Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:36 pm
The thing looks incredibly rust free.
:dat:

I am a fan of it... and of the concept of buying vehicles for $400.
I can show you the way. :lol:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:13 pm

I've been seriously considering a super cheap work pickup, problem is we use the pickup for camping, and I don't know how i feel about driving a $500 truck 1,000 miles in a weekend.

I wouldn't jump right in and drive it that far until you've got some miles under you. My old $250 Chevy K2500 was probably just a local around town truck for a few months before I took it out on like 300 mile trips and further. Luckily the cab in the Ram is so much more roomier than the old Chevy....which bodes well for me since I'm 6'2
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

3rdgenfan wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:22 pm
I've been seriously considering a super cheap work pickup, problem is we use the pickup for camping, and I don't know how i feel about driving a $500 truck 1,000 miles in a weekend.

I wouldn't jump right in and drive it that far until you've got some miles under you. My old $250 Chevy K2500 was probably just a local around town truck for a few months before I took it out on like 300 mile trips and further. Luckily the cab in the Ram is so much more roomier than the old Chevy....which bodes well for me since I'm 6'2
Oh, totally. And even with increased confidence, distance and towing would make me :notsure:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

3rdgenfan wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:20 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:58 am

Dat GXP, doe. :jelly:
I've ordered an LSA kit for it. :hubba: :hubba:
:ohdang: :excited:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That's just to haul pinshit stuff in. Not to drive to Cheboygan.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 pm
Yea, and that's the problem. Truck bed is nearly full for each camping trip...taking the JL would be a tight squeeze and we'd be at max capacity when towing.

JT is just too perfect for me. It's a weird feeling to find a vehicle that I want absolutely nothing different of. I've never had that before. Biggest issue is the damned cost...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Yea, and that's the problem. Truck bed is nearly full for each camping trip...taking the JL would be a tight squeeze and we'd be at max capacity when towing.

JT is just too perfect for me. It's a weird feeling to find a vehicle that I want absolutely nothing different of. I've never had that before. Biggest issue is the damned cost...
What's the buyout and when does the lease end?

Usually it's cheaper to keep her... You can justify the "plac: as "high cost" but when you really crunch the numbers, keeping the current is the right move. No unexpected :bs: repairs. No $1-3K off the bat fixing old :truk: :bs: , no additional transaction fees/taxes, no further :plac: cash sink when you inevitably off the POS in six months for another decent car or add in a "fuel efficient daily" or some other :bs:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Usually it's cheaper to keep her... You can justify the "plac: as "high cost" but when you really crunch the numbers, keeping the current is the right move. No unexpected :bs: repairs. No $1-3K off the bat fixing old :truk: :bs: , no additional transaction fees/taxes, no further :plac: cash sink when you inevitably off the POS in six months for another decent car or add in a "fuel efficient daily" or some other :bs:
All of :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Buyout price is dependent on miles. I've been driving to drive it as much as possible, but the virus really put a wrench in that. It's got just under 11k miles on it, and with the trips we have planned through September, it should be close to 14k I hope. Lease doesn't have a firm end date, but should be in the September/October timeframe.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apparently my parents are shopping tow vehicles. They want to buy a 5k lb travel trailer so they can more easily see me in Philly and my brother in Cali. Which I don't really understand but whatever.

Dad so far test drove a Tundra and Sequoia. Looked at an F150 and Expedition. I told him to check out Rams and maybe the Durango V8. He's kind of a Ford guy though, he seemed pretty excited about the F150. Mom thinks the Rams "look enormous."

Anything else I should steer them towards? Mom kind of wants something more reasonable in size.

:popcorn:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 pm Apparently my parents are shopping tow vehicles. They want to buy a 5k lb travel trailer so they can more easily see me in Philly and my brother in Cali. Which I don't really understand but whatever.

Dad so far test drove a Tundra and Sequoia. Looked at an F150 and Expedition. I told him to check out Rams and maybe the Durango V8. He's kind of a Ford guy though, he seemed pretty excited about the F150. Mom thinks the Rams "look enormous."

Anything else I should steer them towards? Mom kind of wants something more reasonable in size.

Toyota unless y'all have rust issues.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 pm Apparently my parents are shopping tow vehicles. They want to buy a 5k lb travel trailer so they can more easily see me in Philly and my brother in Cali. Which I don't really understand but whatever.

