Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 am
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 am

Perhaps a separate debate at that point by why not RV then ? that's just nuts. towed a 29' er and that trailer is pretty enormous it made navigating the streets nearly impossible. I can't imagine 40' + 2' more feet of truck 
Was looking at class A motorhomes, but then you really need to trailer a car or Jeep behind if you want to go anywhere when you get to the general area.. with a 5th
wheel you just unhook and drive into town in the truck.
:dat: 5th wheel > Class A RV. Dear God if anyone is seriously considering one, please talk to me first.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 am :notbad:Image
:lolgasm: :truckyeah:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 am

Was looking at class A motorhomes, but then you really need to trailer a car or Jeep behind if you want to go anywhere when you get to the general area.. with a 5th
wheel you just unhook and drive into town in the truck.
:dat: 5th wheel > Class A RV. Dear God if anyone is seriously considering one, please talk to me first.

Seriously... if you have time, compose a post with your thoughts.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

We had a few motorhomes used largely for kart racing. They were pretty great for that. If you want to have a highway vehicle, a living space, and toys all with you at once it is hard to do that with anything else. Skip the toys and then Zilchbro is right.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:36 am We had a few motorhomes used largely for kart racing. They were pretty great for that. If you want to have a highway vehicle, a living space, and toys all with you at once it is hard to do that with anything else. Skip the toys and then Zilchbro is right.
There's some hybrid 5th wheels that shrink a couple things but put a toy hauler garage in the back. There's even some Class A's with a garage...

The one thing that we noticed all Class A's that are less than $500k are missing is a real oven. They all just use a microwave convection combo. All of the 5th wheels we've been taking notes on have both the microwave and real oven on.. and most are full-size residential appliances.
troyguitar

You can end up with quite a :dedong: rig that doesn't fit many places if you go too far. It's usually better to have multiple smaller components than one big all-in-one solution. There are so many varied use cases though that it's tough to really advise anyone without a lot of details on where you are going and what you want to do there.

Even with an infinite :waxer: budget some rigs are just a PITA once you are off the interstate.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 am You can end up with quite a :dedong: rig that doesn't fit many places if you go too far. It's usually better to have multiple smaller components than one big all-in-one solution. There are so many varied use cases though that it's tough to really advise anyone without a lot of details on where you are going and what you want to do there.

Even with an infinite :waxer: budget some rigs are just a PITA once you are off the interstate.
Agreed.

The biggest concern now is the size and where it will be allowed, or even easily fit.

We want this to be a fun thing, not a source of frustration when we get where we're going.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:33 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 am

Seriously... if you have time, compose a post with your thoughts.
I spent a portion of my career negotiating settlements and buy-backs of these things on behalf of the Company. The engine was usually only a small part of the customer's issues. If you keep your expectations in line with what you're actually buying, they're ok. And to be fair, I saw the worst of the worst - the majority of owners are pretty happy with their purchases.

Remember that you're spending north of 6 figures for a vehicle that's built with particle board and plywood, and like Ikea furniture, the more they get moved, the more they fall apart. Squeaks, rattles, ill fitting doors, latches that need alignment, etc, etc..

More stuff to cause a breakdown, harder to find a tow company, and when you do be prepared to spend at least $2k to get it to a shop, then be prepared to pay a premium for labor because it's an RV and it's probably going to end up in a shop that works on 18-wheelers.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 am You can end up with quite a :dedong: rig that doesn't fit many places if you go too far. It's usually better to have multiple smaller components than one big all-in-one solution. There are so many varied use cases though that it's tough to really advise anyone without a lot of details on where you are going and what you want to do there.

:dat:
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote:

Agreed.

The biggest concern now is the size and where it will be allowed, or even easily fit.

We want this to be a fun thing, not a source of frustration when we get where we're going.
Do you really need the living space where you drive? A million dollar motorhome buys a lot of hotel nights. Sleeping at the race track when :drunk: and/or wrenching all night is the only real benefit I've ever seen for motorhomes. People who do woodsy/mountainy camping stuff seem to need a smaller and more off-road capable rig than any fancy motorhome with a full size oven. :iono:

Our motorhomes always needed work. It was always something. The only thing worse is a boat.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Agreed.

