Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

So I've had these ammo videos in my water later playlist forever and finally got around to watching them. This frothe stuff looks amazing. Perfect for winter washes.

I'm considering ordering the kit. Anyone use it or have other alternatives for when no hose is available?

https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/hoseless-lift-kit-150/

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:17 am So I've had these ammo videos in my water later playlist forever and finally got around to watching them. This frothe stuff looks amazing. Perfect for winter washes.

I'm considering ordering the kit. Anyone use it or have other alternatives for when no hose is available?

Larry's stuff isn't bad, and that looks decent from the vids.. I like the light foaming action.

His kit is adding $25 for the towels, so if you have good MF I'd pass on the kit and get the Frothe and Aerator ala carte.

I'd be tempted to try it, but honestly have no issues using Optimum No Rinse in a good regular sprayer with a bucket of dry MF towels. I might want more foaming action if I lived in the snow where there is salt on the roads... but not sure I would trust a rinse-free wash in that scenario.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:39 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:17 am So I've had these ammo videos in my water later playlist forever and finally got around to watching them. This frothe stuff looks amazing. Perfect for winter washes.

Larry's stuff isn't bad, and that looks decent from the vids.. I like the light foaming action.

His kit is adding $25 for the towels, so if you have good MF I'd pass on the kit and get the Frothe and Aerator ala carte.

I'd be tempted to try it, but honestly have no issues using Optimum No Rinse in a good regular sprayer with a bucket of dry MF towels. I might want more foaming action if I lived in the snow where there is salt on the roads... but not sure I would trust a rinse-free wash in that scenario.
Yeah I was thinking of buying the stuff separately but I could probably use some more microfibers.

I might give his hydrate quick detailer a shot too.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Dr. Colorchip is having a sale with 15% off.

FLASH SALE - 15% Off All Paint Repair Kits and Premium Packages !
(Including Sale Items)

Enter Code FLASH at Checkout

Offer Ends Midnight March 14, 2019

www.drcolorchip.com
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Im going to Cquartz the new truck. Where do you guys get your supply?

Not sure if I need to prep the new paint or not. Looks pretty good.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:37 pm Im going to Cquartz the new truck. Where do you guys get your supply?

:hai: , what truck did you get? Link to pics/thead?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:22 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:37 pm Im going to Cquartz the new truck. Where do you guys get your supply?

Ram 1500 Laramie. The black looks good now but I know it's going to be a lot of work to keep it up.

Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I just got the 30 or 50ml version from Amazon. Can't remember which. I do remember it was about $30-40 or so. I was able to do the corvette wheels and the whole car, and pieces of another car and pieces of my truck with it. Still holding up nice a year later (It's garaged and gets rised and wiped when dirty after autocross events)
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:34 pm

I just got the 30 or 50ml version from Amazon. Can't remember which. I do remember it was about $30-40 or so. I was able to do the corvette wheels and the whole car, and pieces of another car and pieces of my truck with it. Still holding up nice a year later (It's garaged and gets rised and wiped when dirty after autocross events)
Yeah I read your post and watched your videos in this thread. What it did to the wheels is amazing.

I looked into getting it done by a detailer and the prices start at $399. I'm sure for a full size crew cab it'll be 600.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:25 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Ram 1500 Laramie. The black looks good now but I know it's going to be a lot of work to keep it up.

Oh nice! That looks :tits:

How are you liking it so far?

Does it come with a decent head unit?
Acid666

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:43 pm
Acid666 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:34 pm

Yeah I read your post and watched your videos in this thread. What it did to the wheels is amazing.

I looked into getting it done by a detailer and the prices start at $399. I'm sure for a full size crew cab it'll be 600.
The difference with getting it done at a detailer or a shop that's a licensed vendor for those products is that you're going to get a dramatically better product than what we plebeians get off the shelf or can order online. It's far superior, and usually comes with a warranty. The stuff I used is great, but it's a budget version. When I got quotes to do my whole car, they started around $1K for Opticote, and there was a newer version of a different product my guy got approved for that would of been about $700 that he recommended since my car is garaged and taken care of and not a daily driver.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:56 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Oh nice! That looks :tits:

How are you liking it so far?

