Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:13 pm http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5963954513.html

10k out here... But higher miles... they are not super easy to find with low miles under/at 10k

Dam white wheels :disgust:
Not bad, I bet they would take $10,500 no prob:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... e1=FIAT500

Is that.. a big brake kit, or just covers? :notsure:

Dat exhaust, gewd lord:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... e1=FIAT500
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 pm
maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:31 pm Either way back on track...

One thing that sucks about the 2 door vs the 4.

The 2 comes with an epic shitty/tiny 18.6 gallon gas tank... in a vehicle that will average 15ish it'll make you stop quite a fair amount on road trips.
The JKU has a 22.5 gallon tank and the same MPG. So you have about 60 miles of extra range which isn't too shabby.
Either one is silly to use as a daily driver unless the owner works as a forest ranger or has no commute. I've been playing with the idea of buying a new Wrangler and a used Abarf or Miata.
:plac: :doit:
Johnny_P

Guise. All new JK's have brake actuated LSD type action. They'll all be fine unless extreme rock crawling. Even the LSD is probably unnecessary as you can just shift it to 4WD if you're on snow packed roads.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:23 pm Guise. All new JK's have brake actuated LSD type action. They'll all be fine unless extreme rock crawling. Even the LSD is probably unnecessary as you can just shift it to 4WD if you're on snow packed roads.
I never touched 4-Lo when I was derping around in the snowy forest.
:impressive:

I mean, the only time I've actually needed 4WD was once in college. I was driving up a rather steep long hill after it had just snowed, so like 2" on the ground. The ranger just 1 wheel peeled in 2WD. Flipped that bish into 4- :hai: and it went up the hill like a damn snowmobile. Open diffs and all. And no brake based electronic fake LSD action or anything.

That was a good truck. Until everything fell apart on it because Ranger.
Johnny_P

Now I really want my truck back :sad:
I had an F150 in high school
And then a Ranger to finish out high school and start college with

Much truckage. Then got into small dumb cars. Should have kept on to trucks.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:36 pm

:impressive:

I mean, the only time I've actually needed 4WD was once in college. I was driving up a rather steep long hill after it had just snowed, so like 2" on the ground. The ranger just 1 wheel peeled in 2WD. Flipped that bish into 4- :hai: and it went up the hill like a damn snowmobile. Open diffs and all. And no brake based electronic fake LSD action or anything.

That was a good truck. Until everything fell apart on it because Ranger.
Oh, I mean I still had it in 4-hi.
That's what I figured. Even in 4-Hi it's got to be totally fine.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:37 pm Now I really want my truck back :sad:

It is all fun and games until you have to fill up a 31 gallon tank at $5 a gallon. Although I think I averaged better on donkey piss 87 in the burban that I would in an sti :( dat progress
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 pm

It is all fun and games until you have to fill up a 31 gallon tank at $5 a gallon. Although I think I averaged better on donkey piss 87 in the burban that I would in an sti :( dat progress
On the highway my car should get 25-27 MPG. In the city it's 14-17. But that's real actual city driving, not "my town has 1 stop light" city driving.

Yeah filling up the truck was a kick in the balls every time. But my old truck averaged like 12 I think doing back road rural driving. It was pretty bad on gas. New trucks are much better in that regard.

I don't care so much about the MPG. I am quickly approaching the point where I :aintcare: about fun cars anymore. The best way for me to NFG on cars is to get a truck. Because any car will make me want to drive faster and make me want to get the sport package and all that unnecessary stuff. But a truck is supposed to drive kind of oafy and you're not going to be tearing up any back roads in them. No desire to do so. i.e. just get in and drive to wherever you're going with your automatic and ample low end power NFG and calm.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:34 pm

On the highway my car should get 25-27 MPG. In the city it's 14-17. But that's real actual city driving, not "my town has 1 stop light" city driving.

Yeah filling up the truck was a kick in the balls every time. But my old truck averaged like 12 I think doing back road rural driving. It was pretty bad on gas. New trucks are much better in that regard.

I don't care so much about the MPG. I am quickly approaching the point where I :aintcare: about fun cars anymore. The best way for me to NFG on cars is to get a truck. Because any car will make me want to drive faster and make me want to get the sport package and all that unnecessary stuff. But a truck is supposed to drive kind of oafy and you're not going to be tearing up any back roads in them. No desire to do so. i.e. just get in and drive to wherever you're going with your automatic and ample low end power NFG and calm.
Bruh you can't say this after buying the most fun new car $35k can buy outside of useless 2 doors.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:37 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Bruh you can't say this after buying the most fun new car $35k can buy outside of useless 2 doors.
I greatly enjoy my car.

What I wanted was a V8 powered :dedong: muscle car, or a Miata. :lol: I couldn't get either because of my living situation right now. I then wanted a truck to get out of cars entirely. Couldn't bring myself to do it because I had nowhere to park it despite almost purchasing (3) separate Tacomas. So I ended up with this because no way in hell am I driving a stupid gas efficient penalty box that drove worse in every way than my broken GTI. The STI is an improvement in every way over the GTI. The handling, power, braking, transmission, throttle response, etc all kill the GTI. I gave up some dash stroking ability but who cares about that.

It's a good car don't get me wrong. But I really did actually want a truck.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:58 pm
maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:37 pm

I greatly enjoy my car.

What I wanted was a V8 powered :dedong: muscle car, or a Miata. :lol: I couldn't get either because of my living situation right now. I then wanted a truck to get out of cars entirely. Couldn't bring myself to do it because I had nowhere to park it despite almost purchasing (3) separate Tacomas. So I ended up with this because no way in hell am I driving a stupid gas efficient penalty box that drove worse in every way than my broken GTI.

I get that... but it seems like truck would have worked also ... but i guess you'd have to go 4 whore which means epic length and "these babies sell themselves" which means 40k for a taco or colorado after tax.... or 37k for an STI.

:gaydance:
Johnny_P

2 door Tacoma with a V6 and 4x4 to haul my bikes and :doge: around.
Gotta get a really old Taco for that, and :nope: prices are stupid plus old ass rusty truck bullshit problems ain't happening.
All current trucks are too long to park, 180" max length so I can actually fit it into a spot.
Jeep JK 2 door came close to the requirements but can't carry bikes in it so it was out. I did not like the 4 door at all.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:00 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:58 pm
I greatly enjoy my car.

What I wanted was a V8 powered :dedong: muscle car, or a Miata. :lol: I couldn't get either because of my living situation right now. I then wanted a truck to get out of cars entirely. Couldn't bring myself to do it because I had nowhere to park it despite almost purchasing (3) separate Tacomas. So I ended up with this because no way in hell am I driving a stupid gas efficient penalty box that drove worse in every way than my broken GTI.

I get that... but it seems like truck would have worked also ... but i guess you'd have to go 4 whore which means epic length and "these babies sell themselves" which means 40k for a taco or colorado after tax.... or 37k for an STI.

:gaydance:
Prices would have been basically identical. Just the Colorado/Taco is 212" long. 32" longer than the STI. Bruh I'm already limited in parking from what I could squeeze the GTI into, I ain't driving around for 30 mins every day looking for a :dedong: parking spot.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:04 am STI is definitely a lot of bang for the buck.

Huge trunk, comfy seats, and track ready specs.
Its a pretty epic DD car.
The truckwants will last for a long time though.
But yes I am enjoying the F outta this car.
Johnny_P

If the Jeep pickup is regular cab.... it'll be tempting.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:07 am If the Jeep pickup is regular cab.... it'll be tempting.
:butwhy: if they keep the length at bay, it'll only be 182" long but they probably have to stretch it to make it more useless, otherwise the bed will look like a :jalepenis:
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:09 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:07 am If the Jeep pickup is regular cab.... it'll be tempting.
:butwhy: if they keep the length at bay, it'll only be 182" long but they probably have to stretch it to make it more useless, otherwise the bed will look like a :jalepenis:
Reg cab on the current JKU platform would allow for a 5.5' bed with just a mild stretch to the length. Much shorter than current :dedong: "mid size" trucks at 212-214" minimum length.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:19 am Only thing the Forks is missing is 20+ MPG.

New Canyonado with dat 8-speed is epic.

8 speed trannies are great.
Sounds like the 8AT made quite a difference.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:19 am Only thing the Forks is missing is 20+ MPG.

New Canyonado with dat 8-speed is epic.

8 speed trannies are great.
Well you kind of have an older engine tech that doesn't disable 2/4 of the cylinders and stupid air scoops that kill ground clearance. :lol: That's how you get to 20+. at the end of the day you're moving a brick at 70mph through the winds of change.
SixSpeeder

Well, the engine is 20 years old...
max225

SixSpeeder wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:44 am

The Chevy has 1 cam 2 valves per cyl and push rods ...
SixSpeeder

maxtdi wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:48 am

Touche
Johnny_P

Dat tractor motor :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

maxtdi wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:48 am

Pretty much the pinnacle of pushrod tech. It's pretty :impressive: how much can be done with 1 brub stick and 16 valves.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/wran ... ear-axles/

So the Bronco will have solid front/rear axles... dat history coming back. So time to increase displacement and decrease transmission gears next :lolgasm:

It sounds like it'll be a legit competitor to the Wrangler... The question is 2 or 4 door or both. If I was ford... I'd have to make it a 4, little business case for 2.