Do you really need the living space where you drive? A million dollar motorhome buys a lot of hotel nights. Sleeping at the race track when :drunk: and/or wrenching all night is the only real benefit I've ever seen for motorhomes. People who do woodsy/mountainy camping stuff seem to need a smaller and more off-road capable rig than any fancy motorhome with a full size oven. :iono:

Our motorhomes always needed work. It was always something. The only thing worse is a boat.
The problem is, only some of the hotels we would want to stay in will allow us to bring the :doge:

Looking for something to do a 6-8 week road trip at the longest and 7-10 day trips more frequently.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I'd try and keep the 5th wheel smaller to keep you in the 1500 class of trucks. Because HD 2500/3500 etc trucks ride like absolute dogshit when they're unloaded. If you can do that then sure go for it.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am I'd try and keep the 5th wheel smaller to keep you in the 1500 class of trucks. Because HD 2500/3500 etc trucks ride like absolute dogshit when they're unloaded. If you can do that then sure go for it.
Might as well just get one of these and spend the same money... ;)

https://midwestautomotivedesigns.com/sp ... -camper-rv
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am I'd try and keep the 5th wheel smaller to keep you in the 1500 class of trucks. Because HD 2500/3500 etc trucks ride like absolute dogshit when they're unloaded. If you can do that then sure go for it.

A friend of mine owns a 4x4 sprinter. He built a platform bed on the back, threw his bikes underneath the platform, and went off grid for like a month with his wife and 2 kids, lol.

:fuckyeah:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I think the drawbacks are somewhat obvious now... Either spend a midwest house worth on a class A and watch it depreciate 50k a year or spend 2/3 of the amount on a 80k truck that rides like shit and doesn't fit anywhere+ 130k trailer...

There are just so many drawbacks around towing a house around, seems like there is no simple solution. Either compromise and go smaller or pick one poison over another. I'd personally probably spend the 50-70k in annual depreciation on luxury hotels/travel around the world vs roughing it in an RV, doggos be damned.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm

I think the drawbacks are somewhat obvious now... Either spend a midwest house worth on a class A and watch it depreciate 50k a year or spend 2/3 of the amount on a 80k truck that rides like shit and doesn't fit anywhere+ 130k trailer...

There are just so many drawbacks around towing a house around, seems like there is no simple solution. Either compromise and go smaller or pick one poison over another. I'd personally probably spend the 50-70k in annual depreciation on luxury hotels/travel around the world vs roughing it in an RV, doggos be damned.
$50/night to take the dog to the kennel, and she's mostly in a cage all night and part of the day.. nah.. We want her with us. We're talking about doing the entire US in a couple trips and seeing everything we can, including things like all the parks.. Would rather be able to leave her in an A/C and Heated RV when we go anywhere for the day that she can't go.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm

$50/night to take the dog to the kennel, and she's mostly in a cage all night and part of the day.. nah.. We want her with us. We're talking about doing the entire US in a couple trips and seeing everything we can, including things like all the parks.. Would rather be able to leave her in an A/C and Heated RV when we go anywhere for the day that she can't go.
Yea that’s fair. 50 state trip would be grand. I want to do one as well but work, won’t allow me to take the 2-3 months off it would take
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Yea that’s fair. 50 state trip would be grand. I want to do one as well but work, won’t allow me to take the 2-3 months off it would take

And doing it in an RV is probably the best way to do it IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:01 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Or maybe a :jeep: towing a small trailer ... but both have their drawbacks ugh
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:01 pm

Or maybe a :jeep: towing a small trailer ... but both have their drawbacks ugh
Would probably be my preference too. An offroady trailer (teardrop or the like) would be fun to do some overlanding with in the west too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:02 pm Something like this might be my next :truk:

https://www-autoblog-com.cdn.ampproject ... -photos%2F
The Power Wagon has heretofore not been available with the Cummins.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Ram TRX/Airstream combo...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 pm Ram TRX/Airstream combo...
That would get like 3 mpg.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:35 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 pm Ram TRX/Airstream combo...
That would get like 3 mpg.
And look glorious doing it. But yeah. These are things I'd do with unlimited funds. Not necessarily what are prudent
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://autoweek.com/article/drive-revi ... st-serious -- 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison first drive: Up-armoring Chevy’s most serious off-roader
AEV adds rugged off-road protection and tire clearance to the Colorado ZR2