Ask any racer, any real racer...

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:37 am So did you win the race?
Yes.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Finally took the time to break down some video from Grattan as well as this weekend's event at Putnam in Indiana. My lap times have improved significantly from last year.

At Grattan in 2017, my lap times were around 1:37. In 2018, 1:32's all day with traffic, 1:30 flats and a few :29's thrown in when I was able to get a clean track.

Putnam in late 2017, 1:25's and 1:24's. In 2018, 1:22 with traffic, 1:20-flat and a few 1:19's with a clean track.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 am Finally took the time to break down some video from Grattan as well as this weekend's event at Putnam in Indiana. My lap times have improved significantly from last year.

At Grattan in 2017, my lap times were around 1:37. In 2018, 1:32's all day with traffic, 1:30 flats and a few :29's thrown in when I was able to get a clean track.

Putnam in late 2017, 1:25's and 1:24's. In 2018, 1:22 with traffic, 1:20-flat and a few 1:19's with a clean track.
It's all the orange you've added to your pit setup. :lol:

Nice job!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Damn, bikes must be slow in the corners. We ran 1:20 at Grattan in shifter karts with a top speed of 110 at best, probably more like 107.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 am
4zilch wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 am Finally took the time to break down some video from Grattan as well as this weekend's event at Putnam in Indiana. My lap times have improved significantly from last year.

Nice job!
And I couldn't get all of the orange in the same pic. Car, generator, canopy are all orange as well.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 am It's all the orange you've added to your pit setup. Image

Nice job!
And I couldn't get all of the orange in the same pic. Car, generator, canopy are all orange as well.
You definitely can't sell the KTM then, you're too invested in Team Orange...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 am Damn, bikes must be slow in the corners. We ran 1:20 at Grattan in shifter karts with a top speed of 110 at best, probably more like 107.
Cars have greater mechanical grip and generally carry far more corner speed particularly in lower speed corners and change direction quicker. I suspect that a shifter kart would absolutely destroy 95% of motorcycles from T3 all the way through the hairpin.

Additional details from my times:
I'm not the fastest rider and there's still opportunity for improvement
I'm not on slicks - I was approaching grip limits at Grattan with the tires that I ran.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 am
4zilch wrote:
You definitely can't sell the KTM then, you're too invested in Team Orange...
:dat: :lolol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 am

Nice job!
:fuckyeah:
Husbrandon
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: your mom

Figured i would join in again now that we are gearing up for track season.

This was at our last trackday, the stripped out civic and I were in a proper 4-5 lap battle having fun when our ape of a friend Wrecky came through the turn in full opposite lock(Abbey was riding along with him).

Video:

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:34 am Finally got to my first track day of the year with a group of about 60 riders at a private event 3-day at held annually at Grattan Raceway in MI.

I was as comfortable as I’ve ever been KTM. I ran in the intermediate group and came up to speed quickly. By mid-way through the first day, I getting my knee down in places that I had never been able to in prior trips. The bike felt great and I was able to explore corner entry speed and rear tire grip. By the end of the day, I was easily the quickest in the group. Day two was more of the same and as tire wear became an issue, I began to enjoy letting the rear spin up on corner exit.. several other riders noted how much fun I appeared to be having. The experience has me second guessing selling the KTM.

The Honda was also a lot of fun, though I was running into carb issues while at the track. I’m fairly certain main jet is too big and would load up the engine by the end of the 5/8+ Mile straight. When I’d close the throttle to begin braking into turn 1, the bike would begin bogging and cutting out, I even had the bike momentarily stall while leaned over nearly causing me to low-side. After that I didn’t get it out much for fear of crashing in front of someone and ruining both of our days.

When the bike did run well it was a lot of fun. Passing everyone in the corners, getting passed back on the straights, then riding around the outside of everyone in turn 1.

Next trackday is in 2 weeks at Putnam.

ImageImageImageImage
Looking good Billy Ray.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

This has got to be hands down the fastest acceleration I think I've ever seen from on board video of an autocross run. This car is ridiculous. Original 1 owner Shelby Cobra with 800+hp engine. Read the comments of what's in it..
It is an aluminum Shelby block with Blue Thunder heads that have about 40 hours of porting work. The engine is 440 cid with a 3.75" stroke Sonny Briant crank , Carrilo rods with small journals and Wiseco 15 to 1 pistons. Max revs 9300 820 hp at 8200 556 torque at 7500. A very big cam with the best valve springs I could buy. FAST port injection, Wilson 1600 cfm throttle body and Victor jr manifold. Lots of development time on this engine so that we could run a 4.88 gear and still get 67 mph in low, idea was to keep rpm up on slow corners typical of Goodguys but still be able to go 65 mph without shifting. The engine makes over 400 lb/ft at 3000 so it pulls like hell even down there (21 mph) car weighs 2370 and is running 200 tw tires required by rules. Headers are 2 1/8" primaries fuel VP Q16.

