:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Wait, front axles replaced? :fullretard: And yeah, assuming it's still on original shocks and cooling system it'll need those ASAP.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

coogles wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:44 pm Fack. Why do I still have a soft spot for these?

:megusta:

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/20 ... 29665.html
Its a nice looking and good performing car!!! :)
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:44 pm Fack. Why do I still have a soft spot for these?

I like these. Going to need constant attention though. Suspension, bushings, cooling system, etc will all need replacement sooner than later at that mileage.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:I like these. Going to need constant attention though. Suspension, bushings, cooling system, etc will all need replacement sooner than later at that mileage.
Probably. I do miss wrenching, but NEEDING to wrench when it's your daily is something else. Plus once the kid comes I'll need a car that can shuttle the little terror to daycare even though now I can take public transportation to work. If it was within a reasonable drive I'd go check it out, but Raleigh is good 10 hour drive from here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:42 am
Johnny_P wrote:I like these. Going to need constant attention though. Suspension, bushings, cooling system, etc will all need replacement sooner than later at that mileage.
Probably. I do miss wrenching, but NEEDING to wrench when it's your daily is something else. Plus once the kid comes I'll need a car that can shuttle the little terror to daycare even though now I can take public transportation to work. If it was within a reasonable drive I'd go check it out, but Raleigh is good 10 hour drive from here.

I can't remember if you have a garage or not. Something like this would require that or a driveway at least. I don't think anything on this car is overly hard to DIY, as I'm sure there are how-to's on a ton of forums by now for all the regular problems. The engine itself and 6MT seem durable, it's just the shit bolted to them that fails. Which is much easier to replace.

If you have a workspace you could get this as the fixer-upper fun tinkering project, and get something more mundane/comfy to drive the kiddo around in.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:I can't remember if you have a garage or not. Something like this would require that or a driveway at least. I don't think anything on this car is overly hard to DIY, as I'm sure there are how-to's on a ton of forums by now for all the regular problems. The engine itself and 6MT seem durable, it's just the shit bolted to them that fails. Which is much easier to replace.

If you have a workspace you could get this as the fixer-upper fun tinkering project, and get something more mundane/comfy to drive the kiddo around in.
I do. If both cars are in there it's totally unusable for working on one, but with the other car in the driveway it's plenty of space. Would need better lighting if I was going to be wrenching a lot, but that's not a big deal.

I don't think I'd get one of these as a "fun" car. I know some people do, but they're just not special enough IMO to warrant that kind of treatment.

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 am
Johnny_P wrote:I can't remember if you have a garage or not. Something like this would require that or a driveway at least. I don't think anything on this car is overly hard to DIY, as I'm sure there are how-to's on a ton of forums by now for all the regular problems. The engine itself and 6MT seem durable, it's just the shit bolted to them that fails. Which is much easier to replace.

I do. If both cars are in there it's totally unusable for working on one, but with the other car in the driveway it's plenty of space. Would need better lighting if I was going to be wrenching a lot, but that's not a big deal.

I don't think I'd get one of these as a "fun" car. I know some people do, but they're just not special enough IMO to warrant that kind of treatment.

Understood. I'd probably look for something a bit more special as well as a second car.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:35 am
coogles wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 am

Understood. I'd probably look for something a bit more special as well as a second car.
:poorvette:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:35 am
Ripping open the core of Middle-Earth with the loping Camdalf is an excellent option.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 am
Ripping open the core of Middle-Earth with the loping Camdalf is an excellent option.
It really is. I know I've been :eeyore: on it with some :plac: shit, but once I got the kinks fully worked out on it, I absolutely love it. I'm driving it less now too with the Volt being fixed, so keeping it "special" has really made it :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm

3/18/10 (46,000) - Maintenance inspection complete. Exterior light checked. Front axles replaced. Lower control arm bushings replaced. Alignment performed. Passed emissions/safety. (BMW Dealer).
:wtf: kind of :fullretard: owned this car.
No shock replacements...
No cooling system replacement...

