Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:20 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am

All matters of personal opinion.
That.

My RK Special was only slightly more expensive than my Ducati, but is so much more functional. Both have there places and neither are crap, IMO. If I could only own one, I know I wouldn't be selling the Harley.
I would love the sporty bike. But I am just not sure that I could carry everything in a backpack and be comfortable. I need some seriously large bags to fit combat boots.

Ive got a few months to think before I get back stateside. Plus I will have a little time on the bolt to determine what I really want. Shop around a bit and see what the market has to offer.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am

All matters of personal opinion.
That.

My RK Special was only slightly more expensive than my Ducati, but is so much more functional. Both have there places and neither are crap, IMO. If I could only own one, I know I wouldn't be selling the Harley.
:triggered:

:wrong:

but hey, your money, your choice. Im happy you enjoy it. I honestly, admittedly, have very little time on any Harley models.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:29 am

That.

I would love the sporty bike. But I am just not sure that I could carry everything in a backpack and be comfortable. I need some seriously large bags to fit combat boots.

Ive got a few months to think before I get back stateside. Plus I will have a little time on the bolt to determine what I really want. Shop around a bit and see what the market has to offer.
I haven't wanted to wear a backpack since Jr. High when I couldn't drive and it was the only option. Today I have a few for camera gear, only because there are no better options for lots of gear. I for sure don't want to ride with a backpack.
Barnes93cb

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:58 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:29 am

I haven't wanted to wear a backpack since Jr. High when I couldn't drive and it was the only option. Today I have a few for camera gear, only because there are no better options for lots of gear. I for sure don't want to ride with a backpack.
Its pretty uncomfortable as it pulls on your back.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I will likely be taking over the fj09. Seems right up my ally and priced right. ~$5k.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pui ... -2015-2017

Would be adding that because the wind noise to helmet is nearly unbearable.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:46 pm I will likely be taking over the fj09. Seems right up my ally and priced right. ~$5k.

Good buy at 5k.

Can't comment on wind noise piece. It's been a manageable issue with or without a windshield for me.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:46 pm I will likely be taking over the fj09. Seems right up my ally and priced right. ~$5k.

Good buy at 5k.

Can't comment on wind noise piece. It's been a manageable issue with or without a windshield for me.
its actually just the stock windscreen. It DUMPS all the wind right in your face. Wind noise on screenless bikes isnt even that bad. This deflector actually makes it way worse.

Also, while reading the online manual of features, I found this one has 15cm of adjustment up and down! Will adjust it after work today for ride home!
Barnes93cb

Yes I know I want a harley. I know its not a performance bike.

But holy hell. I can buy a 2015 FZ07 with aftermarket parts for 6k. I cant buy a single 2015 harley of any kind for 6k.

Is there an actual reason why theyre so expensive? Is it the additional parts the bike requires? I know theyre not technologically advanced as for the powertrain. Does the infotainment center cost that much? What is it that drives the price of such a slow bike up? Their opposition seems to be pulling away slowly.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:31 am Yes I know I want a harley. I know its not a performance bike.

But holy hell. I can buy a 2015 FZ07 with aftermarket parts for 6k. I cant buy a single 2015 harley of any kind for 6k.

Is there an actual reason why theyre so expensive? Is it the additional parts the bike requires? I know theyre not technologically advanced as for the powertrain. Does the infotainment center cost that much? What is it that drives the price of such a slow bike up? Their opposition seems to be pulling away slowly.
Dat Harley tax.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:31 am Yes I know I want a harley. I know its not a performance bike.

They use double the amount of raw materials.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

You're buying the following with a Harley:

1: An American brand / icon.
2: A luxury brand.
3: A lifestyle / family / club membership.

Of it's actual competition, it is fairly priced against Indian. Being an American brand that is not quite so mass produced is going to cost more than a Japanese bike.

It's kind of like this.... Buying a Harley is like buying a Lexus when you could just buy a Camry, or an Infiniti instead of a Nissan Maxima, or a GMC Denali instead of a Chevy Silverado, or a Ducati over a Suzuki.

People will scoff at the lifestyle/club/family comment but I can tell you that it is no bullshit. If you own a Harley that is not a VRod other HD owners treat you differently and there is a very cool vibe coming from those people, and from dealerships.

This last year since getting the Harley I have been to about 30 dealers around the US to buy small things like the poker chips with the dealer name on them, or a shirt. Every one of the dealerships has been extremely cool with us and when they find out I own a bike and I'm not just buying merch they open up and start talking about bikes and events. I've NEVER had that experience while owning multiple GSXRs and multiple R1s. Even other customers at the dealerships have been nice and started up conversations while looking at bikes on the sales floor. At Suzuki dealers most customers just want you out of their way and give you a dirty look instead of talking about what they think.

If you're at all interested in being part of a group of enthusiasts, I don't think Harley can really be beat. My Ducati experience is similar, but on a much, much smaller scale.

I think it really boils down to this... If you know you want a Harley you will buy one, the question is will you buy it now, or after you buy other brands only to sell them and buy a Harley later.

I always wanted a Harley in the back of my mind, but was into the sport bikes and thought I wouldn't like the "slow bike". The thing it's, they don't really feel slow since the big twins make up to double the torque of many "fast bikes". The first time I rode a Harley the torque was gut wrenching and made me feel giddy. Something none of my sport bikes ever did so well.
Barnes93cb

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:02 am

Of it's actual competition, it is fairly priced against Indian. Being an American brand that is not quite so mass produced is going to cost more than a Japanese bike.

