Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:47 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:33 am

I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll stop and get a new tire brush at wallyworld. A once over with the car shampoo isn't a bad idea after the wash is finished.
Use a brush like that one and it should work. Mine has the white bristles and when I've scrubbed a tire on the JL or the ZR2 the bristles are brown until I dunk it back into the tire/wheel bucket.

Oh yeah... make sure you have a separate bucket for your tire and wheel brushes.
Definitely keeping them separate.

The brush I have is very old so maybe that's it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:33 am

I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll stop and get a new tire brush at wallyworld. A once over with the car shampoo isn't a bad idea after the wash is finished.
Use a brush like that one and it should work. Mine has the white bristles and when I've scrubbed a tire on the JL or the ZR2 the bristles are brown until I dunk it back into the tire/wheel bucket.

Oh yeah... make sure you have a separate bucket for your tire and wheel brushes.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:30 am

:lolol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

How did you get that clip of my neighbor?

:impressive:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:45 am

How did you get that clip of my neighbor?

:impressive:
I am neighbor

:hai:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Looking for advice on how to remove offroad pin striping. I used to just use scratch x on small areas, but my truck has quite a bit of it, and I want to get as much out as I can before lease turn-in.

I've got a DA, so that with what... Meg 105 or something? I don't care about the lasting paint quality obviously, I just want it to shine with minimal "scratches" (nothing is through the clear) when I return it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:32 am Looking for advice on how to remove offroad pin striping. I used to just use scratch x on small areas, but my truck has quite a bit of it, and I want to get as much out as I can before lease turn-in.

I've got a DA, so that with what... Meg 105 or something? I don't care about the lasting paint quality obviously, I just want it to shine with minimal "scratches" (nothing is through the clear) when I return it.
Try the M105, if they're just light pinstripes it should get most of everything out.

You may need a heavier cut with M101, then finish with M105 if the 105 doesn't remove the stripes.
Danke

I don't have any severe stripes...I can't even feel any with my hands of even come close to catching with a fingernail. 105 should do it, I'll start there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:32 am Looking for advice on how to remove offroad pin striping. I used to just use scratch x on small areas, but my truck has quite a bit of it, and I want to get as much out as I can before lease turn-in.

Try the M105, if they're just light pinstripes it should get most of everything out.

You may need a heavier cut with M101, then finish with M105 if the 105 doesn't remove the stripes.
:dat:

M101 will leave the finish slightly dull, so if you need to step up to M101 make sure you finish with M105 so when you get it into the sun all the panels are equally shiny.

Watch your pads too, don't use anything too aggressive.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:34 am

M101 will leave the finish slightly dull, so if you need to step up to M101 make sure you finish with M105 so when you get it into the sun all the panels are equally shiny.

Reco on pads? I need to buy some.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:45 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:34 am

Go as light as you can first and see how it works.

I use the Lake Country CCS pads and even on my totally screwed up Cherokee Trail Hawk I only needed to start with a white pad to see results, then finished with the black pad.

If the pad you have isn't cutting it (hah), step up in aggressiveness.

I'm in the cautious camp though and don't want to end up making 5 passes to correct me going too aggressive from the get go.

This page describes the LC CCS pad colors/uses: https://www.autogeek.net/ccs-polishing-how-to.html
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:56 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:45 am
Go as light as you can first and see how it works.

I use the Lake Country CCS pads and even on my totally screwed up Cherokee Trail Hawk I only needed to start with a white pad to see results, then finished with the black pad.

If the pad you have isn't cutting it (hah), step up in aggressiveness.

I'm in the cautious camp though and don't want to end up making 5 passes to correct me going too aggressive from the get go.

This page describes the LC CCS pad colors/uses: https://www.autogeek.net/ccs-polishing-how-to.html
Fantastic. Thanks man
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Would clear nail polish not work? Asking for a friend
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:12 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:40 am Would clear nail polish not work? Asking for a friend
For what, exactly?
Filling in the scratches?

Asking for a friend
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:36 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:12 pm

For what, exactly?

Asking for a friend
I'm going to say no and that you'd be better off with real touch up paint and polishing it down.

I did this with Dr. ColorChip on my C6GS for a nasty scratch. I build up the paint over the surface of the factory paint and used a bit of wet sanding and compound then polish to make it disappear.

I think that nail polish on a scratch is just going to make it look like a scratch you tried to hide, poorly.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gotcha
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:36 pm

Asking for a friend
I'm going to say no and that you'd be better off with real touch up paint and polishing it down.

I did this with Dr. ColorChip on my C6GS for a nasty scratch. I build up the paint over the surface of the factory paint and used a bit of wet sanding and compound then polish to make it disappear.

I think that nail polish on a scratch is just going to make it look like a scratch you tried to hide, poorly.
I've got a scratch on the Volt I'd like to do with this.

Did you built it up gradually by filling and blending flat over and over or just blob on, let dry, wet sand, then cut/polish?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:04 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Did you built it up gradually by filling and blending flat over and over or just blob on, let dry, wet sand, then cut/polish?
I did two applications so I didn't have any air in the blob. Then just add you said.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:04 pm

I did two applications so I didn't have any air in the blob. Then just add you said.
Very good. I need to try this. I've got about 4 applications on the scratch now, and I'm actually surprised how good it looks. Biggest thing now is just to bring the level even with the rest of the paint. A very slight blob let to dry and wet sanded would probably do the trick.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:57 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Very good. I need to try this. I've got about 4 applications on the scratch now, and I'm actually surprised how good it looks. Biggest thing now is just to bring the level even with the rest of the paint. A very slight blob let to dry and wet sanded would probably do the trick.
Thanks for taking such good care of my next :plac: purchase.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:57 pm
:ohdang: still interested eh?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:14 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Yes. I've made no progress on fixing my :truk:

SOOOOOO

My dad's co-worker came over and he has a '17 base model and he got me all HYPE. He confirmed the 60-70 miles per charge even around the burbs where I live and work.
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:14 pm

SOOOOOO
:nice:

Timeframe has been pushed back a bit once :tits: learned that JL's will come in Sarge Green toward the end of the year. She wants to see one of those now before making a :plac: move.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:20 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:19 pm

SOOOOOO

Timeframe has been pushed back a bit once :tits: learned that JL's will come in Sarge Green toward the end of the year. She wants to see one of those now before making a :plac: move.
Gotcha. Well I need to fix the truck to sell it for any reasonable amount of cash anyways so I'm not real worried. Plus I'd really rather take the Volt with me when I move over my truck. At 185k miles I have 100% confidence that the engine will remain a beast, but nothing else.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Gotcha. Well I need to fix the truck to sell it for any reasonable amount of cash anyways so I'm not real worried. Plus I'd really rather take the Volt with me when I move over my truck. At 185k miles I have 100% confidence that the engine will remain a beast, but nothing else.
Will keep you posted.