Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:225: vs 255 fronts on a 320i, spoiler alert: you're prolly better off getting premium tars when considering dry and wet driving characteristics. Things change with MOAR powah.

Take away, nothing really we already know this shit. I was surprised how little difference the combination of 225/225 vs 225/255 vs 255/255 vs 255/285 made in a track (2%) :whocares:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 am

:225: vs 255 fronts on a 320i, spoiler alert: you're prolly better off getting premium tars when considering dry and wet driving characteristics. Things change with MOAR powah.

Take away, nothing really we already know this shit. I was surprised how little difference the combination of 225/225 vs 225/255 vs 255/255 vs 255/285 made in a track (2%) :whocares:
Tar compound/design > tar width
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:36 am https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/c ... one-elses/ --

Porsche's Intake Manifold Works the Opposite of Everyone Else's
And the result is more horsepower from less fuel.
Interesting.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Thought this was pretty :neat:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/ford ... B10BB8BB6A

Another cool thing we don't get in 'Murica. :disappoint:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:43 am Thought this was pretty :neat:

:boner:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

yeah, very :notbad:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I've had a $20 12v Craftsman made in China air compressor under the seat in my cars for the last 10 years. I use it all the time.

But yeah I agree, if it's a nail or glass or something (most cases) you can just fill it back up, and take care of the leak in a day, month, year, whenever it gets annoying to keep putting air in it. My usual procedure is to hobble it in to work, where I remove the wheel and plug it right in our parking lot. A pack of plugs is like $5 and I can usually seal it after a try or two.

My GTI was a nail magnet for some reason. Something about the DWS tread just grabbed onto nails. I had one rear tire with like 3-4 plugs in it when I finally got new tars on it Imageol:
My Mk5 was a nail magnet too. Ended up buying a $20 pump from pep boys and it's been in my cars ever since. Probably about 10 years old now and still going strong.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
:dat:

I keep a air compressor and a plug kit in my car. I'll use the spare if/when something more catastrophic happens.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

stop ze press:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/bmw- ... -platform/
Report: Next BMW 1 Series, Mercedes-Benz A-class May Share a Platform
:idbu:

has benz and bmw ever shared anything??
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

When we were at the ford dealer as my dad was trading in his Expedition to an Explorer Sport, I saw a transit quite as similar to that in dealer inventory lot. But shorter on height and more bargey, like you would see on Chevy/gmc, etc.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am

Neat in theory, but if you go to an RV show or dealer and see the comparable units that are converted like this from RV builders you start to realize fast these are cramped and a pain in the ass to use for more than an overnight car camping trip. This goes for all the Mercedes Sprinter van conversions as well.

I'm so :disgust: with the whole RV thing now after spending several months looking at Class A, Class B and Class C coaches. There's no good happy medium for these things. You want small enough to go places, but big enough to be comfortable. When you decide to go small, you find out quickly you really want one with water tanks and some kind of bathroom.... storing food and water in a Transit conversion takes most of the space, and you still need to go somewhere with a toilet and shower near by.

The closest thing we found that bridged the gaps was this one configured as the Murphy Bed floorplan at 25 feet overall length:

https://leisurevans.com/unity/specifications/

https://leisurevans.com/unity/floorplans/

Short enough to enter all of the national parks and be driven and parked just about anywhere, short enough to go under everything you would need to. Smart space use, and the bed can be used without extending the pop out, but you lose the ability to walk around the foot of the bed and would need to crawl over it if the pop out is not extended.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Got an idea of the cost to put paint protection film on the 911.

Spoiler: Dis bitch is going to go nude.

I already knew that if I was going to do film on the car there were two points I was not going to compromise on:

1. Full wrap, I don't want seams, or panels that look different because the car is only 1/2 covered.
2. I want it done by a shop that does premium work, wrapping all the edges behind the panels, etc.

So, I got a "rough estimate" from talking to a guy that went to the shop I want to use (the shop is closed this week). He did a 911 Carrera 4 S, so same body as mine. Full wrap: $10,800.

