Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Langhorne. They want $1,032 for cup kit install. :mindblown:

Not sure he'll go for the endlinks but I'll mention it. He recently had the clutch done too but unfortunately he can't :plac: so he keeps having to dump money into it.

He actually went with the Sport kit. 1.9 in front, 1.3 rear. :notsure: why. Told him to go with the touring kit...
He gonna :nuke: that bumper on the first parking block he hits.

$1k to install shocks and springs. Waw. I'd shop around. Z used to live literally 5 minute walk from that place, maybe he knows somewhere to go. Place called Vince's up the road or All Pro Auto Service get good reviews :iono:
Book times for springs/struts is usually 2.0-2.5 hours per corner no matter the car. Figure $125/hr and you're right on the money... plus an alignment.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm

$1k to install shocks and springs. Waw. I'd shop around. Z used to live literally 5 minute walk from that place, maybe he knows somewhere to go. Place called Vince's up the road or All Pro Auto Service get good reviews :iono:
Book times for springs/struts is usually 2.0-2.5 hours per corner no matter the car. Figure $125/hr and you're right on the money... plus an alignment.
Any particular reason local shops are the same as the :dillerman:?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Could ask Fledonfoot how many hours it takes on the books. I'm sure there are some throw away parts like nuts and bolts too because #germanengineering

I'd be surprised if the whole shebang took more than 8 hours. Did $1k include alignment?
Probably. I assume he's going to need new strut mounts because 106k.

It did. I asked my guy at NP and they were about $150 cheaper in total. I'm thinking North Penn over an indy place since it's so close. He just got off the phone with another local place that's $870 all in. With NP at only $12 shouldn't it go there?
Either one. I liked the service at NP and thought they were always fair.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Because they can get it?

Good indy shops are now getting to the point where they charge near/at dealer rates... because the demand is real and people WANT to service with them. All of the profit is in the labor, and good techs cost good money, too. Labor guides are easily accessible thanks to AllData and Mitchell -- hell, those guides will show factory warranty pay times vs acceptable customer pay numbers. Typically you're looking at 1.5-2x warranty pay labor times for a customer pay repair.
Johnny_P

So 8 hrs plus alignment :notbad: around what I figured it would be. So yeah you're really just shopping the hourly rate of their mechanics at that point.
Johnny_P

NP will also run the car through the car wash if you want that.

Not the hand :waxer: :jizz: shine service you get at POTML doe :jimp:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

GBerg Im gonna go against the grain here and push for a full :plac: scenario!! Summer is in full swing and its DFD. So tell the man to step up and Plac that Gorf outta here :) :trollface:
Johnny_P

Davestr wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:12 pm

GBerg Im gonna go against the grain here and push for a full :plac: scenario!! Summer is in full swing and its DFD. So tell the man to step up and Plac that Gorf outta here :) :trollface:
106k miles in a GTI is literally the definition of poverty :disgust:
#firstworldproblems

Hope it doesn't start to nickel and dime him. Man. Just the thought of my GTI ownership makes me :rage:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:29 pm

:wat: :dillerman: is it at?
Langhorne. They want $1,032 for cup kit install. :mindblown:

Not sure he'll go for the endlinks but I'll mention it. He recently had the clutch done too but unfortunately he can't :plac: so he keeps having to dump money into it.

He actually went with the Sport kit. 1.9 in front, 1.3 rear. :notsure: why. Told him to go with the touring kit...
Or you can lease a new GTI for 3 months for that money. Paying those service costs is for :derp: suckers. FK the :dillerman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote:
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:59 pm I'd be tempted to tell him to go with the Koni STR.T kit you linked above. If he's not :stig: they should work out fine and be worlds better than the OEM 106k miles stuff.
Problem is getting it here I think. :dillerman: said the car isn't safe to drive since a spring is broken.

I'm still going to have him call AWE for estimate on the individual struts and springs.
Not trying to speak out of school here, but kinda seems like :crang: :dillerman: :bs: .

Springs don't really wear out, they should be about as durable as a crangshaft. Can they get pics for him or something? I'd likely try to take it elsewhere.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 pm
Because they can get it?

