Ask any racer, any real racer...

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:46 pm I keep trying to get into autox and it's just always so meh. I get more enjoyment out of running karts at GoPro Motorplex ( http://www.gopromotorplex.com/ ).

Place is :fuckyeah: and I get 30 minutes of seat time in an hour or two for a similar price as an autox.
And you don't have to pick up cones for 5 hours in the sun. :fuckyeah:

Yeah I think the track day bro would be fun to do. I think it's worth $150 for some actual real track time as opposed to spending an entire day for 5 total minutes of performance driving.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:46 pm I keep trying to get into autox and it's just always so meh. I get more enjoyment out of running karts at GoPro Motorplex ( http://www.gopromotorplex.com/ ).

Place is :fuckyeah: and I get 30 minutes of seat time in an hour or two for a similar price as an autox.

Yeah I think the track day bro would be fun to do. I think it's worth $150 for some actual real track time as opposed to spending an entire day for 5 total minutes of performance driving.
It's absolutely worth $150, I promise you won't regret it. The track nights thing seems :fuckyeah: , my job just prevents me from stuff like that :sad: .
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:54 am Track Night (bro) in America sounds fun as hell. I just found out about this today. Local tracks have these nights with the SCCA. I've never done something like this doe, I guess I'd need a helmet and would probably run in full novice :derp: group.
I'll do NJMP with you and Zil and apex.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:54 am Track Night (bro) in America sounds fun as hell. I just found out about this today. Local tracks have these nights with the SCCA. I've never done something like this doe, I guess I'd need a helmet and would probably run in full novice :derp: group.
I'll do NJMP with you and Zil and apex.
:notbad: I could even bring the BroPro
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:53 pm

It's absolutely worth $150, I promise you won't regret it. The track nights thing seems :fuckyeah: , my job just prevents me from stuff like that :sad: .
Bring the BangBus for some tunes.

#SQUADGOALS
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 pm

#SQUADGOALS
YAAASSSS
Johnny_P

That movie was so freaking awesome.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 pm That movie was so freaking awesome.
I need to see it. :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Bang Bus is basically the ultimate tailgating vehicle, but too :waxer: to fuck with like that.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 pm
in4DFDmovienight
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 pm
:bruh: :disappoint:

It was so :fullretard: bonkers from beginning to end it was 5/7 fantastic.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:I keep trying to get into autox and it's just always so meh. I get more enjoyment out of running karts at GoPro Motorplex ( http://www.gopromotorplex.com/ ).

You have to get pretty good at autox before it gets fun. Before that it kind of sucks.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 pm
D Griff wrote:I keep trying to get into autox and it's just always so meh. I get more enjoyment out of running karts at GoPro Motorplex ( http://www.gopromotorplex.com/ ).

You have to get pretty good at autox before it gets fun. Before that it kind of sucks.
:iono: I think the runs themselves are fun as hell. Just.... 5 mins total...... full day of driving to/from and course working..... :notsure:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 pm It's absolutely worth $150, I promise you won't regret it. The track nights thing seems :fuckyeah: , my job just prevents me from stuff like that :sad: .

#SQUADGOALS
:lolol: :lolgasm:

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:word:

I can see that... Being competitive with people would change things, being friends with them would too. But I suck and doubt I'll ever put in the dedication to get good.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:dat:

It's fun to climb to the top of RAW times and talk shit with people.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Melon wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 am

Exactly. This is where I'm at now. Basically when the times come out, I look at the RAW times and cut out all the Modified and Prepped classes that are at the top and running slicks, and I see where I'm at in that list. I've been aiming for top 5, but wanting to push it to top 5 total. The prep to get there is what I like.
A while back when I was at an event a guy with a 2014ish 5.0 came up and asked me some questions about my Z. Said he was in the market for a side car and it was between a C5 Corvette, or a mid 2000s 5.0 for the same price. I told him I was in the same boat, and ultimately decided Vette because I wanted a true sports car, not a pony car. He validated his purchase by saying his has new technology, better interior, better hp numbers on paper... all that shit. Kind of had a smuggness to his talk.
I swear I smashed that fucker by maybe 10 seconds on the autocross track. All that talk on paper don't get you shit son. You can't drive and your car's a P.O.S.
:baby:

Edit: I had to look it up. HAHAHAH He was so bad that he didn't even finish his runs. Poor kid. And I was right up on that 2013 Boss 302 and I was running 320 Hankooks and he was running 200tw. This was the turning point for me when I finally started to figure the car out and started to really enjoy it. Then I decided to splurge on proper tires to start bridging the gap between the leaders in CAM.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:14 am

Exactly. This is where I'm at now. Basically when the times come out, I look at the RAW times and cut out all the Modified and Prepped classes that are at the top and running slicks, and I see where I'm at in that list. I've been aiming for top 5, but wanting to push it to top 5 total. The prep to get there is what I like.
A while back when I was at an event a guy with a 2014ish 5.0 came up and asked me some questions about my Z. Said he was in the market for a side car and it was between a C5 Corvette, or a mid 2000s 5.0 for the same price. I told him I was in the same boat, and ultimately decided Vette because I wanted a true sports car, not a pony car. He validated his purchase by saying his has new technology, better interior, better hp numbers on paper... all that shit. Kind of had a smuggness to his talk.
I swear I smashed that fucker by maybe 10 seconds on the autocross track. All that talk on paper don't get you shit son. You can't drive and your car's a P.O.S.

Edit: I had to look it up. HAHAHAH He was so bad that he didn't even finish his runs. Poor kid. And I was right up on that 2013 Boss 302 and I was running 320 Hankooks and he was running 200tw. This was the turning point for me when I finally started to figure the car out and started to really enjoy it. Then I decided to splurge on proper tires to start bridging the gap between the leaders in CAM.
:micdrop: :lolgasm:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:13 am
:iono: I think the runs themselves are fun as hell. Just.... 5 mins total...... full day of driving to/from and course working..... :notsure:
Yea, the bang for the time investment is just not even remotely there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

You should start listing your car as "millennial yellow" and see if anyone takes note :trollface:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I have, on occasion, trolled at track days for my own amusement, or to shutdown some sh*t talking. From a track day in July: I overheard the people pitted next me noting that the "KTM exited the turns like a rocket, but my corner speed was a bit meh" These guys were on a GSXR 1k and new Aprilia Tuono 1100. After hearing this I made sure to follow them out onto the track where I hounded them from behind for a session, knowing full well they could hear my bike. Hounded them again the next session, but passed them with a lap or two left. Then I made sure they didn't catch me on my last.

Often times other riders don't realize someone is "slow" (ok, there's some legit slow people..) because they might be working on a specific corner or technique. I generally approach a day with a specific goal in mind, whether it be braking points, mid-corner speed, throttle transitions, or getting better at one specific corner. Focusing on these improvements may, at times, mean I'm a bit slower at certain points.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

So, my review of the M track days thing at COTA.

Fantastic way to spend 250 dollars.

The split us up into 4 run groups for the 4 modules: COTA in M3, COTA in M4, autox, "drag race/stop box"

So, I went M3, M4, autox, dragrace. I shall give the account in reverse order.

The Drag race was basically 0-60-0 runs in all the ///M cars save the 2, 3, 4. It was fun. The ABS on the big cars is shitty :doe: threshold braking produced FAR better results. As racers we know this to be true, but ABS is usually close. The ABS kicking in caused noticeable reduction in deceleration. Anyway, fast cars were fast, it was fun to beat on BMW's equipment.

The autox was a short little 17 second course in an M2 that was challenging and fun. Of course there were more than bragging rights on the line, we were in actual competition for a free trip to cali to do some BMW event. HMM...I'm good at autox...
The course timing was BULLSHIT. At the end there was a maybe 1.5 car length stop box to hit. Ok no big deal, but the timer was AT THE START of said box. For all you autox n00bs, this means you need to start braking BEFORE you go through the timer. As an autox veteran, this goes against every. single. fiber. of. your. being.
I had VERY good times. I would have been top 3 if I could have stayed in the fucking box. Also lost some time to the traction control (we were not allowed to turn off). I know this because i was a little less aggressive picking up the throttle on a 'fun' run (ie did not count to competition) and picked up even more time. Anyway, the /M2 is a fantastic machine, great car, autox was fun, but man what a sham. I could have done well :(

Now, the main reason you give BMW 250 doll hairs: beat on someone else's car at the Circuit of the Americas. And not just any car, a fully kitted out ///M car!

