Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Adam's flash sale? Don't mind if I do... :megusta:

Picking up some interior detailer, interior swabs, an interior brush, some more nice microfibers, eco wheel cleaner, and their nice trunk organizer / shoulder bag.

Never tried their eco wheel cleaner but I love their regular wheel cleaner so I'll give it a shot.

Interior stuff to get into the vents and little corners on the gauges... definitely not up to spec at the moment. Also gonna attack some scuffs on the plastics, hopefully I can make a difference on that.

Free bottle of detail spray too if you buy a certain amount :notbad:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

RLWake wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:26 pm Adam's flash sale? Don't mind if I do... :megusta:

Picking up some interior detailer, interior swabs, an interior brush, some more nice microfibers, eco wheel cleaner, and their nice trunk organizer / shoulder bag.

Never tried their eco wheel cleaner but I love their regular wheel cleaner so I'll give it a shot.

Interior stuff to get into the vents and little corners on the gauges... definitely not up to spec at the moment. Also gonna attack some scuffs on the plastics, hopefully I can make a difference on that.

How was that too down weather yesterday :iswydt:
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:45 pm
RLWake wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:26 pm Adam's flash sale? Don't mind if I do... :megusta:

Gorgeous, of course. Heated seats make all the difference in the world for having the top down and I'll be damned if i get rid of them.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Gorgeous, of course. Heated seats make all the difference in the world for having the top down and I'll be damned if i get rid of them.
That damn autocorrect :disgust:. My mom refused to give them up when she moved down there too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:06 pm
RLWake wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 pm

That damn autocorrect :disgust:. My mom refused to give them up when she moved down there too.
Heated seats are definitely :nice: , even in NC where it stays pretty mild most of the year. Haven't had them since my :mk6: :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Anyone have preferred touch up paint methods? I bondoed the :poorvette: where the fiberglass was cracked. Fortunately it's on the bottom/in the wheel-well so not visible, but I'd like to at least throw something on there. It is also scratched on the bottom from high centering in the parking lot of the apartment garage :disgust:

All told, it is probably too large an area for Dr. Colorchip maybe. I don't want to spend a fortune as the car gets beat on the track and it's out of sight. Also :scrooge:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:00 am Anyone have preferred touch up paint methods? I bondoed the :poorvette: where the fiberglass was cracked. Fortunately it's on the bottom/in the wheel-well so not visible, but I'd like to at least throw something on there. It is also scratched on the bottom from high centering in the parking lot of the apartment garage :disgust:

All told, it is probably too large an area for Dr. Colorchip maybe. I don't want to spend a fortune as the car gets beat on the track and it's out of sight. Also :scrooge:
Duplicolor (and probably others) make rattle can kits. Assuming it’s too large for a brush or pen, that’s probably your best bet
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:00 am Anyone have preferred touch up paint methods? I bondoed the :poorvette: where the fiberglass was cracked. Fortunately it's on the bottom/in the wheel-well so not visible, but I'd like to at least throw something on there. It is also scratched on the bottom from high centering in the parking lot of the apartment garage :disgust:

Paint Scratch and a lot of sandpaper.

Also, did you use a filler designed for fiberglass?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 am

Paint Scratch and a lot of sandpaper.

Also, did you use a filler designed for fiberglass?
According to the can, it's good for fiberglass :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also waxed the Beemah for the first time ever today, I've had it since November 2018 :yikes:

I realized that this was likely only my third or fourth hand wash of it as well... :triggered:

Now that we're settled into the house, that should get better. But for a DD, the drive through wash it serving it OK.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:26 pm Also waxed the Beemah for the first time ever today, I've had it since November 2018 :yikes:

I realized that this was likely only my third or fourth hand wash of it as well... :triggered:

Now that we're settled into the house, that should get better. But for a DD, the drive through wash it serving it OK.
:iono: Washing a car weekly is :fullretard: IMO you probably do more damage to the paint dragging the rags on it, 10 bucket method and all.

Clear coat is there for a reason, if it is of a good quality car needs a wash every year or so if you're in the non salt states and if no hard water hits it.

I have plenty of personal experience here where cars that literally never get a wash, and they clean up real nice. You can't DD and maintain a showroom finish, it is impossible unless you wanted to dedicate your life to your car... Which also doesn't make sense as driving it destroys it. :gaydance:
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:25 pm Image

Is this thing made in South Africa by :mahtroy: 's or Aryan angels in germany ?

