Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:46 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Is bro able to DIY stuff, or is this all going to be done at some sort of :dillerman: ?
No DIY at all. It'll be either the :dillerman: or AWE.

The cheaper thing to do is a set of springs but is it really a good idea put a set of springs on struts that have 106k on them? I think not.
How much do some Bilsteins run? I'd do a set of new springs and new shocks. Get an alignment when done and call it a day.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:18 pm Time to pick the brain of DFD.

So my brother's MkV GTI is in the shop now because it was making some strange noise from the right rear wheel. It turns out his rear right spring is broken and the left rear is on the way out. :dafuq:

The :dillerman: wants $323 PER SPRING with install. The car has 106k on it and he can't :plac:. I told him to look at cup kits to refresh the whole suspension or just buy a new set of springs whether it be H&R or Eibach. Might as well lower it a tiny bit while he's at it.

Koni Yellow's are $777 and the SRT's are $581. He doesn't need the adjustablity of the yellows.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-parts/ ... 1145-1062/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-koni-parts/ ... 1125-1062/

Call AWE to see if they have this cup kit in stock and get the car over to them? They have H&R and Eibach Sportline springs as well.
https://www.awe-tuning.com/h-r-cup-kit- ... 1-4in-4875

What say DFD?
Id :nope: dealer and presumably you’re more mechanically inclined on suspension, or [user not found] or anyone he or u know that can take care of it
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Apex

Where does broski live?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:46 pm

No DIY at all. It'll be either the :dillerman: or AWE.

The cheaper thing to do is a set of springs but is it really a good idea put a set of springs on struts that have 106k on them? I think not.
How much do some Bilsteins run? I'd do a set of new springs and new shocks. Get an alignment when done and call it a day.
From AWE the prices are below. Need to add a spring set too. I don't know which one matches with which strut. I assume they would though.

Koni Yellow's
F: 228.20 x2
R: 116.20 x2
$688.80 + spring set

Bilstein B8
F: 210.95 x2
R: 88.48 x2
$598 + spring set
Apex

I'd be tempted to tell him to go with the Koni STR.T kit you linked above. If he's not :stig: they should work out fine and be worlds better than the OEM 106k miles stuff.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:59 pm I'd be tempted to tell him to go with the Koni STR.T kit you linked above. If he's not :stig: they should work out fine and be worlds better than the OEM 106k miles stuff.
Problem is getting it here I think. :dillerman: said the car isn't safe to drive since a spring is broken.

I'm still going to have him call AWE for estimate on the individual struts and springs.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:I'd be tempted to tell him to go with the Koni STR.T kit you linked above. If he's not :stig: they should work out fine and be worlds better than the OEM 106k miles stuff.
The STRT orange konis are supposed to be the same valving as the yellow sports set to soft, which is great for street use.
Apex

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:00 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:59 pm I'd be tempted to tell him to go with the Koni STR.T kit you linked above. If he's not :stig: they should work out fine and be worlds better than the OEM 106k miles stuff.
Problem is getting it here I think. :dillerman: said the car isn't safe to drive since a spring is broken.

I'm still going to have him call AWE for estimate on the individual struts and springs.
Does he have AAA or something to get it towed out of :dillerman: ?
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:03 pm
Apex wrote:I'd be tempted to tell him to go with the Koni STR.T kit you linked above. If he's not :stig: they should work out fine and be worlds better than the OEM 106k miles stuff.
The STRT orange konis are supposed to be the same valving as the yellow sports set to soft, which is great for street use.
:notbad:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

This or something like Bilstein OEM replacements. Don’t get adjustables.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I think he's ordering the cup kit. I don't believe they're adjustable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The H&R cup kit from AWE. Their installs are booked until July. Anyone have good performance shop recommendations around here?

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:12 pm I think he's ordering the cup kit. I don't believe they're adjustable.

