:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:09 pm Chris, the whole new house every two years things makes Michelle the QUEEN of :plac: Like number 1. Undisputed world champion. Cannot be beaten and WILL NOT be beaten. Reigning supreme over all the rest.

Think about it. All of that discussion about open shelves? All just wasted calories. DID NOT MATTER. Give those dust collectors and the whole rest of the goddam house to somebody else. :aintcare:
Well, we've been in our current house for 3 years, but yea.

Full disclosure, this potential move is my fault. It all started with a hot tub. She wants a hot tub for the backyard. The only space it makes sense is under power lines, which is a no-no for obvious reasons. Then started the discussion about a deck to put it elsewhere and etc, etc, and I finally said "why don't we finally stop the cash bleeding on this place and just move?"

That was the beginning of the end.

I've been :rage: about the property taxes we pay for years. Suggesting constantly that our house will never be worth more than it is now and we should move this year. The new city has it's own pool that's exclusive to residents and ridiculously nice (no HOA, so that's part of the tax bill). Gets me out of a hot tub because the pool/spa is just down the street.

I knew about the house we're looking at and when we went to look on Zillow, I couldn't believe it was still listed. Our neighbor across the street is a realtor and got us in that afternoon. This is just as much my fault as it is hers. I maintain that we'll only do this if we can strike the right :dill: $400-410 on the new house, above $450 on our current. Contingency for sale of our current house in the offer. It will likely go sideways, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Nah, you're still going to have to buy a fucking hottub, your wife ain't sharing no community tub when she can step out into her leafy backyard with a glass of vino. But your tax reasons/garage reasons make some sense.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:23 pm
Well, we've been in our current house for 3 years, but yea.

Full disclosure, this potential move is my fault. It all started with a hot tub. She wants a hot tub for the backyard. The only space it makes sense is under power lines, which is a no-no for obvious reasons. Then started the discussion about a deck to put it elsewhere and etc, etc, and I finally said "why don't we finally stop the cash bleeding on this place and just move?"

That was the beginning of the end.

I've been :rage: about the property taxes we pay for years. Suggesting constantly that our house will never be worth more than it is now and we should move this year. The new city has it's own pool that's exclusive to residents and ridiculously nice (no HOA, so that's part of the tax bill). Gets me out of a hot tub because the pool/spa is just down the street.

I knew about the house we're looking at and when we went to look on Zillow, I couldn't believe it was still listed. Our neighbor across the street is a realtor and got us in that afternoon. This is just as much my fault as it is hers. I maintain that we'll only do this if we can strike the right :dill: $400-410 on the new house, above $450 on our current. Contingency for sale of our current house in the offer. It will likely go sideways, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Nah, you're still going to have to buy a fucking hottub, your wife ain't sharing no community tub when she can step out into her leafy backyard with a glass of vino. But your tax reasons/garage reasons make some sense.
I know...a man can dream :doe:

At least this house already has a brick pad in the back yard not under power lines that's a perfect spot. Won't take much to add it when the time comes, but she'll be distracted with other Pinshit projects for a few years at least and she has agreed that the garage comes first which is :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 pm

At least this house already has a brick pad in the back yard not under power lines that's a perfect spot. Won't take much to add it when the time comes, but she'll be distracted with other Pinshit projects for a few years at least and she has agreed that the garage comes first which is :notbad:
Just buy one off craigslist. NOTHING DEPRECIATES FASTER. "HEATMASTER 570 MAGNUM WITH 130 JETS, 15 TRAINED TO DELIVER A PERFECT ENEMA. WE PAID $18K NEW SIX MONTHS AGO. MUST SELL $2500 OBO."
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Just buy one off craigslist. NOTHING DEPRECIATES FASTER. "HEATMASTER 570 MAGNUM WITH 130 JETS, 15 TRAINED TO DELIVER A PERFECT ENEMA. WE PAID $18K NEW SIX MONTHS AGO. MUST SELL $2500 OBO."
Considered it...moving it seems like it would be an epic hassle, but we'll see when the time comes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 pm LOL. Close.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/fod/ ... 28314.html
Comes complete with leftover skin cells from someone else's nutsack, too. :notbad:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 pm LOL. Close.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/fod/ ... 28314.html
Comes complete with leftover skin cells from someone else's nutsack, too. :notbad:
:dat:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Yeah, that's 9K that never goes away, ever. Like a ridiculous HOA monthly.
The issue is the median home value in the city is like $100k. Our street and the four streets north to the new city is like $300k. Way back in the day, our street and north used to be a part of the city we're looking to get into. When the city was incorporated, they spun the streets off to our current city probably for tax revenue. Because the millage is set based on the city median value, we get screwed.

Worse, all the poors ALWAYS vote for millage increases. School needs a new roof? YES Extend the library hours to 8pm 7 days a week? OF COURSE. Dog park? ZOMG TAKE MY MONEY. They pay an extra 50, when we're on the hook for an extra $500. I want out of this city and it's stupid people.
Yeah. That's a city for you.

