Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 pm :melon: & :fax: day 1 in the books
:nice:

I love those KTM Adventure bikes.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Day 2 & 3

Old man river is still so, so high so we ran into lots of closed roads on our planned route

Tired to ride the bank to get bast this little one...
Failed. lived to ride on doe

Made it to rodney just to find that the river had flooded it out...maybe thats why its abandoned...

Trip selfie

Went to splashpad with the kiddo sunday
brain go brrrrrr
jackfrank
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: motorcycle

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:34 pm Harley Davidson riders course. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice pic. I think the riding course is one of the best ways to learn everything about traffic rule, safety, and signals, etc. The full package is learning are there, and it's also helpful for further life of riding.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

jackfrank wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:29 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:34 pm Harley Davidson riders course. Image

Nice pic. I think the riding course is one of the best ways to learn everything about traffic rule, safety, and signals, etc. The full package is learning are there, and it's also helpful for further life of riding.
As someone who walked into the class with zero riding experience of any sort. It was a great course to teach the foundations and also provide a safe environment.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:41 pm

As someone who walked into the class with zero riding experience of any sort. It was a great course to teach the foundations and also provide a safe environment.
Did they teach you to ride with earplugs :pftch:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I spent 3 days last week at an annual track gathering at Grattan Raceway. It was an amazing time as always - track days are always more fun when you know all of the guys and girls riding around you.

The 400 was an absolute gem as was the Tuono (other than a body panel flying off at speed). Couldn’t have been happier with how either bike performed.

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex

:jelly: Was following with Sno’s IG posts. Looks like you had a blast!

Also, yellow shield? Looking for that high-contrast vision?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:36 pm :jelly: Was following with Sno’s IG posts. Looks like you had a blast!

Yeah, I didn’t really plan on wearing the shield all week. I normally wear a tinted shield.

Originally put it on when it was cloudy, and in the morning session to better transition in and out of shadows. Ultimately ended wearing it the entire time - the bright of day didn’t bother me, and as you suggested, I felt like I could see details better.

Edit: and being able to see eyeballs makes for great pics.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex

4zilch wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:43 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:36 pm :jelly: Was following with Sno’s IG posts. Looks like you had a blast!

Yeah, I didn’t really plan on wearing the shield all week. I normally wear a tinted shield.

Originally put it on when it was cloudy, and in the morning session to better transition in and out of shadows. Ultimately ended wearing it the entire time - the bright of day didn’t bother me, and as you suggested, I felt like I could see details better.

It does make for cool pics!

Cool that it worked out well for you.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Great pics man, looks like a great time.

Yellow tint increases the contrast range for human vision, its science. My sunglasses are tinted yellow.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10701805
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:01 am

Great pics man, looks like a great time.

Yellow tint increases the contrast range for human vision, its science. My sunglasses are tinted yellow.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10701805
:fax: delivering teh fax
jackfrank
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: motorcycle

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:41 pm

Nice to hear something more about the course. Thanks for zero to hero.
Barnes93cb

Awesome pics. Makes me want a street bike more and more.
Barnes93cb

Question bike people.

My bolt gets some significant wobble if I take my hands off the bars. Now this isn’t really an issue since I keep my hands on the bars. But I know this isn’t right.

Reading online leads me to triple tree bearings. Is there a generic website you use for parts? I don’t have a Yamaha dealership within 150 miles.

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:39 pm Question bike people.

My bolt gets some significant wobble if I take my hands off the bars. Now this isn’t really an issue since I keep my hands on the bars. But I know this isn’t right.

Reading online leads me to triple tree bearings. Is there a generic website you use for parts? I don’t have a Yamaha dealership within 150 miles.

Have you checked the front tire for odd wear?

Years ago I had an alignment issue of the rear tire that caused weird wear on the front tire and shake when I went hands free or at speed.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Along with Waxer's comment, steering head bearings are a common cause. If they're tapered roller bearings, they might just need to be snugged up vs. replacing them.
Barnes93cb

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 pm

Have you checked the front tire for odd wear?

Years ago I had an alignment issue of the rear tire that caused weird wear on the front tire and shake when I went hands free or at speed.
No unusual wear. But pretty common to the Bolt apparently. Found hundreds of posts online about it.
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:06 am

Along with Waxer's comment, steering head bearings are a common cause. If they're tapered roller bearings, they might just need to be snugged up vs. replacing them.
They are not tapered. But apparently buying tapered is the fix. I ordered some. Its solid maintenance anyway. The bike is 5 years old and could use some love.
Barnes93cb

No need to worry about fixing the bearings on my bike at the moment. I decided I was going to lay it down wednesday night.

Bike is fixable for probably less than my deductable, gear is almost mint condition still, ill get new gloves and a helmet. 20mph slide wasnt too bad. Im sore but otherwise alright. Just frustrated.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am No need to worry about fixing the bearings on my bike at the moment. I decided I was going to lay it down wednesday night.

Bike is fixable for probably less than my deductable, gear is almost mint condition still, ill get new gloves and a helmet. 20mph slide wasnt too bad. Im sore but otherwise alright. Just frustrated.
Dang, glad you’re ok. What happened?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am No need to worry about fixing the bearings on my bike at the moment. I decided I was going to lay it down wednesday night.

Why did you crash.....glad you ok
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote:

Cutting a corner sharp into my neighborhood. Hit some bumps mid turn and my foot peg caught in between layers of pavement/ concrete.

If they would actually repave correctly instead of laying gravel and tar on top I would have probably been fine. Or if I hadn’t been a jackass and gone slower/upright.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:13 pm
4zilch wrote:
Cutting a corner sharp into my neighborhood. Hit some bumps mid turn and my foot peg caught in between layers of pavement/ concrete.

If they would actually repave correctly instead of laying gravel and tar on top I would have probably been fine. Or if I hadn’t been a jackass and gone slower/upright.

Glad you're ok, :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote:

Dang man. Glad you're alright.

Pro tip - don't do that.
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:12 am

Dang man. Glad you're alright.

Pro tip - don't do that.
Not bad advice. I guess if I want to do sport bike things I should buy a sports bike. Leaning on a cruiser is almost automatic peg scraping.