:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:31 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 am
The problem is more so that I don't know how I can divide my attention. In the past, whenever I've had two toy cars, one goes completely ignored. Why deal with the maintenance, insurance, etc of something I never drive? I already almost never drive the :poorvette: (it'll see less than 2k miles this year), so I may NEVER drive it if I have something else that I enjoy more.

TBH, I love the :poorvette: a lot, but it really doesn't fit what I want anymore. I don't trackdaybro anymore, autox is an epic waste of time for me, and all the roads around me are flat and straight. So I've got this fantastic handling :plaid: fast car that just sits in the garage because I'm over all the things it's intended for. Commuting in it blows in my situation, so really it gets driven on some nice days and weekends. :notsure: why I keep it around.
So why keep it?
Excellent question.

I'll probably post if for sale in the spring. Selling it now will just be giving it away.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:31 am

So why keep it?
Excellent question.

I'll probably post if for sale in the spring. Selling it now will just be giving it away.
:word:

Sports car sales are very similar to motorcycle sales. Best buyer prices between November and February.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:38 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 am
Excellent question.

:word:

Sports car sales are very similar to motorcycle sales. Best buyer prices between November and February.
Right. WAY better off throwing a cover over it and storing it until April or so. Prices are usually pretty strong in the spring as people get antsy for fun cars.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 am

...that you are afraid to own two toy cars. I get it, mouths to feed, storage, etc, etc.... but still. And with your new garage you will be able to store them.
The problem is more so that I don't know how I can divide my attention. In the past, whenever I've had two toy cars, one goes completely ignored. Why deal with the maintenance, insurance, etc of something I never drive? I already almost never drive the :poorvette: (it'll see less than 2k miles this year), so I may NEVER drive it if I have something else that I enjoy more.

TBH, I love the :poorvette: a lot, but it really doesn't fit what I want anymore. I don't trackdaybro anymore, autox is an epic waste of time for me, and all the roads around me are flat and straight. So I've got this fantastic handling :plaid: fast car that just sits in the garage because I'm over all the things it's intended for. Commuting in it blows in my situation, so really it gets driven on some nice days and weekends. :notsure: why I keep it around.
I know dis feels. I'm at a similar point with my car, unfortunately. I love the car, I just don't think I care anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:27 am Sooo, not sure anyone cares anymore, but heard back from Typhoon guy.

He bought it last fall with plans of restoring. He called it a "bucket list car" which I agree with. He and his wife bought a fixer-upper house (sounds familiar) and he decided to sell it because he won't have time to work on it.

Here's where things get dicey...

PO apparently removed the AC compressor and cruise control cervo. Also relocated the battery to the back. Since I'm not scared of the project, I asked how much of each system was removed and how the battery relocation was done. I'd like to return it to 100% stock, so we'll see what he comes back with.

Interestingly, I showed the listing to :tits: and she thinks it's cool as hell. She said the Corvette is "too rough" and hard to get in and out of. I agree on both counts, but don't want to off the car for those reasons. However, the more I think about it, a Typhoon/Syclone make a lot of sense for what I'm looking for.

I don't give a fuck that a V6 Rav4 is just as fast. I'm just looking for something fun and unique.
If you can source the components and redo this epic fuck up I’d try to offer 7-8k “before the winter” in cold hard cash and see if he bites. It is a really unique and cool vehicle
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 am

...that you are afraid to own two toy cars. I get it, mouths to feed, storage, etc, etc.... but still. And with your new garage you will be able to store them.

Yep, most of us go through the same paces. When I got older I decided the c5 is just too much of a toy ... and it simply wasn’t comfortable to taken places 9/10 times unless the whole point was to just take it for a drive. Which I did... but there are many other cars that allow you to have more fun daily while not being punished as much. The trade off is they are not dedicated sports cars
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:27 am Sooo, not sure anyone cares anymore, but heard back from Typhoon guy.

He bought it last fall with plans of restoring. He called it a "bucket list car" which I agree with. He and his wife bought a fixer-upper house (sounds familiar) and he decided to sell it because he won't have time to work on it.

Here's where things get dicey...

PO apparently removed the AC compressor and cruise control cervo. Also relocated the battery to the back. Since I'm not scared of the project, I asked how much of each system was removed and how the battery relocation was done. I'd like to return it to 100% stock, so we'll see what he comes back with.