Philly has been conveniently reassessing property values. And people's taxes have been doubling or tripling. Lisa used to pay $800/year total. Now she pays over $2500. So still low but putting a hurting on low income families. Also, the city has 10 year tax abatement on new construction projects that's applied to the home value. You still get taxed on land value but plots are so small the tax from that is minimal. Well they're restructuring a lot of that and flipping it more heavily in favor of the land value, so people with abatement are now paying a lot more in tax. Who cares they can afford it right? Fuck em they have money to buy a new house they have money to pay tax. Meanwhile the people voting to flip this shit are tax delinquent for years.

:rolleyes:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:52 am

Jaysus. Wherever you are, the man gets you somehow.
Totally. Everywhere close to the city of Detroit has :fullretard: taxes. If you move out to the boonies and deal with hour+ commutes, it's more reasonable. But, gotta pay to play.

The $9k we pay now makes me :gag: on the regular. Getting that down will be huge from a psychological standpoint.
So taxes as a % of a 30 year mortgage are 80% of it... :mindblown: that's some major bullshit... I assume the % is so high because house values went to shit at some point... so they should have "reduced" once they shot back up but taxes only go up.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:13 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:26 pm
The issue is the median home value in the city is like $100k. Our street and the four streets north to the new city is like $300k. Way back in the day, our street and north used to be a part of the city we're looking to get into. When the city was incorporated, they spun the streets off to our current city probably for tax revenue. Because the millage is set based on the city median value, we get screwed.

Worse, all the poors ALWAYS vote for millage increases. School needs a new roof? YES Extend the library hours to 8pm 7 days a week? OF COURSE. Dog park? ZOMG TAKE MY MONEY. They pay an extra 50, when we're on the hook for an extra $500. I want out of this city and it's stupid people.

Philly has been conveniently reassessing property values. And people's taxes have been doubling or tripling. Lisa used to pay $800/year total. Now she pays over $2500. So still low but putting a hurting on low income families. Also, the city has 10 year tax abatement on new construction projects that's applied to the home value. You still get taxed on land value but plots are so small the tax from that is minimal. Well they're restructuring a lot of that and flipping it more heavily in favor of the land value, so people with abatement are now paying a lot more in tax. Who cares they can afford it right? Fuck em they have money to buy a new house they have money to pay tax. Meanwhile the people voting to flip this shit are tax delinquent for years.

It's really a screwed up system.

Meanwhile, what the hell do you get for that?

We have a great police department, and world class trash service (they pick up ANYTHING), and that's it. I can legit go to the library at 7pm on a Sunday if I want, and the dog park (which requires dog classes and a subscription fee to get admittance to) is right down the street, but otherwise :whocares:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:15 pm
Totally. Everywhere close to the city of Detroit has :fullretard: taxes. If you move out to the boonies and deal with hour+ commutes, it's more reasonable. But, gotta pay to play.

The $9k we pay now makes me :gag: on the regular. Getting that down will be huge from a psychological standpoint.
So taxes as a % of a 30 year mortgage are 80% of it... :mindblown: that's some major bullshit... I assume the % is so high because house values went to shit at some point... so they should have "reduced" once they shot back up but taxes only go up.

The PO of my house was paying $3k in taxes. We pay $9k. If someone actually pays $450k+ for our house (which has happened with lesser houses than ours on our street), they'll likely be facing a $12k+ property tax bill. It is absolute insanity, and the money goes nowhere that I can see.

If we actually sell our house for the new one, our monthly mortgage payment will decrease by $250 because taxes and insurance are that much cheaper, despite having a larger loan. It's crazy.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:21 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:16 pm

The PO of my house was paying $3k in taxes. We pay $9k. If someone actually pays $450k+ for our house (which has happened with lesser houses than ours on our street), they'll likely be facing a $12k+ property tax bill. It is absolute insanity, and the money goes nowhere that I can see.

If we actually sell our house for the new one, our monthly mortgage payment will decrease by $250 because taxes and insurance are that much cheaper, despite having a larger loan. It's crazy.
12k a year is roughly how much you pay on a 1.5M property here. That's absurd to pay that kind of money in Detroit, since that's the part that will never go away, unlike a mortgage. So wait... come tax time isn't it deductible and give you a yuge benefit? So maybe overall picture isn't so bad.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:13 pm

We have a great police department, and world class trash service (they pick up ANYTHING), and that's it. I can legit go to the library at 7pm on a Sunday if I want, and the dog park (which requires dog classes and a subscription fee to get admittance to) is right down the street, but otherwise :whocares:
Right. Police, fire, sanitation, excellent park system, libraries that I don't use, etc. The school system is completely laughable though, and makes it a tough sell for families to stay here once they have crotchfruit of age for public schooling. So how are they fixing the schools? New soda tax. Sugary drinks get charged an extra ridiculous tax rate. They've pulled in millions from this. Nobody at city hall can for sure say where the money is going. Because the city's treasurer hasn't reconciled accounts in years and they're off by $26 million.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm

12k a year is roughly how much you pay on a 1.5M property here. That's absurd to pay that kind of money in Detroit, since that's the part that will never go away, unlike a mortgage. So wait... come tax time isn't it deductible and give you a yuge benefit? So maybe overall picture isn't so bad.
The property tax plus mortgage interest is a huge tax benefit. It's the silver lining in all of it, we got nearly $3k back in Federal and State last year.

