Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:18 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:32 pm Has anyone done paint protection on their trucks ? I wanted to get it done ... current quote is $800 for the front
Also needs full correction and 10 coats of ceramic bro. NEW CAR.
I plan on taking it to the snow etc. tons of shit flying and hitting the front. Don’t care for paint anything
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:09 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:32 pm Has anyone done paint protection on their trucks ? I wanted to get it done ... current quote is $800 for the front
It’s a truck... meh.
What difference does it make whether it is a truk or not. I am garaging it also.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:27 pm

I plan on taking it to the snow etc. tons of shit flying and hitting the front. Don’t care for paint anything
:howdareu:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:34 pm
:howdareu:
The paint is perfect, car left the factory less than 30 days ago. I’m not letting some moron with a beltsander near the vehicle
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I did it on my car and don't regret it one bit

I've had rocks break numerous things on my car but the front bumper, headlights and hood are flawless. I highly recommend this on any nice car.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:24 pm Max, if you intend on keeping the truk forever, do it.

I don’t see value in PPF because the only car I’d put it on, I never drive. :deep:
Who knows, if gas remains at current levels I certainly will. The quote I got is $800 but I’m trying to figure out if that’s a good deal or not. Full front but only 1/4 way up the hood.

Also any ideas on bed covers ? I was looking into the tri fold but it seems like you may have to cut the drop in bed liner to make it fit
max225

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:10 pm

I've had rocks break numerous things on my car but the front bumper, headlights and hood are flawless. I highly recommend this on any nice car.
Kind of my thinking also... a repaint tends to be worse than original color
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:56 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:46 pm

Who knows, if gas remains at current levels I certainly will. The quote I got is $800 but I’m trying to figure out if that’s a good deal or not. Full front but only 1/4 way up the hood.

Also any ideas on bed covers ? I was looking into the tri fold but it seems like you may have to cut the drop in bed liner to make it fit
Taco doesn’t have a drop in liner - bed is composite inner, metal outer.

I’ve got a vinyl tri-fold on mine and it needs no cutting of anything on the truck. Easy to remove if needed, too.

Also, do the full hood. Ain’t nobody got time for paint protection film lines.
I can’t I have stickers on the hood where the scoop is. :aintcare: about lines as most people aren’t tall enough to see it anyways.

Btw fun drum brake factoid
70-0 in a Tacoma 170 feet
70-0 in a gladiator 185 feet
:doomed:

Is your tri fold oem Toyota ?
In terms of bed material, sure looks like just plastic on top of the bed what composite bed? The bed is metal with plastic thing sitting on top of it secured by several screws
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Kind of my thinking also... a repaint tends to be worse than original color
It makes no sense to beat up the paint and pay to respray it later. What about the headlights getting pitted? Like [user not found] says, full hood and headlights at minimum. My PPF actually has two or three small tears on the headlights that might have been cracked lenses without the extra shielding.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Bed is composite, do not cut it as it’s fuckin expensive to replace.

The OEM tonneau cover is pricey and is a bit temperamental. I’ve had a few leak at the folding seams. Look for an Extang cover. The seams are better protected and it appears to be more weather resistant than the OEM cover.

Do not expect any cover to be waterproof.

Also, get a bed mat. Shit slides around a lot as the bed is so smooth. I don’t know why I haven’t got one yet.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I never understood bed mats. Full bed liner with bed caps or nothing. They're so cheap that IMO is doesn't make sense to do anything less.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:37 am I never understood bed mats. Full bed liner with bed caps or nothing. They're so cheap that IMO is doesn't make sense to do anything less.
Small items that you can’t secure will slide around like crazy because the bed surface is smooth and not textured at all. I damaged a bunch of my landscaping stuff in the spring on the drive home when stuff slid everywhere.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Max I forget that your truck sits a lot higher then my Golf so the stone chipping won't be a similar comparison. If you're okay with the line on your hood then I guess the short coverage makes practical sense, but it looks a whole lot better to cover the whole thing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

DP
Last edited by Tar on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

That's never been a problem for me. Maybe my roads are easy to drive smooth, but I always keep bungee cords in the truck and a couple straps just in case. Those don't take up much room. There's probably some non slip drop in liner options out there as well. The best of both worlds.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Something like this could be a :neat: solution to a bed that doesn't often see a yard of dirt. :iono:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:51 am Image

Something like this could be a :neat: solution to a bed that doesn't often see a yard of dirt. :iono:
Yea while neat it just depends on the person and use case. For me this wouldn’t work as you can’t even out groceries in the truck bed after as it becomes way too shallow
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tonneau covers are a personal choice. I've had a ton, and personally don't like folding tonneaus because even when folded they eat up too much bed space. Sure, they come off somewhat easy, but then you have to put it somewhere while you're hauling whatever. Rolling tonneaus get completely out of the way. They're my preference.

I've got the OEM Mopar one on my truck and love it. I had an Access brand tonneau on my Colorado that was pretty decent too and REALLY cheap. There's really only a few main suppliers for tonneau covers, buy something in the middle range. And do not expect it to be water proof, it never will be.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:14 am Tonneau covers are a personal choice. I've had a ton, and personally don't like folding tonneaus because even when folded they eat up too much bed space. Sure, they come off somewhat easy, but then you have to put it somewhere while you're hauling whatever. Rolling tonneaus get completely out of the way. They're my preference.

I've got the OEM Mopar one on my truck and love it. I had an Access brand tonneau on my Colorado that was pretty decent too and REALLY cheap. There's really only a few main suppliers for tonneau covers, buy something in the middle range. And do not expect it to be water proof, it never will be.
https://youtu.be/tPEqG3wFelM

Curious how does the tri fold eat bed space ?
max225

https://youtu.be/deLIj42SYGc

To those that said it doesn’t need cutting check out this video, the bed caps (plastic) need to be cut to allow for the mounts to be placed
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:04 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:51 am Image

Yea while neat it just depends on the person and use case. For me this wouldn’t work as you can’t even out groceries in the truck bed after as it becomes way too shallow
Why wouldn't you put your groceries in the compartments?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

When it's "up" it's still covering ~1/3 of the bed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:30 am

When it's "up" it's still covering ~1/3 of the bed.
I guess that doesn’t really bother me, if I’m purchasing something that large, is leave it home or whatnot or put it in the back seat.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:23 am
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:04 am

Why wouldn't you put your groceries in the compartments?
I mean big toilet paper thing won’t fit, bottles of wine etc will all go horizontal and slush around instead of being hung on the hooks etc.

I dunno I’m pretty newish to this. I have had a gen 1 taco in the last 3 months and 3500 miles. Still learning how to do things better on this one
max225

So these exist also ...