Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:49 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:28 am

That's part of the apprehension. Ram will cost 10k more than three RAV4 hybrid for fuel at 4$ a gallon over the course of 5 years. That's over $150 a month more in just gas.
This is where I get hung up on the Jeep Wrangler option. Sure they're cool. I'm never going to use the off road capability of one. A Rav will drive better, be more comfy, easier to park, and use half to 1/3 the fuel, and cost $10-15k less while still allowing me to do the amount of "off roading" I'd want.

I just wish they had better engine options. The Wrangler is actually pretty quick, which is something I'd prefer for no real reason.
The hybrid motor with the power bump doesn't seem like a bad option at all for the rav 4 and should be plenty for you
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:28 am

That's part of the apprehension. Ram will cost 10k more than three RAV4 hybrid for fuel at 4$ a gallon over the course of 5 years. That's over $150 a month more in just gas.
This is where I get hung up on the Jeep Wrangler option. Sure they're cool. I'm never going to use the off road capability of one. A Rav will drive better, be more comfy, easier to park, and use half to 1/3 the fuel, and cost $10-15k less while still allowing me to do the amount of "off roading" I'd want.

I just wish they had better engine options. The Wrangler is actually pretty quick, which is something I'd prefer for no real reason.
There is more to this.
First things first a wrangler is not quick(unless you’re WOTing) and it feels pretty damn shitty if you rush it, that’s the worst part of any JK IMO.

I don’t know that a rav 4 would be easier to park or be more comfortable, those things are somewhat subjective.

Agreed on the off roading.

The part you’re missing about the Jeep is the fact that it’s different from any other suv, that’s right ANY other suv. Rav 4 is just one of 12 raised family sedans with a hatch. A Jeep isn’t. If that isn’t worth it to you ... then you have your answer
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 am

There is more to this.
First things first a wrangler is not quick(unless you’re WOTing) and it feels pretty damn shitty if you rush it, that’s the worst part of any JK IMO.

I don’t know that a rav 4 would be easier to park or be more comfortable, those things are somewhat subjective.

The part you’re missing about the Jeep is the fact that it’s different from any other suv, that’s right ANY other suv. Rav 4 is just one of 12 raised family sedans with a hatch. A Jeep isn’t. If that isn’t worth it to you ... then you have your answer
Right. For the vast majority of people, image and perception are the only reasons to pick a Jeep Wrangler which, for a myriad of reasons, is a far inferior vehicle to those run of the mill CUVs for the type of driving most people will actually do. The thought of exploring the wilderness, or rugged off roading, or overlanding or whatever is really attractive, and this is what sold SUVs from the get-go. The ability to do whatever you can think of with it. The reality is the same as my snow rated tires.... you're not using that for 99.9% of the driving you do, so why make such a compromise? The JL picks away at that compromise with a nice interior, good features, and constantly improving drive characteristics but it's still severely handicapped due to the nature of what it is.

:whocares:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:53 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 am

There is more to this.

Right. For the vast majority of people, image and perception are the only reasons to pick a Jeep Wrangler which, for a myriad of reasons, is a far inferior vehicle to those run of the mill CUVs for the type of driving most people will actually do. The thought of exploring the wilderness, or rugged off roading, or overlanding or whatever is really attractive, and this is what sold SUVs from the get-go. The ability to do whatever you can think of with it. The reality is the same as my snow rated tires.... you're not using that for 99.9% of the driving you do, so why make such a compromise? The JL picks away at that compromise with a nice interior, good features, and constantly improving drive characteristics but it's still severely handicapped due to the nature of what it is.

I disagree, because these are not NEED based purchases, for 99% of people a 6 year old camry with 100k miles is the correct vehicle, because it costs 7k, will run for another 200k miles and do anything you ask of it. That's a need based purchase. A want based purchase is something like a jeep because it allows you to have the POSSIBILITY, of going off road, the POSSIBILITY of taking the roof off, the POSSIBILITY of taking the doors off. Doesn't matter whether you use it or not, just like a ferrari enzo is not driven on the track or whatever daily, you purchase a WANT based thing, for fun. A jeep without argument is MORE FUN than any CUV period. Whether that is worth the extra money is another question that is up to the individual and their budget.

