Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I use that "Cockpit Premium" stuff on the entire interior except for glass/carpet. Seems fine. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:37 am I use that "Cockpit Premium" stuff on the entire interior except for glass/carpet. Seems fine. :iono:
https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9247051 ... B0002Z2MZ4

:dat: ?

Looks like good stuff.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 am What's the hotness for interior panel cleaning/treatment these days? The bottle of Vinylex that I've had forever is just about gone, and I was going to buy another one until I saw the photos on amazon promoting use on a C5 door panel taken in the late 90's. I've always liked the way the stuff cleans and treats interior panels, but wondering if there's anything better these days since I'm buying something anyway.
I usually just use water with a little bit of rinseless wash to clean all the plastics. I use Griots interior cleaner and leather cleaner/conditioner which has worked well.
My biggest thing is some sort of conditioner/protectant for the interior plastics in the :jeep: s because they see a lot more sun and dust/dirt than my past vehicles.

I think this cockpit premium stuff might do it for me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:37 am I use that "Cockpit Premium" stuff on the entire interior except for glass/carpet. Seems fine. :iono:

Looks like good stuff.
Yep that one, been using it on all interior plastic/vinyl stuff for years since IIRC [user not found] mentioned it on golfmk6. Most "leather" is also basically plastic too.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:24 pm

Looks like good stuff.
Yep that one, been using it on all interior plastic/vinyl stuff for years since IIRC [user not found] mentioned it on golfmk6. Most "leather" is also basically plastic too.
Yea, there's very little leather in cars anymore.

What's amazing is how good vinyl/plastic material is these days. Last fall, I had a material engineer give me two material samples, one a fancy vinyl and one a fancy leather. He asked me to identify the real leather and I got it wrong. I was :minblown:

Vinyl is better for the environment and can wear better than leather too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:27 pm

Yea, there's very little leather in cars anymore.

What's amazing is how good vinyl/plastic material is these days. Last fall, I had a material engineer give me two material samples, one a fancy vinyl and one a fancy leather. He asked me to identify the real leather and I got it wrong. I was :minblown:

Vinyl is better for the environment and can wear better than leather too.
:dat: The Sensatec in my 328i was fantastic. Would take over leather any day.
troyguitar

What the plastic doesn't do is breathe well, but most leather now is coated in so much plastic that it doesn't breathe well either so it is all the same. :thisisfine: :sweaty:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:12 pm What the plastic doesn't do is breathe well, but most leather now is coated in so much plastic that it doesn't breathe well either so it is all the same. :thisisfine: :sweaty:
It's why I really don't like "leather" seats and go for cloth whenever possible.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Looks like good stuff.
I like that stuff, too. Leaves a nice matt finish, no shine.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Looks like good stuff.
I think that's when I first bought it, too. :lol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 am What's the hotness for interior panel cleaning/treatment these days? The bottle of Vinylex that I've had forever is just about gone, and I was going to buy another one until I saw the photos on amazon promoting use on a C5 door panel taken in the late 90's. I've always liked the way the stuff cleans and treats interior panels, but wondering if there's anything better these days since I'm buying something anyway.
Microfiber towel. Water with a couple drops of mild dish soap. That's it.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Microfiber towel. Water with a couple drops of mild dish soap. That's it.
Dish soap strips the oils off of the plastic, would not advise. Straight water would be better.
Interesting. Never noticed a problem. But will keep in mind.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

This whole detailing business thing has been pretty damn nice lately. $600 for about 10-12hrs of work aint bad.

:jimp: :jimp: :jimp:

Satisfying as fuck too. I’ll post whole car pics tomorrow morning when the sun comes up.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:32 pm
RLWake wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:21 pm This whole detailing business thing has been pretty damn nice lately. $600 for about 10-12hrs of work aint bad.

