Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

What did I learn today. Listen to your body when it says that you’re cold. My desire to get home outweighed my common sense. What should have been a 7 hour ride took almost 11 due to me being unprepared to ride in the rain. Today I soaked through my riding jacket, vest, three shirts, my jeans, and had boots full of water that I dumped out multiple times. I managed to make it home at 1am. And promptly got under 4 blankets and colder than I have ever been in my life. I should have pulled off hours before for a hotel instead of riding through multiple storms. It was stupid and reckless. I fully regret my decision in this moment. I am so thankful that I made it back without any injury.
Last edited by Barnes93cb on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm What did I learn today. Listen to your body when it says that you’re cold. My desire to get home outweighed my common sense. What should have been a 7 hour ride took almost 11 due to me being unprepared to ride in the rain. Today I soaked through my riding jacket, vest, three shirts, my jeans, and had boots full of water that I dumped out multiple times. I managed to make it home at 1am. And promptly got under 4 blankets and colder than I have ever been in my life. I should have pulled off hours before for a hotel instead of riding through multiple storms. It was stupid and reckless. I fully regret my decision in this moment. I am so thankful that I made it back without and injury.
sounds like you were lucky. next time listen to yourself. Take care.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm What did I learn today. Listen to your body when it says that you’re cold. My desire to get home outweighed my common sense. What should have been a 7 hour ride took almost 11 due to me being unprepared to ride in the rain. Today I soaked through my riding jacket, vest, three shirts, my jeans, and had boots full of water that I dumped out multiple times. I managed to make it home at 1am. And promptly got under 4 blankets and colder than I have ever been in my life. I should have pulled off hours before for a hotel instead of riding through multiple storms. It was stupid and reckless. I fully regret my decision in this moment. I am so thankful that I made it back without and injury.
Yes very lucky. Ill have to plan a bit better for next time.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 am
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

viewtopic.php?p=301417#p301417

:fax: back on 'big' bike.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Got caught in the rain again. This time it was lighter and a short ride. But sadly nothing to waterproof my phone. Its sitting in rice but I think a new phone is on the horizon. FML I needed to back it up.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Barnes93cb wrote:Got caught in the rain again. This time it was lighter and a short ride. But sadly nothing to waterproof my phone. Its sitting in rice but I think a new phone is on the horizon. FML I needed to back it up.
Do you have a weather app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Test rode an Aprilia Tuono 1100 today. The wants are real. Buttery smooth power and fantastic electronics. The up and down quickshifter feels like cheating. Image

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:56 pm Test rode an Aprilia Tuono 1100 today. The wants are real. Buttery smooth power and fantastic electronics. The up and down quickshifter feels like cheating. Image

:doit:

Oh.. Did I mention :doit: ?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:56 pm Test rode an Aprilia Tuono 1100 today. The wants are real. Buttery smooth power and fantastic electronics. The up and down quickshifter feels like cheating. Image

Expanding my thoughts slightly.

Ohlins are better than expected on the road. Stiff, but compliant? Is the way id explain it, sharp edges are rounded off, the suspension compresses, rebounds, and settles. I couldn’t detect a hint of bounciness.

The engine note, even with stock exhaust, is :jizz: Sounds like an F1 car.

Brakes are good, no better or worse than anything with a Brembo MC and monoblocs. This is the norm on euro performance bikes these days. I’d still probably swap the MC and pads to the setup I currently have on the KTM.

Riding position will take some getting used to compared to the KTM. The Aprilia is more committed, pegs higher and further back, bar is lower relative to seat height so there’s more weight on your arms and wrists. Not as committed as a superbike with clipons, but not as relaxed as the KTM...which admittedly I had to do a fair amount of geometry work to get gain some weight and confidence on the front. The Ape riding position seems to be a good balance between comfort and performance.

Niggles, fit and finish is as good as KTM, but Aprilia uses a lot of philips head fasteners in the body work which is annoying. 98% of KTM fasteners are dual drive torx + hex which is ideal. I suspect the Ape is more difficult to work on whereas the KTM was designed with serviceability in mind (dat off-road heritage).

By the way, someone should buy this. https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy ... 34254.html
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:53 pm
Barnes93cb wrote:Got caught in the rain again. This time it was lighter and a short ride. But sadly nothing to waterproof my phone. Its sitting in rice but I think a new phone is on the horizon. FML I needed to back it up.
Do you have a weather app?

Yes I do. And every day it calls for rain in SC. Summer here is like Florida. Expect it to rain and take your chances when you can.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:03 am

Ohlins are better than expected on the road. Stiff, but compliant? Is the way id explain it, sharp edges are rounded off, the suspension compresses, rebounds, and settles. I couldn’t detect a hint of bounciness.

Brakes are good, no better or worse than anything with a Brembo MC and monoblocs. This is the norm on euro performance bikes these days. I’d still probably swap the MC and pads to the setup I currently have on the KTM.

Riding position will take some getting used to compared to the KTM. The Aprilia is more committed, pegs higher and further back, bar is lower relative to seat height so there’s more weight on your arms and wrists. Not as committed as a superbike with clipons, but not as relaxed as the KTM...which admittedly I had to do a fair amount of geometry work to get gain some weight and confidence on the front. The Ape riding position seems to be a good balance between comfort and performance.

Niggles, fit and finish is as good as KTM, but Aprilia uses a lot of philips head fasteners in the body work which is annoying. 98% of KTM fasteners are dual drive torx + hex which is ideal. I suspect the Ape is more difficult to work on whereas the KTM was designed with serviceability in mind (dat off-road heritage).