However, the standard exemption is so high now, I don't think we'll get there with property tax and insurance, so that benefit seems to be gone. Perfect time to :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Right. Police, fire, sanitation, excellent park system, libraries that I don't use, etc. The school system is completely laughable though, and makes it a tough sell for families to stay here once they have crotchfruit of age for public schooling. So how are they fixing the schools? New soda tax. Sugary drinks get charged an extra ridiculous tax rate. They've pulled in millions from this. Nobody at city hall can for sure say where the money is going. Because the city's treasurer hasn't reconciled accounts in years and they're off by $26 million.
Sounds like here. Our schools are terrible because kids from Detroit just jump 8-mile and go to school in our district. By accepting them, the school system gets more state money or some :bs: but drags everything down. So where's my money being spent?

I actually had a drunken argument with a city official about this a year or so ago when I was at my neighborhood dive bar. He cited excellent police and trash service...that's all.

But people are full :triggered: by our city because there's epic bars and restaurants, everyone is super liberal (which is the in thing now), and it's probably one of the more forward thinking areas in the entire state.

:lolol: :derp:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Sounds like here. Our schools are terrible because kids from Detroit just jump 8-mile and go to school in our district. By accepting them, the school system gets more state money or some :bs: but drags everything down. So where's my money being spent?

I actually had a drunken argument with a city official about this a year or so ago when I was at my neighborhood dive bar. He cited excellent police and trash service...that's all.

But people are full :triggered: by our city because there's epic bars and restaurants, everyone is super liberal (which is the in thing now), and it's probably one of the more forward thinking areas in the entire state.

Really that's the biggest issue with major cities. Sure they can be fun if you're young and don't have a family. Once you have crotchfruit it's harder to make the case for them because you're not going to bars and the school is horrific so you don't necessarily want to stay for that. Generally there's an exodus from the city when you turn like 30-40 years old.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Really that's the biggest issue with major cities. Sure they can be fun if you're young and don't have a family. Once you have crotchfruit it's harder to make the case for them because you're not going to bars and the school is horrific so you don't necessarily want to stay for that. Generally there's an exodus from the city when you turn like 30-40 years old.
A problem solved by 90% of this forum.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 pm

A problem solved by 90% of this forum.

But I'm still sick of :derp: in the city. ZFG about schools :doe:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:40 am
wap wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 am Link to a listing of the place you're looking at?
Prepare yourself...it's bad...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/46-C ... lpage=true

Looked at it on Saturday, new electrical, HVAC, and copper plumbing. Basement is really clean and dry, roof was replaced 5 years ago, and it's mostly freshly painted outside.

Inside, is...well... :gag: :nope: but nothing us expert pinshitters can't handle.
:shock:
So wallpaper, such 80's. Wow.
You'd have your work cut out for you. Nice spaces, doe. Not much by way of curb appeal yet, but I imagine you have plans for that, too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:44 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 am

Holy shit what is up with prop taxes ? They are higher than what I’m paying on a pretty cheap house...
$6500?!
Those are a deal. We pay $9k on our current house.
Sounds great to me, too. We're just shy of $11 this year. :disgust:
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:51 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:40 am
Prepare yourself...it's bad...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/46-C ... lpage=true

Looked at it on Saturday, new electrical, HVAC, and copper plumbing. Basement is really clean and dry, roof was replaced 5 years ago, and it's mostly freshly painted outside.

Inside, is...well... :gag: :nope: but nothing us expert pinshitters can't handle.
Eh, only bad in pinshit way, removing wallpaper isn't exactly brain surgery, good bones there Bob Villa. I guess we know what 50% of your posts will look like for the next 3 years. Garage is typical :disappoint:
Bag End 2.0 will be 5/7, I'm sure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:44 am
Those are a deal. We pay $9k on our current house.
Interesting. Damn that literally affects your retirement analysis. Almost $1000/month in property taxes. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm

:lolgasm:
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm

But the deduction has now been capped at $10, no? :thankstrump:
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:32 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Interesting. Damn that literally affects your retirement analysis. Almost $1000/month in property taxes. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that.
Yup. It's certainly something that has to figure into the calculus. There is always the option to downsize from our 4 bedroom 4 bath Clapboardtopia to a smaller ranch house or something. Not my first choice but :iono: