Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:16 am almost brought a tear to my eye.
Former .governer of Indiana. Miss that guy.
:wrong:

Pence saved y'all from that reckless libtard.

I still love the idea of a bike, too bad it didn't really work for me.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:28 am
4zilch wrote:
Former .governer of Indiana. Miss that guy.
:wrong:

ITT Troy takes up mini moto racing
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:38 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:28 am :wrong:

ITT Troy takes up mini moto racing
:koolaid:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I'm really considering a Ducati Diavel now.

I would appreciate something a bit sportier than my cruiser and more comfortable than a street bike. Additionally the used market is pretty affordable in comparison to a street glide.

Pros, cons, competitors?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:05 am I'm really considering a Ducati Diavel now.

I would appreciate something a bit sportier than my cruiser and more comfortable than a street bike. Additionally the used market is pretty affordable in comparison to a street glide.

Pros, cons, competitors?
oh, :hai: barnsey

competetors? I mean pretty much all the big guys have some type of sport tourer competitor.

Honda has ctx700, and ctx 1300? I know yamaha makes one too.

re: ducatti diavel :doit: #anythingbutharley
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:05 am I'm really considering a Ducati Diavel now.

Pros, cons, competitors?
oh, :hai: barnsey

competetors? I mean pretty much all the big guys have some type of sport tourer competitor.

Honda has ctx700, and ctx 1300? I know yamaha makes one too.

re: ducatti diavel :doit: #anythingbutharley
I'm not a brand person by any means. Just looking for something comfortable and fun to ride.

Yamaha does have the vstrom. But it weighs a bit more, much larger engine(fuel economy and insurance costs) and doesn't perform to the level of the diavel.

Didn't know Honda had a competitor. Just looked it up. Not really a fan.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:00 am https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 37b0f14cf2

Good, positive editorial. The same could be said about car enthusiasts in random corners of the interwebs.
:like:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Pros, cons, competitors?
There's nothing else really like the Diavel on the market. Good ground clearance, good engine, great brakes, suspension etc. Not much on passenger comfort. In terms of riding position, I find it quite comfortable with a low seat and the pegs underneath you. The reach to the bars could be a bit closer for my preference. Go sit on one, or better yet take one for a spin. Ducati dealers are generally good about demo rides. Used Diavels are significantly cheaper than a street glide, the only downside is the lack of bags, but there's aftermarket solutions available.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Pros, cons, competitors?
Used Diavels are significantly cheaper than a street glide, the only downside is the lack of bags, but there's aftermarket solutions available.
:dat:

they can be a great value bike. Esp buying a dealerman demo model.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:doit:

You wont.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:51 pm

You wont.
im more curious on the discomfort. But If I even go there I will get 2 years of phone calls.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:52 pm

You wont.
im more curious on the discomfort. But If I even go there I will get 2 years of phone calls.
Go sit on one? No need to fill out any forms or provide your contact info.
Barnes93cb

Pros, cons, competitors?
There's nothing else really like the Diavel on the market. Good ground clearance, good engine, great brakes, suspension etc. Not much on passenger comfort. In terms of riding position, I find it quite comfortable with a low seat and the pegs underneath you. The reach to the bars could be a bit closer for my preference. Go sit on one, or better yet take one for a spin. Ducati dealers are generally good about demo rides. Used Diavels are significantly cheaper than a street glide, the only downside is the lack of bags, but there's aftermarket solutions available.
Sounds pretty great. Im also not too concerned about a passenger. I have yet to have one in the two years ive been riding. And im currently single. I have a car if I need to take passengers. My bolt doesnt even have a passenger seat.

Ill have to see if I cant try one out in a few months. The nearest Diavel is 200 miles away from me and the car still needs some work before I drive four hours.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Sounds pretty great. Im also not too concerned about a passenger. I have yet to have one in the two years ive been riding. And im currently single. I have a car if I need to take passengers. My bolt doesnt even have a passenger seat.

Ill have to see if I cant try one out in a few months. The nearest Diavel is 200 miles away from me and the car still needs some work before I drive four hours.
:word: Where are you at again?
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:53 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:41 pm

:word: Where are you at again?
San Angelo, TX

Middle of BFE.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

You wont.
Give them Zilch's number.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Give them Zilch's number.
:iswydt:

:notbad:
Barnes93cb

Differences between the FZ07 and the Diavel?

FZ07 should be cheaper to insure and maintain if I had to guess. Smaller engine and yamaha vs Italian bike.
FX07 will have a significantly lower performance capability. Although it should still be much more enjoyable than my Bolt. I dont think I will need to exceed the 130mph limit on the FZ07.

Both bikes should be fairly comfortable. Both have more upright seating positions than their super bike counterparts. They have higher clearance than my bolt so I should be able to lean more and really enjoy some turns.

Of course I will need to test ride both and see what suits my fancy. But the price point of a FZ07 is even nicer than the Diavel vs HD SG.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 am Differences between the FZ07 and the Diavel?

FZ07 should be cheaper to insure and maintain if I had to guess. Smaller engine and yamaha vs Italian bike.
FX07 will have a significantly lower performance capability. Although it should still be much more enjoyable than my Bolt. I dont think I will need to exceed the 130mph limit on the FZ07.

Both bikes should be fairly comfortable. Both have more upright seating positions than their super bike counterparts. They have higher clearance than my bolt so I should be able to lean more and really enjoy some turns.

Of course I will need to test ride both and see what suits my fancy. But the price point of a FZ07 is even nicer than the Diavel vs HD SG.
Those are wildly different bikes, in both type/style, performance and cost.

The FZ07 is fantastic. And the new MT model is even cooler. The Diavel is an actual performance cruiser. The yamaha comparison is that big fat Vmax. Which is right in line with pricing.

Straight line, the Diavel is faster but I'd put money anyone with any skill could easily hustle the FZ/MT around the street/corner/track than a Vmax OR Diavel.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Id buy the new MT 07 in a heart beat if I had a spare $7k and a wife that wouldnt yell at me.

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Dang, both those models dropped 6 YEARS ago..

The vmax is fast man.
Barnes93cb

dubshow wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:47 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 am Differences between the FZ07 and the Diavel?

The FZ07 is fantastic. And the new MT model is even cooler. The Diavel is an actual performance cruiser. The yamaha comparison is that big fat Vmax. Which is right in line with pricing.

Straight line, the Diavel is faster but I'd put money anyone with any skill could easily hustle the FZ/MT around the street/corner/track than a Vmax OR Diavel.
Tracking the bikes are much different. Just trying to look at all my options for something a bit more sporty and should still be comfortable.
Im not interested in the Vmax for the diavel competitor. Not a fan of the bike.

Not super worried about straight line. I dont really drag race much and have yet to even top out the short gearing on the miata. At this moment im looking at costs, maintenance, insurance, and driveability.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:47 am

Tracking the bikes are much different. Just trying to look at all my options for something a bit more sporty and should still be comfortable.

Not super worried about straight line. I dont really drag race much and have yet to even top out the short gearing on the miata. At this moment im looking at costs, maintenance, insurance, and driveability.
fz07 is way cheaper in all of those. Also, if it handles on a track, that translates to is easy to ride and lighter/nimbler in day to day. Moving a big heavy bike around is a PITA.
Barnes93cb

dubshow wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 am

fz07 is way cheaper in all of those. Also, if it handles on a track, that translates to is easy to ride and lighter/nimbler in day to day. Moving a big heavy bike around is a PITA.
I ride a 600lb cruiser. Tell me more.

Thats what im thinking about cheaper. I lean towards the cost effectiveness of the FZ. But the looks of the Diavel are pretty impressive.