:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:12 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:59 am Nothing first gen in that engine. It’s literally the same block dating back to 2004 or something. Some moron in the factory grabbed a wrong part number of a headasket, they put in Lincoln MKZ headgaskets IIRC
Was the Mustang gasket I believe.....
According to the spreadsheets we received, the engineering part number for the Mustang, MKC, and Explorer head gaskets is EJ7E-6051-xx, while the service part number is EJ7Z-6051-x, where x represents incrementally changing letters for each revision.

On the other hand, the engineering part number for the Focus RS head gasket is G1FY-6051-xx, while the service part number is G1FZ-6051-x.

We were shown a copy of one parts spreadsheet that states that the 2015 Mustang head gasket had an engineering part number of EJ7E-6051-GA with a service part number of EJ7Z-6051-A as of March 2015. The Focus RS is listed as having an engineering part number of G1FY-6051-UB, with a service part number of G1FZ-6051-C as of January 2016 on that same spreadsheet.

A tweet from a Ford parts employee also confirmed that the EJ7E-6051-HA engineering number that was spotted on a bad gasket pulled out of a Focus RS is actually assigned to the Explorer and MKC engine in the parts catalog.
:dat:
Essentially a wrong part, what a shame and waste. Headgasket jobs are some of the most complicated and labor-intensive in the car industry. Epic fuck up... Then again porsche recalled all 4.0 GT3s... and swapped the motors. Fuck ups happen even in todays day and age.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Was the Mustang gasket I believe.....
According to the spreadsheets we received, the engineering part number for the Mustang, MKC, and Explorer head gaskets is EJ7E-6051-xx, while the service part number is EJ7Z-6051-x, where x represents incrementally changing letters for each revision.

On the other hand, the engineering part number for the Focus RS head gasket is G1FY-6051-xx, while the service part number is G1FZ-6051-x.

We were shown a copy of one parts spreadsheet that states that the 2015 Mustang head gasket had an engineering part number of EJ7E-6051-GA with a service part number of EJ7Z-6051-A as of March 2015. The Focus RS is listed as having an engineering part number of G1FY-6051-UB, with a service part number of G1FZ-6051-C as of January 2016 on that same spreadsheet.

A tweet from a Ford parts employee also confirmed that the EJ7E-6051-HA engineering number that was spotted on a bad gasket pulled out of a Focus RS is actually assigned to the Explorer and MKC engine in the parts catalog.
Essentially a wrong part, what a shame and waste. Headgasket jobs are some of the most complicated and labor-intensive in the car industry. Epic fuck up... Then again porsche recalled all 4.0 GT3s... and swapped the motors. Fuck ups happen even in todays day and age.
Humans and their creations are imperfect. I think you should test the Focus-RS and see how it feels. I might have an M2C test for 2 days tomorrow. Will keep ya posted.
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Humans and their creations are imperfect. I think you should test the Focus-RS and see how it feels. I might have an M2C test for 2 days tomorrow. Will keep ya posted.
Man I just dislike the DCT it is such an unrefined transmission for DD purposes. I can live with it for sure, but the 8AT is far FAR smoother. I think you should test a M3 Comp as well, and compare it against the M2. It is a pretty neat vehicle.

Getting an RS to test is supremely difficult as I have no way to test it a :Dillerman: as they have 5-10k markups still. And they don't allow test drives for such RARE and EXCLUSIVE cars. And someone on the PP side is going to be annoyed because I'll want to kick tires.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:30 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Man I just dislike the DCT it is such an unrefined transmission for DD purposes. I can live with it for sure, but the 8AT is far FAR smoother. I think you should test a M3 Comp as well, and compare it against the M2. It is a pretty neat vehicle.

Getting an RS to test is supremely difficult as I have no way to test it a :Dillerman: as they have 5-10k markups still. And they don't allow test drives for such RARE and EXCLUSIVE cars. And someone on the PP side is going to be annoyed because I'll want to kick tires.
I will see about the M3C. Dealer called and offered the M2C so I will take it :) Is there not a used Focus-RS you can get a quick test in?? Im thinking you will assess it rather quickly...........
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:48 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:30 pm

I will see about the M3C. Dealer called and offered the M2C so I will take it :) Is there not a used Focus-RS you can get a quick test in?? Im thinking you will assess it rather quickly...........
Yea... Gotta prowl around. I don't like wasting peoples time as I won't be a "serious" buyer unitil June or so of next year. :plac: lyfe
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Yea... Gotta prowl around. I don't like wasting peoples time as I won't be a "serious" buyer unitil June or so of next year. :plac: lyfe
Carmax gets them from time to time. Check their stock every once in a while. Probably the easiest way to get a drive in one.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm
Carmax gets them from time to time. Check their stock every once in a while. Probably the easiest way to get a drive in one.
Oh das right... I drove the STI like :dat:
Davestr

