Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/wr ... omparison/

Rubicon uber alles.

TBH, after seeing a number of JL Rubis around town, I don't really have a problem with the 50K price tag. "50K for a Jeep!" doesn't matter to me if it is comfortable (new interior and ride quality and tranny) capable (always has been, even moreso) and reliable (this is a 150K mile vehicle easily, you can't say that about Eurotrash competition, you can't own a LR out of warranty and the Benzo cost twice as much and will kill you on repairs.)

TLDR. I think the new Rubicon is fairly priced considering "cash on the hood" and it will 98% be my next :plac: move. But that will have to wait for now.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:36 pm https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/wr ... omparison/

Rubicon uber alles.

TBH, after seeing a number of JL Rubis around town, I don't really have a problem with the 50K price tag. "50K for a Jeep!" doesn't matter to me if it is comfortable (new interior and ride quality and tranny) capable (always has been, even moreso) and reliable (this is a 150K mile vehicle easily, you can't say that about Eurotrash competition, you can't own a LR out of warranty and the Benzo cost twice as much and will kill you on repairs.)

TLDR. I think the new Rubicon is fairly priced considering "cash on the hood" and it will 98% be my next :plac: move. But that will have to wait for now.
I think the new JL is a very solid improvement over the JK. And I find my JK very comfy.
I never understood those that say the JK rides like trash etc etc. Although the base model JK sport was appalling. Jeeps need options
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:36 pm https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/wr ... omparison/

Rubicon uber alles.

Yea it is an interesting review. The current jeep will easily last 200k miles if anyone cared enough to take it that far. The pentastar is a good motor and that 8 speed is proven and has been put into everything since 2013 and seems to have few issues if any.

50k though... is not really a rubi... a rubicon with all the "bells and whistles" is around 54-55k. + Tax you're at/over 60 or if you get a killer deal you're at 55 post discounts.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Rubicon uber alles.

Yea it is an interesting review. The current jeep will easily last 200k miles if anyone cared enough to take it that far. The pentastar is a good motor and that 8 speed is proven and has been put into everything since 2013 and seems to have few issues if any.

50k though... is not really a rubi... a rubicon with all the "bells and whistles" is around 54-55k. + Tax you're at/over 60 or if you get a killer deal you're at 55 post discounts.
Ok I'll take my stance up to 55K. All of your "but you could buy this" arguments still put me into Euro stuff that depreciates at Mach 10. Solid axles are not poverty bruh, look at the absurd prices people fork out for Defender 90s. That is a dangerously underpowered, horrible riding, garbage reliability, interior from 1959 archaic....................Jeep. Basically an English CJ. Which bishes have no problem styling around Rodeo Drive on. If https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Defender- ... ctupt=true this fking thing is worth 100K, I got no problem paying 55K for a Rubi.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:22 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Ok I'll take my stance up to 55K. All of your "but you could buy this" arguments still put me into Euro stuff that depreciates at Mach 10. Solid axles are not poverty bruh, look at the absurd prices people fork out for Defender 90s. That is a dangerously underpowered, horrible riding, garbage reliability, interior from 1959 archaic....................Jeep. Basically an English CJ. Which bishes have no problem styling around Rodeo Drive on. If https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Defender- ... ctupt=true this fking thing is worth 100K, I got no problem paying 55K for a Rubi.
I never understood the defender craze. It was literally the WORST RIDING VEHICLE i have ever been in. Full on :disgust: it is worse than a jeep in every way, literally every way, yet it costs double+ for no reason, other than people like Doug D who strokes that shaft endlessly.

The issue with the jeep is that it is sort of a Toy vehicle with a lot of compromises compared to a regular car... at 50k you're shelling out a lot of money for the "idea" of taking it off road once a year maybe, and have to live with the rest of the "jeepyness" for the DDing aspect.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:11 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:17 pm

I think the new JL is a very solid improvement over the JK. And I find my JK very comfy.
I never understood those that say the JK rides like trash etc etc. Although the base model JK sport was appalling. Jeeps need options
My 2012 Rubicon rode horrible. Bouncy, required constant corrections when driving on the highway, really not pleasant.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:22 pm Ok I'll take my stance up to 55K. All of your "but you could buy this" arguments still put me into Euro stuff that depreciates at Mach 10. Solid axles are not poverty bruh, look at the absurd prices people fork out for Defender 90s. That is a dangerously underpowered, horrible riding, garbage reliability, interior from 1959 archaic....................Jeep. Basically an English CJ. Which bishes have no problem styling around Rodeo Drive on. If https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Defender- ... ctupt=true this fking thing is worth 100K, I got no problem paying 55K for a Rubi.
I never understood the defender craze. It was literally the WORST RIDING VEHICLE i have ever been in. Full on :disgust: it is worse than a jeep in every way, literally every way, yet it costs double+ for no reason, other than people like Doug D who strokes that shaft endlessly.

