Ask any racer, any real racer...

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Barnes93cb wrote:1) what class is a turbo, aftermarket ecu, intake, exhaust, coilover, wheel and tire. 1999 Miata
2) How does one convince a non enthusiastic/ partially hostile to racing wife that me doing a track day isnt a terrible idea?
3) Why is the SCCA southeast website so terrible?
Class at a track day? Novice.

Class at autox? SSM.

Track day classes are based on driver experience, not cars.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 pm
Barnes93cb wrote:1) what class is a turbo, aftermarket ecu, intake, exhaust, coilover, wheel and tire. 1999 Miata
2) How does one convince a non enthusiastic/ partially hostile to racing wife that me doing a track day isnt a terrible idea?
3) Why is the SCCA southeast website so terrible?
Class at a track day? Novice.

Class at autox? SSM.

Track day classes are based on driver experience, not cars.
Yes I meant autox.

I know for a certain id be novice at a trackday. Im sure my hours of forza dont exactly transfer over.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah if it's SCCA autox then your car is SSM. Turbro = racekar.
Barnes93cb

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 pm Yeah if it's SCCA autox then your car is SSM. Turbro = racekar.
Slow racecar. With a terrible driver.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Putnam Park released their schedule today.

Potential for car track day on 8/25 and motorcycle on 8/26 :stig: :math: :troywax:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 pm Yeah if it's SCCA autox then your car is SSM. Turbro = racekar.
weve decided my rabbit is going in SM. dem motor swaps. Also limited to tw200, which I just learned.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Now that SSM allows certain engine swaps, It's a bad time to be in SSM down here in the south with Carl Meaux and his K swapped Miata. He's FTD pretty often. That thing is mean.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

I still have 3 weeks until local rallyx season starts for me since I am not making the event this Saturday. Autox season has started but I am so in :aintcare: mode about that right now.

And I just went down a rabbit hole looking at H2R memberships. :waxer:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:28 pm I still have 3 weeks until local rallyx season starts for me since I am not making the event this Saturday. Autox season has started but I am so in :aintcare: mode about that right now.

Their membership isn’t completely awful. Putnam is 7500 for 3 year commitment + 5000 per year on dues. So all in for 3 years is $22,500 :ludacris:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

If there's some kind of discount for a car and motorcycle membership that'd be a deal maker. I haven't asked.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 am If there's some kind of discount for a car and motorcycle membership that'd be a deal maker. I haven't asked.
so are you selling your roofless blue rackar?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 pm Now that SSM allows certain engine swaps, It's a bad time to be in SSM down here in the south with Carl Meaux and his K swapped Miata. He's FTD pretty often. That thing is mean.
whats impressive is how much faster that guy got. I remember when he first got started. Seat time goes a long way.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 pm Now that SSM allows certain engine swaps, It's a bad time to be in SSM down here in the south with Carl Meaux and his K swapped Miata. He's FTD pretty often. That thing is mean.
also, I thought they had to be same manufacture for motor swaps? No ellis to rule them all basically. Thats what I read for SM. Will got read up on SSM.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:22 pm
stripethree wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:28 pm I still have 3 weeks until local rallyx season starts for me since I am not making the event this Saturday. Autox season has started but I am so in :aintcare: mode about that right now.

Their membership isn’t completely awful. Putnam is 7500 for 3 year commitment + 5000 per year on dues. So all in for 3 years is $22,500 :ludacris:
i mean, if you can roll up to Porsche :dillerman: buy a new gt3 rs flat out. Not bother registering it and tow it to the track.

If the "no plates, race car" lifestyle is for you, $8k per year might be a bargain?
Last edited by dubshow on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

dubshow wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:28 am
stripethree wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 am If there's some kind of discount for a car and motorcycle membership that'd be a deal maker. I haven't asked.
so are you selling your roofless blue rackar?
Nah not yet at least.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:22 pm

i mean, if you can roll up to Porsche :dillerma: buy a new gt3 rs flat out. Not bother registering it and tow it to the track.

If the "no plates, race car" lifestyle is for you, $8k per year might be a bargain?
:dat:

The members are super :waxer: like that.

Edit: also members have the ability to store cars on-site - no towing back and forth needed.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

also. anyone having a good chuckle at just how damn fast the 2019 zr1 is??

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GC ... ve&ssui=on

bested the Ford GT at VIR, for a 1/4 of the price.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 am

i mean, if you can roll up to Porsche :dillerman: buy a new gt3 rs flat out. Not bother registering it and tow it to the track.

Edit: also members have the ability to store cars on-site - no towing back and forth needed.
oh dang. storage is a great thing. that adds value.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Also, the H2R membership has reciprocity at Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson, MSR Houston, and Eagles Canyon Raceway. The first two I haven't run but am familiar with, so, :notbad:.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 am Also, the H2R membership has reciprocity at Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson, MSR Houston, and Eagles Canyon Raceway. The first two I haven't run but am familiar with, so, :notbad:.
MSR is a really fun track.

also, who wants to go drifting?
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/this-h ... ift-kings/
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:11 pm
stripethree wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 am Also, the H2R membership has reciprocity at Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson, MSR Houston, and Eagles Canyon Raceway. The first two I haven't run but am familiar with, so, :notbad:.
MSR is a really fun track.

also, who wants to go drifting?
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/this-h ... ift-kings/
:notbad:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 am
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am

oh dang. storage is a great thing. that adds value.
Putnam is actually a pretty nice facility. Nice garages and grounds keeping. The track layout is a bit meh, but there's no other option nearby. Next closest to me is NCM.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/42208-out- ... -for-speed

http://putnampark.com/the-track-2/garages-2/
Barnes93cb

Looking at track days in the fall. Might see if I can’t get the miata ready for turkey trot at road Atlanta. Or I’ll find a single day at cmp. Should be a bit cheaper and probably easier on the car for my first event if I only do one day.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 pm Looking at track days in the fall. Might see if I can’t get the miata ready for turkey trot at road Atlanta. Or I’ll find a single day at cmp. Should be a bit cheaper and probably easier on the car for my first event if I only do one day.
:iono:

Sometimes 2-days are nice. Learn the car and track on day 1 and day 2 you start the day with your confidence already up and you can start pushing things a bit.

Regardless make sure your shit is right before you get to the track. It’s no fun fixing stuff in the paddock.
Fresh brake fluid, coolant topped up, fresh oils. Plenty of tires and brakes. Torque, and re-torque lugnuts. Make sure you give the car a good flogging before your track day to address any overheat, braking, transmission, etc.
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 pm Looking at track days in the fall. Might see if I can’t get the miata ready for turkey trot at road Atlanta. Or I’ll find a single day at cmp. Should be a bit cheaper and probably easier on the car for my first event if I only do one day.
:iono:

Sometimes 2-days are nice. Learn the car and track on day 1 and day 2 you start the day with your confidence already up and you can start pushing things a bit.

Regardless make sure your shit is right before you get to the track. It’s no fun fixing stuff in the paddock.
Fresh brake fluid, coolant topped up, fresh oils. Plenty of tires and brakes. Torque, and re-torque lugnuts. Make sure you give the car a good flogging before your track day to address any overheat, braking, transmission, etc.
The two days makes sense. Just a lot of stress and more money. A single day is super easy to do.

The car will get a solid check before I actually take it anywhere. I’ll look the car over. And then I’ll take it up the road to have a legitimate shop look over the car and teach me what I should be looking for.