JL is not as much of a compromise vehicle as you're describing, it drives fine, a lot of these "car attributes" are over-rated in daily driving. There are no issues DD'ing a JL outside of maybe MPG. But gas is dirt cheap compared to the actual cost of the vehicle so frankly it doesn't truly matter.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:truckyeah:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

^that ain't right!
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:59 am :truckyeah:

:jalepenis:
max225

4zilch wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:59 am :truckyeah:

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:53 pm Right. For the vast majority of people, image and perception are the only reasons to pick a Jeep Wrangler which, for a myriad of reasons, is a far inferior vehicle to those run of the mill CUVs for the type of driving most people will actually do. The thought of exploring the wilderness, or rugged off roading, or overlanding or whatever is really attractive, and this is what sold SUVs from the get-go. The ability to do whatever you can think of with it. The reality is the same as my snow rated tires.... you're not using that for 99.9% of the driving you do, so why make such a compromise? The JL picks away at that compromise with a nice interior, good features, and constantly improving drive characteristics but it's still severely handicapped due to the nature of what it is.

I find even the JK to be an improvement upon the :truk: quality I've been used to for the last 3 years. It's supremely kampfy.
But where do you put your mulchy scooterdogs without a bed? Communist.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 pm But where do you put your mulchy scooterdogs without a bed? Communist.
Shit, didn't think about the mulchy scooterdogs. :flaccid:

I'm gonna need to have mulch delivered in the spring. :flaccid: :flaccid:
Buy a new :truk: for the spring.

:plac: is always the answer.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 pm Buy a new :truk: for the spring.

:plac: is always the answer.
Sell :jeep: to :225: and buy :truk:

:waxer:
:waiting:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:53 pm

I find even the JK to be an improvement upon the :truk: quality I've been used to for the last 3 years. It's supremely kampfy.
I believe it. IMO the JKU was alright to drive, aside from the constantly shimmying and moving suspension. Most of the midsize trucks don't ride all that well because people are concerned with towing figures for some reason so they get HD rear springs.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:24 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:23 pm

I believe it. IMO the JKU was alright to drive, aside from the constantly shimmying and moving suspension. Most of the midsize trucks don't ride all that well because people are concerned with towing figures for some reason so they get HD rear springs.
Anyone who's rode in my :truk: has actually complimented it and says it doesn't feel like riding in a :truk:
:iono:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:45 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:24 am

Anyone who's rode in my :truk: has actually complimented it and says it doesn't feel like riding in a :truk:
:iono:
:dat: it’s all subjective

My 1 ton Doge rode fine to me with solid axles front and rear. It was more comfortable than the WRX or the FiST IMO.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

Leased

max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:42 am Image

Leased

That's gotta be a decade old now.... It seems that whatever you guys drive on is incredibly toxic to metal.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:42 am Image

Leased

That's gotta be a decade old now.... It seems that whatever you guys drive on is incredibly toxic to metal.
This is what a rust state does to a vehicle that's never been maintained. IIRC this is a 2005-2007 model.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 am
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 am

This is what a rust state does to a vehicle that's never been maintained. IIRC this is a 2005-2007 model.
Makes sense though ...
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:49 am https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/14/202 ... r-website/

Gladware configurator is live - sans pricing.
Too bad there is no pricing ... I want to see if my estimate was right ...
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:49 am https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/14/202 ... r-website/

Gladware configurator is live - sans pricing.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:18 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 am I haven't looked at the new Ram in person yet, but I'm getting to be in the same camp of "full-size trucks are too damn big anymore." It seems to be a pretty big camp given how the mid-size market has exploded in the last few years.
They're fucking huge man.

Like, three full seats across.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I mean I can guarantee no maintenance was performed on the 98 mountaineer I had. Pretty sure it was in the flood from sandy as well and I didn't have body rust like the examples you've posted
max225

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:34 pm I mean I can guarantee no maintenance was performed on the 98 mountaineer I had. Pretty sure it was in the flood from sandy as well and I didn't have body rust like the examples you've posted
One time flood event <<<<>>>> rust that looks like years of some kind of metal abusive agent destroying the metal.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:09 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:34 pm I mean I can guarantee no maintenance was performed on the 98 mountaineer I had. Pretty sure it was in the flood from sandy as well and I didn't have body rust like the examples you've posted
One time flood event <<<<>>>> rust that looks like years of some kind of metal abusive agent destroying the metal.
Right I'm agreeing with you. Something else is at play besides standard road salt like Johnny p said because it it was my mountaineer would have looked the same as it spent 20 years in road salt states
Johnny_P