It's kind of like this.... Buying a Harley is like buying a Lexus when you could just buy a Camry, or an Infiniti instead of a Nissan Maxima, or a GMC Denali instead of a Chevy Silverado, or a Ducati over a Suzuki.

People will scoff at the lifestyle/club/family comment but I can tell you that it is no bullshit. If you own a Harley that is not a VRod other HD owners treat you differently and there is a very cool vibe coming from those people, and from dealerships.

This last year since getting the Harley I have been to about 30 dealers around the US to buy small things like the poker chips with the dealer name on them, or a shirt. Every one of the dealerships has been extremely cool with us and when they find out I own a bike and I'm not just buying merch they open up and start talking about bikes and events. I've NEVER had that experience while owning multiple GSXRs and multiple R1s. Even other customers at the dealerships have been nice and started up conversations while looking at bikes on the sales floor. At Suzuki dealers most customers just want you out of their way and give you a dirty look instead of talking about what they think.

If you're at all interested in being part of a group of enthusiasts, I don't think Harley can really be beat. My Ducati experience is similar, but on a much, much smaller scale.

I think it really boils down to this... If you know you want a Harley you will buy one, the question is will you buy it now, or after you buy other brands only to sell them and buy a Harley later.

I always wanted a Harley in the back of my mind, but was into the sport bikes and thought I wouldn't like the "slow bike". The thing it's, they don't really feel slow since the big twins make up to double the torque of many "fast bikes". The first time I rode a Harley the torque was gut wrenching and made me feel giddy. Something none of my sport bikes ever did so well.
I fully believe this. I’ve been on a few steeet glides now. And they’re pretty solid for the 96ci. I think for my price range I’m just outside of getting a 103.

At this point a 96 is still going to be faster than my 950cc bolt.

I do like the idea of the club. Just not sure how involved I’ll be. I want the Harley. But I also want the performance in not just speed but the handling of something more sports oriented.

At the end of the day I need to decide my budget and what I really want.

Do I want bags and comfort. Or do I want performance.

Do I want to spend 6k or 12k.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 am

I fully believe this. I’ve been on a few steeet glides now. And they’re pretty solid for the 96ci. I think for my price range I’m just outside of getting a 103.

I do like the idea of the club. Just not sure how involved I’ll be. I want the Harley. But I also want the performance in not just speed but the handling of something more sports oriented.

Those are the right questions to ask. Also, that dilemma is why I have two bikes in the garage, which I am grateful to be able to do at this point in my life.

Hope you can decide, I think you've still got a bit of time before you come home, right?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

All good points raised by :waxer: if you want to be a part of something, the answer is Harley, and to a lesser extent Ducati.

As much as I like to rag on Harleys, my complaints are mostly with their owners. The bikes are very good at doing what they’re designed for. Paint quality and fit/finish is the best in the business by a long ways compared to anyone else.
Barnes93cb

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57 am

Those are the right questions to ask. Also, that dilemma is why I have two bikes in the garage, which I am grateful to be able to do at this point in my life.

Hope you can decide, I think you've still got a bit of time before you come home, right?
Yeah I have about three months left. And I’m sure I won’t be buying right away. I still need to repair the bike from the last time my ex wrecked it.

Oh yeah I also need to test ride something sporty to see if I really want it.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:14 am :bagger:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diavel-Strada/ ... ov&vxp=mtr
Those bags look like they will hold just about nothing. Theyre tiny.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:19 pm
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:14 am :bagger:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diavel-Strada/ ... ov&vxp=mtr
Those bags look like they will hold just about nothing. Theyre tiny.
Add a top case :iono:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Kinda want. 6k miles and 2700 dollhairs.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 pm Kinda want. 6k miles and 2700 dollhairs.Image

:butwhy:

I dont see the appeal to these older bikes. I find them to be significantly less attractive. And I would assume the performance is also lacking compared to a modern bike.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:31 am
4zilch wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 pm Kinda want. 6k miles and 2700 dollhairs.Image

I dont see the appeal to these older bikes. I find them to be significantly less attractive. And I would assume the performance is also lacking compared to a modern bike.
Beauty is subjective. I find most of the 80s and early 90s sport bikes attractive.

A lot of these older bikes, particularly from Honda, have a “feel” that most new bikes don’t have. Feedback = fun. And it has a V4, there’s nothing to hate about a v4.
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:45 am

Beauty is subjective. I find most of the 80s and early 90s sport bikes attractive.

A lot of these older bikes, particularly from Honda, have a “feel” that most new bikes don’t have. Feedback = fun. And it has a V4, there’s nothing to hate about a v4.
Makes sense. I guess there are people who dont like old cars that I like. I can understand the feel of an older vehicle. I love the feedback my miata has vs the GTI.

No idea on a V4 bike. I hear about them all the time. But my experience is with cruisers.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

This is so true, for me.

I got into bikes in the late 80's, buying a 1989 GSXR 750 as my first street legal motorcycle. A friend had a 1986 GSXR750 and I loved that bike too. If I had the space and time to find them, I would love to have like-new showroom stock examples of these bikes today. The air cooled GSXR's had a lot of character that you don't find on the newer bikes. The new ones may have more power, but the old ones were much more raw and exciting to me.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:dat:

retro is bestro.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

4zilch wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 pm Kinda want. 6k miles and 2700 dollhairs.
Spotted one of these on the street during MotoGP and a couple times in the days after. Not my cup of tea looks-wise, but I get it. I have a much softer spot for 70s era Hondas.