Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm

If you're serious about performance buy a fucking Corvette, not a Porsche... and enter an actual race.
Its not about fkn racing. Its about a personal choice in your sportscar. Nothing more. I gave the poster my thoughts based on experience not track day banter.
Serious about performance is the definition of racing.

Driving a sporty car on the street for fun - what you seem to do - is being decidedly NOT serious about performance.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:16 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:02 pm

I think GM only caught a little bit of shit for offering the Z06 with an automatic. These aren't the 4L60E days.

But I do recall numerous articles complaining about the Supra not getting a manual when that news broke a few months back.

GM's 8 speed is garbage. The ZF 8 speed is awesome.

And I agree: fuck both Toyota and BMW for killing manual options.
Go drive a PDK 911 or Cayman-S etc. You wont fkn miss a manual. Do it with an open mind. If you are serious about putting power down and performance its the only game in town. I loved my M235i with the ZF-8 and I love my M2 with DCT. Im not going back to manual unless its a low powered classic type machine. Performance auto/PDK's are the shite.
Porsches are out of my price range, so it makes zero sense for me to write off a manual transmission based on the experience of a car I will never own.
troyguitar

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Go drive a PDK 911 or Cayman-S etc. You wont fkn miss a manual. Do it with an open mind. If you are serious about putting power down and performance its the only game in town. I loved my M235i with the ZF-8 and I love my M2 with DCT. Im not going back to manual unless its a low powered classic type machine. Performance auto/PDK's are the shite.
Porsches are out of my price range, so it makes zero sense for me to write off a manual transmission based on the experience of a car I will never own.
I think the DSG in VW's is really good, to the point where I'd choose it over :manuel: if I were to buy a MK7 or MQB Audi.

I'd still like to test drive a B9 A4/A5 sometime with the 7-speed DSG and sport package, nobody talks about those cars but they seem like they could be a really great compromise car with minimal mods. Not the fastest thing ever or the best autocrosser or the most luxurious or the most capable off-road, but pretty comfy and sporty enough to be entertaining with perhaps a big rear sway bar, aggressive alignment, and good tires.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:23 pm
Corvette is superior to a Porsche in pure performance.

:triggered:
Which is why they are raced far more than porsches. But porsches are far better for the street and country club, because that's the income it takes to have a 150k toy car.
Porsche is a racing operation. They race 911's and are pretty dang good out of the box for the track the day you get it (GT3-RS)

2010 this happend - https://www.motor1.com/news/21884/stand ... -24h-race/
Standard Porsche 911 GT3 RS places 13th overall at Nurburgring 24h race
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Which is why they are raced far more than porsches. But porsches are far better for the street and country club, because that's the income it takes to have a 150k toy car.
Porsche is a racing operation. They race 911's and are pretty dang good out of the box for the track the day you get it (GT3-RS)

2010 this happend - https://www.motor1.com/news/21884/stand ... -24h-race/
Standard Porsche 911 GT3 RS places 13th overall at Nurburgring 24h race
We're talking real people that actually buy the cars, corvettes/miatas/s2000s etc are raced. Porsche is paying millions to professional teams to uphold that image just like Ferrari does. Completely different point. You can race anything including minivans as honda showed us. Not that it makes any sense.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:16 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:09 pm

I think the DSG in VW's is really good, to the point where I'd choose it over :manuel: if I were to buy a MK7 or MQB Audi.

I'd still like to test drive a B9 A4/A5 sometime with the 7-speed DSG and sport package, nobody talks about those cars but they seem like they could be a really great compromise car with minimal mods. Not the fastest thing ever or the best autocrosser or the most luxurious or the most capable off-road, but pretty comfy and sporty enough to be entertaining with perhaps a big rear sway bar, aggressive alignment, and good tires.
Which is why I went DSG in the TDI and why I went DCT in the m3. It is the way to go.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 pm The 2019 A-Class Becomes America’s Cheapest New Mercedes at $32,500 -- https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-a-class-b ... 1831781419
great!! another unnecessary small mercedes sedan in land of :truk: , hatch please!!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Or the sports car version of the zf-8.

