Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:45 am
Johnny_P wrote:
:wat: year Mazzder? They had a lot of rust issues up until like 2005 ish.

Rust proofing was one area that VW did really well IMO. And paint quality. For the price at least.
Mazderp rust is more like until 2014. :disgust:
Ah. Gay.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

For the record the worst/least reliable car I have ever had was a 1993 Mazda 626, and then my grandpa had the same car from 95 with the same number of endless issues. It led me to work on cars... as we got royally ripped off as a family trying to keep that thing around. :disgust:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

So after 3 months my suspension has finally arrived. I go home Friday so I’ll pick it up Monday. I’m pretty damn excited.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/porsche ... obili.html

Fast cars to be faster, electric and be built by Porsche. Savvy buy this is.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Davestr wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:17 am https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/porsche ... obili.html

:notbad:
Johnny_P

Dbest wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 pm So after 3 months my suspension has finally arrived. I go home Friday so I’ll pick it up Monday. I’m pretty damn excited.
for the 4R?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Apparently there's a lawsuit regarding tensioners on Mk6's. I've never heard of this until today.

If this goes through I should be able to get back 100% of the cost for replacement on my GTI.

max225

Davestr wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:17 am https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/porsche ... obili.html

Is that the one that nearly killed Richard Hammond?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:05 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:18 pm Time to pick the brain of DFD.

So my brother's MkV GTI is in the shop now because it was making some strange noise from the right rear wheel. It turns out his rear right spring is broken and the left rear is on the way out. :dafuq:

The :dillerman: wants $323 PER SPRING with install. The car has 106k on it and he can't :plac:. I told him to look at cup kits to refresh the whole suspension or just buy a new set of springs whether it be H&R or Eibach. Might as well lower it a tiny bit while he's at it.

Koni Yellow's are $777 and the SRT's are $581. He doesn't need the adjustablity of the yellows.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-parts/ ... 1145-1062/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-parts/ ... 1125-1062/

Call AWE to see if they have this cup kit in stock and get the car over to them? They have H&R and Eibach Sportline springs as well.
https://www.awe-tuning.com/h-r-cup-kit- ... 1-4in-4875

What say DFD?
I'd go cup kit and be done. It's usually only a few days out if you order.
He did. Went with the H&R Touring Cup Kit which should be here either tomorrow or Friday from AWE. Local shop is doing the install for $636 including alignment.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:08 am

Is that the one that nearly killed Richard Hammond?
Yeah. Full :plaid: :nuke: style.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:05 am

I'd go cup kit and be done. It's usually only a few days out if you order.
He did. Went with the H&R Touring Cup Kit which should be here either tomorrow or Friday from AWE. Local shop is doing the install for $636 including alignment.
in4impressions I was pretty impressed with the cup kit on my friend's Focus. Rode well. Really low though.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am

in4impressions I was pretty impressed with the cup kit on my friend's Focus. Rode well. Really low though.
We'll see. He's been complaining for years how horribly it drove when compared to my Mk6 and Mk7. I drove it for first time in a while on Sunday when he wanted me to listen for the noise and the suspension wasn't as firm as a new car obviously but his clutch is bizarre. It feels way different from my R, and previous 2 GTI's. I think Langhorne installed it almost a year ago so he's well past break in. I'll never take my :gorf: there.
max225

BERLIN -- Germany's leading auto makers have thrown their support behind the abolition of all import tariffs for cars between the European Union and the U.S. in an effort to find a peaceful solution to the brewing trade war.

The U.S. ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, brought the proposal for a broader industry trade pact to the Trump administration on Wednesday, according to people familiar with the situation.

That would mean scrapping the EU's 10% tax on auto imports from the U.S. and other countries and the 2.5% duty on auto imports in the U.S. As a prerequisite, the Europeans want President Donald Trump's threat of imposing a 25% border tax on European auto imports off the table.
#winning. Possibly more cars sold to europe since this would actually made american vehicles more competitive, vs their one sided tariff BS.
I4europeanunions losing their shit since their workers earn double the US and "need" the protections. :lol:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Ballz. Wife didn't get offers for any of the Charlotte area jobs. Next (and final for now) interview is in Phoenix. If she gets an offer, we're moving since it'd be the only one. (insert rant about the job market being great for everyone except for my own family...)