Probably fine. For the Focus H&R had a cup and a street kit. The cup kit lowered it WAY too much but the street was perfect. IDK if that is still an option.

You could also do driver gear springs from VW. Teo has those on his MK7 and it looks nice without being lowered too much.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:16 pm The H&R cup kit from AWE. Their installs are booked until July. Anyone have good performance shop recommendations around here?

RT Tuning and PSI Proformance come up sometimes in Subaru boards :iono: Struts and springs are easy as shit though, just about any mom and pop should be able to do it well. Alignments on the other hand...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:12 pm I think he's ordering the cup kit. I don't believe they're adjustable.

Probably fine. For the Focus H&R had a cup and a street kit. The cup kit lowered it WAY too much but the street was perfect. IDK if that is still an option.

You could also do driver gear springs from VW. Teo has those on his MK7 and it looks nice without being lowered too much.
He went with the H&R Touring kit. I think it's an inch and a half lowering.

Car has 106k on it so I don't think just springs are the way to go.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:16 pm The H&R cup kit from AWE. Their installs are booked until July. Anyone have good performance shop recommendations around here?

RT Tuning and PSI Proformance come up sometimes in Subaru boards :iono: Struts and springs are easy as shit though, just about any mom and pop should be able to do it well. Alignments on the other hand...
He's gonna check with the VW :dillerman: on the install estimates first since it's already there. AWE can get him the parts by the end of the week.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

He went with the H&R Touring kit. I think it's an inch and a half lowering.

Car has 106k on it so I don't think just springs are the way to go.

I'd suggest new sway bar end links (OEM are fine) and upper strut bearings. Cheap to replace if you're doing it all.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm

He's gonna check with the VW :dillerman: on the install estimates first since it's already there. AWE can get him the parts by the end of the week.
:wat: :dillerman: is it at?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Jim Beam.
:doomed:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Jim Beam.
:doomed:
Holy shit :nuke: :popcorn:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Langhorne. They want $1,032 for cup kit install. :mindblown:

Not sure he'll go for the endlinks but I'll mention it. He recently had the clutch done too but unfortunately he can't :plac: so he keeps having to dump money into it.

He actually went with the Sport kit. 1.9 in front, 1.3 rear. :notsure: why. Told him to go with the touring kit...
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Not sure he'll go for the endlinks but I'll mention it. He recently had the clutch done too but unfortunately he can't :plac: so he keeps having to dump money into it.

He actually went with the Sport kit. 1.9 in front, 1.3 rear. :notsure: why. Told him to go with the touring kit...
He gonna :nuke: that bumper on the first parking block he hits.

$1k to install shocks and springs. Waw. I'd shop around. Z used to live literally 5 minute walk from that place, maybe he knows somewhere to go. Place called Vince's up the road or All Pro Auto Service get good reviews :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm

$1k to install shocks and springs. Waw. I'd shop around. Z used to live literally 5 minute walk from that place, maybe he knows somewhere to go. Place called Vince's up the road or All Pro Auto Service get good reviews :iono:
Yeah he just called back and switched it to Touring thankfully.

He's going to call the local shops now. $1k for a cup kit install is flat out crazy.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm

He's going to call the local shops now. $1k for a cup kit install is flat out crazy.
Could ask Fledonfoot how many hours it takes on the books. I'm sure there are some throw away parts like nuts and bolts too because #germanengineering

I'd be surprised if the whole shebang took more than 8 hours. Did $1k include alignment?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Could ask Fledonfoot how many hours it takes on the books. I'm sure there are some throw away parts like nuts and bolts too because #germanengineering

I'd be surprised if the whole shebang took more than 8 hours. Did $1k include alignment?
Probably. I assume he's going to need new strut mounts because 106k.

It did. I asked my guy at NP and they were about $150 cheaper in total. I'm thinking North Penn over an indy place since it's so close. He just got off the phone with another local place that's $870 all in. With NP at only $12 shouldn't it go there?