Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:21 pm
Nobody here is going to TRACKDAYBRO as much as they think they are, let's be real.
I wouldn't risk tracking these cars for even a single lap, but that's just me. Maybe on crappy tires and on a small/flat track with no banked sweepers, like Waterford...
:ohdang:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:21 pm
Nobody here is going to TRACKDAYBRO as much as they think they are, let's be real.
:dat:

I still want to TRACKDAYBRO the STI at NJMP doe. I think it would be fun for a few laps.
:doit:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm

I wouldn't risk tracking these cars for even a single lap, but that's just me. Maybe on crappy tires and on a small/flat track with no banked sweepers, like Waterford...
They have pretty severe oiling issues on high-G turns.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:32 pm

I still want to TRACKDAYBRO the STI at NJMP doe. I think it would be fun for a few laps.
:doit:
If I do, I'll bring the BroPro so you all can laugh at my lack of ability to heel-toe and my horrible "racing" lines. :jizz:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Not an issue if you don't push it, but I'm not about to drive around at 7/10 on a track. 9.5/10 is about as far down as I can dial the :stig: factor.

Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Have you driven both? I drove a Cayman S once... my reference point is probably ruined by that. The new Miatas look like they're quick enough because of how light they are, but that incredibly sonorous and fun midship flat 6 would be hard to turn down.
I've driven Mehatas, only barely because I don't fit in them. They're ok, under powered (which I know is "the point" or whatever), shitty interior, basic amenities that usually function, etc.

I actually fit comfortably in Boxster and find them a bit more special to drive. I really prefer the mid-engine layout as well. If I were buying a $10k fun car, a Boxster would be at the top of the list.
Dat DFD linebacker crew, doe.

I barely fit in them. Actually I think it would be uncomfortable due to the lack of telescoping steering column. But the ND was one car at the last auto show I went to that I was legit impressed with and didn't want to get out of. It fits like a glove, the fender creases are awesome, and the top going down in 5 seconds is hilarious.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 pm
Seeing the pressure gauge move is a bit unsettling.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm
I've driven Mehatas, only barely because I don't fit in them. They're ok, under powered (which I know is "the point" or whatever), shitty interior, basic amenities that usually function, etc.

I actually fit comfortably in Boxster and find them a bit more special to drive. I really prefer the mid-engine layout as well. If I were buying a $10k fun car, a Boxster would be at the top of the list.
Dat DFD linebacker crew, doe.

I barely fit in them. Actually I think it would be uncomfortable due to the lack of telescoping steering column. But the ND was one car at the last auto show I went to that I was legit impressed with and didn't want to get out of. It fits like a glove, the fender creases are awesome, and the top going down in 5 seconds is hilarious.
If I had new car money to blow, it would be an ND club brembro package for sure. It's in the same autox class as the 986S too - and probably faster on most courses locally. Dat light weight, such small size, much short gearing. :stig:

Though for that much money you can get a 987.2 boxster/cayman... so maybe I still wouldn't miata.
ChrisoftheNorth

I barely fit in the ND, still too small.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:31 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm

I jumped off the Michelin cool aid. Especially for some reason, my as3's only lasted like 25k miles :wtf: Now I'm rocking General G-Max As3, cost just as half as the As3, more gripper but not significantly. Only problem is it might have softer sidewalls than michelins as I noticed when I corner a 25 mph at 50-60 mph, which michelins had no problem with.
Those will last longer at least. The sidewalls are definitely soft though. A friend of mine had those on his Mazda 3S. Was a lot more comfortable than the Falken Azenis he had on there prior, but didn't handle nearly as well.
That explains why my car feels like it's about to tip over when I took ramps hard.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://jalopnik.com/no-one-wants-to-bu ... 1796219373

Giulia sales wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down......or were never there..........
troyguitar

How is 25k miles not long enough for a set of tarz anyway? Maybe if you're driving a bus or something, but for an "enthusiast" you should be happy to get 20k.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Those will last longer at least. The sidewalls are definitely soft though. A friend of mine had those on his Mazda 3S. Was a lot more comfortable than the Falken Azenis he had on there prior, but didn't handle nearly as well.
That explains why my car feels like it's about to tip over when I took ramps hard.
Probably. Honestly, I hated the soft sidewalls on the DWS tires I had. Fuck those tires.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Probably. Honestly, I hated the soft sidewalls on the DWS tires I had. Fuck those tires.

The TT we had came with those and they were horrible even slightly stretched on the stock 19s. The squishy winter tires on 18s weren't any less responsive.
Johnny_P

Davestr wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm https://jalopnik.com/no-one-wants-to-bu ... 1796219373

I wouldn't buy one. All the articles on them include that something broke during the eval period. That is fucking horrible. I'm not buying a beta version of a car.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:12 pm

The TT we had came with those and they were horrible even slightly stretched on the stock 19s. The squishy winter tires on 18s weren't any less responsive.
Yep. Over-hyped forum trash.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I debated whether that or Sumitomo, cause I couldn't justify Michelins at that point. I read someone refereed them as "cheap michelin as3" or something like that. I read reviews like crazy. It's either people are expressing it more exaggeratingly, drive like a pussy or never had tires like michelin. I feel like I regret this decision.

But it didn't make the car as floaty as the tiguan loaner did, so I guess I can't complain about that lol.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:09 pm https://jalopnik.com/no-one-wants-to-bu ... 1796219373

No dealer network...
Ppl hesitant about the brand...
plenty of great other choices that don't suffer from problems 1,2.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:20 pm

No dealer network...
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

So I got banned off of the Fiat forum, wasn't even really trolling :ohslap:

http://fiattech.com/forum/fiattech-grou ... y?start=60

(FiveSpeedAbarth)
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
SixSpeeder

No dealer network...

And the quality just isn't there from what I've heard
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:38 pm So I got banned off of the Fiat forum, wasn't even really trolling :ohslap:

(FiveSpeedAbarth)
the moderator doesn't seem to handle things maturely either from what I see. Maybe he should be taking sweet showers with Donald Trump together, they'll sure understand each other.
SixSpeeder

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:43 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:38 pm So I got banned off of the Fiat forum, wasn't even really trolling :ohslap:

(FiveSpeedAbarth)
the moderator doesn't seem to handle things maturely either from what I see. Maybe he should be taking sweet showers with Donald Trump together, they'll sure understand each other.
Yep. Not much of a loss honestly, the forums for my car are seriously lacking in any technical data compared to most of the other cars/forums that I've been on.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:49 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Yep. Not much of a loss honestly, the forums for my car are seriously lacking in any technical data compared to most of the other cars/forums that I've been on.
I read other posts too, I felt like i'm on vwvortex reading mk4 kids posts, literally only one dude agreed with you. The moderator is like trump "you're fired for not agreeing with me" he's probably a much of a pussy in keyboard warrior as he is in real life :sad: . WAIT, :plac: blocks people on youtube as well for the same reason.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

No dealer network...
:word: