Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:55 pm
One day we will all look back at our greedy ways and weep. That day is coming a LOT sooner than we think. We won't be worm food by then yet.
China will overtake the US in every aspect in the next 50-100 years. No doubt. Their government and structure allows them to move much faster than we can. We'll continue spending big bucks on defense, they'll continue to build their economy and innovate, and eventually shift focus to become the military power of the world.
China's economy is bigger than the US. Their infrastructure is better, their cities are better, they are actually making shit vs dealing with gender neutral bathrooms and figuring out what % victim they are.
From a per capita perspective they have not achieved European/US standards but their middle/upper classes are just as big if not BIGGER than the US/European ones by sheer volume.

I give them 15-25 at most, at that point they will surpass the American military as well and the dollar will lose its luster as only the worlds biggest military will reap the benefits of the world. On the other hand, we are still expecting B52s to fly even though they are 100 years old at that point. :disgust: and pathetic.
In 50-100 years it may be some other new government/world order like India since they are reproducing like cockroaches with no end in sight. China WAS smart enough to limit their incredible population grown. Humans are a plague to this planet. We need to stop breeding like cockroaches.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:15 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:05 pm RAV4 hybrid only gets 32mpg? What's the point of that?
Anyone driving that could/should be driving a 10k cheaper prius.
I'm inclined to agree but ride height for me putting kids in the car is an everyday benefit. Not something like handling where I enjoy it once a weekend if I'm lucky.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:44 pm

If it's mid-engined, like the MR2 - put the battery up front and down low. Would help with weight distribution.
Or just make the battery the floor.
:dat: seems a better idea.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My cousins x1/9 (2 of 2), these are old snaps, we were peeling whatever trim we could off the car at that point it still has its windshield attached but the majority of that is off now. Paint is stripped on 90% of the car and Frankie bought sheet metal and a metal rolling dye stand and has cut off the rust that formed on the rear end around the muffler. He figured it out quickly and had the piece welded on by my next visit. There is a nice dual exhaust kit that bolts up well and gets the muffler away from the problem area. This and a fan switch are hot sellers. Along with an aftermarket wiring harness.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EzQbv63

wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 pm My cousins x1/9 (2 of 2), these are old snaps, we were peeling whatever trim we could off the car at that point it still has its windshield attached but the majority of that is off now. Paint is stripped on 90% of the car and Frankie bought sheet metal and a metal rolling dye stand and has cut off the rust that formed on the rear end around the muffler. He figured it out quickly and had the piece welded on by my next visit. There is a nice dual exhaust kit that bolts up well and gets the muffler away from the problem area. This and a fan switch are hot sellers. Along with an aftermarket wiring harness.

:megusta:
Thanks for posting!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm

China will overtake the US in every aspect in the next 50-100 years. No doubt. Their government and structure allows them to move much faster than we can. We'll continue spending big bucks on defense, they'll continue to build their economy and innovate, and eventually shift focus to become the military power of the world.
China's economy is bigger than the US. Their infrastructure is better, their cities are better, they are actually making shit vs dealing with gender neutral bathrooms and figuring out what % victim they are.
From a per capita perspective they have not achieved European/US standards but their middle/upper classes are just as big if not BIGGER than the US/European ones by sheer volume.

I give them 15-25 at most, at that point they will surpass the American military as well and the dollar will lose its luster as only the worlds biggest military will reap the benefits of the world. On the other hand, we are still expecting B52s to fly even though they are 100 years old at that point. :disgust: and pathetic.
In 50-100 years it may be some other new government/world order like India since they are reproducing like cockroaches with no end in sight. China WAS smart enough to limit their incredible population grown. Humans are a plague to this planet. We need to stop breeding like cockroaches.
:micdrop:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

wap wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:59 pm My cousins x1/9 (2 of 2), these are old snaps, we were peeling whatever trim we could off the car at that point it still has its windshield attached but the majority of that is off now. Paint is stripped on 90% of the car and Frankie bought sheet metal and a metal rolling dye stand and has cut off the rust that formed on the rear end around the muffler. He figured it out quickly and had the piece welded on by my next visit. There is a nice dual exhaust kit that bolts up well and gets the muffler away from the problem area. This and a fan switch are hot sellers. Along with an aftermarket wiring harness.

