Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 am
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 am

What makes zero sense?
Wheeling a $50k+ JLR to the point of rolling it like that.

I wouldn't attempt a trail like that with a brand new rig, personally.
:dat:

you should be in a more specialized ZFG mobile. The idea of doing that in a daily driver is very cringy for me, personally. Same reason your racecar shouldnt be a daily.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 am

you should be in a more specialized ZFG mobile. The idea of doing that in a daily driver is very cringy for me, personally. Same reason your racecar shouldnt be a daily.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

What if it isn't his daily? :mindblown:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I agree with this, Troy does it successfully doe so what do I know. Still auto sport vs dd are such conflicting things.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:
dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 am :dat:

I agree with this, Troy does it successfully doe so what do I know. Still auto sport vs dd are such conflicting things.
Autox in stock class is quite different. I'm more likely to break my car on public roads than at autox.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:08 pm

way less chance to destroy hard parts in auto x than rock climbing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm
Tarspin wrote:
Autox in stock class is quite different. I'm more likely to break my car on public roads than at autox.
I see what you're saying but depending on what car you compete with you could end up in a tiny car that gets 9 mpg or whatever other compromise there is. Ideal situation is a decent fuel efficient cube thats fun to drive and a really stiff wedge to crush the competition with on a track.

I really want an X1/9 with good suspension and a k20 motor reworked for 200 hp.... but not as a DD.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:03 pm

I mean, its a doll'ed up jeep with a plate. Id make the assumption that if you went hog wild on a "jeep" rock crawler, the really hardcore guys trailer them in. See a brand new lifted 50k vehicle with tags makes me thing its likely his only car. Or maybe a second car in the stable? Either way, its an expensive oops.

We have a localish guy that is the head dude in jeep groups. He is super hardcore. Flipped his 6 mo old JKU when they were new in ~2014 redesign. Went FULL custom cage and yolo with zero inclosed cabin. When it rains, hes :moist: and he rocks just a bikini type fabric type. Its his daily AND a ZFG mobile. Has every trick bolt you you can do for drivetrain and gearing. That takes a special breed. He also knocks down $200k+/yr so money isnt the deal. #lifestyle
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:34 pm

I mean, its a doll'ed up jeep with a plate. Id make the assumption that if you went hog wild on a "jeep" rock crawler, the really hardcore guys trailer them in. See a brand new lifted 50k vehicle with tags makes me thing its likely his only car. Or maybe a second car in the stable? Either way, its an expensive oops.

We have a localish guy that is the head dude in jeep groups. He is super hardcore. Flipped his 6 mo old JKU when they were new in ~2014 redesign. Went FULL custom cage and yolo with zero inclosed cabin. When it rains, hes :moist: and he rocks just a bikini type fabric type. Its his daily AND a ZFG mobile. Has every trick bolt you you can do for drivetrain and gearing. That takes a special breed. He also knocks down $200k+/yr so money isnt the deal. #lifestyle
200k a year doesn’t allow for that kind of bullshittery, unless you live like there is no tomorrow
Last edited by max225 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

Some places around here require all vehicles to be plated before being allowed on the property. I see and know plenty of rigs being towed around while still having plates on them. Especially when traveling long distances to get to your wheelin' spot. Plenty of people making way less than $200k/yr that have a JK/U that's a second vehicle they can beat on.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm

200k a year doesn’t allow for that kind of bullshittery, unless you live like there is no tomorrow
:wat: ?

bruh, here in airboat nation you live like a king on $200k. 50% gone for taxman, thats $100k free and clear. Typical budget would suggest there is about $2k/mo of pure fuck off money w/ $3k/mo house note.
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:43 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm

bruh, here in airboat nation you live like a king on $200k. 50% gone for taxman, thats $100k free and clear. Typical budget would suggest there is about $2k/mo of pure fuck off money w/ $3k/mo house note.
Just sayin... doesn't matter where you are anymore as most things (outside of real estate) pretty much cost the same. 100k free and clear is not much money if you care about things like retirement, crotchfruit, travel etc. Throwing 25k away like no tomorrow on flipping a jeep is just stupid. There are better ways of going about it. But :derp: 's are gonna :derp:
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:46 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Just sayin... doesn't matter where you are anymore as most things (outside of real estate) pretty much cost the same. 100k free and clear is not much money if you care about things like retirement, crotchfruit, travel etc. Throwing 25k away like no tomorrow on flipping a jeep is just stupid. There are better ways of going about it. But :derp: 's are gonna :derp:
:gtfo:

An extra $3k/mo here is roughly what that would mean for us and would be absolutely life-changing. That's "never turn a wrench again, retire at 55, drive a late-model Porsche, AND go to Europe every year" money.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:51 pm

An extra $3k/mo here is roughly what that would mean for us and would be absolutely life-changing. That's "never turn a wrench again, retire at 55, drive a late-model Porsche, AND go to Europe every year" money.
:lolgasm: you forgot how to math. Multiply that # by 5 and then you're in the range for what you just described.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm
I'm going with a dudebrah driving an open cockpit Jeep as a daily isn't caring much about :crotchfruit: or even relationshits.
actually has wife and teenage kids. :notbad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

here is his jeep.

Last edited by dubshow on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:01 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm going with a dudebrah driving an open cockpit Jeep as a daily isn't caring much about :crotchfruit: or even relationshits.
it is the airboat way. FK their college funds :lol: :lol:
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm here is his jeep.

:notbad: I mean if keeps that for 5-10 years and doesn't flip it annually it isn't too bad of a toy at that income level.
Apex

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm here is his jeep.

:notbad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:01 pm

They seem well provided for :iono:

realistically, he is probably $60k into that jeep. ~$1250/mo over the last 4 years. It isnt outright crazy if thats your life. We all spend over $1k on car bullshit per month in here.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:58 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:51 pm

:lolgasm: you forgot how to math. Multiply that # by 5 and then you're in the range for what you just described.
$40k/year after tax is absolutely enough to spend an additional $10k on cars, $10k on vacations, and put the other half into retiring early... :math:

Life is cheap outside of vacations, cars, and paying for housing in a few metro areas.
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm

They seem well provided for :iono:

realistically, he is probably $60k into that jeep. ~$1250/mo over the last 4 years. It isnt outright crazy if thats your life. We all spend over $1k on car bullshit per month in here.
I am around there... closer to 1k all in, but it isn't a toy it is my DD and primary transportation provider. I'd cringe at 1250 a month for a toy...
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:12 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:58 pm

$40k/year after tax is absolutely enough to spend an additional $10k on cars, $10k on vacations, and put the other half into retiring early... :math:

Life is cheap outside of vacations, cars, and paying for housing in a few metro areas.
I did the math this weekend actually. I want to retire early with the AZN. We mapped our income and expenses for the next 6 years... Early retirement isn't in the cards unless we swear of crotchfruit completely and don't spend more than 50k a year on living, which is REALLY hard. Our baseline is 65-70k anything less you start cutting stuff out. Shitty place to live, no steak, cheap cars etc.
~400 a month on food
~750 a month on travel
~1200 a month on two vehicles/insurance/gas etc we're talking cheapish vehicles like her TSX and my Civic.
~500 a month on eating out
~2000 a month for miscellaneous expenses that pop up for either one of us (health insurance, clothes etc, averaged out)
~2500 a month on an apartment or a house in some bumfuckegypt.
~70k a year CLEAN right there. That's 700k you need to SAVE to get only 10 years out of it...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

#kidfree
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

Melon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 pm#kidfree
It is hugely cheaper until they hit 30 y/o or so and then help you... until then ... :mindblown: expensive if you're not a welfare recipient which is why most people in the real middle class can't afford it or cut down on this luxury.