Does it come with a decent head unit?
Its a great truck. Very comfortable. Interior is superior. It's my first full size truck so it's taking some time get used to it's size.

The head unit is :notbad: . Uconnect system in FCA is very good. Very snappy. Could use more power as far as the tunes go. I didn't go for the 12in screen doe. That's a surprisingly affordable option. I bet they sell a lot of those but I opted for the 8.4 inch screen. 90% of the time I'm listening to podcast anyway via Android auto.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:03 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:43 pm

The difference with getting it done at a detailer or a shop that's a licensed vendor for those products is that you're going to get a dramatically better product than what we plebeians get off the shelf or can order online. It's far superior, and usually comes with a warranty. The stuff I used is great, but it's a budget version. When I got quotes to do my whole car, they started around $1K for Opticote, and there was a newer version of a different product my guy got approved for that would of been about $700 that he recommended since my car is garaged and taken care of and not a daily driver.
Interesting. Well I sent out a email request for a quote so we'll see what they come back with. Sounds like I should ask about any warranties and what products they are using.

I need to Google opticote and see if there is a licensed vendor near by
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

i washed the cars. badly. missed spots. still look ok. :aintcare:
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:26 pm
Acid666 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Interesting. Well I sent out a email request for a quote so we'll see what they come back with. Sounds like I should ask about any warranties and what products they are using.

I need to Google opticote and see if there is a licensed vendor near by
Cquartz is better, IMO. I've run Opticoat, Cquartz UK, Cquartz Finest and Cquartz Finest Reserve on my cars.

There are many levels of Cquartz, consumer and professional grades. My friend charges me over $2,000 to do my cars, but that includes many hours of paint correction and decontamination first followed up with Cquartz Finest Reserve, usually he works on my car for about 1.5 weeks. Would normally cost a stranger $3200-$3500 or more if the car isn't new.

Please, Please, Please... do some kind of paint correction before you put a coating on it. I guarantee you that your black truck has a ton of swirl marks on it, they just might be hidden by a glaze coat the dealership put on it. If you use a decon chemical like Iron-X on it and hit it with IPA or Carpro Eraser, I guarantee you will see the flaws in the sun or under a light. Fix those, then coat it. You don't want the coating locking in those marks until you decide to "grind off" the coating with a polisher and compound.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I wouldn't bother with consumer grade coating on a vehicle that will be parked outside most of its life. I spent a few days straight when I first got my ZR2 doing paint correction then 2 coats of CQuartz. Looked fantastic for about 6 months, then it seems the coating just wore away. I stopped caring because it's a lease that's going back.

I did CQuartz on my :poorvette: that's in the garage most of the time, and I haven't had to do anything other than wash it in the 3 years since I applied it. That's truly outstanding.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:02 am I wouldn't bother with consumer grade coating on a vehicle that will be parked outside most of its life. I spent a few days straight when I first got my ZR2 doing paint correction then 2 coats of CQuartz. Looked fantastic for about 6 months, then it seems the coating just wore away. I stopped caring because it's a lease that's going back.

I did CQuartz on my :poorvette: that's in the garage most of the time, and I haven't had to do anything other than wash it in the 3 years since I applied it. That's truly outstanding.
Yes, the commercial stuff won't last like the pro stuff on cars out in the elements. Washing with Reset soap and using Reload will extend the life though. Even the Pro stuff only lasts about 2 years on cars that are outside all of the time.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:33 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:02 am I wouldn't bother with consumer grade coating on a vehicle that will be parked outside most of its life. I spent a few days straight when I first got my ZR2 doing paint correction then 2 coats of CQuartz. Looked fantastic for about 6 months, then it seems the coating just wore away. I stopped caring because it's a lease that's going back.

Yes, the commercial stuff won't last like the pro stuff on cars out in the elements. Washing with Reset soap and using Reload will extend the life though. Even the Pro stuff only lasts about 2 years on cars that are outside all of the time.
2 years is fantastic IMO.

I use reset and reload with all the cars. Love that stuff.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

I'd still use Cquartz on a daily. It's just like a semi permanent wax and will help it bead up for longer to where you don't have to keep up with the wax. I also got the Adam's paint sealer and tried that on my hood and in the door jams and shit and it works for a few months. I wash my truck maybe twice a year. IDGAF about the exterior but I did have some spots worn down past the clear coat so I'd coat it just to help prevent it getting a little deeper for a little while.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:41 am I'd still use Cquartz on a daily. It's just like a semi permanent wax and will help it bead up for longer to where you don't have to keep up with the wax. I also got the Adam's paint sealer and tried that on my hood and in the door jams and shit and it works for a few months. I wash my truck maybe twice a year. IDGAF about the exterior but I did have some spots worn down past the clear coat so I'd coat it just to help prevent it getting a little deeper for a little while.
I think I'd rather just wax it every few months. Doing CQuartz right is a lot of effort if it's only going to last 6 mos (like it did on my truck).
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

What about skipping the ceramic and just doing a sealant like klasse? I'm not really picky about the perfection of the finish. This is a DD that will sit outside 95% of the time. My main reason for doing ceramic was to make washes easier and make it look good for the 3 years I have it. I was expecting 4-600 but I'm not paying 1k + for a glorified rental.

I was super happy with my GTI and I just used iron x collinite 845. But it was white and I was thinking with black it would be a little more intensive
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:52 am What about skipping the ceramic and just doing a sealant like klasse? I'm not really picky about the perfection of the finish. This is a DD that will sit outside 95% of the time. My main reason for doing ceramic was to make washes easier and make it look good for the 3 years I have it. I was expecting 4-600 but I'm not paying 1k + for a glorified rental.

I was super happy with my GTI and I just used iron x collinite 845. But it was white and I was thinking with black it would be a little more intensive
I'd probably just wash it frequently and find an easy to apply spray wax or something to finish with.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:52 am What about skipping the ceramic and just doing a sealant like klasse? I'm not really picky about the perfection of the finish. This is a DD that will sit outside 95% of the time. My main reason for doing ceramic was to make washes easier and make it look good for the 3 years I have it. I was expecting 4-600 but I'm not paying 1k + for a glorified rental.

The tried and true combo of Jescar Powerlock under 845 is a great solution for a DD. Top the car with something like Bead Maker after every wash and you're good to go. Just a one step finishing polish first won't get out the deepest scratches, but it'll give you a good, clean finish for the sealant to bond to and give the car a beautiful depth of shine and color that a coating won't match.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:41 am I'd still use Cquartz on a daily. It's just like a semi permanent wax and will help it bead up for longer to where you don't have to keep up with the wax. I also got the Adam's paint sealer and tried that on my hood and in the door jams and shit and it works for a few months. I wash my truck maybe twice a year. IDGAF about the exterior but I did have some spots worn down past the clear coat so I'd coat it just to help prevent it getting a little deeper for a little while.
I think I'd rather just wax it every few months. Doing CQuartz right is a lot of effort if it's only going to last 6 mos (like it did on my truck).
But part of the effort inherent in CQuartz application is taking care of all of the blemishes/removing crap/removing swirls.......which in turn is keeping your rig looking tight. You have time for what you have time for, but I do a lot of work removing any blemishes before I wax as well.........and if you polish/glaze/wax that is no different that polishing and Cquartzing, in fact its more effort.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 am
But part of the effort inherent in CQuartz application is taking care of all of the blemishes/removing crap/removing swirls.......which in turn is keeping your rig looking tight. You have time for what you have time for, but I do a lot of work removing any blemishes before I wax as well.........and if you polish/glaze/wax that is no different that polishing and Cquartzing, in fact its more effort.
I don't put the same amount of effort into paint correction when waxing as I do for CQuartz. Indeed, that's a good thing to do, but if the coating is only going to last 6 months on a lease, I'd be spending less time on it, personally.