I set my expectations low for this as to not be disappointed. All I really wanted to do was get some laps in from drivers eye view of one of the best tracks in the world. There was no need to have low expectations. They basically did Lead/follow with an instructor in groups of 4 cars with the instructor up front. And they you get on it HARD. Limits of grip were explored. There were of course very conservative on the braking zones, but still allowed to carry real speed through the corners themselves. I'd say it was a very sold 9.25/10's of ability and tire grip in terms of corner speed, 8/10's lap times. Put it this way: it was way harder than I run the tail of the dragon. And those of you that know, I haul mail pretty well up there.
In the video you can see how early we braked on the back straight, but it was still 145 indicated. You can also see where I'd have a little lift here and there on corner exit as to not get too crazy with the entry speeds on the next corner.
RE: ///M3/4. What a car. It made you feel like a DRIVING GOD. I mean there was so much grip, control, it made the right noises, ballance was just :mindblown: If I have the money and wanted a track day car... man there is a tool for every job and the ///M3 is one of the best.
RE: COTA. Amazing track. I thought T1-6 would be the highlight, but the Stadium/carrousel complex ended up being more fun for me. Though in an actual race T1 is probably where the men and the boys get sorted. I mean though the carrousel (around the tower) is just one big turn: you point the wheel and steer the car with the throttle through a double apex corner that goes from on camber to off as the track itself falls away :stig:

Anyway, all in all 5/7 experience will absolutely do this again at any track I can drive too. And I might just have to look into TNIA for the :turboyaris:
Last edited by goIftdibrad on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

4zilch wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:13 am I have, on occasion, trolled at track days for my own amusement, or to shutdown some sh*t talking. From a track day in July: I overheard the people pitted next me noting that the "KTM exited the turns like a rocket, but my corner speed was a bit meh" These guys were on a GSXR 1k and new Aprilia Tuono 1100. After hearing this I made sure to follow them out onto the track where I hounded them from behind for a session, knowing full well they could hear my bike. Hounded them again the next session, but passed them with a lap or two left. Then I made sure they didn't catch me on my last.

Often times other riders don't realize someone is "slow" (ok, there's some legit slow people..) because they might be working on a specific corner or technique. I generally approach a day with a specific goal in mind, whether it be braking points, mid-corner speed, throttle transitions, or getting better at one specific corner. Focusing on these improvements may, at times, mean I'm a bit slower at certain points.
See this sounds like me. My first autocross runs with the car were TRASH. OMG. So fucking bad. Now, I'm at the point where one guy who I always aim to beat asked me if "Corvettes were even allowed in CAM". :lol:

But yeah, same mentality. My speed came in stages where there's 3-4 key players that are always at events I go to that are either 1) really fast, or 2) fast and in the same class/car as me that I could compare my progress to.
For me this was 1) Kerry, easily the fastest guy in the south (build S2000)
2) 2013 Orange Camaro SS guy that always is first place in CAM events in Nola
3) 2010 Grand Sport guy that's QUICK, races in AS
4) 2002 Z06 guy that's legit and races in AS.
5) 2013 Boss 302 guy, always right behind SS Camaro guy in times.

So far I've taken small steps at each event and gotten better at them.
First event was fresh, learning to adjust tire pressures.
Next was looking at the leader's youtube videos and realizing how bad I took a couple of 180s.
Next was after a training class where I learned to look ahead.
Next was steering wheel hand placement for control.
Next was looking at slaloms in a new way and tackling them head on.
The new tires, and beating most of the guys on my kill list. Kerry, the S2000 guy, I'll never hit. He's legit and his car is ridiculously tuned. It'll take me 2 years of tweaking and seat time to get within .5s of that guy. 2002 AS guy is REALLY good. He's beating me with 200tw tires but stock tire widths, so he's out driving me (I'm wider front and rear).
Now I'm digging into tuning the suspension. Next will be coilovers and more aggressive camber.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:22 am In the video you can see how early we braked on the back straight, but it was still 145 indicated.
This sentence alone makes me want to sell S2K for more brubs, or something. S2K very fun in corners but goddamn did I want moar powah.
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:22 am I mean though the carrousel (around the tower) is just one big turn: you point the wheel and steer the car with the throttle through a double apex corner that goes from on camber to off as the track itself falls away :stig:
I could. Not. Get. This. Right. I avoided full on frustration, but it just never felt right. Kept wanting to try it over and over. Mostly ended up on too tight a line me thinks.

5/7 write up, would read again. Race Render is crapping out at 3 mins, I think I have to pay them. As soon as I figure that out I'll have vids up with the datas.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah big tracks aren't nearly as much fun without power unless you're racing in a big pack. S2K should be pretty easy to add power to though... certainly easier than making a big car handle like an S2K.