Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:42 pm So, semi-update on the 2019 GTS...

The director of sales reached out to me since discussions stalled with the sales bro over price. Basically I told him that I asked for "My Price" via the website button and was quoted MSRP. I told him that was kind of deceiving as MSRP was listed right next to the button and that I wasn't interested in paying MSRP. Told him that other's are claiming they have gotten 5-9% off MSRP on "normal 911's" nearly immediately upon asking. Basically told him that If they were willing to negotiate we can talk, but buying an outgoing model on the last year for MSRP didn't make me very eager to drop ~$160k including tax and registration.

Waiting to hear what he says. If they are willing to cut 6-7% that puts the OTD price about $150k and I might be willing to move. Will definitely miss Android Auto tho, and this is still a question in my mind.
:like: A clear concise request. Ball meet court. I hope they are willing to respect you with a response that matches your direct but firm and polite inquiry!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:18 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:42 pm So, semi-update on the 2019 GTS...

The director of sales reached out to me since discussions stalled with the sales bro over price. Basically I told him that I asked for "My Price" via the website button and was quoted MSRP. I told him that was kind of deceiving as MSRP was listed right next to the button and that I wasn't interested in paying MSRP. Told him that other's are claiming they have gotten 5-9% off MSRP on "normal 911's" nearly immediately upon asking. Basically told him that If they were willing to negotiate we can talk, but buying an outgoing model on the last year for MSRP didn't make me very eager to drop ~$160k including tax and registration.

Waiting to hear what he says. If they are willing to cut 6-7% that puts the OTD price about $150k and I might be willing to move. Will definitely miss Android Auto tho, and this is still a question in my mind.
:dillerman: gonna :dillerman: should be a good time to buy in the bay, no one is making money in the stock market.... so .. not like they have countless people knocking on that door with startup cash,.
I don't know everyone's situation, but for me this is true.

In July I was actually just thinking I might use my December vest of RSUs and pay cash for a Turbo S and my upcoming trip to Hawaii. Today that same number of shares I sold this week would barely cover this GTS.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:30 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:18 pm

:dillerman: gonna :dillerman: should be a good time to buy in the bay, no one is making money in the stock market.... so .. not like they have countless people knocking on that door with startup cash,.

In July I was actually just thinking I might use my December vest of RSUs and pay cash for a Turbo S and my upcoming trip to Hawaii. Today that same number of shares I sold this week would barely cover this GTS.
We've all been hit by a 40% decline. I "lost" 6 figures. I also started pulling out of the market into cash, as I think something bigger is imminent.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:30 pm

We've all been hit by a 40% decline. I "lost" 6 figures. I also started pulling out of the market into cash, as I think something bigger is imminent.
I'm "only" down 10% YTD.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:55 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 pm

I'm "only" down 10% YTD.
Sounds like you're pretty diversified then..
APPL
FB
AMZN
NVDA
Just to name a few
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:55 pm I'm "only" down 10% YTD.
Sounds like you're pretty diversified then..
APPL
FB
AMZN
NVDA
Just to name a few
...half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities…
Davestr

This is quite amazing if you have not heard or seen this before - https://jalopnik.com/this-ford-mustang- ... 1831106101

I for one, am amazed at the work that had to be done to do this and do it well. You would be the only kid on the block with one of these thats for sure. I love cars and money aside that one invested here, its fkn cool. Creative and off the hook. Bet it drives nice too!
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:39 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:33 pm The G70 intrigues me much more than the new 3 Series.
I wouldn't wanna buy it. Lease it or wait for the first year to work it's way out.
Oh, I'm not rushing to the dealership to place an order. Knowing my luck, though, they'll discontinue the manual trans for the second year.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:03 pm BMW should bring back a kick ass version of the 318. Sporty stripped down hatch would be cool and I think would sell. Heck I think the 318s moved fairly well IIRC
I'd be 5/7 interested in such a thing.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:03 pm BMW should bring back a kick ass version of the 318. Sporty stripped down hatch would be cool and I think would sell. Heck I think the 318s moved fairly well IIRC
Isn’t that a 2 series hatch ? Which is failing....
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
Failing? It was never even offered here, neither was the 1-series hatch.

