Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

What are ya'll using for pads on a DA? I'm going to give that a shot this time around for Image with my :truk:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Hazard Fraught. :scrooge:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:48 pm Hazard Fraught. :scrooge:
:dat:

:doomed:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:48 pm Hazard Fraught. :scrooge:

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:55 pm

:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

There's more of those. Just Google hazard fraught flyer. Fucking hilarious
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I love harbor freight
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:02 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:52 am What about skipping the ceramic and just doing a sealant like klasse? I'm not really picky about the perfection of the finish. This is a DD that will sit outside 95% of the time. My main reason for doing ceramic was to make washes easier and make it look good for the 3 years I have it. I was expecting 4-600 but I'm not paying 1k + for a glorified rental.

I was super happy with my GTI and I just used iron x collinite 845. But it was white and I was thinking with black it would be a little more intensive
The tried and true combo of Jescar Powerlock under 845 is a great solution for a DD. Top the car with something like Bead Maker after every wash and you're good to go. Just a one step finishing polish first won't get out the deepest scratches, but it'll give you a good, clean finish for the sealant to bond to and give the car a beautiful depth of shine and color that a coating won't match.
So I went with your suggestion. May try to apply it this weekend. Jescar and 845. I won't be able to polish it because I don't have the tools but hopefully it will look nice enough
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:22 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:02 am

The tried and true combo of Jescar Powerlock under 845 is a great solution for a DD. Top the car with something like Bead Maker after every wash and you're good to go. Just a one step finishing polish first won't get out the deepest scratches, but it'll give you a good, clean finish for the sealant to bond to and give the car a beautiful depth of shine and color that a coating won't match.
So I went with your suggestion. May try to apply it this weekend. Jescar and 845. I won't be able to polish it because I don't have the tools but hopefully it will look nice enough
Nice! A full polish shouldn't be necessary, but I'd do a treatment of something like CarPro IronX and then do a wipe-down with a product like CarPro Eraser to make sure you have a nice, contaminant-free surface for the Powerlock to bond to.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:58 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:22 pm

Nice! A full polish shouldn't be necessary, but I'd do a treatment of something like CarPro IronX and then do a wipe-down with a product like CarPro Eraser to make sure you have a nice, contaminant-free surface for the Powerlock to bond to.
Do they come from the factory with any kind of finish I need to strip off? I don't have any eraser but I do have some ironX laying around. I'm going to wash with Dawn dish soap to strip whatever is on it, if anything.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:20 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:58 pm

Do they come from the factory with any kind of finish I need to strip off? I don't have any eraser but I do have some ironX laying around. I'm going to wash with Dawn dish soap to strip whatever is on it, if anything.
Eraser is more important if you're polishing the car, but it's still not a bad idea. Probably not mandatory, though.

Just wash the car like you would normally, rinse, then dry off the car most of the way with one towel. Cover the car with IronX and let is set for maybe 5 minutes, then rinse or rewash and dry the vehicle completely. You'd be ready for polish at this point, but since you're skipping that step I'd just go straight to applying the Power Lock.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:45 am

Eraser is more important if you're polishing the car, but it's still not a bad idea. Probably not mandatory, though.

Just wash the car like you would normally, rinse, then dry off the car most of the way with one towel. Cover the car with IronX and let is set for maybe 5 minutes, then rinse or rewash and dry the vehicle completely. You'd be ready for polish at this point, but since you're skipping that step I'd just go straight to applying the Power Lock.
Thanks for the step by step, I appreciate it. The process has always been a little confusing to me.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Finally did this and I looks great. Thanks for the tips. I'm afraid I didn't use enough sealant on a few panels when I started and that I also didn't wait long enough before waxing. So longevity may be an issue. But looks aren't.

I didn't realize how metallic the paint was. Looks super glittery in direct sunlight.

It is sooo slick to the touch.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Finally did this and I looks great. Thanks for the tips. I'm afraid I didn't use enough sealant on a few panels when I started and that I also didn't wait long enough before waxing. So longevity may be an issue. But looks aren't.

I didn't realize how metallic the paint was. Looks super glittery in direct sunlight.

Pix
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Pix
Not a lot to see in photos but im happy and it was worth the time.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I just love that :truk:

My dad's 300 has tons of flake in it too.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 pm I just love that :truk:

Thanks dude. It's really nice. Is the 300 new? Weren't you trying to convince him to drive a Ram?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:26 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 pm I just love that :truk:

Thanks dude. It's really nice. Is the 300 new? Weren't you trying to convince him to drive a Ram?
It's a 2018. I convinced him not to drive one because he would want one, and can't afford it.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:00 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:26 pm

It's a 2018. I convinced him not to drive one because he would want one, and can't afford it.
Sun was hitting it just right this morning

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:31 am

Dammmmmnnn :nice:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:31 am

:amaze:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Anyone have a good tire cleaner? I scrub the tire with a pretty stiff bristled brush using mothers wheel and tire cleaner but it never seems to do the job. I drench the tire in the cleaner and scrub until there's no brown left. However, once it's dry it still looks terrible.

I picked up some of the chemical guys VRP tire dressing that seems pretty good. Just need a clean tire to apply it to.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:33 am Anyone have a good tire cleaner? I scrub the tire with a pretty stiff bristled brush using mothers wheel and tire cleaner but it never seems to do the job. I drench the tire in the cleaner and scrub until there's no brown left. However, once it's dry it still looks terrible.

I picked up some of the chemical guys VRP tire dressing that seems pretty good. Just need a clean tire to apply it to.
I use Sonax+ wheel cleaner and sometimes spray some on the tires and let it dwell about 1-2 minutes, other times I just use my normal shampoo then hit the tires with an older version of this brush (just looks a bit different): https://www.amazon.com/Maxshine-Handled ... pons&psc=1

Even a clean-ish tire has dirt rolling off of it after this cleaning. Just need to put some pressure on the brush if the tires are really bad.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:42 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:33 am Anyone have a good tire cleaner? I scrub the tire with a pretty stiff bristled brush using mothers wheel and tire cleaner but it never seems to do the job. I drench the tire in the cleaner and scrub until there's no brown left. However, once it's dry it still looks terrible.

I use Sonax+ wheel cleaner and sometimes spray some on the tires and let it dwell about 1-2 minutes, other times I just use my normal shampoo then hit the tires with an older version of this brush (just looks a bit different): https://www.amazon.com/Maxshine-Handled ... pons&psc=1

Even a clean-ish tire has dirt rolling off of it after this cleaning. Just need to put some pressure on the brush if the tires are really bad.
I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll stop and get a new tire brush at wallyworld. A once over with the car shampoo isn't a bad idea after the wash is finished.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:33 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:42 am

I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll stop and get a new tire brush at wallyworld. A once over with the car shampoo isn't a bad idea after the wash is finished.
Use a brush like that one and it should work. Mine has the white bristles and when I've scrubbed a tire on the JL or the ZR2 the bristles are brown until I dunk it back into the tire/wheel bucket.

Oh yeah... make sure you have a separate bucket for your tire and wheel brushes.