Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote:Does your car live outside?
Negative. Garaged at home and at work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:01 am

Yea, that makes a huge difference for ceramic coating. My Corvette is going on 2 years with CQuartz and I haven’t done anything other than wash it and it still looks like that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:12 am

Yea, that makes a huge difference for ceramic coating. My Corvette is going on 2 years with CQuartz and I haven’t done anything other than wash it and it still looks like that.
:dat:

Cquartz Finest Reserve on the JKU and the Camaro needed to be washed with Reset a few times in the first year since they live outside. The Z06 is 2.5 years on it's Cquartz Finest and it is like the Z51 was after 2 years.... as if the coating was brand new.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 am So, I think I was too hard on CQuartz on the truck earlier.

Some might recall that I was complaining of bird shit etching on the truck from when a splat bakes on under the sun for week. I cleaned a few off with quick detailer, and the paint etched underneath...or so I thought.

Big rain storm on Wednesday and :jesus: finally gave the truck a good bath. I went to look for the etching for some reason and it's gone. :wtf: not sure if it just etched the CQuartz or what, but after the heavy rain, water is beading again and I can't find any etching. Assume CQuartz is doing its job?

:mindblown:
So, two things could be at play here.

1. The rain did wash it better than you cleaned it.
2. The coating healed itself.

Have you had any decent temps in the 80's or more since you noticed the possible etching? About 4 months after I had the Z06 coated I got a massive bird shit on the exposed carbon roof, like... the bird ate Taco Bell and had the worst food poisoning ever.. The shit sat on the roof for about 6 hours in 100F heat. When I got it cleaned off it left a visible etching. I was pretty certain the whole roof was going to need to be polished and coated again, and the clear on the exposed carbon is thin, and expensive.

I washed it twice more, and it was still there, so the next day after work I drove over to my friend's detail shop to show him the damage. It seems that after sitting in the sun all day at work and on the ride home from work, the scar disappeared. We looked for it in the sun at his shop, then pulled it in and looked at it under his massive wall of LEDs that show every flaw and it was gone. :iono: :iono:

He emailed his rep at Cquartz and they claimed this happens, but they don't advertise it as a feature because some damage won't just even out. This is interesting to me because my understanding is that once it cures, it's supposed to be set.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:58 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 am So, I think I was too hard on CQuartz on the truck earlier.

Some might recall that I was complaining of bird shit etching on the truck from when a splat bakes on under the sun for week. I cleaned a few off with quick detailer, and the paint etched underneath...or so I thought.

Big rain storm on Wednesday and :jesus: finally gave the truck a good bath. I went to look for the etching for some reason and it's gone. :wtf: not sure if it just etched the CQuartz or what, but after the heavy rain, water is beading again and I can't find any etching. Assume CQuartz is doing its job?

:mindblown:
So, two things could be at play here.

1. The rain did wash it better than you cleaned it.
2. The coating healed itself.

Have you had any decent temps in the 80's or more since you noticed the possible etching? About 4 months after I had the Z06 coated I got a massive bird shit on the exposed carbon roof, like... the bird ate Taco Bell and had the worst food poisoning ever.. The shit sat on the roof for about 6 hours in 100F heat. When I got it cleaned off it left a visible etching. I was pretty certain the whole roof was going to need to be polished and coated again, and the clear on the exposed carbon is thin, and expensive.

I washed it twice more, and it was still there, so the next day after work I drove over to my friend's detail shop to show him the damage. It seems that after sitting in the sun all day at work and on the ride home from work, the scar disappeared. We looked for it in the sun at his shop, then pulled it in and looked at it under his massive wall of LEDs that show every flaw and it was gone. :iono: :iono:

He emailed his rep at Cquartz and they claimed this happens, but they don't advertise it as a feature because some damage won't just even out. This is interesting to me because my understanding is that once it cures, it's supposed to be set.
Oh, interesting. It was 92 degrees the day after I cleaned the shit off (quick detailer and microfiber) and before the rain washed the truck. Maybe it did heal itself? I was legit bummed that the paint etched, and I can’t find any trace of it now. I need to wash the truck with reset and spray some reload on it to see how that goes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea well, that basically multiples all protection by 10
ChrisoftheNorth

I just put some serious work into cleaning the ZR2 up. It was beyond filthy from some recent wheeling, and the pin stripes were bad. When I bought the truck, I applied 3 coats of CQuartz to it, and after a year of sitting exclusively outside, getting caked with mud, routinely power washed and generally being treated crappy, I figured the CQuartz was long gone.

Washed it twice with Reset, dried, and did two applications of Reload. It looks like I just applied the CQuartz fresh. :mindblown: nice. Better, the pinstriping has been reduced by ~75%. Still there if you look for it, but overall nowhere near as noticeable as it was before. Legit :notbad: results.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 pm I just put some serious work into cleaning the ZR2 up. It was beyond filthy from some recent wheeling, and the pin stripes were bad. When I bought the truck, I applied 3 coats of CQuartz to it, and after a year of sitting exclusively outside, getting caked with mud, routinely power washed and generally being treated crappy, I figured the CQuartz was long gone.

