:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:22 pm ND1s are practically worthless right now. $20k cash gets you a loaded club with 10k miles that was $35k last year.
Cheapest club within 100 miles of me is a 2016 for $22,400 with 10k on it and no Brembo/BBS package. I'd easily pay the extra $900 for the '17 with Brembros.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Nice 4x4 for not a lot o cash. Winter / weekender off-roader?? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... id=1&pid=1
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Davestr wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:44 pm Nice 4x4 for not a lot o cash. Winter / weekender off-roader?? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... id=1&pid=1
Except it’s 2wd... :notsure:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:35 am There are a few cars that I'd like to buy if they didn't require premium, but adding 25% to my fuel costs is a big ole :nope:
It just doesn’t really make sense, it’ll probably run on regular since everyone else will likely do just that and
It’ll be fine. :butwhy: does a 2.4 liter pos :derp: mobile need premium with only 200hp

Hers is really nice, 2010 model, 89k miles it has had 1 issue, the rear brake getting worn out at 25k miles which Acura fixed for free out of warranty. It also has transmission services and on time oil changes, that car will litterally run forever.
I have ran regular on my 04 TSX (also has a 2.4 but little different) and I have felt a difference, not much, but noticeable enough. and yes it can run pretty much forever, only mechanical issue was just a broken engine mount at 90k miles. It was pretty slow considering it takes premium (about 8 seconds 0-60). I had that car when gas was nearly 4 a gallon (around $6-7 in cali, circa spring 2012).
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Blah. I don't know what I want to bloody buy at this point. After "deciding" on one particular iA and then having it be sold before I could grab it, I feel like I've gone right back to square one. Can I really deal with a FWD automatic with no features? Will I actually end up in a shitty apartment with no way to work on my own stuff? Life would be so much easier if I just had Max Money. :sad:
troyguitar

I'm wondering about Ferds now.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

3 cylinders of 'murica, with :manuel: and CPO plus an actual dealer network in this country.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:49 pm I'm wondering about Ferds now.

3 cylinders of 'murica, with :manuel: and CPO plus an actual dealer network in this country.
still better than a mirage, dat turbo torque.
The car in following it's pretty much like the focus on paper and have driven it enough, really like it for a fun-ish daily. It's nowhere near awful as the mirage.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 005&page=1
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:49 pm I'm wondering about Ferds now.

Not a revvy motor. But the Focus is a good car aside from that stupid failomatic they put in it.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:21 pm Blah. I don't know what I want to bloody buy at this point. After "deciding" on one particular iA and then having it be sold before I could grab it, I feel like I've gone right back to square one. Can I really deal with a FWD automatic with no features? Will I actually end up in a shitty apartment with no way to work on my own stuff? Life would be so much easier if I just had Max Money. :sad:
I don’t know your financial situation but I think it’s worth spending a bit of money to get into a car you like.

Why not something like Griff just bought? A 3 series plus snow tires has got to be pretty good for winter. Or xdrive available. They’re well made cars and don’t seem to have many problems. Double the price of the iA but still not exactly expensive compared to everything out there.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:21 pm Blah. I don't know what I want to bloody buy at this point. After "deciding" on one particular iA and then having it be sold before I could grab it, I feel like I've gone right back to square one. Can I really deal with a FWD automatic with no features? Will I actually end up in a shitty apartment with no way to work on my own stuff? Life would be so much easier if I just had Max Money. :sad:
You have a good car now, gotta stop flipping them like hookers after Valentine’s Day. I was never a fan of your ia idea, it works if you keep it forever but for someone that can somewhat wrench on cars appartment situation be damned there are just other choices around that are less soul crushing
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 am
You have a good car now, gotta stop flipping them like hookers after Valentine’s Day. I was never a fan of your ia idea, it works if you keep it forever but for someone that can somewhat wrench on cars appartment situation be damned there are just other choices around that are less soul crushing
:amaze:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
I'm almost entirely the opposite of you in terms of what I enjoy in a car, so it's not surprising that you'd not understand. I don't care about power, badge, or rear seat space. I do care about cost, gear and steering ratios, cargo space and seating position.

A cheap car with great ergonomics, short city gears, long highway gears, and quick steering is pretty much the ideal thing. Everything else is easy to improve or not very important. A sway bar, alignment, and good wheels, tires, brake pads can make pretty much any car good to drive as long as the steering+gearing+seating is good.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:58 pm
max225 wrote: You have a good car now, gotta stop flipping them like hookers after Valentine’s Day. I was never a fan of your ia idea, it works if you keep it forever but for someone that can somewhat wrench on cars appartment situation be damned there are just other choices around that are less soul crushing
I'm almost entirely the opposite of you in terms of what I enjoy in a car, so it's not surprising that you'd not understand. I don't care about power, badge, or rear seat space. I do care about cost, gear and steering ratios, cargo space and seating position.

A cheap car with great ergonomics, short city gears, long highway gears, and quick steering is pretty much the ideal thing. Everything else is easy to improve or not very important. A sway bar, alignment, and good wheels, tires, brake pads can make pretty much any car good to drive as long as the steering+gearing+seating is good.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Apex wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:00 pm
Davestr wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:44 pm Nice 4x4 for not a lot o cash. Winter / weekender off-roader?? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... id=1&pid=1
Except it’s 2wd... :notsure:
OMG the world kept turning still lol :)
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 am
+1. You're moving to New York, not getting a lobotomy. What's next? Going to church? Becoming a ray of sunshine? Good god man, what has happened to you?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 pm Miatas really rival BMWs as the ultimate depreciation machine.
Only $110/mile, NBD.[/quote

I think still a little less than the first owner of my Beemmah.

]
MexicanYarisTK wrote: still better than a mirage, dat turbo torque.
The car in following it's pretty much like the focus on paper and have driven it enough, really like it for a fun-ish daily. It's nowhere near awful as the mirage.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 005&page=1
Desertbreh wrote: +1. You're moving to New York, not getting a lobotomy. What's next? Going to church? Becoming a ray of sunshine? Good god man, what has happened to you?
:dat:

Also it's Upstate New York, I don't get it. I've worked on cars while living in rental properties for my entire life. It's not amazing but it's fine. I'll appreciate a garage someday, but I'm not giving up being a car guy.

Why not just keep the great car you currently own?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:I'm wondering about Ferds now.

One of my good friends has had a manual 2013 since new, I think it has like 70k miles now. Only oil changes and one set of tires, really solid car. I've driven it, it's decent but nothing special. I rented a turbo 3 cylinder Fiesta in England a few years back and didn't enjoy the engine at all.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm

One of my good friends has had a manual 2013 since new, I think it has like 70k miles now. Only oil changes and one set of tires, really solid car. I've driven it, it's decent but nothing special. I rented a turbo 3 cylinder Fiesta in England a few years back and didn't enjoy the engine at all.

Lol that rental dude said it’s fast :lolol: just give him the vette and he’ll become like one of the mustang guys
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:05 am
coogles wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 am Silly egg. Should have bought one of these instead.

:manuel:, cloth seats, no DI, no crazy UI shit. Could rock this for a long time.
I rocked the chubbier TL and can confirm it's reliability. Not very engaging to drive, maybe the tsx is decent?
I found my mk6 and mk7 to be more engaging to drive in comparison to my 04 TSX. Tsx doesn’t feel boaty by any means, almost no body roll, slightly heavier steering than both of my gti’s, auto is responsible on higher speeds. One thing I hated, it required premium for a car that is quite underpowered.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:

I figured that you could now get a set of takeoff ST recarbros and sway bars for cheap-ish and have a sporty feeling :scrooge: car. Looks like $800 for the seats and $50 for an ST rear sway bar.

The iA is probably better to drive :doe: - it is like 600 lbs lighter with an NA engine. I'm not sure if anything else is really going to be able to compete with that. Fiesta ST for a bunch more money, maybe an Abarth and prayers to Enzo that it is reliable?

I'm over spending time and money on cars for the next few years. This is either going to be a bridge toward a fully :aintcare: podlyfe or a way to save enough to actually buy something really great.
troyguitar

Dunno if it's fake news, but the loaded sedan version of the lobster turbros are listed cheap for some leftover new 2018s:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Could be :notbad: if real.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm

IMO they handle nicely. Not the smoothest cars over bumps and stuff but I guess that's the tradeoff. The Focus has always been a nice handling cheap car. The current gen has proven to be rather reliable with exception of the powershit DCT. The regular engine is a 2.ohhhh that's sort of revvy and 160 HP. The 1.0T has significantly better fuel economy though. Pretty dated car inside, I'd rather have a Mazda 3.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:52 pm
D Griff wrote:One of my good friends has had a manual 2013 since new, I think it has like 70k miles now. Only oil changes and one set of tires, really solid car. I've driven it, it's decent but nothing special. I rented a turbo 3 cylinder Fiesta in England a few years back and didn't enjoy the engine at all.

I figured that you could now get a set of takeoff ST recarbros and sway bars for cheap-ish and have a sporty feeling :scrooge: car. Looks like $800 for the seats and $50 for an ST rear sway bar.

The iA is probably better to drive :doe: - it is like 600 lbs lighter with an NA engine. I'm not sure if anything else is really going to be able to compete with that. Fiesta ST for a bunch more money, maybe an Abarth and prayers to Enzo that it is reliable?

I'm over spending time and money on cars for the next few years. This is either going to be a bridge toward a fully :aintcare: podlyfe or a way to save enough to actually buy something really great.
I think an Abarth would be a lot of fun. IMO they look and sound awesome. I don't think you'd like it though, the way you sit is like a dinner table. But yeah it's sort of like getting drunk and playing with a chainsaw kind of "fun," not a precision instrument. FiST is likely a better vehicle to drive, but again with the dinner table seating position.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:56 am Dunno if it's fake news, but the loaded sedan version of the lobster turbros are listed cheap for some leftover new 2018s:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Could be :notbad: if real.
"New" with 4800 miles just make sure the warranty transfers over, pretty sure slanty H doesn't allow the epic 10 year warranty to transfer to owner 2. They've been nailing the price to features ratio on their cars lately. This looks more exciting than a Focus :iono:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 am
troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:52 pm I figured that you could now get a set of takeoff ST recarbros and sway bars for cheap-ish and have a sporty feeling :scrooge: car. Looks like $800 for the seats and $50 for an ST rear sway bar.

I think an Abarth would be a lot of fun. IMO they look and sound awesome. I don't think you'd like it though, the way you sit is like a dinner table. But yeah it's sort of like getting drunk and playing with a chainsaw kind of "fun," not a precision instrument. FiST is likely a better vehicle to drive, but again with the dinner table seating position.
The seating position in the FiST (particularly with Recaros) is OK for what it is. The Fiat is like sitting in a minivan.

The Fiat is Very fun to drive. Chuckable, makes good noises, etc. Not as dynamic or usable as the FiST, but a good, cheap, fun car nonetheless.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...