Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:24 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:09 pm

It's probably not. I've been using Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam in my little foam gun that attaches to the garden hose for quite awhile and have really liked it. This stuff I bought (GSF) is all the rage these days, I just wanted to give it a try.
I used the honeydew snowfoam once and went back to the meguires. I haven't washed my S4 in a month, and the C5 in at least two weeks. Been really lazy about it lately.
Those pictures of the green machine all cleaned up were :jimp: :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:22 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:24 pm

I used the honeydew snowfoam once and went back to the meguires. I haven't washed my S4 in a month, and the C5 in at least two weeks. Been really lazy about it lately.
Those pictures of the green machine all cleaned up were :jimp: :doe:
Yeah I sweat my ass off doing that :lolol:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Gave the GTO's engine bay a once-over for a car show last Saturday.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:29 am Gave the GTO's engine bay a once-over for a car show last Saturday.
No Lesbowagon in this picture.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:12 am
Huckleberry wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:29 am Gave the GTO's engine bay a once-over for a car show last Saturday.
No Lesbowagon in this picture.
:lolol:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:muah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

So I finally bought a pressure washer and I’ve got to say, it makes a big difference in washing. I don’t know why I waited so long.

The accessories cost more than the pressure washer but they’re well worth it.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:58 am So I finally bought a pressure washer and I’ve got to say, it makes a big difference in washing. I don’t know why I waited so long.

Looks good! Why is this better than a bucket and a big mitt? Legit question.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:15 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:58 am So I finally bought a pressure washer and I’ve got to say, it makes a big difference in washing. I don’t know why I waited so long.

The foam cannon creates so much slickness and lubrication on the surface you shouldn't have to worry about scratches. The pad glides so well on the surface. Added pressure to get stuck on gunk off is nice for the paint and ramz too.

It's also just more fun to use.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

For me it's so much faster, and fun like gman said.

I don't even bring a bucket out at all to wash my car anymore.

Spray the car down
Foam it
Spray it off
Foam again
Mit
Spray it off

Or if I'm in a hurry I just foam and spray once with no mit.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:42 am

Spray the car down
Foam it
Spray it off
Foam again
Mit
Spray it off

I'm probably going a little wild on the foam but I'm not sure I have enough to foam twice. I ended up going full :troywax: with a PF22.2 so maybe I'll dial it back a little bit.

Any good detailing stuff on sale for prime day? I stupidly bought the adams car shampoo 2 days ago instead of waiting because I forgot about prime day. It's $27 for a gallon now and I think I paid $34.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:27 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:42 am

Spray the car down
Foam it
Spray it off
Foam again
Mit
Spray it off

I'm probably going a little wild on the foam but I'm not sure I have enough to foam twice. I ended up going full :troywax: with a PF22.2 so maybe I'll dial it back a little bit.

Any good detailing stuff on sale for prime day? I stupidly bought the adams car shampoo 2 days ago instead of waiting because I forgot about prime day. It's $27 for a gallon now and I think I paid $34.
I have the Obsessed Garage PF22.2, but I had to modify it to fit my Ryobi wand and it leaks a bit now. I'll get a new fitting for a generic wand eventually.

I really like the yellow Maguires ultimate wash and wax for cheaper soap. In my experience it leaves less of a film as it dries off before rinsing than my chemical guys soap. Since you're using a bucket and a wet sponge I'm sure that's not as much of an issue.

Is your car coated at all?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:42 pm

I have the Obsessed Garage PF22.2, but I had to modify it to fit my Ryobi wand and it leaks a bit now. I'll get a new fitting for a generic wand eventually.

I really like the yellow Maguires ultimate wash and wax for cheaper soap. In my experience it leaves less of a film as it dries off before rinsing than my chemical guys soap. Since you're using a bucket and a wet sponge I'm sure that's not as much of an issue.

I've been using :dat: for a while now, too. I like it, and it smells :notbad: , too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Yup, I'm using the OG foam cannon too. I also bought the cheapest gun and wand he has too. :wasteful: Hose and QD's I just went with amazon stuff and haven't had any issues so far. No leaks and I didn't have to use teflon tape.

I wish it were coated but I don't want to mess it up so I've been using spray sealants. I know everyone loves Gtechniq stuff but when I applied 2 coats of C2V3 last year, it lasted maybe a month. And my car is garage kept. I followed the instructions and maybe I did something wrong but I thought it was terrible. My brother gave me some turtle wax hybrid stuff and it lasts way longer so that's what I've been using since. I know turtle wax is frowned upon but it seems to work way better than C2V3. And it's cheap. :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

My $.02, if you want a good spray sealant, nothing I've tried beats Sonax Polymer Net Shield.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I was thinking of trying the jescar powerlock plus + collinite 845 combo once I run out of the turtle wax stuff.

I use the turtle wax while drying so it also speeds up the wash process.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:59 pm

Yup, I'm using the OG foam cannon too. I also bought the cheapest gun and wand he has too. :wasteful: Hose and QD's I just went with amazon stuff and haven't had any issues so far. No leaks and I didn't have to use teflon tape.

I wish it were coated but I don't want to mess it up so I've been using spray sealants. I know everyone loves Gtechniq stuff but when I applied 2 coats of C2V3 last year, it lasted maybe a month. And my car is garage kept. I followed the instructions and maybe I did something wrong but I thought it was terrible. My brother gave me some turtle wax hybrid stuff and it lasts way longer so that's what I've been using since. I know turtle wax is frowned upon but it seems to work way better than C2V3. And it's cheap. :iono:
My S4 was coated before I bought it, and that definitely needs to be refreshed, or needs a good clay bar+ decontamination. I used Nova Jet or something on my Corvette which is a spray sealant and it lasted an easy 4-6mo with my crappy wash techniques
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:notbad: They've come a long way.

I also just bought a cheapo foam cannon with a 1.1 orifice off amazon specifically for ramz. I already have a gallon of brake buster but should I dilute it for foam cannon or use it straight up?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:55 pm :notbad: They've come a long way.

I also just bought a cheapo foam cannon with a 1.1 orifice off amazon specifically for ramz. I already have a gallon of brake buster but should I dilute it for foam cannon or use it straight up?
I just use a regular spray bottle, but the :ramz: on the S4 are also ceramic coated so they don't really need more than the pressure washer itself.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:01 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:55 pm :notbad: They've come a long way.

I just use a regular spray bottle, but the :ramz: on the S4 are also ceramic coated so they don't really need more than the pressure washer itself.
I should really do that while I have the wheels off the car. Even if not with a true ceramic coating, at least use the spray ceramic stuff.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Alright bros.

With the BRZ on the way, I will have my first new/'expensive' car since the :mk6: With the :aintcare: Beemah, I just went through the tunnel wash primarily, with interior detailing done at home and a hand wash/wax a couple of times/year. I am a bit out of the game but I'd like to take care of the paint on the new car and will likely resume home washing/exterior care.

What is the new hotness? Is PPF worth the lofty price tag? Curious if anyone has experience with it. I think at least on the front clip and behind the wheels would be worthwhile given those areas got pretty worse for the wear on the C5 from track time.

Ceramic coating, is this a valid substitute I can DIY? I still have a bunch of detailing shit but curious what people are using now.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:15 am Alright bros.

With the BRZ on the way, I will have my first new/'expensive' car since the :mk6: With the :aintcare: Beemah, I just went through the tunnel wash primarily, with interior detailing done at home and a hand wash/wax a couple of times/year. I am a bit out of the game but I'd like to take care of the paint on the new car and will likely resume home washing/exterior care.

What is the new hotness? Is PPF worth the lofty price tag? Curious if anyone has experience with it. I think at least on the front clip and behind the wheels would be worthwhile given those areas got pretty worse for the wear on the C5 from track time.

Ceramic coating, is this a valid substitute I can DIY? I still have a bunch of detailing shit but curious what people are using now.
I would think PPF is the way to go if you're going to track it. How much does it usually run for the front half of the car?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:13 am

I would think PPF is the way to go if you're going to track it. How much does it usually run for the front half of the car?
I haven't gotten a quote yet but I'm guessing $1500-$2K, the entire car I think would be more like $3K. Pretty pricey.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm still considering putting ppf on the cammie, my R looked brand new after 100k miles, and I've already got a few prominent chips to deal with. If your paint is going to get thrashed at the track, then spend the money on some PPF
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I just spent my entire Sunday in the garage buffing out the Silver Bullet, which I intend to put three coats of ceramic on this weekend. You can also pay somebody to do it for you, which I would consider. I had our Tahoe done professionally. I think the difference between pro and DIY is that they get a primer which helps bond the ceramic to the paint.