:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:57 pm
I've noticed values stabilizing on them and clean ones actually gaining in value. It's entirely possible that at some point it'll appreciate more than my C5.

Now that the bugs are ironed out, I should really see if I can sell the C5. I could pick this thing up for quite a bit less than I sell the C5 for and have a new project to play with...
I'd keep something like that original :( I think that's the big draw for me with these cars. They are only original once. Later model F bodies were always my "highschool" dream cars... Sometimes I shock myself with my "redneck" ways, even though I wasn't even born in the best gd damn country on earth.
It was too my high school dream car...but so was the C5.

I don't think I'd go crazy with this sort of thing either. Probably tasteful :ramz: (C5Z fronts square), decent exhaust and call it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:57 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 pm
Lemme know if you’re serious. I really think they will be/are classic at some point soon. As nearly all have been ragged to absolute shit
I've noticed values stabilizing on them and clean ones actually gaining in value. It's entirely possible that at some point it'll appreciate more than my C5.

Now that the bugs are ironed out, I should really see if I can sell the C5. I could pick this thing up for quite a bit less than I sell the C5 for and have a new project to play with...
:like:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:14 pm

I'd keep something like that original :( I think that's the big draw for me with these cars. They are only original once. Later model F bodies were always my "highschool" dream cars... Sometimes I shock myself with my "redneck" ways, even though I wasn't even born in the best gd damn country on earth.

I don't think I'd go crazy with this sort of thing either. Probably tasteful :ramz: (C5Z fronts square), decent exhaust and call it.
To me the C5 was always a bit of a rich mans car... I was pleasantly surprised when I got mine for 25k with 19k miles when I was 22 :doe: dat Detroit Lambo
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm

To me the C5 was always a bit of a rich mans car... I was pleasantly surprised when I got mine for 25k with 19k miles when I was 22 :doe: dat Detroit Lambo
Oh, exactly. I'd look longingly at them and think "one day..."

Then I bought one for $17k 15 years later.

:impressive: :waxer:

But working on that Camaro...just brought back the :jimp: I felt back in the day for them. I've actually been trolling CL and whatnot for them and they just don't pop up around here for non-drugs prices. This car by you would sell for $12k+ out here. Lots of dudes like me dreaming of these things.

If it were Orange, I'd probably be booking a plane ticket right now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

SLP mods would be the only ones I'd do.... Dat giant center exhaust :wub:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm

But working on that Camaro...just brought back the :jimp: I felt back in the day for them. I've actually been trolling CL and whatnot for them and they just don't pop up around here for non-drugs prices. This car by you would sell for $12k+ out here. Lots of dudes like me dreaming of these things.

Out :unicorn: the :unicorn: :yikes:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:38 pm

SLP mods would be the only ones I'd do.... Dat giant center exhaust :wub:
SLP mods are somewhat OEM+ and get a pass, agreed.

It's a Z28, doe...so no hood scoop and it needs to stay that way.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

:lolol:

I really want my next car to be orange. But the level of :unicorn: of this thing sure is tempting. At least it's blooo
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:41 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm

I really want my next car to be orange. But the level of :unicorn: of this thing sure is tempting. At least it's blooo
I :member: the epic XJ in Whorage... some compromises have to made on those 1 of 1 vehicles...
152 made in a 10 year model run
52 rusted away
50 with over 300k miles
35 crashed
10 with torn up interiors and derped up owners
4 will burried with their owners... Never pry it from the cold dead hands
1 for sale

But... I WANT IT IN ANOTHER COLOR :sissyfight:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Both of you guys need to quit your jobs, move to Rapid City South Dakota and buy a trailer. :gtfo: with this "Replace my Corvette with a similar vintage Camaro" talk. What is it? The terribad interior? The useless back seats? The terrible handling? Does your Corvette handle too well Chris?

Acceptable Camaros older than your Corvette were made from 1967-1971. MAYBE repower a perfect IROC-Z with an engine that has some balls. Goddam. What's next? An above ground pool?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 pm Both of you guys need to quit your jobs, move to Rapid City South Dakota and buy a trailer. :gtfo: with this "Replace my Corvette with a similar vintage Camaro" talk. What is it? The terribad interior? The useless back seats? The terrible handling? Does your Corvette handle too well Chris?

Acceptable Camaros older than your Corvette were made from 1967-1971. MAYBE repower a perfect IROC-Z with an engine that has some balls. Goddam. What's next? An above ground pool?
:disgust:

He mentioned several times that there are no hills or turns in Detroit. Do you even Woodward bro? Handling is for those European frou frou snobs that lost the war without our god damn help, THIS IS AMERICA. The birthplace of the "BOULEVARD RIDE".
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 pm Both of you guys need to quit your jobs, move to Rapid City South Dakota and buy a trailer. :gtfo: with this "Replace my Corvette with a similar vintage Camaro" talk. What is it? The terribad interior? The useless back seats? The terrible handling? Does your Corvette handle too well Chris?

He mentioned several times that there are no hills or turns in Detroit. Do you even Woodward bro? Handling is for those European frou frou snobs that lost the war without our god damn help, THIS IS AMERICA. The birthplace of the "BOULEVARD RIDE".
Then just get a 69 Camaro, tub it and narrow the rear end, and install a 502 with a giant Weiand 8-71 sticking through the hood.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Then just get a 69 Camaro, tub it and narrow the rear end, and install a 502 with a giant Weiand 8-71 sticking through the hood.
You're god damn right.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 pm

You're god damn right.

