:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:26 pm
Davestr wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:06 pm If I was looking for one of these - this would be a contender - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-m3-8/
Want
:doit: then sue the entire state of Pennsylvania and Herr Trump when it gets fucked by your streets.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Want
:doit: then sue the entire state of Pennsylvania and Herr Trump when it gets fucked by your streets.
Right? Those rams would last a week.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/ ... 51066.html

$8500 for an 02 :manuel: C5. 100k miles, but still. Quite the deal potential. That or these things are tanking.

:(
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:51 am
The challenge is if this bro noticed it, others will too. :plac: will be hard without giving the car away.

I'm really curious what went wrong to make the stock diff start whining. It has to be wear on the pinion bearing or something.
This bro didn't notice it though, Griff was just being a goodbro and told him upfront about it.
:dat:

He might've said something on the highway and I could've been like "that's how :poorvette: s sound and that probably would've been that.

Of course, after tracking yesterday, all desire of offing it are pretty much gone. I need to just take it out there more often. They signed me off to drive in Solo class now, so I won't have to pay for an instructor anymore :fuckyeah: . I'll likely go another couple of times this year and then try some different tracks in addition once I'm a bit more experienced. The one thing that sucks is the tire wear is pretty immense, My car spent a total of two hours on track though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:37 pm https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/ ... 51066.html

$8500 for an 02 :manuel: C5. 100k miles, but still. Quite the deal potential. That or these things are tanking.

Yeah, I'm quite intrigued/surprised that the 50 AE is somehow desirable. I wonder if I could somehow pull some :plac: profit by swapping into a "lesser" trim since I'm only going to beat the piss out of it as long as I own it. Probably too much red tape :doe: , plus I've already started modifying mine the way I like and fixed some of the shortcomings of the model.

I'll probably just drive it as-is until the diff blows up, then rebuild with 4.10s. Or maybe rebuild sooner. Hopefully I can get a ride in yours when I'm in Detroit soon and compare the diff noise. Mine is loud, it's rather obnoxious on the highway.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:26 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:37 pm https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/ ... 51066.html

Yeah, I'm quite intrigued/surprised that the 50 AE is somehow desirable. I wonder if I could somehow pull some :plac: profit by swapping into a "lesser" trim since I'm only going to beat the piss out of it as long as I own it. Probably too much red tape :doe: , plus I've already started modifying mine the way I like and fixed some of the shortcomings of the model.

I'll probably just drive it as-is until the diff blows up, then rebuild with 4.10s. Or maybe rebuild sooner. Hopefully I can get a ride in yours when I'm in Detroit soon and compare the diff noise. Mine is loud, it's rather obnoxious on the highway.
I wouldn't swap from yours to a cheaper one. Just not worth it.

I don't think my diff noise is obnoxious, but some might find it to be? My dad can't notice it, I do, :tits: just says the car is loud AF in general. Thing is, noise like this is very subjective.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:26 am

I don't think my diff noise is obnoxious, but some might find it to be? My dad can't notice it, I do, :tits: just says the car is loud AF in general. Thing is, noise like this is very subjective.
True. It's funny, mine never made a peep then one day, post TOTD , it was just loud AF. It's not a horrible sound, for me it's just knowing it's not meant to be there sucks. It's also odd when cruise is set because the way it feathers the throttle is like whine-off whine-whine-off whine every second... Oh well. :aintcare: I guess. I could drop the money on diff rebuild but that's a lot. I really need to just wait until the job situation levels and get a DD.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:20 am

True. It's funny, mine never made a peep then one day, post TOTD , it was just loud AF. It's not a horrible sound, for me it's just knowing it's not meant to be there sucks. It's also odd when cruise is set because the way it feathers the throttle is like whine-off whine-whine-off whine every second... Oh well. :aintcare: I guess. I could drop the money on diff rebuild but that's a lot. I really need to just wait until the job situation levels and get a DD.
Same thing happened to :melon: it seems. So weird.