What cheap cars have cooled seats and don't suck? All I can think of is 06-13 IS350.

Does anyone do aftermarket cooled seats yet?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 am Ballz. Wife didn't get offers for any of the Charlotte area jobs. Next (and final for now) interview is in Phoenix. If she gets an offer, we're moving since it'd be the only one. (insert rant about the job market being great for everyone except for my own family...)

What cheap cars have cooled seats and don't suck? All I can think of is 06-13 IS350.

Dry heat brah. No worries.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
Dbest wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 pm So after 3 months my suspension has finally arrived. I go home Friday so I’ll pick it up Monday. I’m pretty damn excited.
for the 4R?
Yes. I killed the stock dampeners. To much time on unpaved washboard rutted dirt roads. 30-40 minutes of it at like 35mph and they got HOT. It smelled like burning, the shocks faded to almost useless, and they have been leaking ever since. I’m surprised I got almost 100K out of the factory setup.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote:
What'd you get - Icon?
I’m not an Icon fan but I got their rear springs, for the main suspension I went with King. 2.5” lift in the front and 2” in the rear.

- King OEM 2.5” bodied front coilovers with remote reservoirs, extended travel, and custom valved.
- King OEM 2.5” bodied rear shocks with remote reservoirs, custom length, and custom valved.
- JBA caster corrected upper control arms with their Cerakote finished high articulation balljoints.
-Machined rear bump stop spacers for the new shock length and tire size (to avoid bottoming out and body to rear tire rubbing)
-Icon 2” lift standard load rear springs.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 am Ballz. Wife didn't get offers for any of the Charlotte area jobs. Next (and final for now) interview is in Phoenix. If she gets an offer, we're moving since it'd be the only one. (insert rant about the job market being great for everyone except for my own family...)

:notsure:

Triple digits in the shade = :thisisfine: sounds a bit :yeahok: to me. I come from the land of the ice and snow :doe:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:43 am
Desertbreh wrote:

Triple digits in the shade = :thisisfine: sounds a bit :yeahok: to me. I come from the land of the ice and snow :doe:
Is it actual ac or is it fanning hot air up your ass. A lot of the “cooled” seats I used suck balls
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:43 am
Desertbreh wrote:

I'm being a little facetious. About 50/50 I guess.

I have to admit I'm getting used to the heat, the first summer is always a kick in the balls. Observations in no particular order.

1. "Dry Heat" is a real thing up to 110 degrees, after that , its just hot. You can walk in shorts and a t-shirt in 108 degree sunshine hundreds of yards from your car to wherever you are going and not break a sweat.
2. Late July and August in Phoenix sees monsoonal moisture pushes from Mexico....that's where the hell really is....105-110 and 30 percent humidity. Gross.
3. You don't need to worry about cooled seats, it's not like you wear suits to work. Just get a car with a basic A/C system that kicks ass. Which isn't your RX-8.
4. Don't focus on the HVAC in your car....worry about the HVAC in YOUR HOUSE. Buy a house with an HVAC system that can handle 120 degrees. That way you say fuck it when things get crazy outside.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:43 am :notsure:

Is it actual ac or is it fanning hot air up your ass. A lot of the “cooled” seats I used suck balls
This. A lot of this shit doesn't start working for like 20 minutes, at which point you've often arrived.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Lived in Tucson for 7 years. Dry heat is BS, Hot is fucking hot. Phoenix is worse than Tucson.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:50 pm Lived in Tucson for 7 years. Dry heat is BS, Hot is fucking hot. Phoenix is worse than Tucson.
Eh, I'd rather live in the Southwest/Desert that in the South.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
stripethree wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:50 pm Lived in Tucson for 7 years. Dry heat is BS, Hot is fucking hot. Phoenix is worse than Tucson.
Sure, but I sweat a lot when it's 75 here. I'm guessing I'll sweat at 90+ regardless of humidity. :iono:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Sure, but I sweat a lot when it's 75 here. I'm guessing I'll sweat at 90+ regardless of humidity. :iono:
90 is :notbad: with 9% humidity. I'm not going to try to blow sunshine up your ass :doe: If you're really considering moving here yeah, you both need to come out for a week in the summer and see for yourself.