Interestingly, I showed the listing to :tits: and she thinks it's cool as hell. She said the Corvette is "too rough" and hard to get in and out of. I agree on both counts, but don't want to off the car for those reasons. However, the more I think about it, a Typhoon/Syclone make a lot of sense for what I'm looking for.

I don't give a fuck that a V6 Rav4 is just as fast. I'm just looking for something fun and unique.
If you can source the components and redo this epic fuck up I’d try to offer 7-8k “before the winter” in cold hard cash and see if he bites. It is a really unique and cool vehicle
I looked it up, all the missing parts are GM common parts shared with a bunch of vehicles. Shouldn't be a big cash outlay to fix it, assuming he doesn't have the parts.

The challenge will be how much was removed and how much work it'll be to put everything back. If the entire AC system is gone, that's going to be some serious work to get back into shape.

I've been looking more at values of these things, and so many have been modded and fucked with that that nice clean examples with everything working properly without too many mods are actually quite rare. It's already a rare vehicle, so there could be decent potential to not lose my ass on it if I could pick it up in the 7-8k range. Sub 100k miles, I don't see how I could lose.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 pm
I looked it up, all the missing parts are GM common parts shared with a bunch of vehicles. Shouldn't be a big cash outlay to fix it, assuming he doesn't have the parts.

The challenge will be how much was removed and how much work it'll be to put everything back. If the entire AC system is gone, that's going to be some serious work to get back into shape.

I've been looking more at values of these things, and so many have been modded and fucked with that that nice clean examples with everything working properly without too many mods are actually quite rare. It's already a rare vehicle, so there could be decent potential to not lose my ass on it if I could pick it up in the 7-8k range. Sub 100k miles, I don't see how I could lose.
It would sell for more than $10k on BAT. More likely in the $15k range, really. Especially if it's clean and everything works.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Like the GMC Syclone, the Typhoon is powered by a 4.3 L LB4 V6 engine producing 280 hp (209 kW)[1] at 4,400 rpm and 360 lb·ft (488 N·m) of torque at 3,600 rpm. The engine is a modified version of the Vortech engine found in the standard Jimmy, which originally produced 190 hp.[2] The engine uses a Mitsubishi TD06-17C/8 cm2 turbocharger producing 14 psi of boost and a Garrett Water/Air intercooler, as well as revised intake manifolds, fuel system, exhaust manifolds, and a 48 mm (2 in) twin-bore throttle body from the 5.7 L GM Small-Block engine.[3] The Typhoon sends power to all four wheels through a 700r4 4-speed automatic transmission and a BorgWarner 4472 (the Syclone used a BorgWarner 1372)[citation needed] transfer case splitting torque with 35% forward and 65% to the rear wheels. Other features include upgraded brakes, a limited slip rear differential and sport modifications to the standard suspensions. Unlike the Syclone, the Typhoon featured an air-operated self-leveling rear suspension.[citation needed]

During tests by Car and Driver, the Typhoon was capable of accelerating from 0–60 mph (0–97 km/h) in 5.3 seconds[1] and could do a quarter-mile run in 14.1 seconds at 95 mph (153 km/h). Car and Driver compared the Syclone's performance favorably to the Ferrari 348ts, Chevrolet Corvette, and Nissan 300ZX Turbo.[1] It cost US$29,970, though the magazine criticized the plasticy interior pieces.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Minimal, tasteful mods, wont hurt things too bad one way or the other. If it's as clean as it looks in the pics, it looks like a break-even prospect at worst.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:00 pm I heard things about a Typhoon?