Mine was silent until I changed the gears. between ~75 and 85, it just makes noise. Whatever. It fast and fun that's all I care about.
Johnny_P

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/ ... 99951.html

Triple rotor luxobarge Mazzder anyone? I want this.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/ ... 99951.html

That's a shitty mail delivery truck.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote:https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/ ... 99951.html

That's a shitty mail delivery truck.
Not MacDoe-able :sad:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 86265.html

Pretty much the most desirable/best equipped E9X M3/4 at a decent price.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 86265.html

Speed cloth + ZCP for me, but that's :notbad: too. At least it's got not-black leather to be slightly less disgusting in the heat.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 pm
max225 wrote:https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 86265.html

Speed cloth + ZCP for me, but that's :notbad: too. At least it's got not-black leather to be slightly less disgusting in the heat.
Cloth is even harder to find... I'd take the super low miles over the cloth :doe: its rare to find one with under 40k miles for a somewhat reasonable price.

:manuel: seats
No nav
Corboner roof
18" wheels
DCT+blue

That combo is quite a find
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:07 pm https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/ ... 99951.html

That's oozing with early 90's class, I love it.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 86265.html

Nice car!!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:07 pm https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/ ... 99951.html

That's oozing with early 90's class, I love it.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Were your fluids low before you hit TOTD? I'm a little interested about metal content, drain the fluid and shine a bright ass flashlight on it or run a magnet through the fluid afterwards. You don't want it to catastrophically fail at 75 mph
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 am

Were your fluids low before you hit TOTD? I'm a little interested about metal content, drain the fluid and shine a bright ass flashlight on it or run a magnet through the fluid afterwards. You don't want it to catastrophically fail at 75 mph
Nah, I had changed it not long before (maybe one year, I'd have to check my spreadsheet) and actually overfilled. There is a sort of blow off valve which emitted extra fluid from the overfill and made a mess of my diff. I had originally thought I had the leaky ass problem, so I cleaned it up and it in fact does not leak, but I did confirm fill level post extra fluid blow out. After TOTD when the noise started, I changed the fluid again and it didn't even smell like shit yet, so it was (presumably) still fresh. But it now whines like a little bitch but has a fresh fill. :iono: .

Maybe I should think about having it rebuilt to avoid failure, that wouldn't be great.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:25 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 am

Nah, I had changed it not long before (maybe one year, I'd have to check my spreadsheet) and actually overfilled. There is a sort of blow off valve which emitted extra fluid from the overfill and made a mess of my diff. I had originally thought I had the leaky ass problem, so I cleaned it up and it in fact does not leak, but I did confirm fill level post extra fluid blow out. After TOTD when the noise started, I changed the fluid again and it didn't even smell like shit yet, so it was (presumably) still fresh. But it now whines like a little bitch but has a fresh fill. :iono: .

Maybe I should think about having it rebuilt to avoid failure, that wouldn't be great.
Weird man. How do these things fail? They have a ring gear and a few bearings. If there were noise on a factory spec unit you'd think there's some metal in there.

At very least I'd get a second opinion. Maybe it's not a big deal? My diff didn't make any noise before or after gearz.
Johnny_P

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/ ... 62978.html

**RARE**NEVER-VAPED-IN** Stock, 2014 Subaru WRX - $19000 (Maple Park)
:amazing: :lolol: :yeahok:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:56 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:25 am

Weird man. How do these things fail? They have a ring gear and a few bearings. If there were noise on a factory spec unit you'd think there's some metal in there.

At very least I'd get a second opinion. Maybe it's not a big deal? My diff didn't make any noise before or after gearz.
I suspect it's pinon bearing failure. Especially if it happened after being hammered on. If the fluid was overfilled, it might have gotten too hot and thinned out to the point where it wasn't properly lubricating the bearing.

:iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:04 pm https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/ ... 62978.html

**RARE**NEVER-VAPED-IN** Stock, 2014 Subaru WRX - $19000 (Maple Park)
:amazing: :lolol: :yeahok:
:notbad:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pm
Shame the price is always so retarded on these. That's my favorite gen. Had a smoother suspension, still EJ motor, shitty 5 speed doe. IDK I'd probably rather have that than my current car. But that was a $25k car and they're trying to get $19 for it. Insanity. Which is why I went new.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pm
Shame the price is always so retarded on these. That's my favorite gen. Had a smoother suspension, still EJ motor, shitty 5 speed doe. IDK I'd probably rather have that than my current car. But that was a $25k car and they're trying to get $19 for it. Insanity. Which is why I went new.
I wanted a WRX hatch in this gen bad.