Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:48 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:34 pm Looks like a fun bike! Snipped levers might bug me. Ill keep looking until i find something that i like. Definitely want a shorty lever. I googled work connection levers... its like 180 for a clutch lever alone. That’s like putting volks on a nissan 240. Whip cream on top of shit.
Cut 'em with a hacksaw and file to smooth out the ends. I can't bring myself to spend that kinda coin on levers for any of my bikes.
I agree with you there, bud. Although my xr was a cheap bike to teach me how to ride on dirt I’ve gotten kind of attached to it. Its like a tacoma. Keep oil in it and it’ll run. I’ve already upgraded and replaced tons of shit.
Oil cooler, regeared for the highway, trail tech vapor, hand guards, big gas tank, tail bag, 450x fromt fender (stock one waves in the wind and steers the bike), ricky stator and battery kit, LED headlight and tail light, suspension revalved and resprung by Precision Concepts for my 180# skinny fatass.
I’m willing to replace some odds and ends that are legitimately worn out. I do dig the ARC levers though.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

NeonJonny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:08 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:48 pm

Cut 'em with a hacksaw and file to smooth out the ends. I can't bring myself to spend that kinda coin on levers for any of my bikes.
I agree with you there, bud. Although my xr was a cheap bike to teach me how to ride on dirt I’ve gotten kind of attached to it. Its like a tacoma. Keep oil in it and it’ll run. I’ve already upgraded and replaced tons of shit.
Oil cooler, regeared for the highway, trail tech vapor, hand guards, big gas tank, tail bag, 450x fromt fender (stock one waves in the wind and steers the bike), ricky stator and battery kit, LED headlight and tail light, suspension revalved and resprung by Precision Concepts for my 180# skinny fatass.
I’m willing to replace some odds and ends that are legitimately worn out. I do dig the ARC levers though.
:dat: Honda reliability

Good call on the Precision Concepts suspension - they know their shit when it comes to the XR platforms.

I haven't done much to my bike since purchased. It was already geared up w/ sumo :ramz: when I bought it. I put on a new front rotor after the cheap EBC sumo rotor warped after 1 track day, installed the Mikuni pumper (TM40) that came with the bike, and serviced the suspension.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep it. The 400 is going to keep me busy enough. If I do end up keeping it, I'll have the suspension re-sprung and revalved - It's still stock AFAIK - It's like riding a seesaw on the track and is downright tiring.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

NeonJonny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 pm Aprilia like bmw trying to solve problems that were never problems in the first place.
I dunno, tell Ducati riders this.

Neutral is next to impossible to find when the bike is running on my Monster. Either it always goes to 2nd, or the thing won't come out of 1st when stopped and the engine is running without feeling like I'm going to break my toe.

On this config I would welcome N at the bottom.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 am
NeonJonny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 pm Aprilia like bmw trying to solve problems that were never problems in the first place.

Neutral is next to impossible to find when the bike is running on my Monster. Either it always goes to 2nd, or the thing won't come out of 1st when stopped and the engine is running without feeling like I'm going to break my toe.

I had this problem on my Multistrada until I got about 700-800 miles on it. When it was brand new, it was a serious pain in the ass, but was fine once it was broken in.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:00 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:58 am

I had this problem on my Multistrada until I got about 700-800 miles on it. When it was brand new, it was a serious pain in the ass, but was fine once it was broken in.
I've only got about 1200 miles on mine due to having too many vehicles, but it shows no signs of getting better. My salesbro at the dealer has a 1200R like mine and said with 10k miles it's still a PITA on his and considered "normal"
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:16 am

I've only got about 1200 miles on mine due to having too many vehicles, but it shows no signs of getting better. My salesbro at the dealer has a 1200R like mine and said with 10k miles it's still a PITA on his and considered "normal"
:word:

That would suck
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 am
NeonJonny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:08 am

Good call on the Precision Concepts suspension - they know their shit when it comes to the XR platforms.

I haven't done much to my bike since purchased. It was already geared up w/ sumo :ramz: when I bought it. I put on a new front rotor after the cheap EBC sumo rotor warped after 1 track day, installed the Mikuni pumper (TM40) that came with the bike, and serviced the suspension.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep it. The 400 is going to keep me busy enough. If I do end up keeping it, I'll have the suspension re-sprung and revalved - It's still stock AFAIK - It's like riding a seesaw on the track and is downright tiring.
You have a 400 and a 650r?
Yeah my rear shock piston was cracked dude. The bike is a totally different. It isnt a hopeless mess! The rear end feels like it has traction control now. The front end is a little stiff believe it or not. Thank god i didn’t listen to the internet or it would have been worse. Everyone and race tech suggested .44 springs. Precision talked me out of it and threw a .42 in it and it still feels a tad stiff.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:01 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 am

You have a 400 and a 650r?
Yeah my rear shock piston was cracked dude. The bike is a totally different. It isnt a hopeless mess! The rear end feels like it has traction control now. The front end is a little stiff believe it or not. Thank god i didn’t listen to the internet or it would have been worse. Everyone and race tech suggested .44 springs. Precision talked me out of it and threw a .42 in it and it still feels a tad stiff.
Right now I've got an Aprilia Tuono 1100, Honda RVF400, and the 650r.

My experience with Racetech has been similar - I feel that they over-spring their suspension, and you can achieve similar results with their gold valve by drilling out the stock valve. The magic with most suspension tuners is in the shim stack.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

DTHTMV
DTHTMG
DTHTMK
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:58 pm

DTHTMV
DTHTMG
DTHTMK
:hue:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

DTHTMV
DTHTMG
DTHTMK
:wat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 pm

DTHTMV
DTHTMG
DTHTMK
You'll figure it out Ron. A quick acronym list for Waxer's collecting foibles.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

wap wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 pm

DTHTMV
DTHTMG
DTHTMK
No idea grand fappy.

Im lost too.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Vehicles
Guns
Knives

C'mon guys.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:10 pm Vehicles
Guns
Knives

C'mon guys.
Sorry man. Im on this website like 3 days a month max.
wap

Guns
Knives

C'mon guys.
I JUST got it now.DueToHavingTooMany...
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 pm
Guns
Knives

C'mon guys.
There, there olde timer.... Its okay.... we specialize in this sort of thing......

TT I didnt get it either :disappoint:
wap

Irish wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm
wap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 pm

There, there olde timer.... Its okay.... we specialize in this sort of thing......

:lolol:

I also don't know what "TT" means.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:10 pm
Irish wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm

True Talk

I may be old but I am HIP to the lingo...... Ouch, my HIP!!!!
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Irish wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:13 pm

True Talk

I have to google shit all the time. Swerve! Durst! OOF! Fam! :dislike:
Put 100 miles on the xr between yesterday and today. :like:
wap

True Talk

I can relate......to the hip thing.
wap

NeonJonny wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 pm

True Talk

I have to google shit all the time. Swerve! Durst! OOF! Fam! :dislike:
Put 100 miles on the xr between yesterday and today. :like:
I tried Googling TT and just got hits on some song and software something or another.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Its Thumper Talk, man. Aka the other ADV rider message board.....
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Was debating leaving the guards off but I've already been in BFE before with no clutch lever. No thanks. Cables are fine with my RC high bars and 2'' risers. It turns out the bars I had on the bike were almost identical. Oh well. The Bead buddy didn't work for me. I was able to just be careful with 2 spoons. Rocking another Trackmaster 760. Got over 1500 miles on the last one somehow. :shock:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

ugh i want to go ride my mooterbikeeeeee
brain go brrrrrr