Good indy shops are now getting to the point where they charge near/at dealer rates... because the demand is real and people WANT to service with them. All of the profit is in the labor, and good techs cost good money, too. Labor guides are easily accessible thanks to AllData and Mitchell -- hell, those guides will show factory warranty pay times vs acceptable customer pay numbers. Typically you're looking at 1.5-2x warranty pay labor times for a customer pay repair.
What about parts availability? One reason I was always hesitant to go indy is because if it needs something VW specific I don't know if they'd be able to get it. Like in this instance if he needs new strut mounts. Probably can't go to Napa for those.
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:18 pm 106k miles in a GTI is literally the definition of poverty :disgust:
#firstworldproblems

Hope it doesn't start to nickel and dime him. Man. Just the thought of my GTI ownership makes me :rage:
Found a local shop that'll do it for $636 including alignment. If I remember right he just had the clutch and a carbon clean done not too long ago. Car SHOULD be good for a while now.

He said he can't :plac:. Probably :baby: reasons. :disappoint:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:18 pm

#firstworldproblems

I wonder what your STI will be like with 60k miles + 6 + years... :thisisfine:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:
Problem is getting it here I think. :dillerman: said the car isn't safe to drive since a spring is broken.

I'm still going to have him call AWE for estimate on the individual struts and springs.
Not trying to speak out of school here, but kinda seems like :crang: :dillerman: :bs: .

Springs don't really wear out, they should be about as durable as a crangshaft. Can they get pics for him or something? I'd likely try to take it elsewhere.
They uploaded a video for him much like the crangshaft diller did.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

#firstworldproblems

U and me! Fan of the concept but not the VW quality
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm Not trying to speak out of school here, but kinda seems like :crang: :dillerman: :bs: .

They uploaded a video for him much like the crangshaft diller did.
Oh that's good. I didn't :readthethread: , looks like he's on a decent path. Hopefully :plac: soon :doe:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:34 pm

#firstworldproblems

We will never know
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:34 pm I wonder what your STI will be like with 60k miles + 6 + years... :thisisfine:
We will never know
It'll be in the hands of some flatbrimmer that's for sure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:34 pm

We will never know
:amazing:
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
We will never know
It'll be in the hands of some flatbrimmer that's for sure.

And I’ll be in some milquetoast automatic CUV :fuckyeah:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:00 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 pm It'll be in the hands of some flatbrimmer that's for sure.

milquetoast
:wat: is that
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:02 pm

milquetoast
Submissive or timid
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:

I’ve seen cracked springs a bunch of times before, both with Toyota and Porsche.

Ultimately, it’s metal fatigue and they can snap. I’ve seen it on a couple of 993/996 cars and tons of older Camry and Corollas. Usually it’s right at the top or the bottom on the last full/half coil or so, as it forms into the seat on the strut or upper mount.

In 12 years, I’ve probably seen it once or twice a year?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 pm
Because they can get it?

What about parts availability? One reason I was always hesitant to go indy is because if it needs something VW specific I don't know if they'd be able to get it. Like in this instance if he needs new strut mounts. Probably can't go to Napa for those.
Bosch, Mann, ATE, Continental, Boka, etc make most of VW’s parts. They’re offered third party too, if you do some quick research on the part... places like RockAuto are great because they list the manufacturer and cross reference OEM part numbers. You’ll find just about any store can order an aftermarket option for most parts on your mass market cars.

But even then the Indy shop can easily order parts from the dealer. The dealer has a wholesale price for everything... usually a 15% discount off list. Indy shop won’t make as much margin with OEM part over sourcing their own aftermarket, but finding the part is easy enough.

That said, some parts are dealer only, and for a reason. I had my brother in law’s 2010 Merc C300 in for a no start issue. Was able to diagnose it as a failed ignition switch. Went to order the part and called 6 Benz dealers to order the steering column and EPS ECU.... shot down every time. Mercedes corporate block the sale of that part to anyone outside of a dealership service department as the immobilizer info is held in the column and must be coded to the car. A job I could have done for $1100 wound out costing $1900 because of this restriction. Stuff like this will only get more common.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

If it's not too late, MKV bro should go with the Driver Gear springs. Linear and with similar rates to stock, very mile <1" drop, and will work with factory struts.

Part numbers:

2 door Manual, 2.5, GTI, or TDI = 5K3071677A
2 door DSG, GTI or TDI = 5K3071677B

4 door, Manual, GTI or TDI = 5K4071677A
4 door, DSG, GTI or TDI = 5K4071677B

Will be ~$220 for the set from Keffer.

New dampers and mounts for all four corners - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-str ... mk6strshk2

:bow:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:02 pm

milquetoast
:crang:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.