Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 am Why not get a cheaper :minivan: instead? :doge: grand caravan with pentagram satan motor and :neat: stow n go seating are around for $10k all day in good shape.
we discussed this

1. I hate dodge. Its an unreasonable, but real hate.

2. the ac is the yfxxxx and not 134a. We test drove one. It sucks balls used :doge: with a pile of miles and ac that sucks AND that i cant work on?

:nope:

But for reals it is a good suggestion we considered.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Just useful examples. IDK what's on the market in airboatville though.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am
Increasing capacity by stretching the current system too thin just doesn't work.

But increasing capacity through additional brick and mortar is super risky. It's a tough situation.

I don't understand why they don't just let demand outstrip supply and print money. $0 incentives, high MSRP, money machine.
Yeah. I'd just max the factories out and let demand go insane. Unless they think there's a solid case for expansion, I wouldn't jump in to a factory build.
STi Crosstrek and BRZ would do that. :hue:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 am Why not get a cheaper :minivan: instead? :doge: grand caravan with pentagram satan motor and :neat: stow n go seating are around for $10k all day in good shape.
we discussed this

1. I hate dodge. Its an unreasonable, but real hate.

2. the ac is the yfxxxx and not 134a. We test drove one. It sucks balls used :doge: with a pile of miles and ac that sucks AND that i cant work on?

:nope:

But for reals it is a good suggestion we considered.
:tints:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 am

And they say indentured labor doesn’t exist in the developed world
Typical conversation here is:
"Did Bobby come in last weekend?"
"Yeah he was here for like 2-3 hours."
"Ok, don't have him submit overtime, it wasn't long enough to qualify."

Or,
"What hours are Jake working?"
"He's doing 10 hour days"
"OK no overtime, that's within the expected work hours for the position."
Well my dude has anyone told you about the joy and beauty of Corp life where you get emails literally 24/7 and are expected to work weekends. Your contract doesn’t even have overtime
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 am
Increasing capacity by stretching the current system too thin just doesn't work.

But increasing capacity through additional brick and mortar is super risky. It's a tough situation.

I don't understand why they don't just let demand outstrip supply and print money. $0 incentives, high MSRP, money machine.
Yeah. I'd just max the factories out and let demand go insane. Unless they think there's a solid case for expansion, I wouldn't jump in to a factory build.
That's what they've been doing, but it sounds like they maxed the factories too far.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am

Or,
Well my dude has anyone told you about the joy and beauty of Corp life where you get emails literally 24/7 and are expected to work weekends. Your contract doesn’t even have overtime
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Or,
Be grateful you have a job.
max225

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 am https://jalopnik.com/subarus-success-in ... 1832525761

Apparently Subarus are as bad as Tesla’s .... unhappy employees stretched capacities ... possibly dog meat lunch sandwhiches :doomed:

That’s not their business model. Like asking gm to do the Subaru model it just doesn’t work. That’s not what their customer expects of them.
They have had aggressive Msrps since about 20 years ago, awd on every vehicle. Shit boxer engines etc they are different by design and it’s working.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am
That's what I've been told on numerous occasions.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Or,
You have a contract? :impressive:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:07 am

those all :neat: but too far for :fax:
other than the prius and the c-max ( :nope: ) those vehicles are on our list.

Although, if we could get a plug in prius, i would not hate that. convincing the wife :doe: ...
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am
Having worked through the 08 crisis I am
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am
You have a contract? :impressive:
Every employee does, unless you’re an illegal working for cash
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am

That’s not their business model. Like asking gm to do the Subaru model it just doesn’t work. That’s not what their customer expects of them.
They have had aggressive Msrps since about 20 years ago, awd on every vehicle. Shit boxer engines etc they are different by design and it’s working.
Wait, what?

Subaru already barely has any incentives. You're right, GM can't do it, but Subaru can and does. I don't think customers are really looking for deals when shopping a Subaru. It's about the AWD, and Love and whatnot.

So drop all incentives to $0 and increase the MSRP to drive volume lower. Maxing out plants beyond capacity at the cost of quality isn't doing the brand any favors.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am Just useful examples. IDK what's on the market in airboatville though.

Although, if we could get a plug in prius, i would not hate that. convincing the wife :doe: ...
Ioniq/Kona are supposed to be a better Prius for less money (used). Has a real transmission.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am

:member: the Cmax has a 8yr/100k transferable warranty on hybrid parts including transmission, electric motor, and battery pack. Get the Energi though it has a stronger electric motor.

Prius is a dog though. They're so very slow. Would rather a Rav4 hybrid just for more grunt.

Hybrid should help reduce fuel cost. Lisa spends next to nothing on fuel now, her Cmax gets 35 MPG on donkey piss in the city vs the Tiguan got 20 MPG on premium...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am

:member: the Cmax has a 8yr/100k transferable warranty on hybrid parts including transmission, electric motor, and battery pack. Get the Energi though it has a stronger electric motor.

Prius is a dog though. They're so very slow. Would rather a Rav4 hybrid just for more grunt.

Hybrid should help reduce fuel cost. Lisa spends next to nothing on fuel now, her Cmax gets 35 MPG on donkey piss in the city vs the Tiguan got 20 MPG on premium...
part of the reason i'm ok with offing the van is we don't put a ton of miles on it; fuel costs are not a big part of this equation.
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am

Wait, what?

Subaru already barely has any incentives. You're right, GM can't do it, but Subaru can and does. I don't think customers are really looking for deals when shopping a Subaru. It's about the AWD, and Love and whatnot.

So drop all incentives to $0 and increase the MSRP to drive volume lower. Maxing out plants beyond capacity at the cost of quality isn't doing the brand any favors.
It isn’t I was pointing out what makes them different. If they charge through the ass they lose their identity . It’s not an aspirational vehicle. It’s supposed to be affordable
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am Man my jimmies are rustled for a transit connect passenger. My local ferd diller has a brand new 2018 XLT for 23k.
Cheap cheap cheap
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 am
Wait, what?

It isn’t I was pointing out what makes them different. If they charge through the ass they lose their identity . It’s not an aspirational vehicle. It’s supposed to be affordable
I'm not saying they should charge $50 for a base crosstek, but you know as well as anyone that there's price sensitivity curves. They could raise MSRPs by a grand or so here and there to tamper demand a bit but still sell the same volume and make more money. This is assuming that demand is truly outpacing supply.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 am

I'm not saying they should charge $50 for a base crosstek, but you know as well as anyone that there's price sensitivity curves. They could raise MSRPs by a grand or so here and there to tamper demand a bit but still sell the same volume and make more money. This is assuming that demand is truly outpacing supply.
I think they are maximizing it effectively ...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:09 pm
Apparently not if they have so much demand that they have to over utilize plants by enslaving people to build cars at reduced quality levels.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

this is a typical answer from a finicane guy vs someone that actually works for a living. :triggered:
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Apparently not if they have so much demand that they have to over utilize plants by enslaving people to build cars at reduced quality levels.
That's just japan. Us labor laws are tougher for hourly workers. You can thank the UAW for that.