:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:42 pm I like the idea of a maximum :scrooge: car that's also nearly new and needs no work - yet isn't garbage to drive like a CVT mirage. It's annoying to always leave the :wankel: at home whenever we go anywhere because it costs so much more to drive than the other car. Zero temptation to mod the thing would also be nice for a change. Life before car modzzz was easier. Dunno if I could really pull it off but I think about it often.

There's a solid chance that we end up in some shitty place up north soon-ish with no garage, maybe even no driveway at all.
You would have to really really not give a shit. I was surprised at how slow these things were. But it'll run forever and cost nearly nothing to keep on the road.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm
[user not found] wrote:
:disgust:

The iA might also be slow and ugly but at least it is made to be fun to drive.
Can't you just get a civic si from two gens ago for the same price? At least it'll have a bit more power.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm Can't you just get a civic si from two gens ago for the same price? At least it'll have a bit more power.
And a real LSD.
I already have all of that in a better car that is likely newer and cheaper than an equivalent Si. I'm thinking about what happens if we end up in an apartment, full :rudy: style with no way to work on my own stuff.

It looks like in the next year or so we'll end up in Corning, NY where property taxes are so high that apartments are dramatically cheaper than houses - and most houses don't even have driveways let alone garages anyway. That plus 9 months of winter = perhaps this whole car hobby is best put on hold.

Having a house with a garage up there will likely be a $1000/mo premium over an apartment, most of which is lit on fire in the form of taxes and heating. A cool car to destroy in the salt isn't worth that.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm
[user not found] wrote:
And a real LSD.
I already have all of that in a better car that is likely newer and cheaper than an equivalent Si. I'm thinking about what happens if we end up in an apartment, full :rudy: style with no way to work on my own stuff.

It looks like in the next year or so we'll end up in Corning, NY where property taxes are so high that apartments are dramatically cheaper than houses - and most houses don't even have driveways let alone garages anyway. That plus 9 months of winter = perhaps this whole car hobby is best put on hold.

Having a house with a garage up there will likely be a $1000/mo premium over an apartment, most of which is lit on fire in the form of taxes and heating. A cool car to destroy in the salt isn't worth that.
:mk6:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm
[user not found] wrote:
And a real LSD.

Can't work on own stuff
Park outside on street
No room for 2nd car
Snow and ice

This sounds familiar. Get a WRX! :hubba:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:50 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm I already have all of that in a better car that is likely newer and cheaper than an equivalent Si. I'm thinking about what happens if we end up in an apartment, full :rudy: style with no way to work on my own stuff.

:jeep:
:notbad:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:53 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm I already have all of that in a better car that is likely newer and cheaper than an equivalent Si. I'm thinking about what happens if we end up in an apartment, full :rudy: style with no way to work on my own stuff.

:mk6:
Also :notbad: but can't work on stuff + VW = better be new with warranty
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:

:jeep:
I'd be more likely to kill myself from driving (and paying for) a :jeep: than a Hyundai. :disgust:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:03 pm I'd be more likely to kill myself from driving (and paying for) a :jeep: than a Hyundai. :disgust:
But at least your estate stands to benefit from selling the rusty hulk after your suicide for more than you bought it for.
True, but the interest on the loan and the extra consumables from 10-20k highway miles per year would negate any savings over something like a $10k iA... which is less shitty to drive anyway.

Either my :math: is entirely :wrong: or you guys are just cool with spending WAY WAY more than me on transportation.
max225

I just don't spend much on anything, just saving it for the next financial crisis so that everyone can walk away from their homes/student/car loans just like last time :rage:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:42 pm I like the idea of a maximum :scrooge: car that's also nearly new and needs no work - yet isn't garbage to drive like a CVT mirage. It's annoying to always leave the :wankel: at home whenever we go anywhere because it costs so much more to drive than the other car. Zero temptation to mod the thing would also be nice for a change. Life before car modzzz was easier. Dunno if I could really pull it off but I think about it often.

There's a solid chance that we end up in some shitty place up north soon-ish with no garage, maybe even no driveway at all.
:gag:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm :disgust:

The iA might also be slow and ugly but at least it is made to be fun to drive.
Can't you just get a civic si from two gens ago for the same price? At least it'll have a bit more power.
A used 8th gen is also something i dont mind as an :aintcare: beater
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:11 pm
[user not found] wrote:
But at least your estate stands to benefit from selling the rusty hulk after your suicide for more than you bought it for.
True, but the interest on the loan and the extra consumables from 10-20k highway miles per year would negate any savings over something like a $10k iA... which is less shitty to drive anyway.

Either my :math: is entirely :wrong: or you guys are just cool with spending WAY WAY more than me on transportation.
Yeah check out the "monthly cost spent on cars thread"... I think I was in the bottom 10% here. That is about to change though... two cars, one of which is becoming pretty expensive for track daying.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

checked this out in person, now that I know it's a manual, theres one less expense to worry about

https://www.stohlman-vw.com/inventory/u ... l6ca101849
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am checked this out in person, now that I know it's a manual, theres one less expense to worry about

I like that. You thinking of :plac: the :turboyaris: ?
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am checked this out in person, now that I know it's a manual, theres one less expense to worry about

Dude that’s. Terrible deal, 23k for a 2 gen old a4 :disgust:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 am

One gen old just pre facelift, and manual :whocares:
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 am

Dude a4s are some of the most highly depreciating cars ever. That price is insane
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 am

I like that. You thinking of :plac: the :turboyaris: ?
Well trudy wanted me to meet up at stohlman (tysons diller), and that caught my eye in person, i first thought :nope: due to miles , but checked online for price and thought, hmmm. May not be quite a wise move for me imo
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:10 am

Dude a4s are some of the most highly depreciating cars ever. That price is insane
Also forgot to mention, i was expecting to be around $18k. To be realistic, it is a tough pill to swallow
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am One gen old just pre facelift, and manual :whocares:
It's an S4, not an A4.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:12 am
max225 wrote:
It's an S4, not an A4.
Oh that explains the price bump, blind this am.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's an S4 :doe:

I have little interest in these so have no clue on pricing. But I think they were :neat: cars.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:12 am
max225 wrote:
It's an S4, not an A4.
Dat. I’d rather continue driving my gti than a 2.slow a4 thats atleast 500 ibs more heavier
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:15 am

It's an S4 :doe:

I have little interest in these so have no clue on pricing. But I think they were :neat: cars.
I got a little more interested in now that i found out its a manual. Meaning less dsg maintenance expenses. I may consider going to that diller and talk numbers or perhaps appraise my mk7, who knows