Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Really? I never would have thought.
When searching dont forget to try to search it both ways....i found my bike cheap cuz he listed it as XR 600. Not xr600r. If not, do you even CL bro?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Where do you look for these? None on crangslist that I can find, and a few on cycletrader but they're newer ones and expensive.
Hmm. Might try Facebook market place, it seems to be becoming more popular than crangslist
sadly it has taken over. It isnt the worst platform. Other bro types are using "let go" in our area.

crangslist is all but dead.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:50 pm

Hmm. Might try Facebook market place, it seems to be becoming more popular than crangslist
sadly it has taken over. It isnt the worst platform. Other bro types are using "let go" in our area.

I'm fine with crangslist dying. It needed better logic/analytics, and the ability to search by distance and/or multiple cities. Facebook, while not perfect, does those things + added ability to directly chat with an individual via messenger.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 am

I'm fine with crangslist dying. It needed better logic/analytics, and the ability to search by distance and/or multiple cities. Facebook, while not perfect, does those things + added ability to directly chat with an individual via messenger.
I dislike facebook because the radius is too small. However CL lets me select 14 cities if I so choose.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Do you not searchtempest?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Barnes93cb wrote:

I dislike facebook because the radius is too small. However CL lets me select 14 cities if I so choose.
:dat:

100 mile radius is useless unless you live in NYC and don't have a car or something. I'm usually willing to drive a few hundred miles or more depending on the item.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Crangslist has been getting a bit better but yeah there are a ton of clickbait keyword riddled posts. Seems to be mostly R-title shit anymore on the car end.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Appears FB marketplace is the way to go. Lots of listings.

$3800. Still too much I guess but pretty bike.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 am
Barnes93cb wrote:

100 mile radius is useless unless you live in NYC and don't have a car or something. I'm usually willing to drive a few hundred miles or more depending on the item.
Facebook shows me relevant results beyond 100 miles :iono:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 am :dat:

"relevant results" but nothing specific. If you want a Roland PD-120 snare drum, you have to sort through every drum on the whole market. I just did this, it's :fullretard:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 am
4zilch wrote:
"relevant results" but nothing specific. If you want a Roland PD-120 snare drum, you have to sort through every drum on the whole market. I just did this, it's :fullretard:
But if the product isn't on CL, then it doesn't matter :science:

An the app version of FB, it's easy to just drag your center point to where you want to search from if the "relevant results" aren't concise enough.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 am
Barnes93cb wrote:

I live in a super small town and there are no cities within 100 miles. Its 250 miles to the nearest city.

CL lets me choose multiple options. I can look at san antonio, austin, dallas, houston all at the same time.
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 am "relevant results" but nothing specific. If you want a Roland PD-120 snare drum, you have to sort through every drum on the whole market. I just did this, it's :fullretard:
But if the product isn't on CL, then it doesn't matter :science:

An the app version of FB, it's easy to just drag your center point to where you want to search from if the "relevant results" aren't concise enough.
:word:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Stumbled across this channel on the 'tubes. Some pretty good content. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0FFFn ... 0jA/videos
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:05 pm Stumbled across this channel on the 'tubes. Some pretty good content. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0FFFn ... 0jA/videos
Some decent stuff in there for all skill levels. Not the... i just got a bike let me teach you the motorcycle wave bullshit.
I was a msf instructor for a bit. At first I was amazed about the lack of knowledge and common sense some people had. BUT 99% of everyone new has the opportunity to learn, master, and have a blast.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

This kid has some decent science going. I’ve always been :really: about chain lube.
I run an RK gold x ring chain and ill hit it with wd40 once it is filthy and hit it when some motul...that can has been in my garage since 2007, so am i really :wasteful: ? Not really. I’m totally agreeing with him though.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:25 pm
This kid has some decent science going. I’ve always been :really: about chain lube.
I run an RK gold x ring chain and ill hit it with wd40 once it is filthy and hit it when some motul...that can has been in my garage since 2007, so am i really :wasteful: ? Not really. I’m totally agreeing with him though.
I didn’t watch the video but I’m sure it sounds like most of the forum discussions around chain cleaning and maintenance.

