Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:55 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Zil, MSRP on my 6 was 27,8. Got it for 21,4

Hook Troy up.
Now that's a good :dillerman:

I highly doubt that's possible on a Sport :doe: - $17k for a new 6 would be :mindblown: :scrooge: :impressive:
:yeahok: new 6 for less than a 1 year old 3
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:50 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Yeah. That's the type of spreadsheet that's got me scared to buy a BMW. But who pays 3k in insurance a year for a mazda3? I just don't trust these things.

I mean, I get a BMW or Merc is going to be more expensive but 5k more over the course of 5 years seems reasonable if you the owner love the car and it makes you happy. You are getting something for that extra money.

No one on this boards doing Dave Ramsey dills when it comes to cars.
What would Dave Ramsey advise on cars ?
Spend no more on a car than the amount you find in between the cushions on your couch.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:55 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Zil, MSRP on my 6 was 27,8. Got it for 21,4

Hook Troy up.
Now that's a good :dillerman:

I highly doubt that's possible on a Sport :doe: - $17k for a new 6 would be :mindblown: :scrooge: :impressive:
I posted the window sticker and deal sheet here back in the day. I think it was lost in the great dfd fire of 2016.
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:11 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:50 pm

What would Dave Ramsey advise on cars ?
Spend no more on a car than the amount you find in between the cushions on your couch.
Looked it up.
If you can pay cash for it you’re fine. So I’m ok. :aintcare: been preaching about monthly payments how long on here now ? (Since it obviously doesn’t matter ) :wrong: as always
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:18 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Looked it up.
If you can pay cash for it you’re fine. So I’m ok. :aintcare: been preaching about monthly payments how long on here now ? (Since it obviously doesn’t matter ) :wrong: as always
I thought you were leasing?
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:38 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:18 pm
Looked it up.
Yea but why does that matter? I can buy it in cash if I wanted to. The lease deal is better for me as I can swap cars every 12-18 months, I avoid the epic 6-8k in taxes this way, annually this way.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Why does it matter?

You'd buy a Camry because Mazda as a brand is 20 points lower on a sliding scale of reliability?
If i was shopping a 4 door giving up on life sedan absolutely.
It depends on how you look at it. Not all 4 door reasonably priced semi barges are bland to drive by any means. I mean take a look at ford fusion sport, charger r/t and so on. But that said, for someone that had a 2018 camry for a week, it isn’t terrible to drive like any other consumer, not fun? Absolutely, responsive with throttle? Compared to lot of appliances yes, especially with trans responses. Steering? Light, duh.

I however cannot speak about mazda 6’s, I could probably see myself in a :manuel: 6 doe, if i go back to a commute where i may need to pound miles
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Yea but why does that matter? I can buy it in cash if I wanted to. The lease deal is better for me as I can swap cars every 12-18 months, I avoid the epic 6-8k in taxes this way, annually this way.
Oh, ok. I guess I always understood his point to be that spending money on a depreciating asset is a bad idea, no matter how much money you have and that the cheapest safe car was only way to go.
max225

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Oh, ok. I guess I always understood his point to be that spending money on a depreciating asset is a bad idea, no matter how much money you have and that the cheapest safe car was only way to go.
He said don’t buy a new car unless you have net worth of 1M. As a rough guide..., which isn’t unreasonable
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:52 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm

He said don’t buy a new car unless you have net worth of 1M. As a rough guide..., which isn’t unreasonable
Love to see what that would do to the market/economy
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I've actually spent time behind the wheel of a current gen 6 and Camry. While I do think the Camry (finally) looks pretty good, the 6 is superior driving vehicle. The transmission alone really makes all of the difference (comparing auto to auto). The 6 also can be had with a manual which is more fun to me.

Toyota has actually gotten way better from a styling and "enthusiast" perspective over the past few years but Mazderp is still a better appliance if you care about driving dynamics at all. Interiors on both are very nice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just saw some Canadian bro on YouTube reviewing the Genesis G70 with a manual... Anyone know if they're bringing that to the states? The car is actually great looking.