Toyota unless y'all have rust issues.
They live in Alabama
ChrisoftheNorth

5k lbs, they could do a Colorado diesel...much more manageable in size. Ranger should also be able to tow that ok if must be Ford. Grand Cherokee with 5.7 could also do 5k lbs.

F150 or Ram would be most comfortable :doe:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:29 pm

5k lbs, they could do a Colorado diesel...much more manageable in size. Ranger should also be able to tow that ok if must be Ford. Grand Cherokee with 5.7 could also do 5k lbs.

I don't think they'd want a diesel with the cat pee tank. Honestly it's really hard to suggest a midsize truck when the full size ones have such better engines and overall builds. Especially if you're looking at a towing workhorse type vehicle to pile miles onto.

I told Dad about the GC but suggested the Durango over it because IIRC they have higher tow ratings.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:52 pm

I don't think they'd want a diesel with the cat pee tank. Honestly it's really hard to suggest a midsize truck when the full size ones have such better engines and overall builds. Especially if you're looking at a towing workhorse type vehicle to pile miles onto.

I told Dad about the GC but suggested the Durango over it because IIRC they have higher tow ratings.
Yep, Durango has a max 8,700 rating to the GC's 7,200. Both would do 5k just fine :doe:

And I get it on midsize trucks...they only make sense to people who really don't want a massive truck (like myself), and don't really care about the "bigger is better" value proposition. A full sizer would be comfier for long hauls :doe:

Could also look at a Nissan Armada, that's 8,500lb towing. Tahoe is another good choice because it's not hideous like the Silverado. Could even be some pretty good deals on leftover K2s as T1s start shipping.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:08 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:23 pm Ah very clean. Such smol. Yeah there's not much desire for those. Similarly priced here. The 2wd crew cabs are 10k here and 4wd 7.3l crew cabs fetch anywhere from 15-20k. Infuriating. My fiancée wants the long bed as opposed to the chode bed. Her words not mine.
What is the conventional wisdom on 7.3 vs. 6.0 vs. 6.7? I get cornfused on the "desirable" powerstrokes versus the ones that are supposed to cost thousands in meltdown money.
7.3 :jesus:

6.0 :jalepenis:

6.7 :notbad:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Old post, but I liked the emojis.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The 3.6L handles 5k pounds well, sucks the gas :doe:

F-150 is a solid choice. Would be my go-to if I wanted another tow rig.
max225

I am curious as an uninitiated, would say a F250 with a GAS motor get the same MPG as a Gladiator with a 3.6 towing the same 5k lbs? I find it hard to believe that it would do better somehow.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:31 pm I am curious as an uninitiated, would say a F250 with a GAS motor get the same MPG as a Gladiator with a 3.6 towing the same 5k lbs? I find it hard to believe that it would do better somehow.
Maybe.

I'd be willing to bet the F250 sees a lower percentage of a drop when compared between loaded and unloaded.
max225

Melon wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:38 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:31 pm I am curious as an uninitiated, would say a F250 with a GAS motor get the same MPG as a Gladiator with a 3.6 towing the same 5k lbs? I find it hard to believe that it would do better somehow.
Maybe.

I'd be willing to bet the F250 sees a lower percentage of a drop when compared between loaded and unloaded.
Yep for sure on the second part.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:38 pm

Maybe.

I've found that pretty much everything gets the same crappy MPG when towing. The biggest difference would be the delta when loaded and not for sure.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:52 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:41 pm
I've found that pretty much everything gets the same crappy MPG when towing. The biggest difference would be the delta when loaded and not for sure.
Right so the smaller engine still gets better mpg since 80-90% of miles are without a trailer for most
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:52 pm
Right so the smaller engine still gets better mpg since 80-90% of miles are without a trailer for most
Yep. It's not only the smaller engine but also smaller vehicle mass. HD trucks are crazy heavy.

Which is why going overboard on a tow vehicle makes even less sense.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:04 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:54 pm
Yep. It's not only the smaller engine but also smaller vehicle mass. HD trucks are crazy heavy.

Which is why going overboard on a tow vehicle makes even less sense.
Depends on what you’re doing with the truck. If you’re not regularly hauling a ton of weight the 2500 class trucks are horrible. But if you are regularly hauling a lot or have a toolbox bed (contractor or utility worker type) you’d wear out a 1500 class truck super fast.

My parents would be well served by a 1500 class vehicle. Seems they all get the same MPG as midsize trucks anyway but with a bit more headroom on the chassis, motor, cooling, and braking systems.