:boner:
We'll see. Haven't heard back from the guy after my line of questioning about what's left of deleted systems.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:18 pm

It would sell for more than $10k on BAT. More likely in the $15k range, really. Especially if it's clean and everything works.
Exactly. These things in mostly stock form with everything working are $15k vehicles under 100k miles.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:22 pm Like the GMC Syclone, the Typhoon is powered by a 4.3 L LB4 V6 engine producing 280 hp (209 kW)[1] at 4,400 rpm and 360 lb·ft (488 N·m) of torque at 3,600 rpm. The engine is a modified version of the Vortech engine found in the standard Jimmy, which originally produced 190 hp.[2] The engine uses a Mitsubishi TD06-17C/8 cm2 turbocharger producing 14 psi of boost and a Garrett Water/Air intercooler, as well as revised intake manifolds, fuel system, exhaust manifolds, and a 48 mm (2 in) twin-bore throttle body from the 5.7 L GM Small-Block engine.[3] The Typhoon sends power to all four wheels through a 700r4 4-speed automatic transmission and a BorgWarner 4472 (the Syclone used a BorgWarner 1372)[citation needed] transfer case splitting torque with 35% forward and 65% to the rear wheels. Other features include upgraded brakes, a limited slip rear differential and sport modifications to the standard suspensions. Unlike the Syclone, the Typhoon featured an air-operated self-leveling rear suspension.[citation needed]

During tests by Car and Driver, the Typhoon was capable of accelerating from 0–60 mph (0–97 km/h) in 5.3 seconds[1] and could do a quarter-mile run in 14.1 seconds at 95 mph (153 km/h). Car and Driver compared the Syclone's performance favorably to the Ferrari 348ts, Chevrolet Corvette, and Nissan 300ZX Turbo.[1] It cost US$29,970, though the magazine criticized the plasticy interior pieces.
These things were legit quick at the time. I remember my dad's friend worked for GM at the time and brought home some test vehicle. My dad went for a ride and couldn't stop talking about how fast it was. That's been burned in my memory since, and I've always wanted one. Would be neat to have for a while.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Minimal, tasteful mods, wont hurt things too bad one way or the other. If it's as clean as it looks in the pics, it looks like a break-even prospect at worst.
Could probably get away with suspension upgrades, but all the tacked on gayges, boost controllers, turbro upgrades, stand alone ecu's etc for MAX POWAAAA are generally undesired unless significantly documented.

I'd be perfectly happy with stock power. :iono:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Could probably get away with suspension upgrades, but all the tacked on gayges, boost controllers, turbro upgrades, stand alone ecu's etc for MAX POWAAAA are generally undesired unless significantly documented.

A bit quicker than a GTI and better off the line traction sounds rather not bad to me.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:dat:

None of those things are tasteful. Suspension and/or brakes are probably ok.

What's the story on the shift kit mentioned in the listing? The ones Ive experienced generally result in whiplash and chirping tires when it shifts into 2nd when you're driving around town.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

14.1 at NINETY FIVE!

:plaid:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 pm 14.1 at NINETY FIVE!

In 1993, that was :plaid: Faster than pretty much anything else short of a "super car".
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:06 pm

:dat:

None of those things are tasteful. Suspension and/or brakes are probably ok.

What's the story on the shift kit mentioned in the listing? The ones Ive experienced generally result in whiplash and chirping tires when it shifts into 2nd when you're driving around town.
Yea, I don't know about the "shift kit". We'll see if he gets back to me and I can take it for a drive.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 pm 14.1 at NINETY FIVE!

In 1993, that was :plaid: Faster than pretty much anything else short of a "super car".
Sure, but that doesn't mean that it'll be fun to drive today. Isn't your :truk: just as fast?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: In 1993, that was :plaid: Faster than pretty much anything else short of a "super car".
Sure, but that doesn't mean that it'll be fun to drive today. Isn't your :truk: just as fast?
0-60 is 7 sec in :truk: , so it's 1.6 seconds slower to 60. I DGAF about quarter mile time. I'll never go to the track, and I don't know of an open quarter mile where I can WOT anywhere within an hour of me.

A normal Colorado (not bro'd out) can do 0-60 in 6.5, with a blower it would probably be close to a Typhoon. But I could buy 4 Typhoons for that cost.
ChrisoftheNorth

Appears that Typhoon guy has ghosted me. Probably for the best.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 am Appears that Typhoon guy has ghosted me. Probably for the best.
:sad:
ChrisoftheNorth

:aintcare:

The last thing I needed was to deal with another vehicle.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 am Appears that Typhoon guy has ghosted me. Probably for the best.
:fullretard: sellers strike again... just like the Desert dealings. I don’t understand people who are “selling” their cars only to disappear 1/2 way through the transaction due to excuses that make absolutely no sense.