Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:04 pm
Yep. It's not only the smaller engine but also smaller vehicle mass. HD trucks are crazy heavy.

Which is why going overboard on a tow vehicle makes even less sense.
Depends on what you’re doing with the truck. If you’re not regularly hauling a ton of weight the 2500 class trucks are horrible. But if you are regularly hauling a lot or have a toolbox bed (contractor or utility worker type) you’d wear out a 1500 class truck super fast.

My parents would be well served by a 1500 class vehicle. Seems they all get the same MPG as midsize trucks anyway but with a bit more headroom on the chassis, motor, cooling, and braking systems.
My contractor buddy with the RAM 1500 that is loaded to the gills (far above the "recommended" weight) daily is doing well. He is averaging mid 20s freeway and 20ish overall which is 40% better than he would get in a gasser. He has also towed over 10k lbs with it.

Minus the diesel emissions fuckery which has been horrendous, they took off the bed to do a fix and stripped bolts etc. FCA :dillerman: here are ABYSMAL.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Depends on what you’re doing with the truck. If you’re not regularly hauling a ton of weight the 2500 class trucks are horrible. But if you are regularly hauling a lot or have a toolbox bed (contractor or utility worker type) you’d wear out a 1500 class truck super fast.

My parents would be well served by a 1500 class vehicle. Seems they all get the same MPG as midsize trucks anyway but with a bit more headroom on the chassis, motor, cooling, and braking systems.
My contractor buddy with the RAM 1500 that is loaded to the gills (far above the "recommended" weight) daily is doing well. He is averaging mid 20s freeway and 20ish overall which is 40% better than he would get in a gasser. He has also towed over 10k lbs with it.

Minus the diesel emissions fuckery which has been horrendous, they took off the bed to do a fix and stripped bolts etc. FCA :dillerman: here are ABYSMAL.
I wasn’t talking about MPG, as that’s dependent on the motor. I mean the truck itself. Frame, springs, axles, bushings, ball joints, etc all wear out way faster if you’re running at the limit of what the chassis is rated for.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:35 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 pm

I wasn’t talking about MPG, as that’s dependent on the motor. I mean the truck itself. Frame, springs, axles, bushings, ball joints, etc all wear out way faster if you’re running at the limit of what the chassis is rated for.
Yep. Just giving you a datapoint... 4 years 60k miles. I even worked on the :truk: used as designed. It also has been washed 2x in 4 years... both times after an accident. :lol: No paint issues...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 pm Apparently my parents are shopping tow vehicles. They want to buy a 5k lb travel trailer so they can more easily see me in Philly and my brother in Cali. Which I don't really understand but whatever.

Dad so far test drove a Tundra and Sequoia. Looked at an F150 and Expedition. I told him to check out Rams and maybe the Durango V8. He's kind of a Ford guy though, he seemed pretty excited about the F150. Mom thinks the Rams "look enormous."

Anything else I should steer them towards? Mom kind of wants something more reasonable in size.

:popcorn:
A used Touareg/Q7 V6 is a really comfortable ride and can haul 7700lbs, they come equipped with a hitch right from the factory.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 pm Apparently my parents are shopping tow vehicles. They want to buy a 5k lb travel trailer so they can more easily see me in Philly and my brother in Cali. Which I don't really understand but whatever.

Dad so far test drove a Tundra and Sequoia. Looked at an F150 and Expedition. I told him to check out Rams and maybe the Durango V8. He's kind of a Ford guy though, he seemed pretty excited about the F150. Mom thinks the Rams "look enormous."

Anything else I should steer them towards? Mom kind of wants something more reasonable in size.

A used Touareg/Q7 V6 is a really comfortable ride and can haul 7700lbs, they come equipped with a hitch right from the factory.
:wasteful: won't do VW, :doe: , so I can't imagine him recommending one to his 'rents. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Honestly the F150 2.7TT is probably the sweet spot for them. Will tow 5k lbs easily, but they tend to get 24-27mph highway pretty easily. I personally like the RAM much better, but if your dad already wants the F150, I think the 2.7TT is the engine to get. Where do they live?
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:21 pm

:wasteful: won't do VW, :doe: , so I can't imagine him recommending one to his 'rents. :iono:
They’ve owned VWs in the past. They were nothing but total crap. They wouldn’t buy one if I told them it was the best thing out there.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:15 pm

Honestly the F150 2.7TT is probably the sweet spot for them. Will tow 5k lbs easily, but they tend to get 24-27mph highway pretty easily. I personally like the RAM much better, but if your dad already wants the F150, I think the 2.7TT is the engine to get. Where do they live?
Yeah I agree. They live in Bama so no need for 4x4 either.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Yeah I thought this writing the post, but :wasteful: does like Audis and considered buying an A4 recently. The T-reg is more Audi then VW IMO. :iono:

I would probably :doge: ass-rammer if I were towing a camper across America, or the Durango which I loved as a rental in FL. Trunk space for MILES!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:41 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:15 pm
Extended cab or crew? I'd go Laramie trim for Ram, or Lariat for Fraud for dem :knot: blowers. Looking at upper 30's to mid 40's depending on extended or crew. :excited: to see what they get.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:29 pm

5k lbs, they could do a Colorado diesel...much more manageable in size. Ranger should also be able to tow that ok if must be Ford. Grand Cherokee with 5.7 could also do 5k lbs.

F150 or Ram would be most comfortable :doe:
The Colorado diesel is a pretty comfortable tow rig that gets decent fuel economy.

You just have to roll the dice on the truck's overall build quality.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Collapsing seats :doe:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:29 pm Collapsing seats :doe:
Live from the ford proving grounds.
Last edited by max225 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Long term seat tester... Question is can we attach a compass to the seat?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:29 pm Collapsing seats :doe:
Live from the ford proofing grounds.
:lolol:
Johnny_P

Make fun all you want.

https://www.google.com/search?q=forum+f ... 00&bih=849

Just been my experience that after about 3 years, 50% of the trucks we had ended up with seat bottoms that felt like they were fully broken and you'd sink a good 4" down as you sat into them. 100% of the trucks had a collapsed side bolster on the seat bottom.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:41 pm

Extended cab or crew? I'd go Laramie trim for Ram, or Lariat for Fraud for dem :knot: blowers. Looking at upper 30's to mid 40's depending on extended or crew. :excited: to see what they get.
Yeah IDK what they'll end up with, I think dad wants a pickup, mom wants an SUV. If they go pickup I bet they'd get the crew cab... they don't have a use for a huge bed, the only thing they'd haul would be a bicycle and occasionally some plants. They're too old for massive Ikea runs or mulch or other heavy bs like that.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:27 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:11 am

Yeah IDK what they'll end up with, I think dad wants a pickup, mom wants an SUV. If they go pickup I bet they'd get the crew cab... they don't have a use for a huge bed, the only thing they'd haul would be a bicycle and occasionally some plants. They're too old for massive Ikea runs or mulch or other heavy bs like that.
My worthless opinion, trucks tow better and are more reliable under heavy loads.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:27 pm

My worthless opinion, trucks tow better and are more reliable under heavy loads.
Yeah I mean they are more purpose built. But a Durango would serve them better any time they aren’t towing, which is the majority of the time, and still has a 7200 lb rating with the 5.7...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:27 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Yeah I mean they are more purpose built. But a Durango would serve them better any time they aren’t towing, which is the majority of the time, and still has a 7200 lb rating with the 5.7...
My parents have a Durango (V6) and tow a glamper with it all over. The camper is like a 21' full deal with kitchen, bedroom, shower, etc. It's not huge but I'm sure weighs in at a decent amount. They seeem to be happy with the car and my dad likes the way it tows.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:25 pm Make fun all you want.

https://www.google.com/search?q=forum+f ... 00&bih=849

Just been my experience that after about 3 years, 50% of the trucks we had ended up with seat bottoms that felt like they were fully broken and you'd sink a good 4" down as you sat into them. 100% of the trucks had a collapsed side bolster on the seat bottom.
Friend of mine has a :povertytruck: that I borrow from time to time and I can confirm that you really do sink into the seat at least 6", it is rather shocking. It is old, but still, I've have lots of old cars and none with seats that did that.
max225

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

58k for a USED 48k msrp WHEN NEW TACO. :fullretard: :thankstrump:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Lmao that's diesel territory prices. Don't those have the same anemic v6 they've had for years? Used vehicle prices in general are hilarious. My POS dirt bike has gone from being worth 1500 bucks to people trying to sell them for 3500 bucks somehow. :amaze:
Speaking of twuks I might give up on acquiring an older 7.3 because of the prices people are asking. No i don't want your 200k mile POS that's lifted, chipped, big tires without lower gearing, paint oxidation, and will need a trans job soon for $20k. Gtfo.
I've been eyeballing the same diesel for three months In Fontuky. 66,000 miles 2016 Ferd 6.7l. 42k.
Respectable pricing for a lariet. Would love to call him up and offer him 5k less and listen to him lose his mind. Are dealerships paying rent right now? When shit is on the lot for 6-8 months you should ask yourself some questions. Used dealers are funny. They go bankrupt and sell the dealer to their brother and change the name by adding a letter. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

NeonJonny wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:27 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Lmao that's diesel territory prices. Don't those have the same anemic v6 they've had for years? Used vehicle prices in general are hilarious. My POS dirt bike has gone from being worth 1500 bucks to people trying to sell them for 3500 bucks somehow. :amaze:
Speaking of twuks I might give up on acquiring an older 7.3 because of the prices people are asking. No i don't want your 200k mile POS that's lifted, chipped, big tires without lower gearing, paint oxidation, and will need a trans job soon for $20k. Gtfo.
I've been eyeballing the same diesel for three months In Fontuky. 66,000 miles 2016 Ferd 6.7l. 42k.
Respectable pricing for a lariet. Would love to call him up and offer him 5k less and listen to him lose his mind. Are dealerships paying rent right now? When shit is on the lot for 6-8 months you should ask yourself some questions. Used dealers are funny. They go bankrupt and sell the dealer to their brother and change the name by adding a letter. :lol:
I daily drove an F550 for about 100,000 miles all over the country over five years with the 6.7. Let me know if you have any questions about those, I have certainly been through everything with it. Despite keeping up with all maintenance we blew through a turbo about every 30 to 40,000 miles. That thing also weighed 21,000 pounds though, and was a sail going against the wind. That may have had something to do with the lackluster reliability.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Turbo replacement at :dillerman: = $4k.