:notsure: wtf is going on there.
Could have been done earlier or maybe not needed. Seems this owner was happy to toss money to have dealer maintenance done and documented.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:55 pm Could have been done earlier or maybe not needed. Seems this owner was happy to toss money to have dealer maintenance done and documented.
:bruh:

It's RWD, it doesn't have front axles.
Davestr

coogles wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:58 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:55 pm Could have been done earlier or maybe not needed. Seems this owner was happy to toss money to have dealer maintenance done and documented.

Uh....bruh......check the referenced data from Max on lack of cooling system replacement and suspension. My post is referencing that. So take your complimentary boardgame, exit stage left and thanks for playing. :trollface:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:55 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm

:wtf: kind of :fullretard: owned this car.
No shock replacements...
No cooling system replacement...

:notsure: wtf is going on there.
Could have been done earlier or maybe not needed. Seems this owner was happy to toss money to have dealer maintenance done and documented.
Car has 100k miles.... i think it is just about "used up". Would need all that + clutch in the next 1-2 years... If someone is good at wrenching themselves it is a decent enough buy as the parts aren't terribly expensive. Most are beat to shit and salvaged. But continuing to "dealer" service this car is a financial nightmare.

Also the ZHP cars are :unicorn: 's they have very peculiar vanos setups that is 3x as complicated as the base cars, yet only yielding 5-10 extra hp, they fail frequently right around 100k miles as well.

Having owned a dealer maintained E46 of that vintage with an enthusiast owner that actually gave me ~15k worth of receipts by the time reached 80k miles... I'd say there is a lot to do... it will require constant tinkering. I am also not a huge fan of that chassis, it is made of glass, with the rear subframe falling out etc.

:nope: been there done that. not worth it, better options out there.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:17 pm
coogles wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Uh....bruh......check the referenced data from Max on lack of cooling system replacement and suspension. My post is referencing that. So take your complimentary boardgame, exit stage left and thanks for playing. :trollface:
:lolol: Sorry, I totally missed the post you were replying to.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 pm Car has 100k miles.... i think it is just about "used up". Would need all that + clutch in the next 1-2 years... If someone is good at wrenching themselves it is a decent enough buy as the parts aren't terribly expensive. Most are beat to shit and salvaged. But continuing to "dealer" service this car is a financial nightmare.

Also the ZHP cars are :unicorn: 's they have very peculiar vanos setups that is 3x as complicated as the base cars, yet only yielding 5-10 extra hp, they fail frequently right around 100k miles as well.

Having owned a dealer maintained E46 of that vintage with an enthusiast owner that actually gave me ~15k worth of receipts by the time reached 80k miles... I'd say there is a lot to do... it will require constant tinkering. I am also not a huge fan of that chassis, it is made of glass, with the rear subframe falling out etc.

An E46 is hardly used up at 100k. They definitely require some care and at this point should only owned by people comfortable with turning wrenches themselves, but there are examples everywhere of E46s running 200k, 250k+ and still kicking. Saw one guy's maintenance thread on ZHPMafia
that mentioned he was still on the original clutch past 300k. The cars aren't reliable in the way a Camry is, but the are incredibly durable.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 pm Car has 100k miles.... i think it is just about "used up". Would need all that + clutch in the next 1-2 years... If someone is good at wrenching themselves it is a decent enough buy as the parts aren't terribly expensive. Most are beat to shit and salvaged. But continuing to "dealer" service this car is a financial nightmare.

An E46 is hardly used up at 100k. They definitely require some care and at this point should only owned by people comfortable with turning wrenches themselves, but there are examples everywhere of E46s running 200k, 250k+ and still kicking. Saw one guy's maintenance thread on ZHPMafia
that mentioned he was still on the original clutch past 300k. The cars aren't reliable in the way a Camry is, but the are incredibly durable.
Really depends on what you deem as acceptable. (a lot of these are "old car issues" ) that ppl don't care about...
1. The nav is utterly useless and essentially requires replacement as the maps date back to when ppl had nokia brickphones and it is not user friendly and hideous.
2. The rear shelf fades to a blue color from black due to sun exposure
3. every single bushing is dry rotted by 100k miles
4. Rear subframe cracks and needs welds, or structural foam or both, it happens on most cars, especially on manual cars and those with larger wheels/tires both of which this car is equipped with
5. Leather/etc all is quite aged, I changed my shift boot as it was fucked, steering wheel is shiny.. etc
6. xenons start failing
7. cooling system as mentioned
8. mine popped a wheel bearing at 90k, not terribly expensive but annoying
9. TPMS will need work
10. Various sensors tend to fail.
11. Vanos as mentioned
12. Speakers start to dry rot out...

Yes you can take nearly anything to 200k miles but it requires work, in this case quite a bit, the first and second owners enjoyed nearly trouble free ownership, but that won't be the case for the 3rd owner. These cars are not that reliable, there are a lot of areas that need constant attention unless you're willing to just :aintcare: old car shit, like some dudes do and drive around with oil/coolant leaks and noisy/worn out suspensions. A Camry as you drew in your comparison wouldn't need 80% of that.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 94630.html

A stroked 550+ WHP V10 M5... what could possibly go wrong.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:59 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 94630.html

A stroked 550+ WHP V10 M5... what could possibly go wrong.
Looks like he's moving on because the car has been grenading its transmissions.
16k ago: New SMG
4k ago: Stroker :fap: kit installed
500 ago: Rebuilt SMG

:nope:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:12 pm
coogles wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Really depends on what you deem as acceptable. (a lot of these are "old car issues" ) that ppl don't care about...
1. The nav is utterly useless and essentially requires replacement as the maps date back to when ppl had nokia brickphones and it is not user friendly and hideous.
4. Rear subframe cracks and needs welds, or structural foam or both, it happens on most cars, especially on manual cars and those with larger wheels/tires both of which this car is equipped with
5. Leather/etc all is quite aged, I changed my shift boot as it was fucked, steering wheel is shiny.. etc
6. xenons start failing
9. TPMS will need work
11. Vanos as mentioned

Yes you can take nearly anything to 200k miles but it requires work, in this case quite a bit, the first and second owners enjoyed nearly trouble free ownership, but that won't be the case for the 3rd owner. These cars are not that reliable, there are a lot of areas that need constant attention unless you're willing to just :aintcare: old car shit, like some dudes do and drive around with oil/coolant leaks and noisy/worn out suspensions. A Camry as you drew in your comparison wouldn't need 80% of that.
:wrong:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

It's true, my E30 expired a dozen or so years ago.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:32 pm It's true, my E30 expired a dozen or so years ago.
How is your Frankenstein monster coming?

You haven't updated in the last few days?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

wap wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm
Melon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:32 pm It's true, my E30 expired a dozen or so years ago.

Hoping to get some paint on it soon. Weather is looking rough over the Memorial Day weekend unfortunately.
I posted updates before I went on vacation, but those are about 2 weeks old.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:14 pm
wap wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Hoping to get some paint on it soon. Weather is looking rough over the Memorial Day weekend unfortunately.
I posted updates before I went on vacation, but those are about 2 weeks old.
:popcorn:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:23 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:12 pm

6. xenons start failing
9. TPMS will need work
11. Vanos as mentioned

Aside from the subframe and vanos, almost everything on your list is a wear item or old-car-thing at this point.

And pretty much any pre-owned BMW past 75k miles/7 years should have the cooling system checked/overhauled. Rite of passage.
Very true, except the E46 has more features than the average used car from that decade. Lots of sensors, lots of airbags, fancy lights, navi units etc. More shit to break :(