Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 pm Ranger not doing well.

https://www-caranddriver-com.cdn.amppro ... es-2019%2F
It seems to be getting lackluster reviews, which can't be helping.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:49 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 pm Ranger not doing well.

https://www-caranddriver-com.cdn.amppro ... es-2019%2F
It seems to be getting lackluster reviews, which can't be helping.
Seems to be last place in every comparo so far. Really not a good sign.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

If the new RAM Dakota is a mini 1500 it will be interesting.

Everything feels so old in this segment
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:13 am If the new RAM Dakota is a mini 1500 it will be interesting.

The segment really is super old. Nothing has been fully engineered in this decade, it's all either ancient or pulled over here from global markets. Gladiator is the only exception.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:13 am If the new RAM Dakota is a mini 1500 it will be interesting.

A new Dakota would be interesting...
Huckleberry

The Dakota could be interesting. FCA is the only one of the big three daring enough to push the envelope with their vehicles.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:32 am
Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:45 am
It's aight, all the Ferd :truk: guys are crying fake news!

They don't care, they have a smaller blue oval option again.
I saw 2 of the new Rangers in the wild this weekend. Both were bloo too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, looks like they're selling to the loyalists, but nobody else. Unless production ramp-up is taking loner that thought...

I pass by a Ferd :dillerman: on my way to work every day. They have a collection of Rangers out front that keeps growing. Started with 3 a few weeks ago, then 5 last week, I noticed they're up to 8 today. It's not a large dealer, either.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

I dunno. I was at my local dealer this weekend with my nephew shopping for a FiST for him and was talking to the salesguy. He said most people that came in to see the Rangers ended up more interested in a $30k stripper F150 than a $30k+ Ranger with more options. They have 4 they have been sitting on and most people end up shifting up to an F150 after they see and drive the Ranger.
ChrisoftheNorth

Just drove one...my group had it for competitive eval.

Whole heaping load of meh.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:30 am Just drove one...my group had it for competitive eval.

Curious how you acquire competitors products. Is someone responsible for just wandering into a local :dillerman: and anonymously buying something off the floor, and do they have a max budget, or is it more complicated than that?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:30 am Just drove one...my group had it for competitive eval.

What didn't you like about it?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:Just drove one...my group had it for competitive eval.

So it's a truck?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Curious how you acquire competitors products. Is someone responsible for just wandering into a local :dillerman: and anonymously buying something off the floor, and do they have a max budget, or is it more complicated than that?
Someone goes to a dealer and orders a spec for a vehicle that will be torn apart. They probably just pay MSRP or whatever.

For evaluation vehicles like I drove today, there's actually a company that buys vehicles and rents them to the OEMs for eval purposes.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Throttle lag was ridiculous, especially from a standstill. From a stop, mat the throttle and we counted...1.5 sec before it even responds, another 1.5 secs before you're doing anything similar to accelerating. The engine had solid torque and power once going, and the trans shifted nicely. I didn't care for the way it sounded...and under WOT it made a weird whooshing sound that was extremely noticeable. Maybe related to the turbo? I've driven other Ford EcoBoost things that didn't make the same sound. It was a bit course sounding, and the 4-banger sound was louder than it should be.

The brakes are...weird. Super touchy at first...like driving through a parking lot, tap the brakes and it's like 100%. But then, they're spongy and vague when slowing at speed like for a stop light. I felt like I didn't trust them.

The suspension is sketchy...body roll is horrible, I'm not even sure it has sway bars. It shuddered a bit over bumps like the new Silverado I drove a while ago, but it was overall rather smooth when just going straight.

The interior is on par with the Colorado which is to say it's a lot of hard plastic and meh. The seats were decently comfortable, It did have solid visibility, which was a nice plus.

Overall, I don't understand why anyone would choose a Ranger over a Colorado.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Throttle lag was ridiculous, especially from a standstill. From a stop, mat the throttle and we counted...1.5 sec before it even responds, another 1.5 secs before you're doing anything similar to accelerating. The engine had solid torque and power once going, and the trans shifted nicely. I didn't care for the way it sounded...and under WOT it made a weird whooshing sound that was extremely noticeable. Maybe related to the turbo? I've driven other Ford EcoBoost things that didn't make the same sound. It was a bit course sounding, and the 4-banger sound was louder than it should be.

The brakes are...weird. Super touchy at first...like driving through a parking lot, tap the brakes and it's like 100%. But then, they're spongy and vague when slowing at speed like for a stop light. I felt like I didn't trust them.

The suspension is sketchy...body roll is horrible, I'm not even sure it has sway bars. It shuddered a bit over bumps like the new Silverado I drove a while ago, but it was overall rather smooth when just going straight.

The interior is on par with the Colorado which is to say it's a lot of hard plastic and meh. The seats were decently comfortable, It did have solid visibility, which was a nice plus.

That's a shame. You'd think the 10 speed would be able to keep that engine within its powerband at all times.

I wonder if Ford pumped the turbo noise into the cabin?
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 pm

That's a shame. You'd think the 10 speed would be able to keep that engine within its powerband at all times.

It's all tuning and throttle mapping. An engineer I work with claims all Fords do it to an extent to save the transmission from too much torque at launch.

The 10-speed was fine. Snappy shifts, didn't feel much better or worse than the 8-speed in my Colorado. The top gears must be reserved for highway, we didn't count more than 8 shifts, even including a quick jaunt down the highway.

It did sound like turbo noise was pumped in...and it wasn't pleasant.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 pm

It's all tuning and throttle mapping. An engineer I work with claims all Fords do it to an extent to save the transmission from too much torque at launch.

The 10-speed was fine. Snappy shifts, didn't feel much better or worse than the 8-speed in my Colorado. The top gears must be reserved for highway, we didn't count more than 8 shifts, even including a quick jaunt down the highway.

All OEs do torque management to an extent. It just sucks that the truck was that poorly tuned. I bet they put out a TSB software patch to mitigate it if it is that terrible.

Remember when manufacturers tried to muffle the engine noises as much as possible?
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 pm

All OEs do torque management to an extent. It just sucks that the truck was that poorly tuned. I bet they put out a TSB software patch to mitigate it if it is that terrible.

Remember when manufacturers tried to muffle the engine noises as much as possible?
Yea, they need to go back to doing that with these smaller engines. Really not great.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Yea, they need to go back to doing that with these smaller engines. Really not great.
But how can you live your Fast & Furious dreams without the turbo screaming in your ear?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:28 am

A new Dakota would be interesting...
Apparently it'll be out 2022
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:10 pm

I heard an Ecoboom F-150 roll by the other day and all I heard was turbo spool as it accelerated past.
From inside the Ranger, it doesn't sound like typical turbo spool as I know it, just like you were driving through a wind tunnel on full blast. As soon as you stop accelerating, the noise is gone. I guess that's turbo noise but it's still :notsure: in a :truk:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Things are getting interesting.

He's looking for same one with buckets. If he finds it I'll buy it this week

https://www.bettenbakercdjr.com/new/Ram ... 777ed3.htm
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am Things are getting interesting.

He's looking for same one with buckets. If he finds it I'll buy it this week

https://www.bettenbakercdjr.com/new/Ram ... 777ed3.htm
Buy or lease?

What do buckets do that's better than the bench? These modern bench seats are essentially buckets anyway, with a center console someone could sit on. I actually loved the "bench" seat in my Silverado.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think the interior looks better work buckets and full center console.