Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Oh.

Riding to work this week. Finding that parking garages are hell spawn, esp. since the work one has a really shitty card system (RFID) to get in and out. I can ride right around the entrance gate to the garage, and have a good track record of getting lucky and following cars into the gate on the second floor I cannot ride around. I'm also okay that I am taking up one of the ridiculous compact car spots; because the S2000 can barely fit in them and too many asshats in SUVs squeeze into them anyway.

My distaste for people that drive down the center of a narrow, two way traffic garage while they look at their phones has risen rapidly. Pick your fucking Spotify playlist before you pull out of your spot dipshit.

That said, the weather here is perfect and riding the motorbike is awesome. Slowly getting more comfortable. Commute is only two miles so, not much seat time there, but it's something!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm Oh.

Riding to work this week. Finding that parking garages are hell spawn, esp. since the work one has a really shitty card system (RFID) to get in and out. I can ride right around the entrance gate to the garage, and have a good track record of getting lucky and following cars into the gate on the second floor I cannot ride around. I'm also okay that I am taking up one of the ridiculous compact car spots; because the S2000 can barely fit in them and too many asshats in SUVs squeeze into them anyway.

My distaste for people that drive down the center of a narrow, two way traffic garage while they look at their phones has risen rapidly. Pick your fucking Spotify playlist before you pull out of your spot dipshit.

That said, the weather here is perfect and riding the motorbike is awesome. Slowly getting more comfortable. Commute is only two miles so, not much seat time there, but it's something!
Yeah, our Indy office isn’t conducive to motorcycle riding. Card in and card out and you can’t ride around the gates :bs:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Work on a military base. I have to use an ID to get on base every time.

If this will be a regular thing for you. They make gloves and jackets with pockets specific to cards. Ive also seen people put card holders onto their fairings or their tanks to make it super easy.

Im currently doing the pocket dig. Its terrible. But I will get new gear once im back.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:10 am Lovely. Kinda want.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/200 ... +20+States
:jimp:
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Ok, so after another instance of "dammit, just too much stuff for only the backpack, can't ride the motorcycle" yesterday, I'm looking into a mini rack and/or bag setup. Here's what I'm looking at for starters...

Honda's passenger seat bag - reviews are meh doe...

H&B mini rack and tail bag - mo' money but also better all around

Still doing more research. From the looks of it, anything that fits a CBR300R will also fit a CB300F. If I can find something that'll fit a change of clothes including shoes, I'll be golden. I don't care about losing passenger seat, it ain't getting used for a long time anyway. A tail rack seems, in general, more versatile though.

Looking for recommendations on brands to look for or stay away from, etc.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kri ... 20-drypack

Recommended by coworker, looks like an awesome solution.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kri ... 20-drypack

Kriega stuff is nice, but it's :waxer:

I have one of these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nel ... t-tail-bag

Can confirm it'll haul a couple 6 packs.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:56 pm
stripethree wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kri ... 20-drypack

Kriega stuff is nice, but it's :waxer:

I have one of these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nel ... t-tail-bag

I agree with Trav on this. Go cheaper.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 am Ok, so after another instance of "dammit, just too much stuff for only the backpack, can't ride the motorcycle" yesterday, I'm looking into a mini rack and/or bag setup. Here's what I'm looking at for starters...

Honda's passenger seat bag - reviews are meh doe...

H&B mini rack and tail bag - mo' money but also better all around

Still doing more research. From the looks of it, anything that fits a CBR300R will also fit a CB300F. If I can find something that'll fit a change of clothes including shoes, I'll be golden. I don't care about losing passenger seat, it ain't getting used for a long time anyway. A tail rack seems, in general, more versatile though.

Looking for recommendations on brands to look for or stay away from, etc.
what about a side soft bag setup? Usually under $100 and have decent capacity. The universal ones attach under the rear seat section.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I haven't looked much at side soft bags, but those might allow me to ditch the backpack entirely in a lot of situations. Hmmm.
4zilch wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:56 pm I have one of these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nel ... t-tail-bag

I'll check that out also. The Kriega stuff is :waxer:. Waterproof, comes with shoulder strap, modular... hmmmmm

Ninja edit, didn't see this on the Nelson at first: Converts into a convenient backpack using the shoulder strap which doubles as backpacks straps.

Nice.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Seeing the design of these things makes me wonder if I can just strap one of my existing bags down. I have this, and the extra straps that came with the 30L backpack. I might experiment this weekend before dropping more coin. The Peak Design bags are waterproof also.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 pm Kinda want. 6k miles and 2700 dollhairs.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so did you buy this? brb, going to check the zilch garage thread and kick rocks.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 am
4zilch wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 pm Kinda want. 6k miles and 2700 dollhairs.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so did you buy this? brb, going to check the zilch garage thread and kick rocks.
nah - On the hunt for an ND.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am
dubshow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 am

ohhh thats right. I totally forgot about the ole 650 R. Big red.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:11 am
4zilch wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am

do you even read bro

:trollface:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 am
dubshow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:11 am

do you even read bro

:trollface:
:nope:

cant be bothered. Too busy texting and driving my airboat.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Great looking concept from BMW. Pannier bags held on by electromagnets. :notbad:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ ... pt-9cento/

Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Harley-Davidson, Unable To Sell Millennials Motorcycles, Pivots To Bicycles -- https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidson-un ... 1826981809
Barnes93cb

Davestr wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:48 pm Harley-Davidson, Unable To Sell Millennials Motorcycles, Pivots To Bicycles -- https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidson-un ... 1826981809
All of my riding friends are on Harley’s. I’m the last that hasn’t converted yet.

But we also can’t afford new. So we all went used.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:06 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:48 pm Harley-Davidson, Unable To Sell Millennials Motorcycles, Pivots To Bicycles -- https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidson-un ... 1826981809
All of my riding friends are on Harley’s. I’m the last that hasn’t converted yet.

Surprisingly, I saw a ton of new Harleys ridden by younger guys and gals on Kauai and Oahu.

I had thought I would see a lot of older bikes, but almost all of them were Milwaukee 8's.
Barnes93cb

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Surprisingly, I saw a ton of new Harleys ridden by younger guys and gals on Kauai and Oahu.

I had thought I would see a lot of older bikes, but almost all of them were Milwaukee 8's.
I guess technically we could afford it. But I make 50k a year and can’t justify a 25k bike. As much as I would love a new street glide.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:14 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:12 pm

I guess technically we could afford it. But I make 50k a year and can’t justify a 25k bike. As much as I would love a new street glide.
Yeah, I get that... it was pretty shocking to me to see so many on the islands when most of the younger people that I actually talked to told me that they had 2 or 3 jobs just to live there. Seems there are a ton of part time jobs but not a lot of full time jobs for younger people over there.
Barnes93cb

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:24 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Yeah, I get that... it was pretty shocking to me to see so many on the islands when most of the younger people that I actually talked to told me that they had 2 or 3 jobs just to live there. Seems there are a ton of part time jobs but not a lot of full time jobs for younger people over there.
From my understanding it’s a lot of tourism for the most part. All full time positions and 9-5 jobs have already been claimed by those already there. It makes entry to the work Force difficult.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Harley-Davidson to Shift Some Production of Motorcycles Out of U.S. After EU Tariffs
Bloomberg News
June 25, 2018, 1:24 PM GMT+2

Harley-Davidson Inc. plans to shift some production of its iconic motorcycles out of the U.S. in response to retaliatory European Union tariffs, as President Donald Trump’s trade war ripples back to American companies, Bloomberg News reports

Each motorcycle will cost an average of $2,200 extra after the European Union raised its tariff on imported U.S. bikes to 31 percent from 6 percent on June 22, the Milwaukee-based manufacturer said Monday in a regulatory filing. That’s expected to add up to a burden of $90 million to $100 million annually, which Harley-Davidson will absorb rather than pass extra costs on to customers.