And here's the results from that event. https://www.good-guys.com/dmn-ac-18
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

4zilch wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:48 am
dubshow wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:37 am So did you win the race?
Yes.
FKN-A :like: :like: :like:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:48 pm This has got to be hands down the fastest acceleration I think I've ever seen from on board video of an autocross run. This car is ridiculous. Original 1 owner Shelby Cobra with 800+hp engine. Read the comments of what's in it..
It is an aluminum Shelby block with Blue Thunder heads that have about 40 hours of porting work. The engine is 440 cid with a 3.75" stroke Sonny Briant crank , Carrilo rods with small journals and Wiseco 15 to 1 pistons. Max revs 9300 820 hp at 8200 556 torque at 7500. A very big cam with the best valve springs I could buy. FAST port injection, Wilson 1600 cfm throttle body and Victor jr manifold. Lots of development time on this engine so that we could run a 4.88 gear and still get 67 mph in low, idea was to keep rpm up on slow corners typical of Goodguys but still be able to go 65 mph without shifting. The engine makes over 400 lb/ft at 3000 so it pulls like hell even down there (21 mph) car weighs 2370 and is running 200 tw tires required by rules. Headers are 2 1/8" primaries fuel VP Q16.

Bad ass, no question
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:48 pm This has got to be hands down the fastest acceleration I think I've ever seen from on board video of an autocross run. This car is ridiculous. Original 1 owner Shelby Cobra with 800+hp engine. Read the comments of what's in it..

thats fast

that course is irresponsibility dangerous

good guys is just a bunch of old guys in hot rods jerking eachother off for the most part.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Fastest car I've ever been in was an AC Cobra that made 465 at the rear wheels. Holy God. Pinned you in the seat hard. That car was scary though, handling was really iffy on it.
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 pm

thats fast

good guys is just a bunch of old guys in hot rods jerking eachother off for the most part.
Yeah I had to look up what was up with these guys. Looks like they were limited on space for their events. That wall of cones and barrier so damn close to them makes me cringe.
Acid666

4zilch wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:34 am Finally got to my first track day of the year with a group of about 60 riders at a private event 3-day at held annually at Grattan Raceway in MI.

I was as comfortable as I’ve ever been KTM. I ran in the intermediate group and came up to speed quickly. By mid-way through the first day, I getting my knee down in places that I had never been able to in prior trips. The bike felt great and I was able to explore corner entry speed and rear tire grip. By the end of the day, I was easily the quickest in the group. Day two was more of the same and as tire wear became an issue, I began to enjoy letting the rear spin up on corner exit.. several other riders noted how much fun I appeared to be having. The experience has me second guessing selling the KTM.

The Honda was also a lot of fun, though I was running into carb issues while at the track. I’m fairly certain main jet is too big and would load up the engine by the end of the 5/8+ Mile straight. When I’d close the throttle to begin braking into turn 1, the bike would begin bogging and cutting out, I even had the bike momentarily stall while leaned over nearly causing me to low-side. After that I didn’t get it out much for fear of crashing in front of someone and ruining both of our days.

When the bike did run well it was a lot of fun. Passing everyone in the corners, getting passed back on the straights, then riding around the outside of everyone in turn 1.

ImageImageImageImage
The orange on black looks total bad ass. I considered a couple of bikes like that but never pulled the trigger. I'd consider a bad ass supermoto for the streets around here if as opposed to the Vrod, since I'd only really ride in town. Having power on demand on a bike that's agile would be fun.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 pm

thats fast

yeah, thats exactly what I took away from that vid.

And holy hell that car is fast. I had to stop and rewatch I thought some parts were fast forwarded.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm

ImageImageImageImage
The orange on black looks total bad ass. I considered a couple of bikes like that but never pulled the trigger. I'd consider a bad ass supermoto for the streets around here if as opposed to the Vrod, since I'd only really ride in town. Having power on demand on a bike that's agile would be fun.
Orange and black is for sale. It has all of the power on command, and the brakes to match. :doit:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Husbrandon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:38 pm Figured i would join in again now that we are gearing up for track season.

This was at our last trackday, the stripped out civic and I were in a proper 4-5 lap battle having fun when our ape of a friend Wrecky came through the turn in full opposite lock(Abbey was riding along with him).

Video:

Love that pic.
Husbrandon
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: your mom

4zilch wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:58 am

Orange and black is for sale. It has all of the power on command, and the brakes to match. :doit:
:butwhy:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Husbrandon wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:23 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:58 am

Something different, with more cylinders, but still sounds fantastic.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:38 pm
Husbrandon wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:23 am

Something different, with more cylinders, but still sounds fantastic.
I head HD is coming out with some new models :gaydance:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:52 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:51 pm

I head HD is coming out with some new models :gaydance:
:iono:

They don't look horrible.

no, they do not.