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:Just saw some Canadian bro on YouTube reviewing the Genesis G70 with a manual... Anyone know if they're bringing that to the states? The car is actually great looking.

It's here. Starts at like $33k IIRC.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:18 pm Just saw some Canadian bro on YouTube reviewing the Genesis G70 with a manual... Anyone know if they're bringing that to the states? The car is actually great looking.

I saw this on the road this week in a metallic wine red and thought it looks fantastic. Funny you mention it! Was at first wondering what it was.
troyguitar

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 pm I lied, the G70 is $36k+ here.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-genesis-g ... 1829180983
I can't afford it, pal. But seems pretty :neat: , RWD, LSD, :manuel: . I'm glad they're making this, too bad they'll sell near zero of 'em. They really should focus Genesis on competing with X1, X3, etc if they want to make money.

Also comes equipped with the Michelin PS4S . I think the premium tire as standard equipment is pretty interesting on Hyundai's part. It is substantially more expensive than other tires (they're likely spending a couple hundred more per car) BUT it should actually bump things up nicely on the stat sheet with no real effort from them. Curious how that plays out. :notsure: if you could really feel a big difference on a :dillerman: test drive but on a back road, the Michelin high performance street tires are pretty fantastic.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Savageese on YouTube is excellent for car reviews imo
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225

Davestr wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 pm For Max - https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... ar-garage/
For sure, I really like it on paper at least. Gonna figure out the in person experience as soon as a local CarMax gets it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 am

I can't afford it, pal. But seems pretty :neat: , RWD, LSD, :manuel: . I'm glad they're making this, too bad they'll sell near zero of 'em. They really should focus Genesis on competing with X1, X3, etc if they want to make money.

Also comes equipped with the Michelin PS4S . I think the premium tire as standard equipment is pretty interesting on Hyundai's part. It is substantially more expensive than other tires (they're likely spending a couple hundred more per car) BUT it should actually bump things up nicely on the stat sheet with no real effort from them. Curious how that plays out. :notsure: if you could really feel a big difference on a :dillerman: test drive but on a back road, the Michelin high performance street tires are pretty fantastic.
I mean it’s the same car as the stinger, which supposedly has yuge discounts. There is also an Alfa, they are all sharing the super busy space.

The F30 is a bit older so it’s available for much cheaper tho.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:12 pm
Davestr wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 pm For Max - https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... ar-garage/
For sure, I really like it on paper at least. Gonna figure out the in person experience as soon as a local CarMax gets it.
:like: :like:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 am I can't afford it, pal. But seems pretty :neat: , RWD, LSD, :manuel: . I'm glad they're making this, too bad they'll sell near zero of 'em. They really should focus Genesis on competing with X1, X3, etc if they want to make money.

I mean it’s the same car as the stinger, which supposedly has yuge discounts. There is also an Alfa, they are all sharing the super busy space.

Stinger is G80-sized, the G70 is smaller and lighter... and has :manuel:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:29 pm
max225 wrote: I mean it’s the same car as the stinger, which supposedly has yuge discounts. There is also an Alfa, they are all sharing the super busy space.

Stinger is G80-sized, the G70 is smaller and lighter... and has :manuel:
:impressive: another 3 series competitor when no one is buying sedans. Koreans are crazy.

Model 3 is dominating that field and outselling every mid sized luxury sedan combined
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:29 pm Stinger is G80-sized, the G70 is smaller and lighter... and has :manuel:
:impressive: another 3 series competitor when no one is buying sedans. Koreans are crazy.

Model 3 is dominating that field and outselling every mid sized luxury sedan combined
:dat:

They are fools for building/selling it here, but I'm still glad they are and think it's cool.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 am

One of those I gotta see these moments, where's the :manuel: stinger at Kia.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.