The 335i that has the estoril blue metallic had the best paint I have ever had on a vehicle. Quite strange since I then had carbon black metallic, and that paint was only slightly better if at all than the 370z paint which was the worst I have ever had on a vehicle.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:25 pm Image

Is this thing made in South Africa by :mahtroy: 's or Aryan angels in germany ?

The 335i that has the estoril blue metallic had the best paint I have ever had on a vehicle. Quite strange since I then had carbon black metallic, and that paint was only slightly better if at all than the 370z paint which was the worst I have ever had on a vehicle.
It was made in ze motherland according to the stickers in the door jambs (sp?).

I was pretty happy with how it cleaned up. There are some rock chips (seems more prone to those than the C5, especially considering it only has maybe 32K miles now) but otherwise it looks really good, I was happy with the results for three hours of effort. I also detailed the interior yesterday. Now it can sit in the driveway and get dirty again since I don't drive.
max225

That's cool most 320/328/330s are made in South Africa! You got that enthusiast aryan spec.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:26 pm Also waxed the Beemah for the first time ever today, I've had it since November 2018 :yikes:

:iono: Washing a car weekly is :fullretard: IMO you probably do more damage to the paint dragging the rags on it, 10 bucket method and all.

Clear coat is there for a reason, if it is of a good quality car needs a wash every year or so if you're in the non salt states and if no hard water hits it.

I have plenty of personal experience here where cars that literally never get a wash, and they clean up real nice. You can't DD and maintain a showroom finish, it is impossible unless you wanted to dedicate your life to your car... Which also doesn't make sense as driving it destroys it. :gaydance:
23 year old me would spend a lot of time cleaning my car.

33 year old me does not spend that much time, at least on the daily. I had the GTI ceramic coated for that reason.

However, I have been taking the time to detail the fun cars. I'm working on the El Camino now.

max225

Yep I coated my mini myself last week. It was clean enough of a car to be able to do it without the $900 paint correction blah blah blah. But i have no illusions about the car, it is not a permanent fixture, it is not a museum piece. It is a daily driver... it will get dinged, bird shat on, rained on, hard water stained etc. That's just the nature of a vehicle as such.

Keeping a DD car cleaner than 99% of others is easy enough, that's a wash once a month or every 2 weeks. But anything beyond that presents an odd trade off IMO.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:51 pm Yep I coated my mini myself last week. It was clean enough of a car to be able to do it without the $900 paint correction blah blah blah. But i have no illusions about the car, it is not a permanent fixture, it is not a museum piece. It is a daily driver... it will get dinged, bird shat on, rained on, hard water stained etc. That's just the nature of a vehicle as such.

Keeping a DD car cleaner than 99% of others is easy enough, that's a wash once a month or every 2 weeks. But anything beyond that presents an odd trade off IMO.
I'm considering just not washing my car for till mid summer and getting another $100 detail :iono:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:54 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:51 pm Yep I coated my mini myself last week. It was clean enough of a car to be able to do it without the $900 paint correction blah blah blah. But i have no illusions about the car, it is not a permanent fixture, it is not a museum piece. It is a daily driver... it will get dinged, bird shat on, rained on, hard water stained etc. That's just the nature of a vehicle as such.

I'm considering just not washing my car for till mid summer and getting another $100 detail :iono:
I have never paid more than single digit $ for a car cleaning. It is a task I feel like I can do better than anything short of Zillspec pros which charge a paint job amount to do it "right"
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:58 pm

I have never paid more than single digit $ for a car cleaning. It is a task I feel like I can do better than anything short of Zillspec pros which charge a paint job amount to do it "right"
A basic automatic wash is usually $10 in flyover country.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:02 pm

How is it not $5-9 with "fuel purchase" ? Some hyper premium ones do go over $10 :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

My car typically looks like I paid a 5yo at some tee ball fundraiser to wash it after I'm done. I think the cost is worth it to see my car look better than I can ever do every once and a while.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:02 pm

How is it not $5-9 with "fuel purchase" ? Some hyper premium ones do go over $10 :doe:
Supply and demand bro. Most people outside of metro Detroit both don't have money and don't give a fuck about cars, so car washes are a luxury service. They can't price them low and make it up in volume, there is no volume to be found.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:14 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Supply and demand bro. Most people outside of metro Detroit both don't have money and don't give a fuck about cars, so car washes are a luxury service. They can't price them low and make it up in volume, there is no volume to be found.
Then that should mean y'all should be paying $10 for a gallon of gas then... if i was to follow that logic.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:18 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:14 pm

Then that should mean y'all should be paying $10 for a gallon of gas then... if i was to follow that logic.
You NEED to drive a :truk: to live in flyover country. You do not need it to be clean.