2017 used in your area

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchres ... 6&zc=94536
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Oh das right... I drove the STI like :dat:
Yeah I mean maybe it's a shitty thing to do but they literally do not give a fuck and will let you drive whatever you want on their lot. I've used Carmax for test drive screening more than once.
Davestr

:like: :like:
max225

Closest carmax RS is in LA (400miles away).
max225

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... d=1d894082

2009 Cayenne GTS for $26k seems reasonable

4.8 liters of German fury bolted to a 6 speed row-it-yourself :manuel:
:unicorn: :neat:

I wonder if the shifter feels better than a Cayman.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... d=1d894082

2009 Cayenne GTS for $26k seems reasonable

4.8 liters of German fury bolted to a 6 speed row-it-yourself :manuel:

The Cayman shifter is awful
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm

I think you're the only person who agrees with me on this... People love them so much no one seems to want to admit that the shifter is bad. C5 shifter is actually better and it sucks.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 pm

I think you're the only person who agrees with me on this... People love them so much no one seems to want to admit that the shifter is bad. C5 shifter is actually better and it sucks.
:lolgasm: C5 is bad, gayman is kind of bad but nowhere near as bad at the C5 rock-crusher.

Civic, Subaru, VW are so much better it isn't even funny.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 pm

:lolgasm: C5 is bad, gayman is kind of bad but nowhere near as bad at the C5 rock-crusher.

My Cayman sample is of one and it had 90k miles... but it was worse IMO. Even my GF was like "why is this so hard to shift" and didn't have an issue in the Corvette, just hates driving it due to the scrape.

Interestingly she said "Honda manuals are easier to drive" and is looking forward to driving the Civic.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:01 pm

My Cayman sample is of one and it had 90k miles... but it was worse IMO. Even my GF was like "why is this so hard to shift" and didn't have an issue in the Corvette, just hates driving it due to the scrape.

Interestingly she said "Honda manuals are easier to drive" and is looking forward to driving the Civic.
9th gen Si has the best shifter I’ve ever used.
Cayman felt like I was pulling a baseball bat through a box of legos with a bunch of rope. My tractor shifter is way better. Hell even my GTI slayed the cayman shifter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Cayman felt like I was pulling a baseball bat through a box of legos with a bunch of rope. My tractor shifter is way better. Hell even my GTI slayed the cayman shifter.
Elise shifter kind of sucks too, better than :poorvette: and Cayman but still not good. I think it's just a mid engine thing. You'd think FWD would suck too, but things like Honderp they're actually great, and decent in the GTIs.

S2000 and Miata are the best shifters I've used that I can recall.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Elise shifter kind of sucks too, better than :poorvette: and Cayman but still not good. I think it's just a mid engine thing. You'd think FWD would suck too, but things like Honderp they're actually great, and decent in the GTIs.

Mid engine shouldn't theoretically be at any greater disadvantage than any other cable shift setup be it front, mid, or rear engined. It's just poorly integrated and engineered to the Cayman and Honda/VW/whoever did a better job.

Worst part about the Elise shifter was how the entire center console wobbled to the side as you shifted, lol. Like it was being held in place by bubble gum.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I recall my uncles 996 911 was quite notchy that one of the first mods he had done was a short shifter, to make shifting easier, his words.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:56 pm

Mid engine shouldn't theoretically be at any greater disadvantage than any other cable shift setup be it front, mid, or rear engined. It's just poorly integrated and engineered to the Cayman and Honda/VW/whoever did a better job.

Worst part about the Elise shifter was how the entire center console wobbled to the side as you shifted, lol. Like it was being held in place by bubble gum.
The whole Elise has that kit car feel. Dat handling :doe: It was epic on the track but even there you could feel the "streetability issues". The :poorvette: on track isn't as fun in comparison but you don't really notice how shitty it is until you're driving home after.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 pm

I recall my uncles 996 911 was quite notchy that one of the first mods he had done was a short shifter, to make shifting easier, his words.
I've never driven a 911 unfortunately. I've heard the shifters are actually good but online people really :jizz: over 911s.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:02 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 pm

I've never driven a 911 unfortunately. I've heard the shifters are actually good but online people really :jizz: over 911s.
Also forgot to mention, he told me there was an issue with the syncro. So it may have to do with the previous owner as well. Presumably the shifter issue you had on the cayman its more of a wear issue.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Speaking of which, since my mk7 gonna get paid off and get into a new car after a several months without car payment, I’m thinking about putting her on Turo.