The issue with the jeep is that it is sort of a Toy vehicle with a lot of compromises compared to a regular car... at 50k you're shelling out a lot of money for the "idea" of taking it off road once a year maybe, and have to live with the rest of the "jeepyness" for the DDing aspect.
According to this forum the "jeepyness" is the only way to survive shitty northeastern/Midwestern roads that 1/4 of the country lives with. In seriousness though, it seems like the JL is actually a pretty nice DD if you don't care about gas costs.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 pm
max225 wrote:

According to this forum the "jeepyness" is the only way to survive shitty northeastern/Midwestern roads that 1/4 of the country lives with. In seriousness though, it seems like the JL is actually a pretty nice DD if you don't care about gas costs.
Its a nice DD but in all fairness 50k... is a lot of money to spend on a DD since a "nice" dd is a 22k new civic sport, or a 30k accord. You'd have to make a significant amount of money to comfortably afford a new jeep.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:30 pm
My 2012 Rubicon rode horrible. Bouncy, required constant corrections when driving on the highway, really not pleasant.
Mine has been great. :iono:

Only thing that sucks on the highway is the gas mileage. Rubicon Recon suspension improved it too.
What are you getting ?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:07 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 pm

What are you getting ?
I get 17-18 on the highway, 14-15 around town. 13 if it's thuper cold. :gay:

It's a Jeep. Gas is cheap right now, so :aintcare:
You must make $300k to be able to afford that!

:waxer:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:25 am
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:11 am

:lol:

I commute 6 miles a day. About ready to start riding to work.
LOL

I get about 15 mpg in the Zr2 or JL on my 75 mile each way commute.

I be like :wasteful: with gas, but :thisisfine:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:11 pm

I really didn't think the ride in my 2015 Hard Rock was that bad... Until I drove our JLU Rubicon. The back to back on them was night and day and the JKU was really bad in comparison with how it bounced and threw you around on what were really not too bad of roads.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:25 am
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:11 am

:lol:

I commute 6 miles a day. About ready to start riding to work.
Yeah, you have a really short commute. :lol: Riding to work would be 5/7.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 am
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 am

Yeah, you have a really short commute. :lol: Riding to work would be 5/7.
:dat:

Shame we don't have a shower here.
:dat: would definitely be a perk. I have a YMCA next door which could work. Maybe I should try out riding to work. 15ish miles... doable.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:14 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 am

Shame we don't have a shower here.
:dat: would definitely be a perk. I have a YMCA next door which could work. Maybe I should try out riding to work. 15ish miles... doable.
I used to cycle commute 10 miles to the office. Gym in the building for showers was critical.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 am
I really didn't think the ride in my 2015 Hard Rock was that bad... Until I drove our JLU Rubicon. The back to back on them was night and day and the JKU was really bad in comparison with how it bounced and threw you around on what were really not too bad of roads.
Maybe that was the problem. I'd go from the JK to my 92 GMT400 and couldn't believe how smooth and easy the 20 year older truck was to drive. Then I got my ZR2, which was so much better than the JK, I just assumed they drove like crap.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 pm
max225 wrote:

FWIW, there is a solid chance I damaged a wheel or two (17") this weekend. I was on I-80, which is a major highway, and hit the largest tar snake I've ever seen. Fully bottomed the suspension with a giant slam. It was horrific. I was dodging potholes the size of crock pots before that.

:sad:

PA is, outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, an incredibly poor state. And even Philly is an incredibly poor city. They don't have money to maintain roads and it shows.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 pm According to this forum the "jeepyness" is the only way to survive shitty northeastern/Midwestern roads that 1/4 of the country lives with. In seriousness though, it seems like the JL is actually a pretty nice DD if you don't care about gas costs.
FWIW, there is a solid chance I damaged a wheel or two (17") this weekend. I was on I-80, which is a major highway, and hit the largest tar snake I've ever seen. Fully bottomed the suspension with a giant slam. It was horrific. I was dodging potholes the size of crock pots before that.

PA is, outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, an incredibly poor state. And even Philly is an incredibly poor city. They don't have money to maintain roads and it shows.
It's how the entire upper midwest and NE of the country are. Terrible. I got air in the Volt on the way in today over a pavement heave or something on the left lane of the highway. Really glad I'm running the 15" wheels and balloon tires.

Only the :thankstrump: :fakenews: forumbrehs in the south and west refuse to believe it.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:46 am

It's how the entire upper midwest and NE of the country are. Terrible. I got air in the Volt on the way in today over a pavement heave or something on the left lane of the highway. Really glad I'm running the 15" wheels and balloon tires.

Only the :thankstrump: :fakenews: forumbrehs in the south and west refuse to believe it.

Everything North of the Ohio river is fucked, including Cincinnati.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh, I'm not a disbeliever, I've driven all over the US... I just choose to live somewhere better.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:49 am

Everything North of the Ohio river is fucked, including Cincinnati.
Cincinnati is really bad.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah. You have it worse I'm sure. Some of the roads in NY had actual signs up that said "Rough Road 5 Mi" lol.... like they acknowledge it and DGAF here's a $2k sign instead of a paving job.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am

Yeah. You have it worse I'm sure. Some of the roads in NY had actual signs up that said "Rough Road 5 Mi" lol.... like they acknowledge it and DGAF here's a $2k sign instead of a paving job.
I dunno, we've driven all over the region and it's bad everywhere. It's going to become a major issue as all states claim to be too poor to fix it. I'm not even sure what all my state income tax, car reg, and property tax go to anymore. I really think it's a big contributing factor to crossover adoption.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:51 am Cincinnati is really bad.
Brohio in general is pretty much a no-man's land.
Basically just one big :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:10 pm And this is why I've largely given up on driving a "car" in this area. We have potholes the size of motorcycles opening up with the current freeze-thaw cycles going on. I get shit on for it, but the :aintcare: life is great in a :jeep: or a :truk:

The wife called me today to just tell me that she hit a chunk of pavement that was kicked up from the vehicle in front of her.