:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:07 pm
max225 wrote:
Worthless for what? Hauling plywood while it sticks out the back? That load height is still lower than even the smallest midsize truck, tail lights and all.
:dat:

Look at new hatches now too, they're going back to that :fullretard: style. IIRC I was bitching about it on another recent thread regarding the newest Velobster and upcoming Mazda3 hatch.

Form >>>> Function. Fuck utility.
The 1st gen Veloster was plenty usable with basically the same design as the 2.0.

If you want moar utility + covered cargo, buy a van.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote:
Worthless for what? Hauling plywood while it sticks out the back? That load height is still lower than even the smallest midsize truck, tail lights and all.

Look at new hatches now too, they're going back to that :fullretard: style. IIRC I was bitching about it on another recent thread regarding the newest Velobster and upcoming Mazda3 hatch.

Yea, I don't like that either. The Volt is too high to effectively load things in, drives me nuts. I miss that about real hatches like the GTI.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote:

The purpose of the design might has to do with regulations. I know having taillights must not be on trunk is a thing. But they could’ve done 2 pieces like the e34 wagon

The new ones you speak of has a fat ass bumper, and that impedes the practical purpose of the hatch
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 23012.html

2016 volt for 17k, :notsure: all these cars came off leases yet.... 2019 will start to see the 2016s come off that $199 a month lease and flood the market out here.... pretty wild.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:12 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 23012.html

2016 volt for 17k, :notsure: all these cars came off leases yet.... 2019 will start to see the 2016s come off that $199 a month lease and flood the market out here.... pretty wild.
2016's started at the very end of 2015. There's probably some just now starting to come off lease.

$17,388 FIRM

Too bad I won't pay a dime mover $17,373.

:dillerman: games man...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:12 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 23012.html

2016's started at the very end of 2015. There's probably some just now starting to come off lease.

$17,388 FIRM

2015s are like 11-12k. Crazy price gap... granted "new" gen and everything but still. I think by summer this year... volts are going to go to around 13-14 for 16s etc... they do seem to bottom around 10k :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm

$17,388 FIRM

2015s are like 11-12k. Crazy price gap... granted "new" gen and everything but still. I think by summer this year... volts are going to go to around 13-14 for 16s etc... they do seem to bottom around 10k :doe:
The first gen ones have quite a bit less range than the gen 2 ones, not to mention the interior is way nicer, so the gen 2 should hold value a bit better. There's also those stupid carpool lane stickers that everyone gets :triggered: about driving some of the interest in CA too.

I bet if I tried to sell mine today in Meatchicken, I'd be lucky to get $15k for it. 2016 with 20k miles. There's just no demand. People at work look at me like I have a dick on my forehead when they find out I enjoy commuting in a Volt and not my :truk:

EV's are for communists. Real muricans drive :truk:
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:53 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:48 pm

The first gen ones have quite a bit less range than the gen 2 ones, not to mention the interior is way nicer, so the gen 2 should hold value a bit better. There's also those stupid carpool lane stickers that everyone gets :triggered: about driving some of the interest in CA too.

I bet if I tried to sell mine today in Meatchicken, I'd be lucky to get $15k for it. 2016 with 20k miles. There's just no demand. People at work look at me like I have a dick on my forehead when they find out I enjoy commuting in a Volt and not my :truk:

With a gun to your head, I am willing to bet you'd pick the :truk: over the volt, so they are not necessarily wrong. The volt is a :neat: idea but way too expensive and complicated. :notsure: it'll ever offset the initial buy in cost (for new purchasers) over a civic for ex.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:53 pm

With a gun to your head, I am willing to bet you'd pick the :truk: over the volt, so they are not necessarily wrong. The volt is a :neat: idea but way too expensive and complicated. :notsure: it'll ever offset the initial buy in cost (for new purchasers) over a civic for ex.
It'd be tough. For the garbage I deal with on my commute, I really do enjoy driving the Volt every day. Fun? No...but nothing can be fun when sitting in 10 miles of bumper to bumper traffic on the surface of the moon.

But you're right on the payback. Makes zero sense. I paid $23k for mine after the tax incentive, and even at that level it just starts to make sense. A Civic or whatever would have held its value better most likely, though I do really enjoy the EV drive of the thing. No noise/vibration. Epic torque in traffic. One pedal driving, it's great for the day to day slog. Better than anything else I've had to date IMO.

I wouldn't buy one at full price :doe: It's no surprise that it didn't make it.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:08 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:01 pm

It'd be tough. For the garbage I deal with on my commute, I really do enjoy driving the Volt every day. Fun? No...but nothing can be fun when sitting in 10 miles of bumper to bumper traffic on the surface of the moon.

But you're right on the payback. Makes zero sense. I paid $23k for mine after the tax incentive, and even at that level it just starts to make sense. A Civic or whatever would have held its value better most likely, though I do really enjoy the EV drive of the thing. No noise/vibration. Epic torque in traffic. One pedal driving, it's great for the day to day slog. Better than anything else I've had to date IMO.

Yea the msrp on yours was like $38K? I mean GM did the smart thing to cancel it... most bought it because of the $7500 on the hood which is about to get sliced in half and move it $100 up in monthly payment, that all the :derp: 's care about.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Yea the msrp on yours was like $38K? I mean GM did the smart thing to cancel it... most bought it because of the $7500 on the hood which is about to get sliced in half and move it $100 up in monthly payment, that all the :derp: 's care about.
$35k IIRC, but yea... nobody wants to pay that.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

There was a dealer in St Pete FL with 2018s for the same price last month. $17k for base and $21K for Premier models
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

over under on gen 1/2 vipers appreciating?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

ive always had a soft spot for the GTS but watching hoovie with his hard top convertible reminds me of the :lolol: and :derp: found in the first gen.

oddly there are even a few vipers locally to me.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:13 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:11 pm

but the caddy ELR for around $23k seems like a great :dill:

I really like those cars. I'd love to drive one.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:39 am over under on gen 1/2 vipers appreciating?

ive always had a soft spot for the GTS but watching hoovie with his hard top convertible reminds me of the :lolol: and :derp: found in the first gen.