By the way, someone should buy this. https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy ... 34254.html
Sounds awesome. you gonna :doit: ?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

So, I took my first longish ride on a bike for a quick minute last friday. I got some tightness in my upper back between my shoulder blades. The bars felt a little low. Is this a conditioning thing that will get better as i ride a bit more? should i adjust bars? get bar risers?
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:35 am So, I took my first longish ride on a bike for a quick minute last friday. I got some tightness in my upper back between my shoulder blades. The bars felt a little low. Is this a conditioning thing that will get better as i ride a bit more? should i adjust bars? get bar risers?
You'll likely get used to it, and you could be riding tensed up. I used to have a similar bit of discomfort on my multistrada and it was largely due to me riding tense with a death-grip on the handlebars. So pay attention to that stuff first, make sure your grip is relaxed, elbows bent, etc. After some time you'll figure out what you do or don't like about the bars. Too high, too low, too much or too little pullback, etc, then adjust accordingly.

If you make any adjustments, be patient and give yourself some time to get used to them before making additional changes. I'm hyper picky about bar position and used to go through lots of different bars, positions, and risers with a lot of frustration not being able to find the "right" combination.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:32 am
4zilch wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:03 am

Sounds awesome. you gonna :doit: ?
More than likely. A potential buyer for the KTM reached out to me last night and is gonna come look at it this weekend. Once it sells, it starts opening up options.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:57 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:35 am So, I took my first longish ride on a bike for a quick minute last friday. I got some tightness in my upper back between my shoulder blades. The bars felt a little low. Is this a conditioning thing that will get better as i ride a bit more? should i adjust bars? get bar risers?
You'll likely get used to it, and you could be riding tensed up. I used to have a similar bit of discomfort on my multistrada and it was largely due to me riding tense with a death-grip on the handlebars. So pay attention to that stuff first, make sure your grip is relaxed, elbows bent, etc. After some time you'll figure out what you do or don't like about the bars. Too high, too low, too much or too little pullback, etc, then adjust accordingly.

If you make any adjustments, be patient and give yourself some time to get used to them before making additional changes. I'm hyper picky about bar position and used to go through lots of different bars, positions, and risers with a lot of frustration not being able to find the "right" combination.
Thanks for the feedback.
brain go brrrrrr
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

I've been poking around bike sites and reading about various sportster style bikes as a first bike, if I could get the wife to agree to it, and I'm digging the HD Iron 883. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Also, yes I'm considering used first if at all possible, but haven't ruled out new either. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/m ... n-883.html
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:37 am I've been poking around bike sites and reading about various sportster style bikes as a first bike, if I could get the wife to agree to it, and I'm digging the HD Iron 883. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Also, yes I'm considering used first if at all possible, but haven't ruled out new either. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/m ... n-883.html
Have you taken an MSF basic course? Ever ridden? what kind of riding do you plan to do? Dont forget to budget ~2k for good gear.

Harleys.'....are expensive for what they are. The new honda rebel (300?) will be better in every way for a new rider, and cost half as much new.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:55 am
Devilchrono wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:37 am I've been poking around bike sites and reading about various sportster style bikes as a first bike, if I could get the wife to agree to it, and I'm digging the HD Iron 883. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Also, yes I'm considering used first if at all possible, but haven't ruled out new either. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/m ... n-883.html
Have you taken an MSF basic course? Ever ridden? what kind of riding do you plan to do? Dont forget to budget ~2k for good gear.

Harleys.'....are expensive for what they are. The new honda rebel (300?) will be better in every way for a new rider, and cost half as much new.
Bolded the points I would make here from this post.

Harley's are expensive, but if you really want one, there's a 99% chance a Honda won't make you happy.

I personally would avoid a Sportster just because probably it won't be long before you want something different. The Sportsters only have a 5 speed transmission, so they kinda suck if you get on the freeway. Plus, how tall are you? Most of the Sportsters get small for guys in the 6 foot range.. Even at 5'11" I feel cramped on them. If you really want a Harley I would personally try to spend more (I know it is quite a bit more than the Iron) and get into a new Softail. The new 2018+ Softail bikes have the 107 cubic inch motor and a very nice new frame design that rides WAY, WAY, WAY better than the Sportster or a pre-2018 Softail.

If you haven't really ridden before, grab a used something or other that you won't care too much about to get some miles on, then buy the bike you really want in a year. You might not like riding as much as you think if you have little/no experience and this will save you some money.
Barnes93cb

Do not waste your money on an 883. The sportster will be a decent starter bike for most. And some stick on the bike.

But the 883 is too small for regular use. I suggest getting a sportster 1200 if your heart is set on that bike. But honestly I would recommend going to a larger bike. Maybe a used dyna of some sort. There are so many options that you will be hard pressed to outgrow in 3 months. But I can assure you an 883 will get boring quick.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That's a cool looking bike.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:06 pm

sounds even better :doe:

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:55 am

You'll get no shortage of opinions around here on what is and isn't a good first bike.

But to :fax: 's questions, have you ridden, what kind of riding do you want to do, what experience do you have with motorcycles? Budget for gear, absolutely, you could probably get by with $1000 pretty well.

If you're inexperienced, sign up for an MSF course. Go to dealers, sit on bikes, see what you like. I'd shy away from new bikes, go cheap and see if you're even going to like riding and upgrade from there. Buying a used $2000 ninja 250 that you can't resell a few months later for $2000 is a good way to go.

PS, you'll probably tip over at some point, so buying something pre-crashed isn't necessarily a bad thing starting out.

PPS, I followed none of my own advise starting out and lived to tell the tail.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:33 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:06 pm

sounds even better :doe:

yea that makes an acceptable noise.
brain go brrrrrr
coogles