I guess I'll deal with any rock chips as they happen, as I always have. I'm not about to pay $10k to get plastic put on the car and to make sure it's as invisible as possible. I'm just going to paint correct it and ceramic coat it like the other cars.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:lolgasm: that’s an actual paint job price. Those guys have lost their damn minds
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

For that kind of money you could almost have the front resprayed as necessary.
max225

The irony is. The car that needs the wrap is a Honda Civic driven 30k miles a year for a decade. Not a Porsche that is garaged and only taken out for an average what must be at most 5-8k miles annually. Yet Porsches get wrapped....
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 pm :lolgasm: that’s an actual paint job price. Those guys have lost their damn minds
Yeah, and they book up 6 months out.

in 2014 I went there to get a quote to get my exposed carbon roof covered on the Z51. $700. At the time the shop (has about 10 bays as I recall) was full of Lambos, Ferrari's and Pcars getting wrapped. They are the ones that remove the bumper covers and other parts to wrap them completely and have the film have no exposed edges.

Clearly they do a lot of work, but that price is insane, especially since I feel the film always detracts from the paint shine and clarity.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm The irony is. The car that needs the wrap is a Honda Civic driven 30k miles a year for a decade. Not a Porsche that is garaged and only taken out for an average what must be at most 5-8k miles annually. Yet Porsches get wrapped....
My Z06 was littered with small chips on the front end and especially the rear quarters in front of the rear wheels. This car will have the same issues with it's wide hips and front tires throwing trash up onto the body all the time.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 pm For that kind of money you could almost have the front resprayed as necessary.
:dat: is my thought exactly. Especially if I am keeping the car, who gives a crap about a carfax?
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 pm For that kind of money you could almost have the front resprayed as necessary.
:dat: is my thought exactly. Especially if I am keeping the car, who gives a crap about a carfax?
Resprays don’t show up on car fax. No accident no care
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm

interesting. I thought they reported everything.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

It'll look better too as you said. Wraps look fine in photos but in person they are not as nice as paint.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:02 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm
interesting. I thought they reported everything.
I haven't had a single accident ever show up on a carfax.
People buying high dollar Pcars though, tend to get pre purchase inspections, where they will paint meter and determine it's had a bumper resprayed, there goes $10k of "value" because not factory paint :triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yes, but Porsche people are insane. Original paint is highly desired. Paint thickness gauge readings and whatnot are also commonplace.

I say just drive the damned thing and not worry about it. Ceramic coating should be fine.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm
Yes, but Porsche people are insane. Original paint is highly desired. Paint thickness gauge readings and whatnot are also commonplace.

I say just drive the damned thing and not worry about it. Ceramic coating should be fine.
Yep.

Plus, if I did my usual and just traded the car in, nobody would check shit.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Yep.

Plus, if I did my usual and just traded the car in, nobody would check shit.
Well, I bet they would on a Pooorschhaaaaaaa but yea...just fucking enjoy the damned car. That's what you bought it for.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:26 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am

Neat in theory, but if you go to an RV show or dealer and see the comparable units that are converted like this from RV builders you start to realize fast these are cramped and a pain in the ass to use for more than an overnight car camping trip. This goes for all the Mercedes Sprinter van conversions as well.

I'm so :disgust: with the whole RV thing now after spending several months looking at Class A, Class B and Class C coaches. There's no good happy medium for these things. You want small enough to go places, but big enough to be comfortable. When you decide to go small, you find out quickly you really want one with water tanks and some kind of bathroom.... storing food and water in a Transit conversion takes most of the space, and you still need to go somewhere with a toilet and shower near by.

The closest thing we found that bridged the gaps was this one configured as the Murphy Bed floorplan at 25 feet overall length:

https://leisurevans.com/unity/specifications/

https://leisurevans.com/unity/floorplans/

Short enough to enter all of the national parks and be driven and parked just about anywhere, short enough to go under everything you would need to. Smart space use, and the bed can be used without extending the pop out, but you lose the ability to walk around the foot of the bed and would need to crawl over it if the pop out is not extended.
That's a really nice motorhome. Could even shove the bike in there! :notbad: I like it. $140k is tough to swallow though.

I agree, if you're going to get one you can stand up in, it damn well better have a usable cooking area and a sink. A bathroom is nice, although chances are this isn't going to be camped on the side of a highway or a walmart parking lot, almost every campground has toilet and shower facilites (that are for sure use at your own risk, lol). Some pickup truck camper shells have toilets and showers now but they're not nearly as nice as this is.

Like, I'm trying to figure out how to outfit a 4Runner with a sleeping area and interior bike storage and you run out of space :fullretard: fast when you consider how big coolers and water jugs are even for just 3 days off grid. And then you're still pooping in a hole outside in the cold. Honestly probably just better off giving it up and tent camping at that point. What sucks is, I'm like 75% of the way to figuring this out...