They'll probably appreciate at some point, is my guess. Isn't insurance on them astronomical though?
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:39 am over under on gen 1/2 vipers appreciating?

I have always loved the GTS. My favorite car growing up, still might be. This dark blue on tan is epic.

They'll certainly appreciate at some point, but they have a way to go.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:40 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:13 pm
but the caddy ELR for around $23k seems like a great :dill:

I really like those cars. I'd love to drive one.
Haven't driven an ELR, but they have a :mindblown: nice interior. I really like the way my Volt drives, I'm sure an ELR would be great.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

I have always loved the GTS. My favorite car growing up, still might be. This dark blue on tan is epic.

RANT:
I don't understand why the facelifted vipers (With solid roofs) aren't worth more. They are better cars than air cooled porsches period. They are far more reliable, far easier to work on, they are actual race cars underneith (tube chassis) and they are far better looking. They are also RARE. Yet no one gives a shit about em... they are worth some money but no where near P car levels.

:fullretard: I always loved and will love vipers. They are amazing vehicles (97+ with abs), not having abs is not acceptable in the 90s.

/RANT
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

RANT:
I don't understand why the facelifted vipers (With solid roofs) aren't worth more. They are better cars than air cooled porsches period. They are far more reliable, far easier to work on, they are actual race cars underneith (tube chassis) and they are far better looking. They are also RARE. Yet no one gives a shit about em... they are worth some money but no where near P car levels.

:fullretard: I always loved and will love vipers. They are amazing vehicles (97+ with abs), not having abs is not acceptable in the 90s.

/RANT
Agreed. This thing for $42k seems like a decent deal when compared to other rare neat things like it in it's price range.

Hell, a 26k mile 996 Turbo would cost more than that, and it's still not as fast or cool looking.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:33 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 pm

RANT:

/RANT
Agreed. This thing for $42k seems like a decent deal when compared to other rare neat things like it in it's price range.

Hell, a 26k mile 996 Turbo would cost more than that, and it's still not as fast or cool looking.
You can maintain a viper with parts from autozone. A 996 turbo requires a second mortgage for an oil change an "elitist" attidues from stealershits that treat you like a fucking clown with money taped to your face. "you bought an expensive car you have to afford the maintenance" . Just because some fucktard in Stuttgart decided that a wheel bearing costs $1000 and an air filter is $200 doesn't mean that is ok. It is just down right fleecing. Also anything pre-current porsche (last 7 years) is half assed, because they were shit as a brand at that point in time and didn't spend the money do things right.

The engines are garbage riddled with issues, and they don't last and require constant upkeep that costs as much as the car. Which is :fullretard: i don't understand older Porsche ownership period. New stuff is fine after 2012... as they started swimming in money at that point, anything prior is just some kind of sadomasochism, but people are obviously into that as well.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:disgust:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:33 pm

You can maintain a viper with parts from autozone. A 996 turbo requires a second mortgage for an oil change an "elitist" attidues from stealershits that treat you like a fucking clown with money taped to your face. "you bought an expensive car you have to afford the maintenance" . Just because some fucktard in Stuttgart decided that a wheel bearing costs $1000 and an air filter is $200 doesn't mean that is ok. It is just down right fleecing. Also anything pre-current porsche (last 7 years) is half assed, because they were shit as a brand at that point in time and didn't spend the money do things right.

The engines are garbage riddled with issues, and they don't last and require constant upkeep that costs as much as the car. Which is :fullretard: i don't understand older Porsche ownership period. New stuff is fine after 2012... as they started swimming in money at that point, anything prior is just some kind of sadomasochism, but people are obviously into that as well.
100% true. Porsche was seriously cost cutting around the 996/997 timeframe and it SHOWS big time. Cylinder scoring, D chunks, IMS bearing, oil starvation, the list goes on and on. Anymore they seem to be decent-ish. But not back then.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:40 pm Image

What's wrong with that? the gayges are actually super nice and fuctional the shifter is great. AC controls are shit? but WHO GIVES A FUCK? Do you look at them all day every day? Also 90s!..

Is that, THAT much better?

(we're obviously not comparing to new). IMO the 13+GTS viper is the car to get period.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:iono:

I like that Porsches are still pretty small and simple if you stick with a Cayman or lower trim 911, yet not as tiny and useless as a Miata. They're far more easy to live with as a car in the real world than a Mustang/Corvette/Viper/McLaren/whatever. They hit the sweet spot of a usable sporty car that only exists in the current market in the GT86/BRZ and 2-series.

Nobody is rocking a Viper as their only car but you could easily do it with a Carrera.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:47 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:40 pm Image

What's wrong with that? the gayges are actually super nice and fuctional the shifter is great. AC controls are shit? but WHO GIVES A FUCK? Do you look at them all day every day? Also 90s!..

Is that, THAT much better?

(we're obviously not comparing to new). IMO the 13+GTS viper is the car to get period.
What is that, a 968? They're both terrible. Yes I look at my dashboard every day :lol: dafuq I don't own horse blinders (but might need to with that interior).

This is the 993...

IMO it does look better. Not worthy of double the price better, though.

This is the 911 SC

That steering wheel :gag:
Last edited by Johnny_P on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.