:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:20 pm Shame the price is always so retarded on these. That's my favorite gen. Had a smoother suspension, still EJ motor, shitty 5 speed doe. IDK I'd probably rather have that than my current car. But that was a $25k car and they're trying to get $19 for it. Insanity. Which is why I went new.
I wanted a WRX hatch in this gen bad.
Yeah, I wish I'd bought one instead of the :turboyaris: ultimate depreciation machine... I was turned off by the lack of test drives at the subaru :dillerman:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:04 pm https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/ ... 62978.html

**RARE**NEVER-VAPED-IN** Stock, 2014 Subaru WRX - $19000 (Maple Park)
:amazing: :lolol: :yeahok:
5 models years old... almost due for the Headgasket "service" and it is 19k. :wtf: :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:32 pm
Detroit wrote: I wanted a WRX hatch in this gen bad.
Yeah, I wish I'd bought one instead of the :turboyaris: ultimate depreciation machine... I was turned off by the lack of test drives at the subaru :dillerman:
Same. I walked from a Blurple WRX hatch because they wouldn't let me test drive it "without financial commitment to purchase".
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:32 pm
Detroit wrote: I wanted a WRX hatch in this gen bad.
I bought in 2010. That was when the Rex looked like a Corolla. Legitimately. In 2011 they came out with the widebody and I was :sad: instantly. 2011 had stiffer shocks that were still comfortable.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:39 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:32 pm Yeah, I wish I'd bought one instead of the :turboyaris: ultimate depreciation machine... I was turned off by the lack of test drives at the subaru :dillerman:
Same. I walked from a Blurple WRX hatch because they wouldn't let me test drive it "without financial commitment to purchase".
I really don't understand why they had this mentality. Even in 2010 I had no issue test driving a WRX sedan with 3 of my friends. We had a shitload of fun on that test drive. Car was fast, and got it dorifto around some turns. Legit fun car. Horrible interior and mundane looks turned me off of it. If it had the widebody.... I'd probably have looked past the interior complaints and done it.

Remembering more now. Had a very strange clutch feel. Also a soft suspension that flopped over in really hard turns. But did have it sideways. Was a riot.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 pm
5 models years old... almost due for the Headgasket "service" and it is 19k. :wtf: :nope:
Exactly why I went new. Used prices on these made no sense. That car should be $12k. 2 years ago when I was STI shopping this would have been $22k. Insanity.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:39 pm
I really don't understand why they had this mentality. Even in 2010 I had no issue test driving a WRX sedan with 3 of my friends. We had a shitload of fun on that test drive. Car was fast, and got it dorifto around some turns. Legit fun car. Horrible interior and mundane looks turned me off of it. If it had the widebody.... I'd probably have looked past the interior complaints and done it.

Remembering more now. Had a very strange clutch feel. Also a soft suspension that flopped over in really hard turns. But did have it sideways. Was a riot.
Yea, this was a 2012 wide body. Legit :jimp:

I think it was a regional thing. In SoCal, nobody could test drive WRX, STI, or BRZs. I test drove a BRZ by going to the Scion :dillerman: where they gave me a FR-S to take by myself. :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:04 pm https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/ ... 62978.html

**RARE**NEVER-VAPED-IN** Stock, 2014 Subaru WRX - $19000 (Maple Park)
:amazing: :lolol: :yeahok:
Aside from the blown clutch in the one I test drove, I quite enjoyed it.
troyguitar

I just remembered the other reason I didn't buy a WRX or wait for the FR-S to come out... didn't want to own a furrin car in MI while working in the auto industry. :fullretard:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pm
:notbad:
Shame the price is always so retarded on these. That's my favorite gen. Had a smoother suspension, still EJ motor, shitty 5 speed doe. IDK I'd probably rather have that than my current car. But that was a $25k car and they're trying to get $19 for it. Insanity. Which is why I went new.
That's a Limited. MSRP on that would've been about $30k. Still high though, IMO, with that many miles.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I think it was a regional thing. In SoCal, nobody could test drive WRX, STI, or BRZs. I test drove a BRZ by going to the Scion :dillerman: where they gave me a FR-S to take by myself. :mindblown:
Yeah I had the peepee slap dillerman-by-the-side experience in the BRZ. Bleh. Can't have any fun that way. STI the guy encouraged me to rip on it :notbad:

This was what I test drove.

Literally nothing says BUY ME design wise, IMO. Such a boring fucking car. And then the next year they get released with rad wheels, quad exhaust, vents everywhere, and super bulgy fenders with 235's and :rage:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 pm
They rode so much smoother than the current gen. Really ideal. The trans was pretty much shit on them though, as was the interior and radio. Well my radio is still shit so I guess that hasn't changed, lol.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:10 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 pm

They rode so much smoother than the current gen. Really ideal. The trans was pretty much shit on them though, as was the interior and radio. Well my radio is still shit so I guess that hasn't changed, lol.
Interior didn't bug me, brought back fond memories of my 2004. Dat glass 5MT :doe:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Interior didn't bug me, brought back fond memories of my 2004. Dat glass 5MT :doe:
I owned a superior interior before. Not all it's cracked up to be.
troyguitar

I really like my RX8 cloth interior, and the FR-S too for that matter. Simple and comfortable. I would probably upgrade the speakers at some point, but otherwise :aintcare: it's a nice car.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:17 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:14 pm

I owned a superior interior before. Not all it's cracked up to be.
I've never owned a superior interior. At least I don't think Subaru's are superior interior. :notsure:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Yeah I had the peepee slap dillerman-by-the-side experience in the BRZ. Bleh. Can't have any fun that way. STI the guy encouraged me to rip on it :notbad:

This was what I test drove.

Literally nothing says BUY ME design wise, IMO. Such a boring fucking car. And then the next year they get released with rad wheels, quad exhaust, vents everywhere, and super bulgy fenders with 235's and :rage:
I could never get behind these overpriced corollas. The WRX i drove back with the GTI did nothing for me. It was more money, slower, smaller inside, less fuel efficient and had a far shittier interior.
Johnny_P

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

1-owner M235i xdrive :manuel: with solid history, documented 7k OCI, and 21k miles for $24k. :notbad:
Johnny_P

Or a CPO one under $30k
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

This is rather tempting... Wonder if it has service records aside from the carfox stuff.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:21 pm https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

1-owner M235i xdrive :manuel: with solid history, documented 7k OCI, and 21k miles for $24k. :notbad:
Weird so the 235i doesn't come with fixed calipers... bizzare, also poverty nav is a bit :gay: . The X drive models come on :225: 's all around and that's the first thing I'd change on it. :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:21 pm https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

Weird so the 235i doesn't come with fixed calipers... bizzare, also poverty nav is a bit :gay: . The X drive models come on :225: 's all around and that's the first thing I'd change on it. :disgust:
That's not a 235i. It's a 228i, check the poverty exhaust tips. That explains your caliper issue.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

IIRC even on the 235 the fixed front calipers are optional "M-sport" brakes for $650.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:35 pm

That's not a 235i. It's a 228i, check the poverty exhaust tips. That explains your caliper issue.
Wow you're right... :wtf: it is listed as a 235i in the header. :dillerman: BS games.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:35 pm

:rage: axis of evil motor cars
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:49 pm IIRC even on the 235 the fixed front calipers are optional "M-sport" brakes for $650.
I believe the fronts are the same minus shiny paint it adds fixed rears which don’t do much. At least that’s how it is on the 335i