:jimp: :jimp: :jimp:

Satisfying as fuck too. I’ll post whole car pics tomorrow morning when the sun comes up.
:nice:

You have a garage at your disposal?
I do but I’m going to :hibachi: the fuck outta that until it’s somewhat done. I only moved into my new place a little less than a month ago. The detailing biz is financing the garage and everything in it!
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gotta love it! 3 step paint correction and 3yr coating.
wap

That looks great.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Took the :gorf: through a touchless wash today and woof, I really need a correction.

IIRC, I used Griots pads with meguiars ultimate polish on the last R a while ago but wasn't really impressed with the results. It barely removed any swirls although I don't know if that was due to the pad, the product, or me.

I see there are specific "swirl remover" products but are any different from regular polish?

Once the weather warms up I really want to fix up the alpo :gorf: with new pads so I'm thinking to clay > polish > sealant instead of wax?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:popcorn:

I should do a midlife paint correction and sealant of some sort. I'm kind of thinking about ceramic coating, but I've only been impressed with the professional application on my MK6. The retail CKquartz stuff lasted a few months without any reload applications.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:12 am :popcorn:

I should do a midlife paint correction and sealant of some sort. I'm kind of thinking about ceramic coating, but I've only been impressed with the professional application on my MK6. The retail CKquartz stuff lasted a few months without any reload applications.
The local place near me charges ~$700 for a correction and cquartz application.

I also see adams has a new graphene ceramic that's supposed to last longer? The ceramics always scared me because I don't want to seal in imperfections.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 am

I'm very happy with the Gtechniq Wheel Armour I put on the wheels of the wife's MINI - been nearly a year, 12k miles of abuse, and it's working wonderfully.

That MINI brake dust is a bitch, normally. Not with this stuff on the finish.
Do you still use the lake country pads? Does the orange cut well enough for swirls? And what about microfiber pads?

https://smile.amazon.com/Lake-Country-M ... 174&sr=8-3
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

CQuartz should be lasting you at least 2 years if you're doing it right.

I use Gtechniq coatings myself. Never had a problem with the longevity of those.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:15 am

I'm very happy with the Gtechniq Wheel Armour I put on the wheels of the wife's MINI - been nearly a year, 12k miles of abuse, and it's working wonderfully.

Do you still use the lake country pads? Does the orange cut well enough for swirls? And what about microfiber pads?

I'm a huge believer in the RUPES system. DA Coarse and a Blue Foam or Blue Wool pad for cutting. Wool will hit swirls like a freight train, while the foam will still work great but only hit like a bus rather than a train. After that, follow up with DA Fine and a Yellow Foam pad. Works like a charm.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 am

The local place near me charges ~$700 for a correction and cquartz application.

I also see adams has a new graphene ceramic that's supposed to last longer? The ceramics always scared me because I don't want to seal in imperfections.
As a guy who has done a massive amount of research into coatings... I call massive :poop: on the Adam's Graphene. It's a good coating, sure, but the graphene oxides in them are a marketing buzz thing and really don't actually add much.

If you want a long lasting coating, go with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. Top it with EXOv4.

Just make sure that you correct the paint to your satisfaction before putting it on. You also MUST use Gtechniq Panel Wipe before applying the coating. It removes any excess residues, etc that might prevent the coating from bonding correctly. It will also show you the REAL finish of the surface... the pros tend to call Panel Wipe "truth serum" because it wipes away all fillers.

If you do it by the book, paint correction and coating DIY is nothing to be afraid of. I can offer you plenty of advice on how to do it correctly. Feel free to send me a message at any time or post here and we'll talk.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor is a great product. You can use CSL on the wheels too, but C5 is just plain easy.

Also it's all fun and games until a customer wants you to coat a set of his Rotiform LASR's... god that took forever. So many spokes, nooks, and crannies :nope:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:22 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:15 am

I switched to the Lake Country SDO pads: https://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-s ... h-pds.html

Blue pad with Megs 105, Orange pad with Megs 205. Black pad for wax/sealant. Done.
What's your sealant of choice nowadays?