The whole clean and line your chain every 250-500 miles is a holdover from the non-oring chain days and none of the manufacturers have really studied it to see if any update was needed.

I clean my chain when it’s looking dirty with a brush and some wd40 - even though the internet will try to tell that it will cause your o-rings to swell. Molecularly wd40 is pretty close to kerosene, which is almost universally accepted as a chain cleaner.

For lube I use DuPont PTFE chain wax - it doesn’t fling off nor does dirt readily stick to it. I do keep a can of Motorex white chain lube around as well if DuPont becomes hard to find again. The process has served me well for the better part of the last 10 years.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:54 am
NeonJonny wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:25 pm
I didn’t watch the video but I’m sure it sounds like most of the forum discussions around chain cleaning and maintenance.

The whole clean and line your chain every 250-500 miles is a holdover from the non-oring chain days and none of the manufacturers have really studied it to see if any update was needed.

I clean my chain when it’s looking dirty with a brush and some wd40 - even though the internet will try to tell that it will cause your o-rings to swell. Molecularly wd40 is pretty close to kerosene, which is almost universally accepted as a chain cleaner.

For lube I use DuPont PTFE chain wax - it doesn’t fling off nor does dirt readily stick to it. I do keep a can of Motorex white chain lube around as well if DuPont becomes hard to find again. The process has served me well for the better part of the last 10 years.
I got way over 25,000 miles on my original r6 chain ripping wheelies, slamming it into first gear and sliding the rear tire. I rarely oiled the thing. Maybe every oil change. Granted it didnt have 1000cc torque it lasted a long time.
P.S. what state are you in?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:36 pm
4zilch wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:54 am

I got way over 25,000 miles on my original r6 chain ripping wheelies, slamming it into first gear and sliding the rear tire. I rarely oiled the thing. Maybe every oil change. Granted it didnt have 1000cc torque it lasted a long time.
Yeah, I’ve never worn through a chain or sprocket - even with loads of track riding on 1000cc V-twin torque monsters.

The last time I changed a chain is when I changed gearing and the bike had a enough miles to justify the extra cost to replace the chain as well.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:28 am
NeonJonny wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:36 pm

Yeah, I’ve never worn through a chain or sprocket - even with loads of track riding on 1000cc V-twin torque monsters.

The last time I changed a chain is when I changed gearing and the bike had a enough miles to justify the extra cost to replace the chain as well.
:dubshow: Scolded me for not changing my chain with ~4k miles on it when I changed the rear ratio. It looks fine, operates fine, so why mess with a good thing?
brain go brrrrrr
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:05 am

:dubshow: Scolded me for not changing my chain with ~4k miles on it when I changed the rear ratio. It looks fine, operates fine, so why mess with a good thing?
I’m at 15/43 and would kind of like to go to 15/45 but I was paranoid about uneven chain wear. i don't do tons of miles on this thing so I doubt it would really be that detrimental. Probably put on 2200 miles since I’ve owned it in 5 years. Its kind of annoying never getting out of second gear in dirt lol
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:yeahok:

shit was rusty and dirty. Clearly your plan of doing nothing is paying off. :like:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:51 am

:yeahok:

shit was rusty and dirty. Clearly your plan of doing nothing is paying off. :like:
I cleaned it....
brain go brrrrrr
jackfrank
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: motorcycle

I love riding a bike that is why I always aware of safe riding. I wear a helmet, boots, earplugs, gloves, a jacket so that I never put myself into a risk. If we don't use a helmet then we will be always at risk and if we don't use earplugs then we will fall into hearing loss/damage. That is why earplugs are an important part of motorcycle safety equipment.
I found some websites and want to share here because so that you can aware of hearing protection.

https://www.bigearinc.com/montreal-moto ... protection

https://eatsleepride.com/c/119736/serio ... es_like_me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRtJsB43ws8
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:melon: & :fax: day 1 in the books
brain go brrrrrr