Thanks for posting!
X-1/9! :like: :like:
wap

Davestr wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 pm
wap wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks for posting!
X-1/9! :like: :like:
Have you ever had the pleasure of driving one?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 pm

"Off road" is a lifestyle purchase. As is "performance" since most vehicle purchases right now tend to go towards lifestyle vs need. Manufacturers are trying to cash in. The profit margins on a ZR2 are far higher than on a regular colorado right? Granted the volume is far lower but that's by design. Only so many willing to blow 50k to chill at a mall and bring home a bag of mulch every other month.

Manufacturers are smart, they are expading into "adjacent" categories without taking the risk of re-inventing the wheel. Fraud among the big 3 is really fked.

GM managed their capital expenditures on the :truk: 's far better, no one needed this aluminum and forced induction BS. Ford blew billions trying to re-invent the wheel. To me they went the Edsel round on this.

They DO need something drastic now... The Bronco... perhaps more focus on performance or something. They are failing at mainstream because everyone else has better/as good products, and they can't truly do anything to distinguish themselves, since the brand is not strong enough. Who buys ford for FORD... no one... outside of a few :truk: guys.

Escape Ancient
Explorer Ancient
Edge Ancient
All the cars are just as bad a Chrysler was a few years back as they have gotten no money.

Frankly I don't know WHERE ford is spending their money... because it isn't like they are doing anything on autonomous etc, far behind the other 2 as well. Just a lot of :wtf: happened... they went from market leaders escaping from the doom and gloom of 2008 to a really shitty position and their stock certainly reflects that.
That. It's super sad. Almost as sad as Nissan's fall, really.

You nailed it with their CUVs though. They're old and they feel old compared to everything else. The Escape is a complete piece of shit compared to the CX5. It's... in the running compared to a current gen Rav4 I guess but the Rav has easier infotainment use, simpler interior, and oh yeah a refresh coming out this year. The Explorer needs to be killed at this point it's a fucking minivan and everyone knows it.

Outside the Mustang and F150 nobody strives to own a Ford. Some people might have some blind brand loyalty but even that is going away as Ford has been roasted by the automotive press for issue after issue that they take forever to fix (powershit, Escapes catching fire, infotainment disasters, etc). When they turned it around in 2008 they had a portfolio of products that were very fresh and that people wanted. They have no direction now.

Their hybrid tech works rather well. Why isn't that rolled out to more vehicles? Ecoboost engines, sure, and aluminum F150s ok, but all those resources spent on that meant the rest of the lineup and the vehicles themselves suffered. MFT took WAY too fucking long to fix and I bet that destroyed a lot of brand loyalty. All those people who bought a Fiesta/Focus and got fucked with a huge transmission repair bill? Think they're coming back to buy another Ford? That took too long to fix as well (and it never actually was fixed). Pathetic.
What wrong with the explorer? Seems like I should be looking at those for my needs.

It looks old but it's got a lot of features.
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm

That. It's super sad. Almost as sad as Nissan's fall, really.

You nailed it with their CUVs though. They're old and they feel old compared to everything else. The Escape is a complete piece of shit compared to the CX5. It's... in the running compared to a current gen Rav4 I guess but the Rav has easier infotainment use, simpler interior, and oh yeah a refresh coming out this year. The Explorer needs to be killed at this point it's a fucking minivan and everyone knows it.

Outside the Mustang and F150 nobody strives to own a Ford. Some people might have some blind brand loyalty but even that is going away as Ford has been roasted by the automotive press for issue after issue that they take forever to fix (powershit, Escapes catching fire, infotainment disasters, etc). When they turned it around in 2008 they had a portfolio of products that were very fresh and that people wanted. They have no direction now.

Their hybrid tech works rather well. Why isn't that rolled out to more vehicles? Ecoboost engines, sure, and aluminum F150s ok, but all those resources spent on that meant the rest of the lineup and the vehicles themselves suffered. MFT took WAY too fucking long to fix and I bet that destroyed a lot of brand loyalty. All those people who bought a Fiesta/Focus and got fucked with a huge transmission repair bill? Think they're coming back to buy another Ford? That took too long to fix as well (and it never actually was fixed). Pathetic.
What wrong with the explorer? Seems like I should be looking at those for my needs.