I was one of the most hard core manuals forever guys. Then I drove this car. When autos are this good and this FUN, the manual deserves to die.

The manual is perfect for a car where you don't want or need a hugely expensive transmission in it. Civic SI, Veloster, GTI. Everything else? ZF all the things.
:howdareyou:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I like rowing my own gears doe, it will always be my preference.

#old
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

All them I will :manuel: till I die dudes getting slush boxes and raving about it... :lolgasm: hypocrisy :amazing:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm All them I will :manuel: till I die dudes getting slush boxes and raving about it... :lolgasm: hypocrisy :amazing:
I can still appreciate a machine.

You're fucking unbearable sometimes.
max225

Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:46 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm All them I will :manuel: till I die dudes getting slush boxes and raving about it... :lolgasm: hypocrisy :amazing:

Are are you bitching about ? I am not even talking about you? You're still standing your ground with the daily donkey dick strocking. Other "diehards" have converted
Last edited by max225 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 pm Or 370Z...
I really want to drive a 370, too.

And supercharge the :meata:
They're actually quite good, and they're awesome value barely used.

I probably should've still tried to get one as a one-car solution. Oh well. Two cars it is.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:48 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:46 pm

Are are you bitching about ? I am not even talking about you? You're still standing your ground with the daily donkey dick strocking. Other "diehards" have converted
Stroking*

With tact like your's, I'd assume that would be a word you're familiar with.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nice to see that DFD hasn't lost it's ability to have decent, open minded discussions.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I went through hell to get the only damn :manuel: Kamry in the country :bow:

And I realize that the DCTs/good autos are great now, I think everyone does? I just like the :manuel: for more basic commuting purposes, it keeps things a bit more engaging and entertaining. In a pure track situation I would generally take the DCT to be honest.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:00 pm
I went through hell to get the only damn :manuel: Kamry in the country :bow:

And I realize that the DCTs/good autos are great now, I think everyone does? I just like the :manuel: for more basic commuting purposes, it keeps things a bit more engaging and entertaining. In a pure track situation I would generally take the DCT to be honest.
You really did :impressive: feat i must say.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I was one of the most hard core manuals forever guys. Then I drove this car. When autos are this good and this FUN, the manual deserves to die.

The manual is perfect for a car where you don't want or need a hugely expensive transmission in it. Civic SI, Veloster, GTI. Everything else? ZF all the things.
+1

And everything I’ve owned since 2003 has been a manual.

Manuals don’t necessarily add anymore fun for me, but they do allow me more control for a given situation.

So if you give me a good transmission like a dsg, pdk, or zf I don’t have a need for 3 pedals anymore.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 pm

+1

And everything I’ve owned since 2003 has been a manual.

Manuals don’t necessarily add anymore fun for me, but they do allow me more control for a given situation.

So if you give me a good transmission like a dsg, pdk, or zf I don’t have a need for 3 pedals anymore.
I am the guy that refused to buy an auto sports car and buying the PDK was really causing me a lack of sleep for weeks.

In the end though, it was the right choice. I know that when I sit in that 3 hour commute home later this year when the natives go :fullretard: I will be way less stressed when i get home. Also, launching the Z06 to a fast start was always a challenge, riding the fine line of smoking the tires or getting a mediocre launch that wouldn't seem impressive for a car of its power. With the PDK it is never a problem and manual shifting it feels great, other than the fact that my left foot will eventually stomp a hole in the floorboards due to muscle memory and old habits.. :)
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Word, I may get there one day.
Porsche looks sweet man, good buy.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:50 pm Word, I may get there one day.
Thanks man. I'm actually kinda in a state of disbelief. I never thought I would end up buying one since I looked so many times and didn't get it.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225

:lolgasm: Yea... But toyota is shit though...
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 pm
Thanks man. I'm actually kinda in a state of disbelief. I never thought I would end up buying one since I looked so many times and didn't get it.
5/7 It was the right call. Just wish you got it sooner :like:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...