The 318ti was below their entry level models - not a luxury car at all. If they sold one here today, though, then it would be a stripped 3-door 2-series with a 4 cylinder and cloth seats starting at $29k as a premium BRZ.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:08 am
You mean 1 series overseas?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:16 am
max225 wrote:

The 318ti was below their entry level models - not a luxury car at all. If they sold one here today, though, then it would be a stripped 3-door 2-series with a 4 cylinder and cloth seats starting at $29k as a premium BRZ.
Mercedes cla also starts at $30k, so I don’t see why not.

Porsche currently selling a :manuel: only car as well, it probably wouldn’t hurt bmw.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:16 am
max225 wrote:

Yep. And no one will buy it... it’s not offered here because no one will buy it. Just like v8 powered :manuel: wagons in orange
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:35 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:16 am Failing? It was never even offered here, neither was the 1-series hatch.

Yep. And no one will buy it... it’s not offered here because no one will buy it. Just like v8 powered :manuel: wagons in orange
The ONLY way a 1 hatch will ever be sold, is to lift it up a couple inches, add some faux crosstek panels, maybe roof bars, and it will sell like hot cakes. Just take a look at GLA :lol:

Sad but true
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:16 am Failing? It was never even offered here, neither was the 1-series hatch.

I'd be interested in a small non-lux 4dr hatch from BMW once the gorf gets sold. The idea is cheap fun, a v8 manuel wagon in orange costs north of 60k. There is a difference.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:39 am

The ONLY way a 1 hatch will ever be sold, is to lift it up a couple inches, add some faux crosstek panels, maybe roof bars, and it will sell like hot cakes. Just take a look at GLA :lol:

Sad but true
:dat:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm

I'd be interested in a small non-lux 4dr hatch from BMW once the gorf gets sold. The idea is cheap fun, a v8 manuel wagon in orange costs north of 60k. There is a difference.
BMW X1 and X2 are both cheaper than the golf R
Davestr

You want this Tarsand - http://www.thedrive.com/news/23428/2019 ... ce-package :D :D :D

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-bm ... -in-motion

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-bm ... urbo-four/
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm I'd be interested in a small non-lux 4dr hatch from BMW once the gorf gets sold. The idea is cheap fun, a v8 manuel wagon in orange costs north of 60k. There is a difference.
Aren't the current x1/x2 on FWD platforms? That ain't no BMW.

No one buys expensive luxury sporty cars, but a cheap sporty NON-luxury BMW could sell. See ecoboost Mustang.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:47 pm
max225 wrote:
Aren't the current x1/x2 on FWD platforms? That ain't no BMW.

No one buys expensive luxury sporty cars, but a cheap sporty NON-luxury BMW could sell. See ecoboost Mustang.
They are the top sellers in their lineup. If you have the money get the x3i40m which is in the 60s. Rwd.

The question was asked about cheap bmws. Cheap=fwd or awd for some extra coin. You can also get a 320i near 30k since they are rotting on the lots if rwd is key. If you can’t afford 35k there are dozens of other brands to chose from. I’d love a Ferrari for 80k new as well
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:47 pm Aren't the current x1/x2 on FWD platforms? That ain't no BMW.

They are the top sellers in their lineup. If you have the money get the x3i40m which is in the 60s. Rwd.

The question was asked about cheap bmws. Cheap=fwd or awd for some extra coin. You can also get a 320i near 30k since they are rotting on the lots if rwd is key. If you can’t afford 35k there are dozens of other brands to chose from. I’d love a Ferrari for 80k new as well
It wasn't about cheap BMWs, it was about a cheap small rwd hatch... which hasn't existed in this market since the E36 318ti and to a lesser extent the base Z3 coupe.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 pm
max225 wrote:

It wasn't about cheap BMWs, it was about a cheap small rwd hatch... which hasn't existed in this market since the E36 318ti and to a lesser extent the base Z3 coupe.
My point was it is pointless as it doesn’t exist for a reason. No one will buy it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Not into cute utes
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Not into cute utes
What’s the difference between that and a golf? Serious question ...