Nothing is "wrong" but there is no reason to go get it over another vehicle.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:50 pm

I guess but that seems subjective. I mean, if I want heated and cooled seats and a power folding 3rd row for under 35k, it fits the bill.

Just an example, those aren't my boxes that need checking but if there is nothing wrong with it I guess it's good for someone.

When I think about something being wrong with a car I think about what you guys were talking about with the brzs spark plugs. A maintenance or probable repair that's unreasonably expensive in comparison to other vehicles available
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:25 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 pm

I guess but that seems subjective. I mean, if I want heated and cooled seats and a power folding 3rd row for under 35k, it fits the bill.

Just an example, those aren't my boxes that need checking but if there is nothing wrong with it I guess it's good for someone.

When I think about something being wrong with a car I think about what you guys were talking about with the brzs spark plugs. A maintenance or probable repair that's unreasonably expensive in comparison to other vehicles available
My mom has an Explorer Sport and loves it. It's been dead reliable in the 2+ years she's owned it, the only things wrong with it have been a senor that's gone bad (don't remember for what) and dead battery that was her fault for detailing the car for 4 hours with the radio on in it in Acc mode.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:25 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Yep. Best country on earth is getting left in the dust because we keep fighting retardedly expensive wars for oil and to justify having a monster size military. Little to no investment in infrastructure, taxes that are driving businesses out of the country, regulations that are making it impossible to make money here. Corrupt politicians diverting money into projects they'll financially gain from. It's all just so fucking stupid.

Meanwhile, China DGAF and they direct their people in a way that we cannot which allows for massive growth.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:17 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Yep. Best country on earth is getting left in the dust because we keep fighting retardedly expensive wars for oil and to justify having a monster size military. Little to no investment in infrastructure, taxes that are driving businesses out of the country, regulations that are making it impossible to make money here. Corrupt politicians diverting money into projects they'll financially gain from. It's all just so fucking stupid.

Meanwhile, China DGAF and they direct their people in a way that we cannot which allows for massive growth.
Try flying a "don't tread on me" flag in China and film it
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Why don't you guys all move to China then?

:disgust:

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am Why don't you guys all move to China then?

No need they own us as is
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am Why don't you guys all move to China then?

It's not necessarily a better place to live, certainly not for an average person... Their government actually gets shit done because average people have no rights.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 pm

It's not necessarily a better place to live, certainly not for an average person... Their government actually gets shit done because average people have no rights.
This
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 pm

:dat:

I just think that the United States has become increasingly divisive especially since the “extremes” of both political parties is not encroaching into the moderates so behavior is becoming more acceptable.

Remember, if the United States falls it won’t be because someone else beat us, it’s because we destroyed ourselves from within.

But yea, at least we can use whatever bathrooms we identify with I guess.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Freedom has a lot of costs.

It cost a lot to let people have the freedom to be fucking morons with the same rights as productive members of society.

You think the minimum wage sould be 15$? Same rights. Think the Earth is 6k years old? Same rights. You think you could refrain from driving a Hyundai off a cliff and murdering yourself ? Same rights.

China doesn't pay those "costs". They just make decisions for those people.

Is that better? Probably. Do you want the government deciding who does and doesn't get the power to make decisions? Probably not.

It's all a big experiment. No body has the answers.
Davestr

Fk China. Today was beautiful Fall(Herbst) day here in Germany. So I took a picture. Want politics hit a newspaper site or Politico etc. Cars rule on nice sunny days. I had fun. Live :) :like:

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:03 pm Fk China. Today was beautiful Fall(Herbst) day here in Germany. So I took a picture. Want politics hit a newspaper site or Politico etc. Cars rule on nice sunny days. I had fun. Live :) :like:

That's a street made for photos. Nice
Davestr

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:21 pm
Davestr wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:03 pm Fk China. Today was beautiful Fall(Herbst) day here in Germany. So I took a picture. Want politics hit a newspaper site or Politico etc. Cars rule on nice sunny days. I had fun. Live :) :like:

That's a street made for photos. Nice
Its one of those classics that just pops up as you drive by it....yet easily missed...
Johnny_P

Dave you're supposed to put your finger over the plate instead of photo editing on your iTrude :disappoint:

Car looks great man! Nice pic.