:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:33 am SO, lifted Astro vans are a thing...

http://journeysoffroad.com/awdtest.html

I want to do this with a junkyard truck 5.3 swap. Would be epic for adventure.
Yeah. Would be really cheap to do that. :doit:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:23 am In that case it needs a lighted badge. It's like a beacon. The "free candy" type lure for grown AZN women.
:notbad:

I bet if you put a lighted Benz logo on the grille you could convince them it's a version of the G Wagon. Panties dropping instantly.
:dat:

It's actually a much more modern design :lolol:

Probably rides better too.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:15 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:12 am

Sure you can, NFG on dirt paths through the woods/desert depending on where you live to go do fun stuff.
This thing would actually be pretty epic for Max's yearly death valley sabbatical. Cooler full of beers, back seat full of AZNs, plenty of space for "activities" in the van :hubba: and a 4WD system with ground clearance and tires and a locker to get you over whatever you come across. Plus it's cheap as shit.
If it wasn’t that hideous and beat to shit yep. That thing will strand you 1/2 way to your destination. The idea is neat, hell they sell $300k overlanding sprinter vans etc. it’s just that that thing in particular is :disgust:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:23 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:18 am
You got it.
In that case it needs a lighted badge. It's like a beacon. The "free candy" type lure for grown AZN women.
:dat:
Johnny_P

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:SO, lifted Astro vans are a thing...

http://journeysoffroad.com/awdtest.html

I want to do this with a junkyard truck 5.3 swap. Would be epic for adventure.
You should build one, then I'll buy it when :plac: time arrives.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:23 am

In that case it needs a lighted badge. It's like a beacon. The "free candy" type lure for grown AZN women.
:notbad:

I bet if you put a lighted Benz logo on the grille you could convince them it's a version of the G Wagon. Panties dropping instantly.
Therefore - badgewhores.....winning! :)
max225

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Love it! Handbuilt powerful and unique. If he gets his price good for him. Will outperform other cars that cost 2x that. Another combo like the Pantera - powerful and reliable US engine in a gorgeous shape. Would love to test that. Would draw the crowd at Joe n Show on weekends!!
ChrisoftheNorth

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/ ... 06865.html

Pretty tempting as a Woodward Bruiser. Whorange, modded exactly the way I'd do it, probably fast AF.

Hmmmm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 am https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/ ... 06865.html

Pretty tempting as a Woodward Bruiser. Whorange, modded exactly the way I'd do it, probably fast AF.

Hmmmm
I love the exteriors on those. They nailed it with the 5th gens. Interiors.... man they didn't age too well. But fixable mostly with some adjustments like a new head unit.

I really wanted a yellow 1LE. :sad: That would have been so epic. Horribad for the city though.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 am https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/ ... 06865.html

Hmmmm
I love the exteriors on those. They nailed it with the 5th gens. Interiors.... man they didn't age too well. But fixable mostly with some adjustments like a new head unit.

I really wanted a yellow 1LE. :sad: That would have been so epic. Horribad for the city though.
Other than materials, I really don't think the Gen 5 interior is that bad. I like it from a design standpoint. Drive it back-to-back with a gen 6, and it feels a bit more raw.

Visibility is legit horrible, doe. I can't imagine parallel parking one of these on a daily basis. For as little as I'd drive it, and my intended use ( :plaid: ), it would work just fine.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am

Other than materials, I really don't think the Gen 5 interior is that bad. I like it from a design standpoint. Drive it back-to-back with a gen 6, and it feels a bit more raw.

Visibility is legit horrible, doe. I can't imagine parallel parking one of these on a daily basis. For as little as I'd drive it, and my intended use ( :plaid: ), it would work just fine.
Yeah I like it too. Steering wheel from a Cruze, and some questionable materials but overall it's inoffensive just looks a tad dated. Anything with a complex touch screen infotainment system will fall victim of that in only a few years.

It would be a good boulevard cruiser and would get rid of the "YOU DRIVE A CORVETTE HOLY SHIT" stigma. Because everyone knows Camaros are cheap. Likely more comfortable and quieter than the lambo too. I don't think this would be a bad decision at all, mang.
Johnny_P

That's it. The one I wanted. A 2013 1LE in yellow. That way you got the better pre-refresh exterior but the refreshed interior.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:35 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:31 am

Yeah I like it too. Steering wheel from a Cruze, and some questionable materials but overall it's inoffensive just looks a tad dated. Anything with a complex touch screen infotainment system will fall victim of that in only a few years.

It would be a good boulevard cruiser and would get rid of the "YOU DRIVE A CORVETTE HOLY SHIT" stigma. Because everyone knows Camaros are cheap. Likely more comfortable and quieter than the lambo too. I don't think this would be a bad decision at all, mang.
I know it. Gotta see where this house stuff lands, but I might pursue if we don't get caught up with moving.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:35 am

I know it. Gotta see where this house stuff lands, but I might pursue if we don't get caught up with moving.
Supercharged too right? Would probably take to mods well and you could go full :plaid: in it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:43 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:39 am
Supercharged too right? Would probably take to mods well and you could go full :plaid: in it.
Yea, it's a ZL1...so supercharged, same engine that's in my dad's Vagon. Common mods are long tube headers, intake, smaller pulley, and injectors, which this car already has. Supposedly those mods with a tune are good for mid-600 WHP. Blower whine for days (my dad's car sounds :jimp: )

This thing is my ideal gen 5: Whorange without a sunroof :manuel: ZL1.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:43 am

Yea, it's a ZL1...so supercharged, same engine that's in my dad's Vagon. Common mods are long tube headers, intake, smaller pulley, and injectors, which this car already has. Supposedly those mods with a tune are good for mid-600 WHP. Blower whine for days (my dad's car sounds :jimp: )

Go take a look at it!
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 am

Go take a look at it!
Don't want to get too excited. I'm not doing a car swap if we're doing a house swap too...selling the :poorvette: will take some serious effort.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 am

Go take a look at it!
Don't want to get too excited. I'm not doing a car swap if we're doing a house swap too...selling the :poorvette: will take some serious effort.
A 3rd house ? :butwhy:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:57 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 am
3rd?

Moving for the 3rd time, I don't own two houses now.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:57 am
3rd?

Right that ... why do you guys keep moving ? It’s such an enormous hassle every 2-3 years
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:01 am
3rd?

Right that ... why do you guys keep moving ? It’s such an enormous hassle every 2-3 years
If the right house comes along at a good price it can be a worthwhile investment. I know Chris was talking about having to re-do the garage and backyard and whatnot. Which is major :waxer:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:01 am
3rd?

I :plac: cars, :tits: :plac: houses.

In this case, it's a potential market play. Our current house will never be worth more than it is now, the house we're putting an offer on is significantly undervalued in a far more stable (value) area. The new area has substantially lower property taxes and insurance rates (house and car) all with more value upside opportunity. We're looking at $190-$200k in :plac: profit, which would be roughly $90k-100k in actual profit (less if you factor in mortgage interest, but still), so it's hard to turn that down, even though it's a hassle.

Not to mention, this area is the original area we wanted to live in but couldn't afford it when we bought 3 years ago. With both income improvements and house value appreciation, we can. It's all going to come down to the :dill: though, so who knows if it'll actually happen.