Epic video.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
:bravo: :lolol: :bravo:

Couldn't agree more, :doe:

Around here, these were always, always, driven by brain dead versions of :sawce: who didn't have 2 nickels to rub together otherwise but still washed and waxed their car every Saturday with their big-haired girlfriend wearing terry cloth shorts and mucho lipstick. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Around here, these were always, always, driven by brain dead versions of :sawce: who didn't have 2 nickels to rub together otherwise but still washed and waxed their car every Saturday with their big-haired girlfriend wearing terry cloth shorts and mucho lipstick. :disgust:
:lolgasm:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:44 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:25 pm

:lolgasm:
High praise coming from a wordsmith such as yourself. :bow:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Ford the record that Z28 puts down same or better performance figures than a 435/440i if similarly equipped with manuals.... all with bullet proof reliability. Also about 200/300lbs lighter on much wider tires all around, so it'll likely outhandle it as well.

H8rs gonna h8
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:52 pm Ford the record that Z28 puts down same or better performance figures than a 435/440i if similarly equipped with manuals.... all with bullet proof reliability. Also about 200/300lbs lighter on much wider tires all around, so it'll likely outhandle it as well.

H8rs gonna h8
I give up. You and Chris go get a couple of Camaros, throw out all your shirts with sleeves and call it a day.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:52 pm Ford the record that Z28 puts down same or better performance figures than a 435/440i if similarly equipped with manuals.... all with bullet proof reliability. Also about 200/300lbs lighter on much wider tires all around, so it'll likely outhandle it as well.

H8rs gonna h8
I give up. You and Chris go get a couple of Camaros, throw out all your shirts with sleeves and call it a day.
Why can't you just let us appreciate "classics" of the past... Alfa romeo P2 is a shitty car by any measurable standard of today but it is cool because it was special for it's time.... I think the CAMERO is slowly emerging from the throw away POS status into somewhat iconic status over time as well, they were special in the 90s 00s.... There won't be many more of these around anymore. No it is no ALFA, but we also don't have 100 million sitting in a private trust fund in Luxemburg.

You drive a Guadalupe hauler from the same time... Why can't you appreciate a sporty car from the same era... don't see you chillin in a CR-V that beats the Chevy in every measurable aspect for you.
Last edited by max225 on Thu May 17, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Why can't you just let us appreciate "classics" of the past... Alfa romeo P2 is a shitty car by any measurable standard of today but it is cool because it was special for it's time.... I think the CAMERO is slowly emerging from the throw away POS status into somewhat iconic status over time as well, they were special in the 90s 00s.... There won't be many more of these around anymore. No it is no ALFA, but we also don't have 100 million sitting in a private trust fund in Luxemburg.

You drive a Guadalupe hauler from the same time... Why can't you appreciate a sporty car from the same era... don't see you chillin in a CR-V that beats the Chevy in every measurable aspect for you.
Because one of you is driving an M3 full of AZN's to Napa on the weekend and the other one is relentless transforming his hobbit hole into a Pottery Barn showcase home and I find the gen 4 F-body distinctly below your elevated yuppie standards of social existence even if you both do secretly want to wear Hurst Shifter tanktops and grow mullets and I'm having fun with it. I understand the aesthetic beauty and underlying performance of an Ellis powered Camaro, and the SS in particular is a looker.
ChrisoftheNorth

One of the rare times Max and I are on the same page.

I really give no fucks about handling anymore. The roads are straight, textured like the surface of the moon, and the nearest decent road course to me is 3 hours away. Handling is :aintcare: at this point, I'm just now coming to grips with that.

My requirements:

Fast AF in a straight line
Complaint ride over bumps (not necessarily soft)
Makes bald eagle noises
Three pedals
Somewhat modern (ellis or the like)
NO STIGMA (more below)
Cheap (relatively)

Without getting into it because :csb: :whocares: my new boss and team is full :triggered: at the fact that I have a Corvette AND a new ZR2. It's earned me a reputation that I can't tell if it's good or bad yet, but I'm sick of a car that costs less than a new Cruze inciting so much ridiculous attention.

A 4th gen Camaro is something I've always wanted and checks every one of my boxes above. I really don't care for old cars that much and don't care at all about how people view me, as long as it's not "spoiled" or "rich" or whatever.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/ ... 18215.html

6k original miles... but 25k :doe: fking mint
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 pm One of the rare times Max and I are on the same page.

Without getting into it because :csb: :whocares: my new boss and team is full :triggered: at the fact that I have a Corvette AND a new ZR2. It's earned me a reputation that I can't tell if it's good or bad yet, but I'm sick of a car that costs less than a new Cruze inciting so much ridiculous attention.

A 4th gen Camaro is something I've always wanted and checks every one of my boxes above. I really don't care for old cars that much and don't care at all about how people view me, as long as it's not "spoiled" or "rich" or whatever.
Hey man you said that phrase more times than getting :triggered: with me :wub:

Whoa crazy to hear that stigma about the C5, i mean at this point it isn't exactly a new car :doe: the C5 is a very "responsible" type of vehicle. The ZR2 is fancy tho... by almost anyone's standard.

I had that when I was "younger" but that was like a decade ago now... and the C5 was still kind of almost new in todays world especially considering stretch pay and your relatively elevated position. I'd think they would be more understanding. Not like you're rolling in an STS-V and a brand new Escalade.