Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:36 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 pm

When I worked at the Porsche/Audi/VW dealer there was a yuuuuuge hole across the way.

We’d stand in the showroom and watch cars nail the hell out of it.
I miss Doylestown but I don't miss that as my daily commute.
Get a Raptor, you'd have fun with that commute. :hue:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:05 pm

#payarea. Go see real america Max. Poor southern milfs >>>>>>> fake cali milfs every day of the week.
Highest obesity rate in the nation and world outside of mexico i believe. No thanks breh. No such thing as a "southern milf" those are :unicorn: 's. Also I travel 5-10x a year in and out of the country... so i see enough.
oh, just max fax. Polish that bell son.

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:26 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm Southern MILF fucker, reporting in.
I can neither confirm nor deny this statement as I have'th not witnessed it. But I'll take his word for it.
I'll send references. For there are a few.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Yep I like those too. They come in AWD as well. They're 0-60 in... :doomed: 8.1 seconds :lol:
2.5L..... 6 gears.... 3700 lbs...... I mean it's basically the same as the new Rav just looks different. And with a bit more power and more gears in the Rav.... it theoretically doesn't have to suck.

So that's why I'm saying I'd like to see what reviews think of it. November will be 2 years with my car. If I can make it to 3, that would be 1 year of production with the Rav, so kinks should be ironed out, and possibly discounts started. Timing could be alright.
Toyota doesn't have first-year kinks... :
I have ten years of experience that says otherwise. They just deal with it and hide it well.

The 2016 Tacoma redesign had over 50 TSBs/service directives/silent recalls in the first model year. The 2018 Camry was launching as I left Toyota... it launched with several support campaigns, and a directive that if someone needed an oil change within the first 3 months of the official on-sale date to put them in a loaner car until the correct 0W-16 oil was commercially available.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:40 pm Well that was a little uncalled for.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/20032/vide ... rage-fight
Yea pretty wild... would be interesting to see the back story also... Biker swings at the car and the car loses their shit... literally witnessed the same shit on my way home the other day... except biker didn't fall and car ended up with a huge dent on the door and a broken mirror... I wish I had a dashcam at that point :shock:
You should get a dashcam. Your ex-poonmobile wouldn't want to get Nigerian'd without some sort of evidence.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Highest obesity rate in the nation and world outside of mexico i believe. No thanks breh. No such thing as a "southern milf" those are :unicorn: 's. Also I travel 5-10x a year in and out of the country... so i see enough.
oh, just max fax. Polish that bell son.

Legit smilie material.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:34 pm

I have ten years of experience that says otherwise. They just deal with it and hide it well.

The 2016 Tacoma redesign had over 50 TSBs/service directives/silent recalls in the first model year. The 2018 Camry was launching as I left Toyota... it launched with several support campaigns, and a directive that if someone needed an oil change within the first 3 months of the official on-sale date to put them in a loaner car until the correct 0W-16 oil was commercially available.
Vehicles are complex things produced in high volume. It's not a matter of if there will be problems, it's when and how they're handled. Some OEMs are better than others at this. But one thing is for sure, no OEM is perfect.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:fullretard:

First model year is fine guise :thisisfine: :nope:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 am

Vehicles are complex things produced in high volume. It's not a matter of if there will be problems, it's when and how they're handled. Some OEMs are better than others at this. But one thing is for sure, no OEM is perfect.
In Toyota's case they do seem to genuinely want their vehicles to stop coming back in for work, and seem to be rather aggressive at fixing issues when they pop up. Except floor mat issues.

Ford on the other hand. :facepalm:
Powerstroke engines shooting fire out the exhaust that's normal :thisisfine:
Powershit transmissions not lasting NFG :thisisfine:
Mustang transmission crunching whocares :thisisfine:
Mustang paint issues on the hood's leading edge for the last 10 years :thisisfine:
Ecoboom engines carbon buildup replace the head, routine maintenance :thisisfine:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am :fullretard:

I think it depends. With all of the platform sharing going on, but the model updates occurring over several years, I probably wouldn't be so leery of buying a first year car if the platform has been used in other models for a couple years. 2019 Forester, for example. Global platform first hit the Impreza for the 2017 model year, then 2018 for the Crosstrek, then finally in 2019 the Forester moves over. Could probably say the same thing about most of the MQB cars since we're several years in for the Golf already.
ChrisoftheNorth

All OEMs want to reduce warranty repairs. It's a cost that shouldn't need to be incurred. Vehicles should be ready to go off the line with no problems. That's the goal.

But that's not the real world, so reacting to those problems is key. Toyota does it swiftly and under the radar. Others, such as Ford, do not. I've heard anecdotally that there's accounting that goes into how dealers handle warranty repairs and that OEM strategies can impact the result for the customer in that regard. Could be :bs: :doe:

But it doesn't really seem to matter. Even here people still seem to love Ford and would seriously consider buying one. The problem isn't so much customer facing as it is hitting the bottom line.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am :fullretard:

I think it depends. With all of the platform sharing going on, but the model updates occurring over several years, I probably wouldn't be so leery of buying a first year car if the platform has been used in other models for a couple years. 2019 Forester, for example. Global platform first hit the Impreza for the 2017 model year, then 2018 for the Crosstrek, then finally in 2019 the Forester moves over. Could probably say the same thing about most of the MQB cars since we're several years in for the Golf already.
This works in theory. But a car is made of around 30,000 individual parts. And a factory putting those together for the first time WILL have issues. If the individual components are mostly figured out these shouldn't be catastrophic issues. But minor things like bushings being stored in an open container next to grit blasting machinery leading to premature failures, or torque guns not set to the correct torque for a certain bolt leading to a recall, or a piece of tooling is off by 3mm resulting in some driveline misalignment and therefore problems. That sort of thing is to be expected.

Saw this even with Honda. The current 2.0L civics had initial-run issues where piston snap rings weren't fully seated, leading to engine failure. That's a problem with a piece of machinery not being set correctly. That engine, the K-series, has been around forever at this point and this only had minor changes from prior K motors but there you go. They also had issues with A-pillars denting, likely a laser welding issue that was sorted out quietly.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:25 am 2019 Miata changes outlined: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/f ... ul-engine/

:megusta:

What blows my mind is that 2018 production has already ended, I don’t have a single 2018 Miata on the lot.

Need to start working management on moving the 7 2017 leftovers I do have, or were gonna be taking a bigger loss than we would now.
Dual mass flywheel :gay:
Rest sounds good. Esp the telescoping steering wheel. Wonder if they'll offer any other colors. Current Mazda color palette sucks.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:25 am 2019 Miata changes outlined: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/f ... ul-engine/

What blows my mind is that 2018 production has already ended, I don’t have a single 2018 Miata on the lot.

Need to start working management on moving the 7 2017 Miata leftovers we still have.
Last month, we told you about the possibility that the 2019 Miata would have significantly more power courtesy of a heavily-revised Skyactiv 2.0-liter engine.

Let’s start with the engine. The power figures are impressive–181hp at an as-yet-unspecified engine speed and 151 lb-feet of torque. These are improvements of 26 hp and 3 lb-feet respectively.
:fuckyeah:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 am

Need to start working management on moving the 7 2017 leftovers I do have, or were gonna be taking a bigger loss than we would now.
Dual mass flywheel :gay:
Rest sounds good. Esp the telescoping steering wheel. Wonder if they'll offer any other colors. Current Mazda color palette sucks.
They need a good orange.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:26 am
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 am

This works in theory. But a car is made of around 30,000 individual parts. And a factory putting those together for the first time WILL have issues. If the individual components are mostly figured out these shouldn't be catastrophic issues. But minor things like bushings being stored in an open container next to grit blasting machinery leading to premature failures, or torque guns not set to the correct torque for a certain bolt leading to a recall, or a piece of tooling is off by 3mm resulting in some driveline misalignment and therefore problems. That sort of thing is to be expected.

Saw this even with Honda. The current 2.0L civics had initial-run issues where piston snap rings weren't fully seated, leading to engine failure. That's a problem with a piece of machinery not being set correctly. That engine, the K-series, has been around forever at this point and this only had minor changes from prior K motors but there you go. They also had issues with A-pillars denting, likely a laser welding issue that was sorted out quietly.
Yes well they don’t just start bolting them together and pray. Millions of test miles etc etc go into it. Outside of the Germans I trust most to get it right at launch or with a few minor tweaks. They can’t afford not to.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 am
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:32 am

They need a good orange.
:dat:

:jimp:
:dat: :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:26 am

Yes well they don’t just start bolting them together and pray. Millions of test miles etc etc go into it. Outside of the Germans I trust most to get it right at launch or with a few minor tweaks. They can’t afford not to.
The base engineering of something is thoroughly tested (except for Germans for some reason it seems). It's the variation that's introduced by producing thousands of things where issues creep up. And while that's improving across the industry, issues still occur. There's no way around it.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:10 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 am
The base engineering of something is thoroughly tested (except for Germans for some reason it seems). It's the variation that's introduced by producing thousands of things where issues creep up. And while that's improving across the industry, issues still occur. There's no way around it.
:dat:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Since Ford is theme today - Why not MOAR!

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-2018-ford- ... 1823342113
max225

Davestr wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 pm Since Ford is theme today - Why not MOAR!

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-2018-ford- ... 1823342113
How does it compare?
Let me answer that without reading 10 pages of nonsese.
If you get the auto the 10 speed is far quicker/faster/better and epic for a 2018 vehicle.
If you get the manual, it doesn't matter, it is still made in COMMUNIST CHINA!
No one else other than you can tell any of the exterior and interior differences other than the digi dash which will fail miserably if you keep the car for 10 years or more.
max225

http://markets.businessinsider.com/news ... 1021194623
"According to the family, Mr. Huang was well aware that Autopilot was not perfect and, specifically, he told them it was not reliable in that exact location, yet he nonetheless engaged Autopilot at that location. The crash happened on a clear day with several hundred feet of visibility ahead, which means that the only way for this accident to have occurred is if Mr. Huang was not paying attention to the road, despite the car providing multiple warnings to do so.
Translation driver was an epic :derp: and Darwin got him out of the cess pool of society
Davestr

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:27 pm http://markets.businessinsider.com/news ... 1021194623
"According to the family, Mr. Huang was well aware that Autopilot was not perfect and, specifically, he told them it was not reliable in that exact location, yet he nonetheless engaged Autopilot at that location. The crash happened on a clear day with several hundred feet of visibility ahead, which means that the only way for this accident to have occurred is if Mr. Huang was not paying attention to the road, despite the car providing multiple warnings to do so.
Translation driver was an epic :derp: and Darwin got him out of the cess pool of society
No loss at all. Dont drive if you dont intend to control the car. Call Uber or someone else or telecommute and stay the fk off the road!
Davestr

Interesting experiment/assessment - http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/he ... -used-cars
Johnny_P

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-vw-jetta- ... 1825148406

Review of the new Nissan Quest sedan.

:whocares: It's basically the same size as a 2006 Passat at this point. With a 1.4T :jalepenis: motor.

An interesting tidbit from the article: The author didn't get a chance to drive the :manuel: version. Because it broke. :thisisfine: