Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:06 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
I know but your theory that CQuartz should only be reserved for new cars is incorrect, IMHO. I polished a 12 year old truck to a mirror shine and put that shit on and it looks tight. A lot of new cars have paint issues, particularly orange peel.
I don't think he wants to do correction on the bro forks which is why he's not going to cquartz it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
He wants to correct every vehicle he owns, no matter what he says.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:07 pm I've wondered about trying that stuff on my car. It needs a major detailing and that would be the time to apply it. :iono: :doe:

The cheapo spray wax stuff for $25/gal on Amazon seems to be pretty decent and easy to use. What do you do to clean off bugs and stuff when you're on cquartz?
Car suds and water, just like any other car. They do sell this if you want to be super anal. https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reset-Int ... tz+shampoo.

The stuff lasts, and for a guy who's idea of time management includes throwing away foil to avoid washing pans, this stuff keeps you good to go for a LONG time.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I rarely use water on my car. Half of the year it's too cold anyway. I effectively "wash" it and wax it with the combo quick detailer and spray wax stuff, especially when out in the middle of nowhere for autox or whatever.

We also have bugs in this part of the country. If you drive at all during dawn/dusk, you need to clean the whole front of the car pretty much every day for 2/3 of the year. Dunno how it is in the desert...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:31 pm I rarely use water on my car. Half of the year it's too cold anyway. I effectively "wash" it and wax it with the combo quick detailer and spray wax stuff, especially when out in the middle of nowhere for autox or whatever.

We also have bugs in this part of the country. If you drive at all during dawn/dusk, you need to clean the whole front of the car pretty much every day for 2/3 of the year. Dunno how it is in the desert...
Pretty bug free. I use the shit out of spray detailer for touch ups though, and would remove bugs with it if we had any. Spray detailer is compatible with the coating.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

OK guys. I used up the last of my wax last weekend on Allison's car. I'm thinking of going CQuartz. The link [user not found] posted above looks like a good :dill:

Any great write ups, videos, details on the process and experience? I find it a little bit intimidating but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll just need a day to do it, I don't have a garage but I can go detail my car and apply it at my parent's house.

My plan is to wash, clay bar, and polish the car prior to doing it, get it as nice looking as I can, then apply it. My paint is far from perfect on this old turd, but it does look really good when clean still, and I just want to preserve it and make it easy to keep looking "good but not Zillspec" or whatever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Another question, any pro tips for etched on bug removal from the front bumper? When I cleaned Allison's car I really struggled getting it off. Washed it, tried Tarminator, tried polish... I think it's just on there to stay, but maybe there's a secret method?

Thanks to the pros for the tips.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

It does need to be applied and let cure in a garage for 24 hours. Put the most effort into prep, the application is simple. I applied it to my :poorvette: over 2 years ago and it still looks :mindblown: my car spends the vast majority of it's life in a garage :doe: even at work.

I applied it to my :truk: when I got it, and it seems to be pretty much done 10 most later. :truk: lives outside and barely gets washed (when it does, it's to blast off mud at the quarter wash), so that's probably part of the problem. Someone suggested that I try washing with reset and hitting it with reload to bring it back. I might try that this afternoon.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 pm It does need to be applied and let cure in a garage for 24 hours. Put the most effort into prep, the application is simple. I applied it to my :poorvette: over 2 years ago and it still looks :mindblown: my car spends the vast majority of it's life in a garage :doe: even at work.

I applied it to my :truk: when I got it, and it seems to be pretty much done 10 most later. :truk: lives outside and barely gets washed (when it does, it's to blast off mud at the quarter wash), so that's probably part of the problem. Someone suggested that I try washing with reset and hitting it with reload to bring it back. I might try that this afternoon.
Interesting. 10 isn't really much longer than a good wax. I have been using Collinite (45 I think?) for a few years. I last applied it at Thanksgiving 2017 and my car still beads water/looks good. It is mostly sitting inside at the airport though, so there's that.

The 24 hour cure might take it off the table for me though... it would be a pain to do it at my parent's house, have to get a ride home, wait 24 hours with no car, then get a ride back. Not impossible, as it's 45 minutes away, but the inconvenience might just push me back to waxing.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 pm It does need to be applied and let cure in a garage for 24 hours. Put the most effort into prep, the application is simple. I applied it to my :poorvette: over 2 years ago and it still looks :mindblown: my car spends the vast majority of it's life in a garage :doe: even at work.

Interesting. 10 isn't really much longer than a good wax. I have been using Collinite (45 I think?) for a few years. I last applied it at Thanksgiving 2017 and my car still beads water/looks good. It is mostly sitting inside at the airport though, so there's that.

The 24 hour cure might take it off the table for me though... it would be a pain to do it at my parent's house, have to get a ride home, wait 24 hours with no car, then get a ride back. Not impossible, as it's 45 minutes away, but the inconvenience might just push me back to waxing.
Everything Chris said. It's all prep....polish it to as much perfection after removing all shite with clay, iron x, etc. And yes, 24 hour cure. And yes, application is easy a monkey could do it. It lasts a LOT longer than wax, although yeah, leaving it exposed to the orb all day and never washing your car will help. It's better than wax.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:33 pm Another question, any pro tips for etched on bug removal from the front bumper? When I cleaned Allison's car I really struggled getting it off. Washed it, tried Tarminator, tried polish... I think it's just on there to stay, but maybe there's a secret method?

What kind of polish?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:25 pm

I can't tell if it's being outside non stop or the fact that I only wash it with a power washer at the quarter wash after getting it insanely muddy, but I'm :disappoint: with the CQuartz on the :truk:

It's :mindblown: on the :poorvette: doe. All I need to do is wash it with Reset shampoo and it looks freshly waxed. Super pleased with it in that case. I love not waxing it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:33 pm Another question, any pro tips for etched on bug removal from the front bumper? When I cleaned Allison's car I really struggled getting it off. Washed it, tried Tarminator, tried polish... I think it's just on there to stay, but maybe there's a secret method?

What kind of polish?
It's Meguirs, don't remember the exact polish, recommended by [user not found] here.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:22 pm

It's Meguirs, don't remember the exact polish, recommended by [user not found] here.
I use M101 and M205 depending on what I need to do. 101 is a cut compound where 205 is a final polish.

If you have actual etching, you're gonna need polish with a machine to level the surface back out.
:word:

The 205 is what I have... maybe I should try the 101. I do have a machine that I used.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Moved:

Anyone with some form of a pressure washer and wants to foam cannon :jizz: their car, these are on sale for $11 today.

https://www.amazon.com/DUSICHIN-SFL-001 ... 00WPKHFA6/

Works well.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 pm

You'll still need to prep it, I don't know how your paint was delivered, but you'll need some degree of polish work, then a garage to put it on. It is a :waxer: concept widely adopted by a number of forum members, Detroit and myself being the most prominent.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Cquartz-5 ... ic+coating

Z doesn't do this but that's because he's addicted to paint correction.
Yeah. I wanted to do it to the Forks when I first got it, then I didn't, and now it's too late. Needs too much correction now.
Same here with the :jeep: I also didn't have anywhere to let it cure for 24 hours..
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I should take the :jeep: to get detailed somewhere.. coming up on a year of ownership in two months which is :mindblown: goes by fast.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:15 am I should take the :jeep: to get detailed somewhere.. coming up on a year of ownership in two months which is :mindblown: goes by fast.
:notbad: at all :)
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:18 am Moved:

Anyone with some form of a pressure washer and wants to foam cannon :jizz: their car, these are on sale for $11 today.

Works well.
:rage:
Sorry! We couldn't find that page. Try searching or go to Amazon's home page.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

wap wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:18 am Moved:

Works well.
Sorry! We couldn't find that page. Try searching or go to Amazon's home page.
https://www.amazon.com/DUSICHIN-SFL-001 ... oam+cannon

blame DFD for cutting the link.

its also no longer $11.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm
wap wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm

https://www.amazon.com/DUSICHIN-SFL-001 ... oam+cannon

blame DFD for cutting the link.

its also no longer $11.
Oh well, thanks anyway.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

So, I think I was too hard on CQuartz on the truck earlier.

Some might recall that I was complaining of bird shit etching on the truck from when a splat bakes on under the sun for week. I cleaned a few off with quick detailer, and the paint etched underneath...or so I thought.

Big rain storm on Wednesday and :jesus: finally gave the truck a good bath. I went to look for the etching for some reason and it's gone. :wtf: not sure if it just etched the CQuartz or what, but after the heavy rain, water is beading again and I can't find any etching. Assume CQuartz is doing its job?

:mindblown:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:So, I think I was too hard on CQuartz on the truck earlier.

Some might recall that I was complaining of bird shit etching on the truck from when a splat bakes on under the sun for week. I cleaned a few off with quick detailer, and the paint etched underneath...or so I thought.

Big rain storm on Wednesday and :jesus: finally gave the truck a good bath. I went to look for the etching for some reason and it's gone. :wtf: not sure if it just etched the CQuartz or what, but after the heavy rain, water is beading again and I can't find any etching. Assume CQuartz is doing its job?

You were a victim of vigilante paint correction.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:09 am
Detroit wrote:So, I think I was too hard on CQuartz on the truck earlier.

You were a victim of vigilante paint correction.
:jesus: been taking notes from Zil.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

3 coats of Gyeon Mohs 16 months from application - this is just a rinse after two weeks, hadn't been shampooed yet. :notbad:

ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:08 pm 3 coats of Gyeon Mohs 16 months from application - this is just a rinse after two weeks, hadn't been shampooed yet. :notbad:

Does your car live outside?