Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:01 pm

I really like the way it looks. Its definitely got a ton of character. She loves it too.

Tons of interior space and headroom. Feels roomy even though it’s so small. Even in the back seats. Trunk space is good. Rear seats don’t fold down completely flat though.

Engine is a touch loud and coarse sounding, but no worse than a 1.8L 2011-up Toyota Corolla with an auto trans. Also it is hilariously slow 0-60 (9 seconds or so) but it’s not meant to be quick.

I see why people hate the transmission in the early models. It’s a 9AT that shifts a little lazily. It doesn’t hunt much, and would rather not shift down unless you really lay into it.
On my drive up to [user not found]’s yesterday I was doing 90mph. It would occasionally hit 8th but never 9th unless I put it there Manually. I think it’s geared to be a 6spd with 3 ODs.

Steering is super quick and responsive, good feel. Super tight turning circle that is as tight as the mini. Rides on pavement well, doesn’t feel choppy or like it wants to roll over. Can’t wait to do a little off roading and see how it is out there.

Interior is decent, although we got a loaded model with Nav, leather, heated everything and climate control. Dash is well laid out and infotainment is fairly responsive. Visibility all around is really good and minimal blind spots.

Overall, I’m liking it more than I thought I would.

She loves it. She can see the road so much better and other people can see her thanks to the awesome color. A week into having it, someone tried to beat her across THAT intersection that the accident happened at (she drives through it every day still) with the same kind of traffic. She saw it starting to happen and was able to react... the other driver saw her... all good. She came home and had a complete meltdown from relief.

I’ve been driving the mini for a month now. I have never had people pull out in front of me so much in my life. It’s like I’m not even there... no wonder she hated it.

I just hate it for so many other reasons... it’s just not a good car to drive 100 miles a day and I miss the GTI already.
Wait, did I miss something? Do you no longer have your GTI?
Driving the MINI to keep a few miles off the GTI until the MINI lease is up in a couple months.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

My current short list:

ap2 s2000
124 abarth
2010 Boxster S
2009 Cayman
2005-07 elise
mk7 golf r

I'll have some test driving to do. Looking at $20-40k.

Things ruled out:

alfa 4c :lolol: :waxer:
e36/e9x/f80 m3
frbrz
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 pm Damn, Cayman prices are starting to get reasonable:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=CAYMAN

If you're willing to risk the IMS failure, that's an epic ride for $17k. They're finally in STR for autox this year too, which is :notbad:

Add some knockoff GT3 seats, coilovers, and tarz to have a badass $20k car.
thats what Ive been noticing.

there is a 29k mile 2010 Boxster S :manuel: for $30k locally. There are some bargains showing up with the new models out.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Boxsters have been cheap for a while, that's the way to go if you want a fun convertible street car. If you don't like to put on sunscreen and earplugs before driving your car, though, the Cayman commands a 50% premium.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 pm

Wait, did I miss something? Do you no longer have your GTI?
Driving the MINI to keep a few miles off the GTI until the MINI lease is up in a couple months.
Ah. Whew. Thanks for the info.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Slowbro9001
Gravy Craver
Gravy Craver
Drives: 2001 Miata, 2009 Ram 1500

dubshow wrote:My current short list:

ap2 s2000
124 abarth
2010 Boxster S
2009 Cayman
2005-07 elise
mk7 golf r

Things ruled out:

e36/e9x/f80 m3
frbrz
What about a nice 6mt 135i circa 2010? Way under budget and factory twin turbo. Handles on rails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 am

That color is fantastic. How you guys liking the trucklet so far?
I really like the way it looks. Its definitely got a ton of character. She loves it too.

Tons of interior space and headroom. Feels roomy even though it’s so small. Even in the back seats. Trunk space is good. Rear seats don’t fold down completely flat though.

Engine is a touch loud and coarse sounding, but no worse than a 1.8L 2011-up Toyota Corolla with an auto trans. Also it is hilariously slow 0-60 (9 seconds or so) but it’s not meant to be quick.

I see why people hate the transmission in the early models. It’s a 9AT that shifts a little lazily. It doesn’t hunt much, and would rather not shift down unless you really lay into it.
On my drive up to [user not found]’s yesterday I was doing 90mph. It would occasionally hit 8th but never 9th unless I put it there Manually. I think it’s geared to be a 6spd with 3 ODs.

Steering is super quick and responsive, good feel. Super tight turning circle that is as tight as the mini. Rides on pavement well, doesn’t feel choppy or like it wants to roll over. Can’t wait to do a little off roading and see how it is out there.

Interior is decent, although we got a loaded model with Nav, leather, heated everything and climate control. Dash is well laid out and infotainment is fairly responsive. Visibility all around is really good and minimal blind spots.

Overall, I’m liking it more than I thought I would.

She loves it. She can see the road so much better and other people can see her thanks to the awesome color. A week into having it, someone tried to beat her across THAT intersection that the accident happened at (she drives through it every day still) with the same kind of traffic. She saw it starting to happen and was able to react... the other driver saw her... all good. She came home and had a complete meltdown from relief.

I’ve been driving the mini for a month now. I have never had people pull out in front of me so much in my life. It’s like I’m not even there... no wonder she hated it.

I just hate it for so many other reasons... it’s just not a good car to drive 100 miles a day and I miss the GTI already.
I believe the Mini comments. Does hers have halogens or LEDs? I find that on the tiny cars the stupid bright headlights matter a ton. I got cut off all the time in my Focus but it never really happened in the GTI and hasn’t happened in the Vapemobile and I think that’s the lights.

I thought they were decent highway cars. Didn’t seem to ride too rough and were rather quiet especially compared to older Minis.

Glad you guys like the Jeep. I think they’re cool just wish they had a real engine option for them.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Slowbro9001 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:02 pm
dubshow wrote:My current short list:

ap2 s2000
124 abarth
2010 Boxster S
2009 Cayman
2005-07 elise
mk7 golf r

Things ruled out:

e36/e9x/f80 m3
frbrz
What about a nice 6mt 135i circa 2010? Way under budget and factory twin turbo. Handles on rails

I'd be very picky about spec and god when the HPFP ggoes I'd have to shit $1k. I'm just overall Leary on any BMW after 2005.
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
Slowbro9001 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:02 pm What about a nice 6mt 135i circa 2010? Way under budget and factory twin turbo. Handles on rails

I'd be very picky about spec and god when the HPFP ggoes I'd have to shit $1k. I'm just overall Leary on any BMW after 2005.
I just noticed the Golf R in that list. One of those things is not like the others...

:wtf: :butwhy:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 pm My current short list:

ap2 s2000
124 abarth
2010 Boxster S
2009 Cayman
2005-07 elise
mk7 golf r

Things ruled out:

e36/e9x/f80 m3
frbrz
One of these in addition to the Heap?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Slowbro9001
Gravy Craver
Gravy Craver
Drives: 2001 Miata, 2009 Ram 1500

dubshow wrote:
Slowbro9001 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:02 pm What about a nice 6mt 135i circa 2010? Way under budget and factory twin turbo. Handles on rails

They actually figured the HPFP out after a few tries. The real problem is once the turbos go, it's a royal PITA to get to them as they're mounted under and behind the engine. Not to mention paying for a walnut blasting while you're at it.

But you can also buy a $500 tune and have 400+ hp in 5 minutes, so there's that...

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:05 am

:plac:
:popcorn:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 pm My current short list:

ap2 s2000
124 abarth
2010 Boxster S
2009 Cayman
2005-07 elise
mk7 golf r

Things ruled out:

e36/e9x/f80 m3
frbrz
the heeps days are numbered. I need something exciting.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Slowbro9001 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 am
dubshow wrote:
They actually figured the HPFP out after a few tries. The real problem is once the turbos go, it's a royal PITA to get to them as they're mounted under and behind the engine. Not to mention paying for a walnut blasting while you're at it.

But you can also buy a $500 tune and have 400+ hp in 5 minutes, so there's that...

im very familiar with the platform. I am also very familiar with BMW tax, and that is now a 10 year old BMW. They all are having 10 year old dumb bmw problems and that incredibly weak Bavarian rubber at all window gaskets/seals.

bmw rubber makes me :rage:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 pm
dubshow wrote:
I just noticed the Golf R in that list. One of those things is not like the others...

:wtf: :butwhy:
you are not :wrong: Sir :mahtroy:

I have a soft spot for the .:R It doesnt fit the rwd sport coupe/vert but it has a great interior quality for the value and wont drop like a rock in value. It is also pretty fast.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:08 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 am

you are not :wrong: Sir :mahtroy:

I have a soft spot for the .:R It doesnt fit the rwd sport coupe/vert but it has a great interior quality for the value and wont drop like a rock in value. It is also pretty fast.
It's the best car to do it all.

That being said, I'm enjoying the roadster lyfe.
yeah, im going to have to commit to one side or the other.

There is another factor in here. Ability to add a trailer hitch. That rules out the Boxster. :sad:
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:08 am It's the best car to do it all.

That being said, I'm enjoying the roadster lyfe.

There is another factor in here. Ability to add a trailer hitch. That rules out the Boxster. :sad:
:poorvette:

Are used 17 GTI Sports $15k yet?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 am
dubshow wrote:

:poorvette:

they are not. We also have a mk6 that isnt going anywhere.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:23 am

the heeps days are numbered. I need something exciting.

Take up gator wrastlin'.
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 am :poorvette:

Why get a mk7 then? Do not pass go, :plac: directly to RWD sports car.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:45 am
dubshow wrote:
Why get a mk7 then? Do not pass go, :plac: directly to RWD sports car.
:dat:

With the current rolling stock, this is the most :wtf: :plac: move I've heard in a while on here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:47 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:45 am Why get a mk7 then? Do not pass go, :plac: directly to RWD sports car.

With the current rolling stock, this is the most :wtf: :plac: move I've heard in a while on here.
golf arr =/= GTI
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:47 am

golf arr =/= GTI
The real question is, why do you need yet another expensive vehicle? Hasn't this burned you in the past? Isn't your lawn already full with crap as it is?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

2 eggs makes a great breakfast sandwich, dunno about a great driveway... especially in the land of no winter.

I recommend an RX8. :stig:
Johnny_P

If you buy an R you should also buy a regular Golf so you have the whole spectrum. You know, for fun.

:wtf:

Nah I'd pass on the R. Boxster gets my vote, assuming you like/want the top down experience. There wouldn't be much reason to get the R over a GTI Sport in the land of no winter, which you basically already own.