Washed it twice with Reset, dried, and did two applications of Reload. It looks like I just applied the CQuartz fresh. :mindblown: nice. Better, the pinstriping has been reduced by ~75%. Still there if you look for it, but overall nowhere near as noticeable as it was before. Legit :notbad: results.
Nice.

I just had my ZR2 2 step corrected and CQuartz Finest Reserve and DLUX applied.

Kinda disappointed in the paint quality.... overall it looks good, but there are 4 spots where there is dirt/dust/something under the paint. My friend didn't want to wetsand it as his last adventure with that on a C7 ZR1 revealed primer almost instantly.

Looks good though, jut nit-picking. I also removed the Colorado letters on the doors and on the tailgate, looks much cleaner now.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 pm I just put some serious work into cleaning the ZR2 up. It was beyond filthy from some recent wheeling, and the pin stripes were bad. When I bought the truck, I applied 3 coats of CQuartz to it, and after a year of sitting exclusively outside, getting caked with mud, routinely power washed and generally being treated crappy, I figured the CQuartz was long gone.

Nice.

Kinda disappointed in the paint quality.... overall it looks good, but there are 4 spots where there is dirt/dust/something under the paint. My friend didn't want to wetsand it as his last adventure with that on a C7 ZR1 revealed primer almost instantly.

Looks good though, jut nit-picking. I also removed the Colorado letters on the doors and on the tailgate, looks much cleaner now.
I haven't really scrutinized the paint much, it's pretty screwed from my offroad debauchery.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:22 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Nice.

I haven't really scrutinized the paint much, it's pretty screwed from my offroad debauchery.
That's why I'm not too worried, this winter it will get beat up, just sad that Chevy still has so many paint problems.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:58 pm

That's why I'm not too worried, this winter it will get beat up, just sad that Chevy still has so many paint problems.
Should've seen my Frontier...

:triggered:
Nissan is not surprising at all. They don't give 2 shits that a $130k GTR has the same paint quality as a subprime spec Sentra or Altima.

Nissan has worse QC than just about anyone these days. I would like to see more from a real company that doesn't rely on a majority of sales to terrorists and people in shithole countries that don't understand the concept of quality to keep them afloat.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:27 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 am

Should've seen my Frontier...

:triggered:
Nissan is not surprising at all. They don't give 2 shits that a $130k GTR has the same paint quality as a subprime spec Sentra or Altima.

Nissan has worse QC than just about anyone these days. I would like to see more from a real company that doesn't rely on a majority of sales to terrorists and people in shithole countries that don't understand the concept of quality to keep them afloat.
Sounds like you’re ready for the P car
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:43 am
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 am

Sounds like you’re ready for the P car
:lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Winter snuck up on me this year. :poorvette: is a mess and needs to be put away for the season. Doesn't look like I'll be able to wash it again. It's rather dirty, and I really do not want to put the cover over it in its current state. What's the best waterless wash these days? Just want to clean it off enough to put the cover on it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm Winter snuck up on me this year. :poorvette: is a mess and needs to be put away for the season. Doesn't look like I'll be able to wash it again. It's rather dirty, and I really do not want to put the cover over it in its current state. What's the best waterless wash these days? Just want to clean it off enough to put the cover on it.
How bad is it? Just use a lot of spray detailer and sacrifice a bunch of microfiber?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm Winter snuck up on me this year. :poorvette: is a mess and needs to be put away for the season. Doesn't look like I'll be able to wash it again. It's rather dirty, and I really do not want to put the cover over it in its current state. What's the best waterless wash these days? Just want to clean it off enough to put the cover on it.
How bad is it? Just use a lot of spray detailer and sacrifice a bunch of microfiber?
This was my initial thought. I was caught in a rain storm the last time I had it out, and got a bunch of water spots and whatnot on it. Figured I'd consults the experts here. Obviously, I'm not cleaning mud from the behind the tail lights, but I want it to be clean for the cover.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:53 pm
This stuff seems to be the #1 pick on every search: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X04JRMU?tag=thez9dalin-20
Wonder if it'll screw up my CQuartz...
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:00 pm
Wonder if it'll screw up my CQuartz...
https://carpro.global/catalog/ech2o/
:notbad:

Out of stock on Amazon. :rage:

I was hoping to get it put away this week before it gets much colder and I don't want to be outside.
ChrisoftheNorth

Woops, just found it. Ordered.

:megusta:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fellas:

Can Z or somebody else give me a refresh on a wheel cleaner I can spray on that will remove a week or so of brake dust without facking up the finish on the ramz?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230241-Whe ... B00KS5JJ4A

I bought this and it's legit :notbad:
Thank you sir, 2 ordered.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230241-Whe ... B00KS5JJ4A

Used this shit for YEARS. It's amazing.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Used this shit for YEARS. It's amazing.
:fuckyeah: Such endorsement
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:05 pm Fellas:

Can Z or somebody else give me a refresh on a wheel cleaner I can spray on that will remove a week or so of brake dust without facking up the finish on the ramz?
Z will tell you to take the wheels of the car and clean them with a tooth brush :lolol: